Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Look, sometimes it's been six years since your big announcement trailer, and you see Les Mis and get inspired!

(https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-final-fantasy-xv-was-almost-a-musical)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

This, except I'm on board for the trainwreck.

Unlike after getting Kingdom Hearts 2's secret ending with Mickey or w/e 15 years ago and I realised I wasn't that interested in any story element...and just kinda passively watch all these different KH games come out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Look, sometimes it's been six years since your big announcement trailer, and you see Les Mis and get inspired!

(https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-final-fantasy-xv-was-almost-a-musical)

I wish that interview was linked in the article because the only source I could find for it doesn't mention musicals at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If Nomura wants to make FF7R a crossover with Rhapsody, I am here for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
barret undoubtedly has a beautiful singing voice.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wish that interview was linked in the article because the only source I could find for it doesn't mention musicals at all.

Even a legit second source about the Les Mis influence would be nice, but I doubt that's happening.

Still hilarious and mind-blowing to me...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Nessus posted:

Zack will summon Stamp to take out the Meteor. Book it

FUUUUUUCK. Chadley needs to develop a Stamp summon, right now. And it changes form depending on the universe you're in when you use it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Do a crossover game where FF characters team up with characters from classic musicals.

Basically its time for Cloud to meet Sally Bowles.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Also, why couldn't I watch the entirity of LOVELESS in this game, huh?

You had your musical chance Nomura, and you blew it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Clarste posted:

As for Cloud not going to reactor 5, in the original game Jessie's leg was still injured from reactor 1 (where a piece of rubble landed on her) and in this one she was fine for some reason even though the same thing happened. And then the ghosts showed up to make sure she sprained her ankle as she was supposed to.

I think this is why Nomura is a hack and won't stick the landing. He's using the butterfly effect to excuse small changes like this, rather than keep track of the changes made by previous choices. It's a sign of bad writing.

I'm also disappointed that he didn't think to excuse it away with the abundance of cure materia hanging around. A narrative aware of its own powers would've served as a much more interesting base for time fuckery than just time janitors.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought Loveless was a bad play quoted only by tedious farthuffers

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Isn't Loveless an opera?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I definitely think at some point the party will conclude that beating the whispers was a bad move, that's a pretty easy conclusion to reach based on Sephiroth encouraging them to do it and in fact enabling them to even get into that crazy whisper-realm. Possibly Sephiroth was able to pick up vibes about how he wound up losing in the original FF7 timeline, and this was his gambit to erase the Arbiters who were enforcing that to happen and give himself a fresh shot. I also like that the characters only got little glimpses of the future, which to me means that we'll still get to see them take an almost identical journey to the original (same order of events and locations), but there will be a few new places mixed in and what happens there may change up while keeping the iconic stuff from the original. In other words, I think this "unknown journey" will actually follow a very similar template to this game, which works for me since I felt that was a good balance there.

I like the party so much that I really don't want any of them to die along the way. I can get by with a heroic sacrifice from Aerith at the end in the northern crater, that'll be sad but I would have really enjoyed having her along for the entire journey.

Any way you slice it there's going to be some kingdom hearths bullshit involved in the future games, but I like most of the kingdom hearts bullshit so that suits me just fine. In fact, my main complain about KH 3 was that I didn't get more KH bullshit involving the final fantasy characters. The table is now set for a really wild ride with some fun twists to it and plenty of fanservice, so I wound up really liking the story choices throughout.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
In the original, Loveless was just an homage to the My Bloody Valentine album

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

NowonSA posted:

I definitely think at some point the party will conclude that beating the whispers was a bad move, that's a pretty easy conclusion to reach based on Sephiroth encouraging them to do it and in fact enabling them to even get into that crazy whisper-realm. Possibly Sephiroth was able to pick up vibes about how he wound up losing in the original FF7 timeline, and this was his gambit to erase the Arbiters who were enforcing that to happen and give himself a fresh shot. I also like that the characters only got little glimpses of the future, which to me means that we'll still get to see them take an almost identical journey to the original (same order of events and locations), but there will be a few new places mixed in and what happens there may change up while keeping the iconic stuff from the original. In other words, I think this "unknown journey" will actually follow a very similar template to this game, which works for me since I felt that was a good balance there.

I like the party so much that I really don't want any of them to die along the way. I can get by with a heroic sacrifice from Aerith at the end in the northern crater, that'll be sad but I would have really enjoyed having her along for the entire journey.

Any way you slice it there's going to be some kingdom hearths bullshit involved in the future games, but I like most of the kingdom hearts bullshit so that suits me just fine. In fact, my main complain about KH 3 was that I didn't get more KH bullshit involving the final fantasy characters. The table is now set for a really wild ride with some fun twists to it and plenty of fanservice, so I wound up really liking the story choices throughout.

On this, I fully get why Seph wanted to kill the Whispers. He loses otherwise. I don't get Aerith et al's motivation, apart from "these drat ghosts aren't letting me do what I want".

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

ymgve posted:

In the original, Loveless was just an homage to the My Bloody Valentine album

It better have drat-well been.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

On this, I fully get why Seph wanted to kill the Whispers. He loses otherwise. I don't get Aerith et al's motivation, apart from "these drat ghosts aren't letting me do what I want".

I mean Aerith's motivation of "I'd really rather not die" is reasonably justified. She spends a lot of this game talking about how she dislikes the inevitability of a dark fate and whatnot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CottonWolf posted:

Maybe she'd like to at least explore the possibilities to do it without dying.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fair. It's a big gamble going from 0% chance of the world ending to ?% chance of the world ending, but I also get not wanting to die.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Keep in mind that only Aerith really cared about changing fate, everyone else just went along with it after she gave a little speech. They don't have any idea what they're doing.

Also I still blame Genesis for turning Loveless into some awful, overwrought, Shakespearean wannabe thing.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Be nice to know the extent to which Aerith's memory is being manipulated by the Time Ghosts...or what the Time Ghosts really are...but she doesn't remember...

:smith:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The time ghosts are gonna end up being ancients/cetrans who are trying to keep the timeline consistent because it’s the only/most efficient way to take down JENOVA.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Calaveron posted:

The time ghosts are gonna end up being ancients/cetrans who are trying to keep the timeline consistent because it’s the only/most efficient way to take down JENOVA.

Yeah I've just interpreted them as an expression of the planet/lifestream/Cetra/Holy/etc., and that Sephiroth basically became Doctor Manhattan after falling into the lifestream. So when he tries to mess with unfolding events the ghosts show up to try to get him to knock it off. The ending was the party (well, Aerith) basically saying "we're still going to stop Sephiroth, but we'll do it our way, not the way it's 'supposed' to be."

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I thought Loveless was a bad play quoted only by tedious farthuffers

You can say Genesis. It's okay.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I have a source mentioning musicals but not "Oh he suddenly stormed in one day and wanted to make XV a musical"

https://www.khinsider.com/news/Nomura-Shimomura-Joint-Interview-for-KH-Orchestra-8752

quote:

Are there any other KINGDOM HEARTS concerts you'd like to see come true?
TN: Rock.
YS: Rock!? With a band? Were'nt you saying before that you wanted a musical?
TN: A while ago. When I watched the movie Les Miserables, I thought, "We should do a musical!" But I wanted to incorporate it into a game, not an on-stage production.
YS: There was a musical number in KINGDOM HEARTS II. That was rough.
TN: In Atlantica. But that was a music game. I wanted a musical cutscene.
YS: Thank goodness that never happened... (laughs)
TN: Well, I was watching a show the other day, and it had a musical number. It made me want to create a musical, a production where everyone bursts into song.
YS: No...

So like all things Nomura, someone took this as "HE WANTED TO TURN FFXV INTO A MUSICAL BECAUSE HE'S JUST SO ZANY."

Basically, he just wanted to do FF6's Opera scene. Hell, the Honeybee Inn scene in 7RE is kinda a musical scene. It's more Cabaret though.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 14, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Clarste posted:

I felt like the changes to the whole bloodtrail sequence leading up to a dead Shinra were significantly worse than the original though.

Yeah this is straight up the one thing I think is clearly worse and a bad decision.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I don't think it would've worked anyhow: in FF7 (PSX) there's a genuine build-up to the Jenova specimen breaking out and Sephiroth's sword being revealed.
The character being a war-hero turned disillusioned psychopathic magical being just isn't in the cards for this remake. He's genuinely a floating ghost-thing from the start.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Fair. It's a big gamble going from 0% chance of the world ending to ?% chance of the world ending, but I also get not wanting to die.

I mean they saw Red running around like in the end of the original so I'm expecting they did get to see that humanity was wiped out eventually.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah this is straight up the one thing I think is clearly worse and a bad decision.

I'm wondering if this was a decision made by higherups to try and dodge a harder rating. The game's fairly bloodless in general (the grey clouds around Barret's stab wound come to mind too), and the replacement's involved enough that the decision was probably made earlier in production than a reaction to a more mature rating.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Final Fantasy games have been pretty bloodless and non-violent since FFX, to be fair.

e: I really think it's just 6, 7 and 8 that had this slight edge to their stories that kinda flared out over the years.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 15, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean the purple glowing blood is one thing, but everything else about the sequence is also worse imo. Like, Shinra still being alive and left hanging off a ledge for some reason. And simply not walking through previously normal floors that were now filled with creepy monsters. Like, if the blood trail had gone through the lobby or whatever that would've changed the tone significantly. It just wasn't remotely creepy in the new one, like they weren't even trying.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's not really creepy in the original imo because loving look at how people look in that game, fat LEGO man being stabbed with a pixel-thin sword is not exactly Silent Hill here.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It was mostly the build-up imo. You break out of prison and the building is suddenly empty and there's a freaky trail of blood on the floor and you no idea what happened. All of that build-up is gone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

I mean the purple glowing blood is one thing, but everything else about the sequence is also worse imo. Like, Shinra still being alive and left hanging off a ledge for some reason. And simply not walking through previously normal floors that were now filled with creepy monsters. Like, if the blood trail had gone through the lobby or whatever that would've changed the tone significantly. It just wasn't remotely creepy in the new one, like they weren't even trying.

I agree with this. I do understand needing more from Shinra since he was an actual presence and not like four lines at the start of the game but they really should have made the Shinra earlier floors a monster-filled area leading up to it.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Funky Valentine posted:

fat LEGO man being stabbed with a pixel-thin sword is not exactly Silent Hill here.

:cawg:

Haha, yeah alright; but if you're interpreting and immersing yourself in the story, that sequence is at least a little bit mysterious.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hojo's lab being a dungeon was a mistake imo. Personally, I think it single-handedly removed all the mystique from Jenova and Hojo's experiments. You should've fought all those monsters in the lobbies and in the VR museum and the library while you were following the blood trial. Could've been a cool set-piece.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I think things are going to go sideways during the Nibelheim flashback at the start of the next game and it plays out in some unexpected way. It’d be really funny if Tifa just went “wait that not what happened” in the middle of it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't think rendering blood hallway and butchered fat man in this engine would have been a good idea.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rabid Snake posted:

Zack living is in a different universe right? The dog logo is different in the Zack lives universe. It wasn't just a flashback right?

Zack now lives in the maintime line, instead of wandering into town by himself Cloud was carried in by Zack who left him on a bench and told the buster sword to watch him for a second while he dipped into a restroom for a leak. When he cameback out they were both gone and he has been everywhere in town Cloud hasn't been looking for him.

Cloud is aware of this on some level and that's why he visualizes his apartment looks like a gas station bathroom and imagines those benches everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Caidin posted:

Zack now lives in the maintime line, instead of wandering into town by himself Cloud was carried in by Zack who left him on a bench and told the buster sword to watch him for a second while he dipped into a restroom for a leak. When he cameback out they were both gone and he has been everywhere in town Cloud hasn't been looking for him.

Cloud is aware of this on some level and that's why he visualizes his apartment looks like a gas station bathroom and imagines those benches everywhere.

Don't say stupid poo poo that people have been believing across the internet because their brains are broken.