Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

cool dance moves posted:

Speaking of electoralism, hows Trillbillies handling this? I stopped listening right about the time Tarrence got busted for drugs because lmao that he went from talking about executing rich people to immediately cracking the moment a cop pulled him over for like a busted taillight

I just started listening since I needed more audio content to distract me from my trash job and its mostly them going insane due to coronavirus quarantine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Xaris posted:

i'm not even sure why that comparison is considered bad. tds isues (mostly bush to early obama era was the only time i watched it) was that yeah it was general daily mockery of media pundits and like lmao john ashcroft wants to cover up boobs on a statue, and this talking head said a dumb thing, insert smirking funny face. the thing is it never actually went anything deeper of actual people and societal issues, conveniently ignored all the idiot libs, and the only time it tried to do any advocation was ~rally to restore sanity~ garbage because it wanted to do ~we're a both-sides indenpedent centrism comedy show~

chapo generally does the same thing without any stupid pretense of trying to be ~independent both-sideism~, and more inclusive of the mocking the DC political elite westwing libs and goppers; lol david frum and matty ygglesia wrote a dumb thing; lol chris coons said seggregation is good; cnn is cutting off bernie. but also go out and canvass, phonebank, go primary pelosi, etc.

yeah i agree, and this might sound corny as hell to say, but i think chapo has done far more to raise political consciousness among its listeners and actually get them to get involved in politics whether that be local or national than the daily show ever did/has done

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farm Frenzy posted:

people say this as if it wouldnt also be embarassing to listen to the doughy podcast idiots advocate for armed struggle

I know I’m just being mean

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Cnidaria posted:

there's an E1 episode where felix plays an amazing knausgard-like character and surprisingly I think it's way before he got obsessed with the books

i tried listening to that but i could never get into e1

hope felix returns to this someday because the books (at least the first 5, can't vouch for 6 yet) are actually incredibly compelling, even if they're about the most mundane poo poo, and knausgard is a complete freak but also maybe the most honest person alive and imo genuinely interesting

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

Lmfao the chapo 180 electoral flip, amazing and with no shame

what was the flip?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cool dance moves posted:

Speaking of electoralism, hows Trillbillies handling this? I stopped listening right about the time Tarrence got busted for drugs because lmao that he went from talking about executing rich people to immediately cracking the moment a cop pulled him over for like a busted taillight

They got on the bernie train like the day before everything collapsed and then went right back to drug use, insanity, and extremely local Kentucky gossip ftw

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i only listen to trillbillys so i can renew my fcc license to use the word yall

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

what was the flip?

Votes matter-> votes no longer matter

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly Terrence sounds normal again now that hope has been extinguished but Tom and Tanya do seem to be fraying under quarantine and the media suck job on Beshear and I hope they don’t end up religious or sober or some other form of southern malady.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Homeless Friend posted:

Is this supposed to be some sort of "you said voting matter when the candidate you wanted was running but now it doesn't when they aren't :smug:" own?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kind of agree with Terrence too that that was the last chance for electing a social democrat and for M4A, now people need to prepare for poo poo to get much worse because there’s no way the right wing doesn't ascend during the coming crisis and clinging to social democrat positions post 2020 is a martyring yourself for a hopeless compromise.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the contradictions we though were being heightened were easily resolved with one pandemic and that’s likely to continue

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Still crossing my fingers for the us to balkanize

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Is this supposed to be some sort of "you said voting matter when the candidate you wanted was running but now it doesn't when they aren't :smug:" own?

It's more the lol at the speed, also I had to read a billion cspam post about moaning about the moralistic nature of voting and they helped cause that. It's called spite b*tch.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Lol I remember when Amber talked about Corben being too nice helped him lose, unlike Bernie who was going to beat Biden up.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

cool dance moves posted:

what are you getting at here.. if you get pulled over you have to shoot the cop if you really believe in revolutionary politics?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Cnidaria posted:

im happy that felix has found his new calling: watching godawful nbc family dramas

as there are a wealth of Harlequin romance novels, there are a wealth of made-for-TV movies

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Homeless Friend posted:

Politics is the art of the possible. It was important to get Bernie in the Whitehouse, it doesn't matter if Joe Biden gets in the Whitehouse so they act accordingly. Being rigid and non-adaptive doesn't seem like a good strategy for American politics.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

sus is a normal word you dipshit. i know old people that have been saying sus for decades

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Pizza Segregationist posted:

what are you getting at here.. if you get pulled over you have to shoot the cop if you really believe in revolutionary politics?

Of course not! But he should've had the wherewithal to not immediately own up that he had weed in his car. As i understand it, he offered that info up without even knowing what he was pulled over for or whether the cop was going to search his car.

Sounds like they've sort of chilled out though? I'll give them another listen in a couple of weeks once everyone has fully done their Bernie postmortems, myself included

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cool dance moves posted:

Of course not! But he should've had the wherewithal to not immediately own up that he had weed in his car. As i understand it, he offered that info up without even knowing what he was pulled over for or whether the cop was going to search his car.

Sounds like they've sort of chilled out though? I'll give them another listen in a couple of weeks once everyone has fully done their Bernie postmortems, myself included

I can sympathize with that because I tried to lie out of that and all it got me was a cop mocking me and not letting me call my GF until they kept me in a cell all night.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I just want Virgil to come out of hiding :(

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don’t he’s boring as gently caress 98% of the time

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lancemantis posted:

I don’t he’s boring as gently caress 98% of the time

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

My hive mind project is working, soon both of you will be a part of T-man

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I can sympathize with that because I tried to lie out of that and all it got me was a cop mocking me and not letting me call my GF until they kept me in a cell all night.

a time that comes to mind is when I did get away with because it was 4 AM and you bet your rear end that cop did not want to call up a judge before Sunday Service

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pizza Segregationist posted:

If you listen to the ep, he absolutely panicked. A run of the mill libertarian would have come out of that interaction intact

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It sucks rear end with cops because half the time they are asking you incriminating questions they already smell the weed they’re going to search you for and just want to gently caress with you because you have squirrelly abnormal demeanor

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The thing to remember with cops is they’re either consciously or unconsciously lying and you don’t have to do poo poo more than the bare minimum for them

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
cops just say whatever they want to get whatever reaction they want without consequence lol

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

olives black posted:

I just want Virgil to come out of hiding :(

virgil is spending the quarantine as a sub in an S&M dungeon, he's living his best life, just let him be and he'll be back, pale and drained like nothing was happening

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmao at Moderate Rebels roasting Nathan Robinson on their bernie postmortem episode.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

virgil is on religious pilgrimage to fiji

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I appreciate Amber calling out people who praise Occupy Wall Street because "it started a conversation"

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Iridium posted:

virgil is spending the quarantine as a sub in an S&M dungeon, he's living his best life, just let him be and he'll be back, pale and drained like nothing was happening

His dom is making him drink tap water

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

been listening to blowback and holy gently caress it is really good

are there any other podcasts in that vein? like, long form contextualization/investigation with tight pacing and editing?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Xaris posted:

i'm not even sure why that comparison is considered bad. tds isues (mostly bush to early obama era was the only time i watched it) was that yeah it was general daily mockery of media pundits and like lmao john ashcroft wants to cover up boobs on a statue, and this talking head said a dumb thing, insert smirking funny face. the thing is it never actually went anything deeper of actual people and societal issues, conveniently ignored all the idiot libs, and the only time it tried to do any advocation was ~rally to restore sanity~ garbage because it wanted to do ~we're a both-sides indenpedent centrism comedy show~

chapo generally does the same thing without any stupid pretense of trying to be ~independent both-sideism~, and more inclusive of the mocking the DC political elite westwing libs and goppers; lol david frum and matty ygglesia wrote a dumb thing; lol chris coons said seggregation is good; cnn is cutting off bernie. but also go out and canvass, phonebank, go primary pelosi, etc.

this is a fair point. the daily show /was/ funny during the bush years and only got kinda bad when obama took office

this comparison would work better if bernie became president, though i guess you can talk about them overly hyping the bernie campaign as a light version of it

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

dead gay comedy forums posted:

been listening to blowback and holy gently caress it is really good

are there any other podcasts in that vein? like, long form contextualization/investigation with tight pacing and editing?

Revolutions is the first to come to mind but it's not so tightly paced/edited. Blowback is extremely good at that. Those bleak musical scores at the end :kiss:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

cool dance moves posted:

Revolutions is the first to come to mind but it's not so tightly paced/edited. Blowback is extremely good at that. Those bleak musical scores at the end :kiss:

the music picks are in Noah Hawley-esque levels of curatory quality (adjusted for lefty podcasting capacities ofc)

going to check Revolutions, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
in the ruins of the bernie campaign there are only pods