Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Early magnesium wheels had lots of problems with corrosion, which is one reason why they went away. Modern magnesium alloys don't have the same problems, supposedly. Mg alloys are up to 1/3 lighter than aluminium alloys but have lower strength in general. IIRC VW has been using Mg in their gearboxes of late, for example, where demands on temperature resistance and strength aren't as high.
Some Hondas (Euro Accords, Acura TSX) also use magnesium gearbox cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The sequential box in Ken Block's cossie was magnesium. It was a real bitch to put out.

I assume a lot of race boxes are also mag.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My quick googling shows Magnesium being approx 34% lighter than Aluminum per volume. That's more than I would have thought.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

My quick googling shows Magnesium being approx 34% lighter than Aluminum per volume. That's more than I would have thought.

Yeah, but you might need more magnesium by volume to hit a strength target. So unless the original design for the aluminum part wasn't properly optimized for weight savings, that's a best-case weight savings.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

I was at a random guy's backyard shop having a turbo rebuilt around 2001. He was the turbo guru of the area, Tom at Euro Car Tuning (which later became ECS Tuning) referred me to him.

It was a typical old man's backyard machine shop, except he had a lot of specialty equipment, obviously more than a hobby. We were bullshitting and he pointed to something off to the side. It was a Chevy 350 (pre-LS days) made of magnesium. He had some story about prototyping it, but what I remember was that I could lift it up with one arm. I wish I had pictures.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

If I had gently caress you money, I would be machining 13B/20B/26B plates and housings out of magnesium and swapping them in every 911 I could get my hands on. Because a turbo rear engine car isn't exciting enough, it also needs to be in constant danger of combusting into white hot flames simply from idling.

Edit: Still want a 997.1 with a dead engine from IMS failure to swap a turbo 13B into.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, but you might need more magnesium by volume to hit a strength target. So unless the original design for the aluminum part wasn't properly optimized for weight savings, that's a best-case weight savings.

Not the same materials (or brands) as being discussed, but as an example of this I can mention the Mopar 340 I switched from some ancient Crane Cams design of alu roller rockers to brand new steel Comp Cam roller rockers, and out of curiosity I measured them. Turns out a steel rocker arm was actually a couple of grams lighter than an aluminium one, probably because of suboptimal design.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

McTinkerson posted:

it also needs to be in constant danger of combusting into white hot flames simply from idling.

I see you want any Ferrari from the mid 90s onward then?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dave Inc. posted:

The 3.0 and 3.2 have more or less the same issues with only a couple of failure points, none catastrophic, but all costly. Well the 3.0 has poor chain tensioners but those can be replaced for about $1k. I don't know a lot about the 2.7 other than that the magnesium block can fail, which is not great and a reason why lots try to stay away from them or you find later 3.0s in 73-77 models. For the 3.0 and 3.2 they'll all eventually need a rebuild for head stud failure, but that's a one time thing. General maintenance, though, is a god-damned breeze. Easiest car to take care of for regular things that I've ever owned*.

The 3.0 is really about as quick as the 3.2 considering additional mass, and while the CIS can be a pain to learn it runs rather well if it's properly sorted and vacuum leak free.

The 915 vs. the G50 I can't say. I understand the G50 feels much more like a modern transmission while the 915 was clearly designed in the 60s, but if the synchros are in good shape (after $3000 they will be) then it's capable and smooth if you're used to it; it requires patient and deliberate shifts, though, which is charming in a way. I wouldn't pay the premium for an '88 or '89 to get the G50 instead of the 915.

I'm rambling. 81-83 SCs are great value, the early SCs were a little rougher, and the carreras are better but not that big a step above until 88/89. There are lots of buyers guides out there but in general at this point it's more about the condition of the individual car than its year. Going for a good '81 over an okay '86 would be fine, and if one has a documented engine/trans rebuild you're looking good.

* Caveat on that. They require valve adjustments every 10k miles which is something of a chore and runs about $500 at a shop or $100 at home for the valve cover gasket kit.

Thanks for the awesome effortpost. Sounds like really, anything that's well maintained from the 80s would be a decent place to start, and the G50 vs 915 isn't really a huge deal. I guess I'm having a tough time trying to get a sense of the market, since I see 80s air-cooled cars selling anywhere between 30k and 80k on Bring a Trailer, and it's tough for a newcomer to figure out what percent of a final price is the car versus maintenance versus something like rarity.

And with respect to maintenance, is it really that easy? There are a lot of independent Porsche aircooled shops within easy driving distance of me, but it seems like half of the listings I see have "$10-20k in receipts from the last year!"

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I really, really, really liked this - https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=546709082&LNX=PSEMAILLEAD

Only way it could be better was if it was a Targa and/or S trim. Color is perfect.

One owner, always dealer maintained, all records.

I offered him 33 which he said he thought was reasonable, but he was waiting for another offer to finalize. That offer vaporized so we started talking again. I told him I could send the money today, schedule a pickup, and it'd be easy as possible - I just wanted to do due diligence with a PPI 20 minutes away, which I would pay for. He was a real jerk about everything, said the PPI was too inconvenient, claimed he had another offer, said he would stop talking to me right there, etc.

Jesus, are all 911 owners like this? I noticed the dealer maintenance records are full of him complaining about the horn not being loud enough, so maybe that's reflective of who I'm dealing with.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

I really, really, really liked this - https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=546709082&LNX=PSEMAILLEAD

Only way it could be better was if it was a Targa and/or S trim. Color is perfect.

I offered him 33 which he said he thought was reasonable, but he was waiting for another offer to finalize. That offer vaporized so we started talking again. I told him I could send the money today, schedule a pickup, and it'd be easy as possible - I just wanted to do due diligence with a PPI 20 minutes away, which I would pay for. He was a real jerk about everything, said the PPI was too inconvenient, claimed he had another offer, said he would stop talking to me right there, etc.

Jesus, are all 911 owners like this? I noticed the dealer maintenance records are full of him complaining about the horn not being loud enough, so maybe that's reflective of who I'm dealing with.

I had a buyer want a PPI on my basket case BMW 535xi last year. It was more inconvenient than the buyer coming to my house, giving me cash, and driving away. But it wasn't that inconvenient. The PPI showed nothing that wasn't already disclosed, the buyer gave me cash and drove away.

If the seller of the 911 pushes back that hard, there's something he doesn't want discovered.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

blk posted:

Yeah, I mean many Porsche owners are going to be prima donnas about their cars, especially those that put...2800 miles/year on a car for 13 years. PPIs are fairly standard in the Porsche world, fwiw.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anyone who balks at a PPI is hiding something.

Those dealer records are of repairs/maintenance. The "recommended service/repairs" sheets were carefully omitted.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much

Motronic posted:

Anyone who balks at a PPI is hiding something.

Those dealer records are of repairs/maintenance. The "recommended service/repairs" sheets were carefully omitted.

I was trying to buy a 2009 C4S PDK launch edition in San Diego in Feb, and the owner was difficult, dragged his feet on ppi or sending pics, all the same stuff. I finally used carfax garage to find where he'd had it serviced and called them about the car; where I heard the words 'bent tie rod' and 'worn front CV joints' for the first time.

I think that car has a big problem and the owner knows it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, I mean many Porsche owners are going to be prima donnas about their cars, especially those that put...2800 miles/year on a car for 13 years. PPIs are fairly standard in the Porsche world, fwiw.

Yeah a PPI is almost expected. When my wife was still thinking about a Cayman we had a couple done then turned the results over to the owner for future sales.

poo poo, when I bought my SC the guy let me borrow it overnight to drive it in to Dallas for a PPI since he was 1.5 hours away and didn't have the time.

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks for the awesome effortpost. Sounds like really, anything that's well maintained from the 80s would be a decent place to start, and the G50 vs 915 isn't really a huge deal. I guess I'm having a tough time trying to get a sense of the market, since I see 80s air-cooled cars selling anywhere between 30k and 80k on Bring a Trailer, and it's tough for a newcomer to figure out what percent of a final price is the car versus maintenance versus something like rarity.

And with respect to maintenance, is it really that easy? There are a lot of independent Porsche aircooled shops within easy driving distance of me, but it seems like half of the listings I see have "$10-20k in receipts from the last year!"

Your normal maintenance is fairly simple, yes, so long as you're comfortable getting the car in the air yourself. Those big bills are only going to be for things like head stud failures on the SC or top-end rebuilds on the 3.2. It's definitely worth finding out if those have been done already since they will happen, just a matter of when. Looking at my own maintenance log I've spent $20k in seven years of ownership on required maintenance, $8.7k on upgrades and $4.8k on optional maintenance (things that didn't need to be done but I wanted it nicer or heavy duty track use). $13k of that was from an engine rebuild for a head stud failure, new 1st and 2nd gear synchros and all new clutch, pressure plate and assorted hardware. So if the rebuild had been done prior to me buying it and I weren't using the car on track a few times a year or finding stupid ways to spend money I would have spent less than $10k in 7 years, which is not bad for an old Porsche I think. Oh, and I've put about 25,000 miles on it myself.

I'm fixing to spend a good bit more but that's because it's almost 40 years old so the overall paint and seat leather has finally given up.

Edit: And it goes without saying that you should do stuff yourself to save money. That overall cost would be about 30% higher had I taken it to shops for everything. I try to limit shop exposure to alignments and diagnoses when I can't figure something out.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 16, 2020

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
He may have also rolled the miles back - slightly suspicious that he had snow tires on a car with such low miles. You would think if it was a DD the miles would be higher. Definitely shady regardless if he refused the PPI.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

quote:

You would think if it was a DD the miles would be higher.

He's a realtor, my guess is it was his show-up-and-impress-clients car. He negotiates like he thinks he's a hot poo poo negotiator, too, but he's really just a dick bag about it.

Here's the service history - surprised coil packs came so early and he did the 60k ahead of the odometer (but maybe not the clock): https://docdro.id/yrcyyk6

blk fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 18, 2020

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
The coil packs were susceptible to ageing and not especially durable in the 996 and Cayenne.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm sure you guys are also looking at BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-porsche-cayenne-turbo-9/

lol

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dave Inc. posted:

The coil packs were susceptible to ageing and not especially durable in the 996 and Cayenne.

The last set I bought ended in like -7 or something. Yes, they've revised the part 8 times and I bet they still don't have it right.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How expensive do you think it would be to replace that awful trim? Would I need a whole new wheel?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/806738694/overview/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think so, unless you just want to put a leather cover over it.. which would probably be what I would try first tbh.

What about the rest of the interior trim?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do targa models command a premium?

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Swapping the steering wheels around isn't too big of a deal, there's Rennlist threads with all the details. It's mostly a question of getting all the parts together with the right options and airbag, and then finding an indy or a dealer without exorbitant prices for a piwis flash.

It's not just the wheel, though, the macassar package is a lot of trim bits that you'll have to find, disassemble the doors, etc. And you'll have to think about either putting it back in or holding onto all the bits if you want to sell it later on.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

How expensive do you think it would be to replace that awful trim? Would I need a whole new wheel?

While it may not be your thing, that trim is ungodly expensive... any chance of replacing and selling?
https://parts.byersporsche.com/p/Porsche_2008_911/Console-Rear/48655415/99755398008S62.html

That Targa 4 stickered over $106k in 2008. Interesting. Someone spec'd that car out to be more expensive than a Targa S just with the wood trim. https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0BA29938S745179/

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 21, 2020

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

While it may not be your thing, that trim is ungodly expensive... any chance of replacing and selling?
https://parts.byersporsche.com/p/Porsche_2008_911/Console-Rear/48655415/99755398008S62.html

That Targa 4 stickered over $106k in 2008. Interesting. Someone spec'd that car out to be more expensive than a Targa S just with the wood trim. https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0BA29938S745179/

That's what I'm thinking, but I'm not sure how involved it would be or how much I'd be out for replacement parts, unless I could find something in a yard.

Russian Bear posted:

Do targa models command a premium?

Yeah, unfortunately $10k+ is not uncommon. They're fairly rare and the only 911 I _really_ want because of AWD + lifting glass hatch to better store stuff in the back seats + open air benefits of cabrio without looking like a turd.

Although I just realized the other day that the 997 frunk is the same size as the ND trunk, and I'm down a backseat because of kiddo.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I absolutely love wood trim, that thing is perfect. I know I am in the minority but i would take wood over carbon or aluminum any day.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

blk posted:

Let me know if you want me to check it out. I'm bored/close. :v:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

blk posted:

Yeah, unfortunately $10k+ is not uncommon. They're fairly rare and the only 911 I _really_ want because of AWD + lifting glass hatch to better store stuff in the back seats + open air benefits of cabrio without looking like a turd.

Good to know and agree that the cabrios look bad.

My attainable dream car is on BAT, wonder what this will end up going for:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-porsche-cayman-s-35/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's not time, it's not time, it's not time.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Russian Bear posted:

Those gauges look like they’re a nightmare to read.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wallaka posted:

Those gauges look like they’re a nightmare to read.

They're fine. It's the picture that sucks. When the car is on the numbers are backlit well.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Motronic posted:

They're fine. It's the picture that sucks. When the car is on the numbers are backlit well.

Makes sense.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Motronic posted:

It's not time, it's not time, it's not time.

Amen, I’m waiting this out too.

I have my sights on a 996 turbo, 964/993 or a nice 997.2 C2S, or whichever one is under 30k first.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much

Voltage posted:

Amen, I’m waiting this out too.

I have my sights on a 996 turbo, 964/993 or a nice 997.2 C2S, or whichever one is under 30k first.

Good news, if you're willing to be the
last owner.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Niacin posted:

last owner.

Man... that's a lot of miles... but a lot of car... for not a lot of money.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I need a way to tactfully ask my neighbors if they know anyone over the age of 50-60 with an aircooled 911 and medical comorbidities.

You know, to make sure they're doing ok.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Niacin posted:

last owner.

I wonder what maintenance has been performed on the transmission. High mileage PDKs give me the willies. That 9A1 engine is a nice lump, though, for sure.

Russian Bear posted:

The 2009s are not so much more money, are they? Definitely better to get a 2009+ instead.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Niacin posted:

last owner.

Initial thought: the gently caress would someone drill into a bumper instead of using the tow slot for plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

I wonder what maintenance has been performed on the transmission. High mileage PDKs give me the willies. That 9A1 engine is a nice lump, though, for sure.

The 2009s are not so much more money, are they? Definitely better to get a 2009+ instead.

There is a price bump, however the biggest problem with 2009s (and the couple years after that) is that there are so few of them. The great recession really did a number on sales.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/porsche-cayman-sales-figures/

It would be nice to not worry about IMS stuff, but at this point it was as reinforced as it was going to be before they moved away from that design.