Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have two clips and hate them if you wanna buy mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bought the leash and wrist strap. I unashamedly love PD stuff.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

powderific posted:

I have two clips and hate them if you wanna buy mine.

Why don't you like them, and how much for one?

I really like their wrist strip/leash thing but I got it bundled with a camera. Idk if I'd pay their prices

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What's currently in style in tripods? The tripod thread in the OP is very out of date. Hoping to spend <$100, but I can go higher if need be.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Deviant posted:

What's currently in style in tripods? The tripod thread in the OP is very out of date. Hoping to spend <$100, but I can go higher if need be.

Depends on your needs really, what will you be doing with the tripod? How important is light weight etc..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In the under $100 bracket, features won't be an option. The choices are going to be garbage pieces of poo poo or stuff as heavy as a tank.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Under $100 I would definitely start looking used.

I had a cheap travel tripod that I bought because I didn't want to worry about losing it (and did lose it, so I can't even find out what kind it was) and it was really flimsy with an SLR, even though it was designed for the weight. I think it was over $100 though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My AmazonBasics tripod was like $80 and I remember it being mostly perfectly fine for anything I'd do with it. It didn't seem unreasonably heavy but I also had no real frame of reference by virtue of never holding CF tripods before. I think the only thing I found somewhat limiting was that the legs only extended to three predefined angles, and there was no "low" mode I could engage. But I mean, price to performance seemed really good otherwise.

Even came with a pretty usable ballhead.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

Depends on your needs really, what will you be doing with the tripod? How important is light weight etc..

Still, indoor cosplay photography. Weight isn't a huge factor.

As mentioned, I'm willing to go higher. Is $150-200 more reasonable?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I dropped about a hundred bucks on a Neewer carbon fiber tripod a few years ago that’s still doing well. The ball head that came with it isn’t the best (still usable though) but the legs are pretty decent.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Update: Found a used Manfrotto 055XDB with head and some other non-camera stuff I need on facebook for $100, gonna pick that up.

Update update: This'll do the job.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 1, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Deviant posted:

Update: Found a used Manfrotto 055XDB with head and some other non-camera stuff I need on facebook for $100, gonna pick that up.

Update update: This'll do the job.

That's a good set of legs. Not light, but sturdy. What head came with it?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Why don't you like them, and how much for one?

I really like their wrist strip/leash thing but I got it bundled with a camera. Idk if I'd pay their prices

In lots of trying I haven’t found a way to actually use them that feels natural or better than a strap. They’re too floppy and unbalanced on anything I’d want to connect them to, which isn’t a function of the clip itself so much as the nature of fabric straps.

Looks like the ones I have are a previous version so I’ll have to figure out if there’s some kind of design flaw in them or major upgrade.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

torgeaux posted:

That's a good set of legs. Not light, but sturdy. What head came with it?

Some junky no name. It'll need replacing, but it works for now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I didn't like the Peak Design straps, a few things about them didn't sit well and I felt like they were designed for a bigger camera than my X100. The wrist strap has this huge connector that was always in the way. The slide lite had even bigger connectors and the double adjustment meant there were big loops every time I picked up the camera. I also thought the round Peak connectors looked goofy when I didn't have the strap on.

I have straps by DSPTCH and Simplr.us and I really like them both. Unfortunately they're not interchangeable anymore.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

im getting back into the hobby and i'm shooting on an ancient d40. since literally everything is an upgrade from it i'm a little overwhelmed. I have zero interest in video I literally just want the d40 but with the ability to shoot at night time. is 3xxx going to be fine for this or is it worth a bit extra for a 5xxx or 7xxxx ?

like i'm trying to shoot nighttime cityscapes and urban stuff and the reason I put down the d40 in the first place is how much i have to push the iso. getting a tripod helped but I kind of want something more dark street photography ready.

edit: on keh the 3500 and 5300 are $40 apart, for example.

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 2, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So, on my D5600, if i hit the side button to enable the 10s timer mode, it reverts and changes back to single shot with no timer after one shot.

Is there any way to put the camera into timer mode and have it stick?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

In lots of trying I haven’t found a way to actually use them that feels natural or better than a strap. They’re too floppy and unbalanced on anything I’d want to connect them to, which isn’t a function of the clip itself so much as the nature of fabric straps.

Looks like the ones I have are a previous version so I’ll have to figure out if there’s some kind of design flaw in them or major upgrade.

I use mine on my PD messenger. I attach the lens holder to it and use that as an extra pair of hands/short-term storage when I'm switching lenses around. Despite the promo images of honking great DSLRs hanging off them, I don't think I'd ever use mine to fit a camera onto.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Casual Encountess posted:

im getting back into the hobby and i'm shooting on an ancient d40. since literally everything is an upgrade from it i'm a little overwhelmed. I have zero interest in video I literally just want the d40 but with the ability to shoot at night time. is 3xxx going to be fine for this or is it worth a bit extra for a 5xxx or 7xxxx ?

like i'm trying to shoot nighttime cityscapes and urban stuff and the reason I put down the d40 in the first place is how much i have to push the iso. getting a tripod helped but I kind of want something more dark street photography ready.

edit: on keh the 3500 and 5300 are $40 apart, for example.

What lens are you using?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

powderific posted:

I think a lot of it has to do with just going all-in on the PD gear ecosystem. I've got my clip on the shoulder strap of my PD backpack, and it does a great job of keeping my hands free without having the camera bouncing around on my hip. I can totally see trying to mount it on almost anything else being a pain.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
PD Capture Clip is awesome for mounting something to backpack straps and belt. Not sure abour really big cameras but 80D (getting a bit awkward with bigger lenses tho) or X-T3 with 55-200 was okay to carry around for days even if I had to literally run around.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

jarlywarly posted:

What lens are you using?

d40 kit lens and 50 prime. they’re not good lenses but they get the job done!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

d40 kit lens and 50 prime. they’re not good lenses but they get the job done!

is the 50 f/1.8?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The PD leash is so much better for mirrorless than the chonky neck strap. Just threw the leash on my a7iii, the thin wrist strap on my beater xpro1 and the chonk-o-matic neck strap is getting relegated to my D610 and other big rear end film SLRs.

I love the wrist strap so much that I took advantage of the sale to buy a second one to throw in my bag just in case I want to wrist the a7iii

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

powderific posted:

Hmm, I have a little mirrorless and little lens so I think it may still work for me. What version do you have? I'm still interested in buying one from you, depending on price. I'd need the strap clip + camera attachment

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the v2 standard and pro, see here for differences: https://support.peakdesign.com/hc/e...cxoCmn4QAvD_BwE

I dunno, $40?

Definitely understand that they work for a lot of people — some folks I work with IRL love them too and that's why I decided to try them. Had the cuff and slide too. Ultimately I prefer a combination of blackrapid strap and think tank bags/belt pouches.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
One word of caution about the PD anchors: When used with a split ring (like on a Fuji where the eyelets are too small), the anchor can work its way off of the split ring and cause the camera to fall. After narrowly avoiding broken camera parts a couple of times I looked for a solution and ended up doing some heat shrink wrap over the cord of the anchor and split ring. I'll have to redo this if I need to remove the anchor but I just leave it attached.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

jarlywarly posted:

is the 50 f/1.8?

PLOT twist. I remembered wrong and its a tamron f/2.5 on an adaptall. i'm going to attack that one first because I'm probably going to wait on a body, I'm going to pick up the nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens, because while it doesn't do AF on my body specifically it's gonna fit on everything else.

I kept reading and I mean a used D700 and a used D7500 are the same price so I think that's what i'm going to spend a month or two thinking about as I work on my photography

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 3, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the new printing thread, but there's a free webinar from one of the Moab paper reps at 2pm eastern. I went to one of his in-person workshops and it was really helpful in giving an overview for all the color management and paper profile stuff.

https://twitter.com/MoabPaper/status/1245353993833984002

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PLOT twist. I remembered wrong and its a tamron f/2.5 on an adaptall. i'm going to attack that one first because I'm probably going to wait on a body, I'm going to pick up the nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens, because while it doesn't do AF on my body specifically it's gonna fit on everything else.

I kept reading and I mean a used D700 and a used D7500 are the same price so I think that's what i'm going to spend a month or two thinking about as I work on my photography

The 50mm 1.8g is still pretty cheap used if you want something with AF-S. Also, if you do think you're gonna stay DX, you might want to look at the 35mm 1.8DX too as it's a great lens and would get you a handy focal length.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

powderific posted:

The 50mm 1.8g is still pretty cheap used if you want something with AF-S. Also, if you do think you're gonna stay DX, you might want to look at the 35mm 1.8DX too as it's a great lens and would get you a handy focal length.

yeah i pulled the trigger on that. gonna shoot for a month or two and figure out if Full Frame Is For Me!

also lol that my iso tops out at 1600

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

powderific posted:

I have the v2 standard and pro, see here for differences: https://support.peakdesign.com/hc/e...cxoCmn4QAvD_BwE

I dunno, $40?

Definitely understand that they work for a lot of people — some folks I work with IRL love them too and that's why I decided to try them. Had the cuff and slide too. Ultimately I prefer a combination of blackrapid strap and think tank bags/belt pouches.

Hm, thanks for info but I think I'll pass.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can someone recommend a low profile ballhead to put on a gorillapod 3K which will take a Peak Design capture plate (which itself I believe is arca standard)? I was just given a spare 3K but it has the crap latched plate that is itself damaged.

Will hold an A7iii + 24-105 f4 max.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Their 5k ballhead is arca compatible:

https://www.amazon.com/Joby-JB01514-JOBY-BallHead-5K/dp/B074WFRTXV/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&

I assume the thread size on the 5k is the same as the 3k. The head does adapt to two thread sizes so I assume it's fine but do your homework!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome thanks, I'll do some quick research but I'm fine to go first-party.

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

Easychair Bootson posted:

One word of caution about the PD anchors: When used with a split ring (like on a Fuji where the eyelets are too small), the anchor can work its way off of the split ring and cause the camera to fall. After narrowly avoiding broken camera parts a couple of times I looked for a solution and ended up doing some heat shrink wrap over the cord of the anchor and split ring. I'll have to redo this if I need to remove the anchor but I just leave it attached.

Just FYI, you can get the anchors into a Fuji by threading them via the dental floss method. Thread some dental floss through the eyelet, loop it through the anchor and then back through the eyelet. You can then pull the anchor's loop through relatively easily. No split ring required.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

The Lone Lemon posted:

Just FYI, you can get the anchors into a Fuji by threading them via the dental floss method. Thread some dental floss through the eyelet, loop it through the anchor and then back through the eyelet. You can then pull the anchor's loop through relatively easily. No split ring required.

This won't be possible with the v4 anchors, which are just way too fat.
PD also provides their own oval-shaped split rings that, in my experience at least, don't work loose.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I just bought some triangular split rings from China. Cost about 5 bucks for like 20 sets with free shipping.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

qirex posted:

I didn't like the Peak Design straps, a few things about them didn't sit well and I felt like they were designed for a bigger camera than my X100. The wrist strap has this huge connector that was always in the way. The slide lite had even bigger connectors and the double adjustment meant there were big loops every time I picked up the camera. I also thought the round Peak connectors looked goofy when I didn't have the strap on.

I have straps by DSPTCH and Simplr.us and I really like them both. Unfortunately they're not interchangeable anymore.

I just got a PD leash for my XT-10 and have to say that I agree. There’s way too much hardware hanging off my camera now just to use this strap. Split ring, to cord dot things, to metal cord interface, to two different strap sections. Wish I’d gone with the dsptch!

Also I got a 3l everyday sling and I wish I’d gone for the 6l I think.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Love gordy’s for wrist straps—I’ve had one on my GR for ages and picked up a second for the Z6. Looks nice and has just the right balance of staying on your hand when you want it to while still slipping off easy.