Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

What were the good seasons where someone ran it all the way through?

Redemption Island was the last one i can think of, and it was boring as poo poo because they cast 3 capable people and a dozen different flavours of jello.

A major flaw of Survivor, as a show, is that it isn't willing to tell a cohesive story. The structure of the show is about the suspense of who gets voted out at the end of an episode, so they edit it together to NOT make it clear what is happening. It stitches together a bunch of false narratives to obscure what will happen, but doesn't explain the truth afterwards. That's why you end up with winners like Tommy from 39 who had an incredible social game* that we never see on tv.

All the advantages in the game facilitate this story telling because even if they show how votes are going to fall, you still have the tension of "will they play the advantage?", or even in the case of the 50/50 idol, "will the advantage even work?"

*according to his post show interview on RHAP, which is heavily biased and not canon

Wendell and Dom pretty much ran Ghost Island the whole way through right? That was a decent season I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

IcePhoenix posted:

Wendell and Dom pretty much ran Ghost Island the whole way through right? That was a decent season I think.

I’d agree with that. Of the last half dozen or so seasons I felt like most had tolerable winners, even if it wasn’t always my preferred type of season. I still can find something to enjoy most seasons if they don’t have a big flashy dominant winner or a fun character at the heart of it. I will admit to having higher hopes for this season than a typical one though.

Last ones I really enjoyed from start to finish were probably Tony and Cochran. Was very happy to see Tyson get his win as well.

Lone Goat’s post reminds me of something Stephen was frustrated with on this week’s Know-It-Alls. The amount of time taken up this week by Edge of Extinction and the whole Fire Tokens gimmick really cut into time that could have been used to give a clearer picture of what unfolded strategically.

I also agreed with Stephen’s frustration that the amount of randomness and gimmicks is getting a bit out of hand. The coin flip idol is dumb as hell. I don’t know if we’re there yet or not, but eventually all the random bullshit gimmicks start to detract from players being able to craft coherent strategies.

I dunno. There’s still time for this season to get on to what I’d consider a better track. For example I’d love to see whether the years of hype around Kim are justified. If she manages to take over the game that could be fun. Tony could make this a fun ride. A steady diet of Tyson confessionals would be another good possibility. I’m way past ready to see Ben, Sophie, Michele and Nick shown the door though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BGrifter posted:

Lone Goat’s post reminds me of something Stephen was frustrated with on this week’s Know-It-Alls. The amount of time taken up this week by Edge of Extinction and the whole Fire Tokens gimmick really cut into time that could have been used to give a clearer picture of what unfolded strategically.

This is honestly my biggest gripe with stuff like EoE, Ghost Island, etc.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I like this season because it answers the the hypothetical of "What happens if people know the existence aand game plan of the several 'social threat' archetypes ahead of time?" Rob, Chill Town, etc. can be hilarious to watch steamroll a game that you'd think the other players could react to, but a season like this seems to show that foreknowledge is needed.

The downside with that for me is the answer is the somewhat stilted game we have now.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I will accept the weird editing that leaves us in the dark about who the pivotal players are and how and why they're making decisions if the producers, who clearly are taking inspiration from the Genius, give us an Extreme Ways montage when it's revealed at final five that Jeremy and Kim or whoever have been masterminding the entire game together all along.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I will accept the weird editing that leaves us in the dark about who the pivotal players are and how and why they're making decisions if the producers, who clearly are taking inspiration from the Genius, give us an Extreme Ways montage when it's revealed at final five that Jeremy and Kim or whoever have been masterminding the entire game together all along.

Agreed.

I would also like fire tokens to have even a tenth the impact on Survivor as garnets did on The Genius. Otherwise they're just a waste of time. And I wouldn't fault them for trying it just to have fire tokens not really matter, but then you chop it down in the edit bay.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

If it’s any season that needed longer episodes, it was this one. We have returnees that haven’t played for years and have existing relationships, a twenty person cast, advantages flying about everywhere, and edge (which also means there has to be an extra two vote offs).

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

They had one in the form of two tribes losing immunity. Then because it's the worst solution possible they'll just go with a final 5, and why not since the jury will just vote for their Edge buddy anyway?

Real talk a post-jury Edgelord getting to return is the overriding reason this season doesn't feel like the Winners at War struggle their Bond theme song wants it to be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On the other hand if we had no Edge of Extinction then all those old school players people are upset are gone would be gone quicker and the more low key players would have been more of the show. I definitely have the same concerns everyone else has about a repeat of the last time but until that happens I think the EoE has had positives and negatives that more or less balance out.

I'm actually a little surprised by some of the criticisms that there's not enough strategy being shown. I mean, I know some people always want to see more but I think the last few weeks' votes have been very easy to understand and I think the fact that there's no clearly defined alliances feels like a proper reflection of the state of the game. I was for example surprised that like people didn't immediately assume Michelle and Nick were the ones left out of the Wendell blindside. That seemed pretty obvious to me and consistent with what the episode told us as well as past ones.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

STAC Goat posted:

On the other hand if we had no Edge of Extinction then all those old school players people are upset are gone would be gone quicker and the more low key players would have been more of the show.

Not seeing the problem here. Some of the old school people have been on FIVE seasons before this, and they've had their time in the sun.

Much like pro wrestling, you have to make new stars, and you're not going to accomplish that by making old people the focus of your product even when the game has passed them by.

Unison
Oct 12, 2005

Stokes posted:

I'm watching AU season 2 as my first AU Survivor experience. I like it but production-wise there's a lot of fanservice that's kind of off-putting that they do instead of making AU it's own thing. The host is just Jeff with an Aussie accent. He even does the "Well if it's one thing we learned...." South Park outro that Jeff does.

Be yourself, my dude.

FWIW, AU Survivor gets way better in later seasons. Eventually (maybe in AU Season 5?), there's a tribal where someone accidentally calls Jonathan "Jeff" and everyone laughs.

Great TV.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Unison posted:

FWIW, AU Survivor gets way better in later seasons. Eventually (maybe in AU Season 5?), there's a tribal where someone accidentally calls Jonathan "Jeff" and everyone laughs.

Great TV.

Jonathan is a better Jeff Probst than Jeff Probst is in 2020.

I used to think Probst was impossible to replace. Now I think replacing him with Jonathan would be an improvement.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/survivor-season-finale-amazing-race-premiere-date-cbs-1234578484/

-Reunion will be done virtually
-Finale + reunion is on May 13th and is three hours (I think this is normal?)
-May 6th episode is two hours
-Amazing Race starts on May 20th

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
21 people on a call with varying degrees of mic quality is going to be such a poo poo show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shneak posted:

21 people on a call with varying degrees of mic quality is going to be such a poo poo show.

It's ok they'll only talk to seven of them

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Way harder for Jeff to moderate on Zoom. Danni might go rogue and speak. :getin:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

-Amazing Race starts on May 20th

Yissssssss is anybody doing a thread?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Amazing Race is still a thing??? drat I remember the first season or two, before everyone had cell phones and it was honestly a really neat idea back then.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Mini-review of AU season 2: Ziggy is my chaotic neutral (or is it neutral evil?) spirit animal. The remove jury member advantage is dumb and straight up not fair. The wrong person won.

The only thing that is going to be a bummer about the conference call finale is that Jeff is probably going to be able to control any kind of negativity towards the EoE gimmick. It will be interesting to see how they divide up the air time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

precision posted:

Amazing Race is still a thing??? drat I remember the first season or two, before everyone had cell phones and it was honestly a really neat idea back then.

racers aren't allowed to use cell phones

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IcePhoenix posted:

racers aren't allowed to use cell phones

Yeah but I meant more that everyone AROUND them is gonna have one. Like if they have to stop and ask directions, the random person they ask can just Google it

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Has AZ evolved past just being ten rounds of global taxi roulette? I watched some of the mid-30 seasons a year or so ago and it feels the same as it did watching season 7-9, for better and worse.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Rob and Amber were on Amazing Race once, if anyone didn't know and wanted more of them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Amazing Race just kind of bores me as a game, at least based on the four or so episodes I've seen.

It just feels like if you took a Survivor challenge and stretched it over like an entire 45 minutes of airtime.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Daikloktos posted:

Rob and Amber were on Amazing Race once, if anyone didn't know and wanted more of them.

Twice!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Raxivace posted:

Amazing Race just kind of bores me as a game, at least based on the four or so episodes I've seen.

It just feels like if you took a Survivor challenge and stretched it over like an entire 45 minutes of airtime.

I feel like Amazing Race is a little too much game for me. Its very formulaic and hyper focused on the tasks and all, which is fine and I usually like that stuff in other shows. But the balance seems too far in that direction for me or something. I end up not super caring about the people doing the racing unless they really stand out or I had a pre-existing opinion of them.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Daikloktos posted:

I remember all the other contestants being mad at them because they broke the meta to straight up skip challenges to take a time penalty and use their celebrity to great effect to get ahead. That was a fun season.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I’m not usually an Amazing Race fan, but it was super fun seeing Rachel and Brendan on there.

Can never have too much Rachel on these sorts of shows. :swoon:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Amazing Race definitely lives and dies on the personalities of the teams. Survivor can sort of cover up boring people with the strategy and tension but it's pretty rare for a race to come down to the end (despite the editors doing their best to make it look close).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I just went down a mini Amazing Race wikihole and uh

did Danielle write this

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I thought the family season they did that one time was cool. Did they ever do that again?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pinterest Mom posted:

I just went down a mini Amazing Race wikihole and uh

did Danielle write this

this might be better than the goat yoga ladies who I think split their business before they even got home

e: they were eliminated in the second episode too so it's not like it even had time to fester they just instantly imploded because one of them was a total bitch as soon as they hit adversity

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 15, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I vaguely remember a season with a woman who had a prosthetic leg and was dating her physical therapist, and they definitely broke up halfway through the series and he came off as really demanding.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Sighence posted:

Has AZ evolved past just being ten rounds of global taxi roulette? I watched some of the mid-30 seasons a year or so ago and it feels the same as it did watching season 7-9, for better and worse.

Taxis don't seem to come into play much any more. There's usually one of two cab stealing incidents a season, and a few times where cabs can't be found somewhere, but it's no longer a major theme. Same with flights being hours apart and killing teams; there's always some equalizer (which can be really annoying).

The Lord Bude posted:

I thought the family season they did that one time was cool. Did they ever do that again?

... that was by far their worst season ever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The flight/cab thing is weird to me because when I've watched it seems like a lot of noise and then they all end up at the same place at relatively the same time.

Which I think is fair but like that's the "formula" that feels to me like its more habit and tradition than actually something happening. It would be like if every episode of Survivor had a 15 minute segment of people picking Reward Challenge teams or something.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

I just started rewatching season 1 on CBS on demand. I forgot how much more difficult being on the show was in the those early seasons. Like they were legit starving and had to plow through the jungle in the middle of the night to reach tribal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I spent much of those early seasons wondering how much danger CBS would actually allow them to be in.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

The flight/cab thing is weird to me because when I've watched it seems like a lot of noise and then they all end up at the same place at relatively the same time.

Which I think is fair but like that's the "formula" that feels to me like its more habit and tradition than actually something happening. It would be like if every episode of Survivor had a 15 minute segment of people picking Reward Challenge teams or something.

I really miss the flights being a bigger deal from past seasons. Maybe it's just a product of the world as a whole now though that there aren't as many options or chances for teams to try and skip ahead of the others.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

e.martin posted:

I just started rewatching season 1 on CBS on demand. I forgot how much more difficult being on the show was in the those early seasons. Like they were legit starving and had to plow through the jungle in the middle of the night to reach tribal.

Definitely rewatch Africa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But seriously... were there dudes with guns next to the camera men or was "you might get eaten by a lion" just in fine print of the contracts?