Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've only seen through episode 4 and judging by this thread (I've avoided spoilers) I need to catch up post-haste!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
lily is going to prove the relational interpretation correct :colbert:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ghostwritingduck posted:

Lily is a very active character who makes bold choices compared to the average person.

"I just witnessed two murders. Gonna calmly walk past the still warm corpse of my now-dead-ex-boyfriend, go around a big pool of bright red blood on the floor, quietly sit on the sofa and have a nap".

I can understand if they were trying to portray Lily as being in shock, but if that was the case she should have shown at least some physiological signs like rapid breathing or dizziness or anxiousness or...something. Or she could have freaked out.

Note: this is my only actual nitpick of the episode; on the whole I'm really enjoying the series.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 12, 2020

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Binary Logic posted:

"I just witnessed two murders. Gonna calmly walk past the still warm corpse of my now-dead-ex-boyfriend, go around a big pool of bright red blood on the floor, quietly sit on the sofa and have a nap".

Let me help you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_position

"Sometimes, when a person has suffered extreme physical or psychological trauma (including massive stress), they will assume the fetal position or a similar position in which the back is curved forward, the legs are brought up as tightly against the abdomen as possible, the head is bowed as close to the abdomen as possible, and the arms are wrapped around the head to prevent further trauma. This position provides better protection to the brain and vital organs than simply lying spread out on the ground, so it is clear as to why it is an instinctual reaction to extreme stress or trauma when the brain is no longer able to cope with the surrounding environment, and in essence "shuts down" temporarily."

Binary Logic posted:

I can understand if they were trying to portray Lily as being in shock, but if that was the case she should have shown at least some physiological signs like rapid breathing or dizziness or anxiousness or...something. Or she could have freaked out.

Note: this is my only actual nitpick of the episode; on the whole I'm really enjoying the series.

You can't actually observe dizziness, rapid heart rate or hyperventilation in a person just by looking at them in most cases. Someone completely shutting down is a sign of having suffered enormous stress. This isn't so much for your enjoyment of the show as a life tip so you don't miss the signs of extreme stress in someone close to you.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tip but Lily didn't curl up in fetal position, her feet stayed on the floor, she absolutely did NOT do "the legs are brought up as tightly against the abdomen as possible", her arms are not wrapped around head; she just kind of plopped onto her side. This is how the scene ends:

Let me help you out: Dizziness and hyperventilation are both observable.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 12, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What a silly argument.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

What a silly argument.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Oh man. Too late by a week or so. At least there are good shows like this one out there to ease the pain .

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

Knowing what happens in the future makes you really boring and indifferent apparently

It is April 15th and I have concluded a brief derail on Watchmen's Dr. Manhattan.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

No tviv thread is safe from people who don't enjoy a show and instead of not watching it continue on and decide they must inform people how much they dislike said show. I will never understand that, just turn off the TV and walk away

OTC
Oct 20, 2012
At the end of the day: cause, and effect. I hope you understand what I'm saying. This is forgiveness, this is absolution. You made no decision to betray us. You could only have done what you did.

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016
The TV show, 'Devs', is terrific, one of the best.

The only thing I have disliked so far is Lily and the cucked ex going to visit nick offerman in the middle of the night. It just felt a bit too unrealistic for the characters to all act as they did, not call the cops, or whatever. I get it's because they've seen it happen on the future etch-a-sketch but it still annoyed me. Also thought Lily should rage out and hit someone when she got told her ex was murdered.

Other than, brilliant, I didn't think the semi-fetal position thing was a problem, I have selective TV autism.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Forest should play frisbee with everyone who is about to die.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

chinigz posted:

The only thing I have disliked so far is Lily and the cucked ex going to visit nick offerman in the middle of the night.

Heh, that was actually one of my favorite scenes in the series and I thought it all felt perfectly believable for the characters and their personalities.

Imo it felt right in line with how all of the characters just bounce around between wanting to fight, succumb, give up, get along...

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

chinigz posted:

The TV show, 'Devs', is terrific, one of the best.

The only thing I have disliked so far is Lily and the cucked ex going to visit nick offerman in the middle of the night. It just felt a bit too unrealistic for the characters to all act as they did, not call the cops, or whatever. I get it's because they've seen it happen on the future etch-a-sketch but it still annoyed me.

Lily already called the police and they committed her based on the testimony of Amaya’s psychiatrist. Calling the police a second time wouldn’t help. KGB Pete later confirms that the police can’t really navigate massive conspiracies.

Lily didn’t flip out about hearing that her boyfriend was murdered because she already knew. Instead we saw a combination of relief of not being gas lighted and cautious curiosity to WTF.

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

ghostwritingduck posted:

Lily already called the police and they committed her based on the testimony of Amaya’s psychiatrist. Calling the police a second time wouldn’t help. KGB Pete later confirms that the police can’t really navigate massive conspiracies.

I agree, more that she was knowingly going to the people she thought killed her boyfriend and just turned up and had a chat, rather than running or something. But I get it

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

I've only seen through episode 4 and judging by this thread (I've avoided spoilers) I need to catch up post-haste!

:lol: it's going to break your head.

Sorry.

gently caress Me. That 1 second into the future bit ...

:350:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

OTC posted:

Think of Apollo's curse on Cassandra. Knowing the future, can it be changed? So far, the answer is no. But how hard did Forest and Katie try? They certainly haven't attempted anything close to full disclosure. Even as Lily fulfills the prophecy given to her, the question remains open.
This, I think, is a key point to understanding the show and the characters' motivations. Katie and Forrest don't want to change the future. Forrest is so invested in the deterministic universe that changing the future is unthinkable. Katie I'm less sure about but so many of her choices come from wanting to support Forrest that she could just be pulled into his gravity well. She probably feels the same way that Forrest does ultimately, that putting your trust in determinism absolves you of the consequences of your actions, and she clearly comes across as a person who has endured some level of trauma in her past, nevermind the much more recent trauma of being an accessory to murder. Believing that you're just following the tracks the universe has laid out for you must give her some sense of comfort, even if she knows it's not the full truth because the Many Worlds theory is the more accurate way of looking at the universe.

Speaking of which I love the notion that the machine seems to be working 100% as intended using Many Worlds. The problem of variation doesn't seem to actually factor into what they're watching in any meaningful way. Katie is viewing her own past and there's nothing to indicate that it's straying from what actually occurred, which suggests to me that the system is accurately projecting events from their reality instead of a parallel one, and all that was required was for the system to acknowledge that the Many Worlds exist. But Forrest never truly cared about the accuracy of the projection, he cared about proving Determinism, which has apparently failed him. Worlds exist where his wife and daughter are alive, and he's just not living in one of them.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I hadn't realized that the actor who plays Lyndon is female, and the guy who plays stewart is 70 years old, that is more than I thought.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
The point of determinism is that the future literally cannot be changed. Knowing what's going to happen doesn't give you the option to do something different. In that scenario, the future plays out the way it's supposed to because you knew what was going to happen. It works like the coin flip example. If you know with absolute certainty the mass of the coin, the force of the flip, the air pressure and wind and temperature and so on, you can predict exactly how the coin will land. The same thing goes for all your decisions, except all of the variables are differences in brain chemistry.

I think the whole thing with Lyndon on the dam is supposed to illustrate that. Katie knew what was going to happen, and acting on that knowledge is what caused him to fall. But that was already pre-ordained, for lack of a better word, when she originally watched it happen in the first place. Knowing the future seems to give you an option to do something different, but your knowledge of the future was already a factor in the outcome before you even knew it. The future is still a straight line you can't deviate from.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oasx posted:

I hadn't realized that the actor who plays Lyndon is female, and the guy who plays stewart is 70 years old, that is more than I thought.

I didn’t realize that about Lyndon, wild. Also Stewart actor guy is going to be in the new Dune flick, possibly Thufir Hawat, which owns.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I just assumed Lyndon was trans the whole time.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

PopetasticPerson posted:

The point of determinism is that the future literally cannot be changed. Knowing what's going to happen doesn't give you the option to do something different. In that scenario, the future plays out the way it's supposed to because you knew what was going to happen. It works like the coin flip example. If you know with absolute certainty the mass of the coin, the force of the flip, the air pressure and wind and temperature and so on, you can predict exactly how the coin will land. The same thing goes for all your decisions, except all of the variables are differences in brain chemistry.

I think the whole thing with Lyndon on the dam is supposed to illustrate that. Katie knew what was going to happen, and acting on that knowledge is what caused him to fall. But that was already pre-ordained, for lack of a better word, when she originally watched it happen in the first place. Knowing the future seems to give you an option to do something different, but your knowledge of the future was already a factor in the outcome before you even knew it. The future is still a straight line you can't deviate from.
So is Katie lying when she says she believes that Many Worlds is the correct interpretation? Either way the Devs system seems to prove that Many Worlds is the truth of their reality anyway, so what Katie says to Lyndon is at least partially true; his consciousness continues to persist in the universes where he survives the experiment, or in the universes where he chooses not to climb over the rail at all, but those all deviate from the universe that the Devs system is simulating, because it is somehow *both* deterministic and multiversal. So as far as this iteration of Katie is concerned, Lyndon had no other outcome but death.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My brother didn't realize that Lyndon was trans either and I sort of laughed at him for it, but I guess he's not alone. Tbh I think it screwed his perception of the character up because he didn't like that one of the DEVS team was what he perceived to be a 13 year old boy, which he found to be unbelievable. I was like "Uh, the actress is like 24" and he was like "wait, what?"

FTR this is Lyndon irl

I like how much this show plays with androgyny.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
From what I read Lyndon is not trans, but it's a male character that just happens to be played by a female actor.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Lyndon isn't trans, I don't think. It's just an actress playing the role of a boy. Here's an interview with the actress about it:

https://collider.com/devs-interview-cailee-spaeny-lyndon-gender/

EDIT: Here's an excerpt from an interview with Alex Garland where he confirms Lyndon is cisgendered and weirdly almost gets a little offended at the idea of it being otherwise:

quote:

When I mention that, in Devs, actress Cailee Spaeny plays Lyndon, a male engineering prodigy who, in the latest episode, is fired when he tests out Hugh Everett's many-worlds theory on their algorithm, which makes it more functional but also adds another variable -- the multiverse -- that enrages Forest, Garland interrupts me to explain. "It's not a trans character, and it never was, and I never toyed with the idea of it being a trans character," he says, noting that he simply decided to cast a young woman to play a cisgendered boy. "In some respects, it's as simple as that. Now, of course I'm aware that there are broader debates about this kind of thing, but the existence of a debate doesn't mean I have to participate in the debate." (Trans performer Janet Mock does appear in a recurring role.)

EDIT2: Actually, upon re-reading it, I think it's just a poorly structured paragraph. On first read, it sounds like Garland completely changes the subject just to interject that Lyndon is NOT trans. Upon second reading, it becomes clear that the writer WAS bringing up the subject of the female actor playing the male character, then veered off onto two lines of backstory before snapping back to the subject at hand.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 14, 2020

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Strange Matter posted:

So is Katie lying when she says she believes that Many Worlds is the correct interpretation? Either way the Devs system seems to prove that Many Worlds is the truth of their reality anyway, so what Katie says to Lyndon is at least partially true; his consciousness continues to persist in the universes where he survives the experiment, or in the universes where he chooses not to climb over the rail at all, but those all deviate from the universe that the Devs system is simulating, because it is somehow *both* deterministic and multiversal. So as far as this iteration of Katie is concerned, Lyndon had no other outcome but death.

Many worlds is strictly deterministic because it isn't random, and it doesn't literally mean "everything can happen". It's possible there are zero universes in which a Lyndon survives.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah, ok. Either way the show doesn't address it, so i just assumed.

As a male character she does have the appearance of being really young. Although they say in the show that Lyndon is 19.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Ham posted:

Many worlds is strictly deterministic because it isn't random, and it doesn't literally mean "everything can happen". It's possible there are zero universes in which a Lyndon survives.
Ah, good point. Which frankly is what is visualized in that scene where we see the different iterations of Lyndon falling but none where he survives. Quantum Immortality doesn't shield you from the consequences of standing on your tiptoes on the edge of a cliff.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think the show has kind of dodged the issue of "could you change the thing you do in 10 seconds if you knew it was gonna happen?" It's gotten so bold about that that I'm starting to wonder if the machine is actually forcing stuff to happen rather than simply predicting it.

Like, when everyone views their projection 1 second in the future, they seem kind of hypnotized by the machine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

EDIT: Here's an excerpt from an interview with Alex Garland where he confirms Lyndon is cisgendered and weirdly almost gets a little offended at the idea of it being otherwise:

probably because everything about this looks like they cast a cis lady to play a trans man, then when they realized 'oh poo poo people are going to be mad at us for trans erasure' had to hastily clarify that the character was never trans. and, as that piece notes, it's not exactly Garland's first time being extremely careless about casting diversity

why you wouldn't just change the gender -- which is never referred to in the show -- of the character to solve this problem is a bit of a mystery to me, since their explanation seems rather forced

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 14, 2020

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

eke out posted:

probably because everything about this looks like they cast a cis lady to play a trans man, then when they realized 'oh poo poo people are going to be mad at us for trans erasure' had to hastily clarify that the character was never trans

why you wouldn't just change the gender -- which is never referred to in the show -- of the character to solve this problem is a bit of a mystery to me, since their explanation seems rather forced

I think Lyndon being a young woman may have complicated her relationship with Stewart for audiences. This way Stewart comes across as a caring mentor and not a possible creep.

I think it’s very cool that the director cast a young woman as Lyndon. As a viewer, I briefly wondered about Lydon’s gender and then moved on to enjoy the character.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Martman posted:

I think the show has kind of dodged the issue of "could you change the thing you do in 10 seconds if you knew it was gonna happen?" It's gotten so bold about that that I'm starting to wonder if the machine is actually forcing stuff to happen rather than simply predicting it.

Like, when everyone views their projection 1 second in the future, they seem kind of hypnotized by the machine.

Stewart suggested the possibility that they were in a simulation during the 1 second projection moment. I’m wondering if that’s the answer, or just one characters considering the possibility.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I just thought Lyndon was a prepubescent (perhaps late bloomer 13/14year old) child prodigy type and as portrayed it fit with that completely imo.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
or it might just be like how voice actors for young boys are usually women, since a woman can look and sound more like a prepubescent boy but still be able to act, as I imagine a good child actor for a role like this would be hard to find.

Lilly is chaos (Lucifer) bringing free will to the deterministic (God, Order, the machine) creation and allowing Adam & Eve to escape their slavery to their ordained destinies. Stewart was an Angel at the gates of the garden.

ghostwritingduck posted:

Stewart suggested the possibility that they were in a simulation during the 1 second projection moment. I’m wondering if that’s the answer, or just one characters considering the possibility.

yeah that one is cool idea a well. they built the box containing the universe by their predictions that created the box that created the universe based on the contain box's predictions, so inadvertently making a deterministic universe. that was a great and unsettling scene.

CodeJanitor fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 15, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CodeJanitor posted:

or it might just be like how voice actors for young boys are usually women, since a woman can look and sound more like a prepubescent boy but still be able to act, as I imagine a good child actor for a role like this would be hard to find.

Yeah, this exactly! Also it would suck if they got a boy to play Lyndon and then his voice changes halfway through production :haw:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

priznat posted:

Yeah, this exactly! Also it would suck if they got a boy to play Lyndon and then his voice changes halfway through production :haw:

Most of us agree it’s a great show why shouldn’t it go on to be syndicated like The Simpsons?

25 more seasons!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ghostwritingduck posted:

Now I'm lollin at the possibility that this show could end in a plot twist along the lines of Serenity (the Matthew Mcconaughey one)

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Martman posted:

I'm thinking that maybe the clip about the slit experiment is foreshadowing that. The existence of the machine is causing the universe to behave deterministically, like the sensor places on the slits. The easiest (and I'd argue most boring) way to explain the cut-off point in their future predictions is that the system is destroyed, and thus in doing so changes the specifics of causality so that it's present way of calculations projections are no longer valid beyond that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Most of us agree it’s a great show why shouldn’t it go on to be syndicated like The Simpsons?

25 more seasons!

And a movie!