Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

FairGame posted:

Forgive my ignorance: what’s a UK non-English accent? Like...Scottish or Irish?

Basically that, yes. I'd add Welsh to the mix, but I don't expect the average person on the internet to be acquainted with what a Welsh accent sounds like :v: .

That being said...

Munin posted:

I presume he was more thinking of an accent associated with a BAME background. That would only be my first assumption though.

You make a good point, and I should've been more thoughtful. Those accents qualify just as much to be called "British" as Irish/Scottish/Welsh, yet I didn't think of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sadly, on the PS4 I'm limited in the voicepacks I get.

I'd love to have Mr. Drippy fight some aliens, but alas.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Kibayasu posted:

Is it possible/a good idea to farm these zombie missions for experience? Or do zombies not give any.

Lost give a smaller amount of XP than other enemies but it's nonzero.

In a totally unrelated note, FairGame what's your policy on giving guns stupid names?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well that's one way to make an indelible first impression on a commander. Blow up two cars on a sneaky mission and miss almost every shot.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait a minute, so even a few lost will cause your computer or console to turn into a barbecue? I thought it was only big swarms that did that?

And it's good to see I'm on fine form as usual, missing a 94%-to-hit shot :madmax:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Chuu posted:

Well that's one way to make an indelible first impression on a commander. Blow up two cars on a sneaky mission and miss almost every shot.

What you blow in the rehearsal you generally nail in the main event!

But the RNG's cold heart cares nought about such things. :smith:

Dancer posted:

Basically that, yes. I'd add Welsh to the mix, but I don't expect the average person on the internet to be acquainted with what a Welsh accent sounds like :v: .

That being said...

You make a good point, and I should've been more thoughtful. Those accents qualify just as much to be called "British" as Irish/Scottish/Welsh, yet I didn't think of them.
Most people I encounter who identify strongly with an Irish/Scottish/Welsh accent tend to be rather at odds with describing them as part of the UK identity. :D

But apologies, I should have left you to clarify.

Munin fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 15, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Lost seem beyond tedious to fight, but it is neat that they'll attack Advent too.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait a minute, so even a few lost will cause your computer or console to turn into a barbecue? I thought it was only big swarms that did that?

And it's good to see I'm on fine form as usual, missing a 94%-to-hit shot :madmax:

My PC handles them just fine. It's a console thing because of the hardware in the PS4 I think.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Wow, that was a bummer.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One thing I think I might like, from an audience perspective, is if you didn't tell me things like "having an extra action would have been super useful" until it comes up in the mission that we needed it. The suspense is half the fun!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Wow, that was a bummer.

the assassin is an rear end in a top hat, especially early game. I think out of all of the chosen the assassin is the one that stays the most dangerous through the entire game, mostly because of her absurd movement range.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
For what it's worth I think you made the right call.

Not picking feedback immediately. I respect the balls on that decision even if I disagree with it!

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 15, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The only psionic units that can come up right now are Sectoids and possibly the Warlock. It's a waste at especially since your slot options are so goddamned limited.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

reignofevil posted:

One thing I think I might like, from an audience perspective, is if you didn't tell me things like "having an extra action would have been super useful" until it comes up in the mission that we needed it. The suspense is half the fun!

Yeah, that's the downside of me doing commentary in post instead of hearing my thought process as I fight it out in real time. I'll try and be better about not having oblique spoilers going forward.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 23, 2021

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I feel like they introduce the Chosen way too early. This is what, the third mission of the campaign? You get four guys, and you're lucky if they're all squaddies. Now, fight this crazy teleporting murder machine with a million HP who gets seven actions a round and can easily disable two of your soldiers a turn, from anywhere, without exposing herself to danger. And she'll probably attack while you're fighting another pod. Obviously it's supposed to set them up as this terrifying threat, but it's mostly just ridiculous.

e: What it reminds me of is starting a new character in an MMO that already has expansions, so you walk into the first town as a level 2 farmer with a stick and find that there's this giant angel robot wrapped in purple flames sitting outside the item shop who informs you that he can teleport you to the Plane of Annihilation once you hit level 56. Gotta introduce that DLC!

megane fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 15, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

megane posted:

I feel like they introduce the Chosen way too early. This is what, the third mission of the campaign? You get four guys, and you're lucky if they're all squaddies. Now, fight this crazy teleporting murder machine with a million HP who gets seven actions a round and can easily disable two of your soldiers a turn, from anywhere, without exposing herself to danger. And she'll probably attack while you're fighting another pod. Obviously it's supposed to set them up as this terrifying threat, but it's mostly just ridiculous.

e: What it reminds me of is starting a new character in an MMO that already has expansions, so you walk into the first town as a level 2 farmer with a stick and find that there's this giant angel robot wrapped in purple flames sitting outside the item shop who informs you that he can teleport you to the Plane of Annihilation once you hit level 56. Gotta introduce that DLC!

On classic I'd describe your first chosen fight as usually manageable. The occasional bad map + grapple + sniping tomfoolery aside. On Legendary though you just have to get in that crucial first strike, with the Assassin that means gigantic double moves in the direction you expect her to be coming from so that you make first contact, which would have risked revealing the other two aliens somewhere on the map here. Not really any good options but that's why it's the hardest difficulty.

I can't speak to legendary difficulty but on classic if you have the more "story oriented" campaign enabled for WoTC your first encounter with the chosen will be a heavily scripted mission in which the assassin has about two thirds of her health available. Also you'll have more soldiers available. On the downside the Assassin will have arguably her most over-powered of the randomly drawn chosen strengths, immunity to overwatch shots. Which makes her even more difficult over the course of the campaign, so it's a tradeoff.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
I agree with Megane. The third mission is very early to introduce any of the Chosen, especially the Assassin. The mission that normally introduces them (Lost and Abandoned?), is much more manageable and she can be handled more easily. It's entirely justifiable to do what FairGame did in the circumstances, especially given that she teleported in before contact with Advent had been made.

On the bright side, assaulting Chosen bases is a blast and it's a good feeling to clown on them with a squad full of badasses

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just noticed that's John de Lancie as the Templar leader. Always a good addition.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
I'm very excited to get to go on a covert mission this time around. eating only apples, I promise I'll bring your cool jacket back with only a few bloodstains.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Kaishai posted:

I'm very excited to get to go on a covert mission this time around. eating only apples, I promise I'll bring your cool jacket back with only a few bloodstains.

Oof, careful with the death flags there

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Kaishai posted:

:thumbsup: See you soon, my friend! Let's go for a drink when this is all over! You're only two weeks from retirement, right?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm glad I get to keep in character by being extremely slow to show up as a soldier

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Oof, careful with the death flags there

If I get blasted by alien lasers, there won't be many bloodstains! Lasers cauterize. :science:

eating only apples posted:

:thumbsup: See you soon, my friend! Let's go for a drink when this is all over! You're only two weeks from retirement, right?

Why, yes! And do you know, I think I'm finally ready to propose to the man of my dreams. Just as soon as I get back from this mission. I've got the ring box in my pocket and everything....

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Just getting caught up, LMAO that double Lancer pod was insane bullshit.

I'll sign up to be a soldier:
Dr Carlos "Dead" Danger
Middle-aged. Balding. Glasses. Purple wild-pattern armor (with a gold flame job once powered.)
Since I'm late to the party, I'll take Rookie -> PsiOp or Robot for class.

Kibayasu posted:

Is it possible/a good idea to farm these zombie missions for experience? Or do zombies not give any.
It's doable. Lost normally give a fraction of the XP of an Advent soldier. There are a few reasons not to, though.

At low levels, your accuracy isn't enough to guarantee putting down a whole swarm, so if you have any sense, you end up evacuating when you don't put a swarm within punch range down rather than rolling the dice on someone ending up in medbay (which hurts more when you have a thin roster in the early game.) Once your soldiers level up enough to handle swarms reliably, it's just tedious and you don't usually *need* a promotion at any point in time.

Another reason is fatigue: soldiers lose fatigue the more pods they come across, and although single mission Will losses appear to be capped, farming lost means that everyone comes back tired. If they started tired, they're exhausted. Single mission XP gains also appear to be capped, so once a soldier earns a promotion, keeping them on the field just means losing Will and HP.

I've done it as an experiment: I had a mid-game lost VIP mission that went really well, and I got the team back to the LZ without a wound. I camped everyone there and started farming swarms, using grenades to knock out walls that blocked my line of sight because at that point why not. As soldiers promoted or got hit, I evacced them, until it was just the two robots left. They killed 187 lost total by the time I got bored/decided to stop taking more damage.

Robots don't have a willpower score, so theoretically if you brought six of them, you could keep it up a long time, but eventually a string of missed shots mean lost getting to the squad and inflicting damage, and damage can't be healed indefinitely mid mission.

Overall, I don't recommend it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Hey, the game has smiled upon my character and dumped him into the roster. I'm digging the dreads, thanks. But do re-equip me with the Resistance Kevlar if you get a chance! I want to get shot wearing a dumpy sweatshirt, not some ballistic vest.

Roth posted:

Just noticed that's John de Lancie as the Templar leader. Always a good addition.

Yep, and the leader of the third faction is also from Star Trek (Tasha Yar, whose real name I forget). Former TNG actors seem to travel in packs; see also: Gargoyles.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Akratic Method posted:

Yep, and the leader of the third faction is also from Star Trek (Tasha Yar, whose real name I forget).

Denise Crosby, granddaughter of Bing, though apparently her father was a deadbeat.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ignore this :)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ouch, that was harsh. On legendary discretion is definitely the better part of valor though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Akratic Method posted:

Yep, and the leader of the third faction is also from Star Trek (Tasha Yar, whose real name I forget). Former TNG actors seem to travel in packs; see also: Gargoyles.

I always like to imagine that the Commander looks like Captain Picard just to complete the set. It's not like you ever see them.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Omnicrom posted:

I always like to imagine that the Commander looks like Captain Picard just to complete the set. It's not like you ever see them.

They probably did shave the Commander before putting them in the cube.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

Hey, the game has smiled upon my character and dumped him into the roster. I'm digging the dreads, thanks. But do re-equip me with the Resistance Kevlar if you get a chance! I want to get shot wearing a dumpy sweatshirt, not some ballistic vest.

Your dude looks like takeshi69 lol

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Kind of amazed that the Long War LP ended; I'm so used to seeing it around, I hadn't noticed it had vanished and this appeared till now. Long War isn't supposed to END, it just kinda. . . exists. Forever.

If recruits are still open, I'd like to toss my name in:

Name: Ousie
Appearance: lots of pink, and as much spiky armor/hair/whatever as possible.
Class: Grenadier or Ranger preferably

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

ousire posted:

Kind of amazed that the Long War LP ended; I'm so used to seeing it around, I hadn't noticed it had vanished and this appeared till now. Long War isn't supposed to END, it just kinda. . . exists. Forever.

There's a Master of Orion 3 LP thats been going on for almost 4 years: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771899

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Grapplejack posted:

Your dude looks like takeshi69 lol

God drat it, I'm gonna end up getting captured by the Chosen and snitching on the Avenger.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Akratic Method posted:

I don’t think I HAVE the resistance kevlar. Remember I’m on PS4, not PC. (If I do have it, what option is it?)

Also, yeah, the first thing I thought of when I heard Frakes and Sirtis was “cool, Xanatos and Demona.”

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Where did "Sixto" come from btw?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Munin posted:

Where did "Sixto" come from btw?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lezcasi01.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

FairGame posted:

I don’t think I HAVE the resistance kevlar. Remember I’m on PS4, not PC. (If I do have it, what option is it?)

I thought they wrapped all the DLCs in with the WOTC release, but possibly not. If you’ve got it, it’s just an armor choice in the load out screen.