Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MoaM posted:

What exactly was the point of Crisis Core?...

Like...why does it exist? Advent Children is like a direct sequel almost, what did Crisis Core add?
It adds nothing, it just expands on the Zack Fair parts of FF7 in a way that's kinda cool to see. Ignore literally everything else about it that isn't based on a FF7 flashback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can only hope they downplay Genesis in the remake-sequels though, because gently caress Genesis. I hope he's not popular in Japan.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Under the Apple Tree is a good song IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6MF0IfsvQ

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

It adds nothing, it just expands on the Zack Fair parts of FF7 in a way that's kinda cool to see. Ignore literally everything else about it that isn't based on a FF7 flashback

Eh, I wouldn't agree with that.

Some of the best bits of it are Aerith and Zack hanging out (largely because in Japan they were voiced by a real-life married couple and so they banter with legitimate charisma) and a few other things. Like you actually get to see Sephiroth acting like a sane person which makes what happens to him afterwards feel more shocking rather than "this guy we knew was batshit is in fact batshit."

Also The Price of Freedom is a top tier FF song.

I would say that CC is strongest when it is fleshing out events from FF7 and weakest when it is doing its own thing. Kind of like FFVIIR!

Clarste posted:

I can only play they downplay Genesis in the remake-sequels though, because gently caress Genesis. I hope he's not popular in Japan.

I mean Genesis gets a very brief namedrop in this (when Hojo is talking about 'mating' Aerith) but considering that apparently Gackt doesn't want to do anything more with FF I think they'll leave it at that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 15, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Crisis Core music in general is very good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I include the Aerith stuff under that umbrella

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For those who never played Crisis Core, Genesis is another Sephiroth who tries to be even more Sephiroth. Even prettier hair, even more pretentious dialog, and even more angelic motifs.

It's awful.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing shall forestall my return...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

For those who never played Crisis Core, Genesis is another Sephiroth who tries to be even more Sephiroth. Even prettier hair, even more pretentious dialog, and even more angelic motifs.

It's awful.

To be more clear:

Genesis was an attempt to try a different method of making a Sephiroth but one that failed miserably and starts decaying. He becomes obsessed with a poem because he thinks it holds the secret to not dissolving into a horrifying pile of jenova goo and dedicates himself to trying to live out that poem while everyone else around him is like "what the gently caress?"

That's right. Genesis isn't Sephiroth. He's Seifer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That poem is Loveless, the play from the sign in Midgar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why did beating up ghosts change some totally separate timeline? If that's what it was.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I still think my favorite loveless gag is in the original game when Cid mentioned he went to see it live and fell asleep, which if you’ve never listened to the actual album is a feat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Because time ghosts.

Given that they call it the Will of the Planet it makes most sense to me to consider it a variation on the Weapons. They don't have any actual control over fate or anything, they are just physical beings that are trying to physically nudge things in the direction the Planet wants them to go. And just like the Weapons they can be killed. So they're dead now, or at least a major clump of them.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 15, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I wonder if the play in the Golden Saucer is going to be a full length musical now.

Starring Jessie Raspberry as the Princess.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

ImpAtom posted:

It also lends some backstory/world building to other stuff, some of which is stupid and some of which actually does a nice job of fleshing out empty periods of the story (like the war with Wutai.)

homeless snail posted:

OK, thanks guys.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Clarste posted:

Because time ghosts.

:cawg:

Clarste posted:

So they're dead now, or at least a major clump of them.

:tinfoil:

Optional remake bosses and DQXI-like cross-overs are comin' people...book it.

:tinfoil:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
e: mistakenly pressed reply, not edit

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Clarste posted:

I wonder if the play in the Golden Saucer is going to be a full length musical now.

Starring Jessie Raspberry as the Princess.

Eh, I think she'll fall a little flat for that role.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

Eh, I think she'll fall a little flat for that role.

On the contrary, I think she’s positively smashing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Poor Jessie. Always the bridesmaid/stagehand.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly it annoys me that Wedge survives (possibly even gets saved at the end by the whispers???), Biggs also somehow lives but we get no explicit reveal of Jessie living.

Make Jessie an explosive-based party member next gane, you cowards.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Flopsy posted:

I think we're all overlooking a incredibly juicy possibility here. The game essentially saying screw destiny means it opens itself up to being a multiple choice for your actions sorta game. I mean with all the time and care they put into putting out these episodes the possibility of getting wildly diverging story beats for making different choices suddenly opens itself up. And I'm so here for where they go with that because there's a lot of characters I wish had more development/screen time and I feel like they're about to offer me everything I've ever wanted.

Yeah, the fact that game 1 of the remake literally went out of its way to say "gently caress destiny, we'll make what we want" is pretty much outright saying there's no guarantee that the rest of the remake will follow the same story. That could be really good, or it could faceplant. We get to find out.

Either way, a bunch of people are gonna piss their pants over it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is Wedge voiced by the guy that played Badger in Breaking Bad?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly it annoys me that Wedge survives (possibly even gets saved at the end by the whispers???), Biggs also somehow lives but we get no explicit reveal of Jessie living.

It was pointed out that next to Biggs on the counter where his bandanna is also is Jessie's gloves.

So there's a good chance she's alive.

And Wedge may be dead. The Whispers were pushing him towards a window, we hear a smash, and his last lines of dialogue are the same lines of dialogue they were in the original game during his death scene

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's gonna make when she comes back in the next game 10x more hype this way though

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Explains why I kept expecting a line about blue stuff at some point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MelancholyMark posted:

It's gonna make when she comes back in the next game 10x more hype this way though

You know, Jessie is established as a tech person...

Kill Cid and have Jessie become your badass dragoon tech person.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Clarste posted:

Further thoughts: my acting assumption at the moment is that Jenova/Sephiroth is trying to pull a Chrono Cross and creating a new timeline where it has a chance to survive.

Also, they should've called the big Whisper the Obsidian Weapon or something since it serves more or less the same role as a Weapon (giant monster acting on will of the Planet) with only a little more mystical mumbo-jumbo sprinkled on top. This wouldn't have changed anything BUT it would've made fans like me shiver in delight for a moment.

I thought it was a weapon too :( That would have been cool.

Also if that scene means Jessie is alive, YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Yes, and it is loving awesome.

Check imdb.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I really don't feel like there was a good sense of urgency in the run up to the plate dropping. Oh let's just spend an hour doing some ghostbusting instead of running to the plate.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IDK its not like they're going out of their way to do the ghost busting, the ghosts aren't letting them leave. About the same scope as the train graveyard in the original game imo

Now the underground Shinra research facility under Wedge's house, thats a weird detour

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Sector 7’s about to come down. Better chill on this bench for a few and check out the vending machine conveniently near the top of this pillar.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
They set up the research facility somewhere in Chapter 3 / 4, I can't recall...
I really don't like the design of the Unknown Entities, they seemed more like sentient beings from another world than bio-lab experiments gone wrong.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, the fact that game 1 of the remake literally went out of its way to say "gently caress destiny, we'll make what we want" is pretty much outright saying there's no guarantee that the rest of the remake will follow the same story. That could be really good, or it could faceplant. We get to find out.

Either way, a bunch of people are gonna piss their pants over it.

Thats more or less how I interpreted the ending. Either things are about to go balls to wall amazing or it'll land like a wet fart. I'm willing to see where it goes either way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, I feel like the way they handled all the Jenova spawn other than the Dreamweaver was kind of odd.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll admit, I'm not sure why they went to the trouble of saving Wedge in this incarnation, giving you a whole dungeon to save him, bring him back for the final showdown... and then (possibly) just kill him off again.

But the AVALANCHE scoobies were cool. Tripping death flags left and right obviously even if you haven't played the original game, but cool.

Cloud had better get the best pizza ever in part 2, though.

Also, was there ever actually a point to that weird childhood flashback Aerith got in the Train Graveyard? With... Marlene being there for whatever reason?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MoaM posted:

They set up the research facility somewhere in Chapter 3 / 4, I can't recall...
I really don't like the design of the Unknown Entities, they seemed more like sentient beings from another world than bio-lab experiments gone wrong.

I thought they were supposed to be updates of the weird-rear end thing that came out of the pod in Cloud's flashback in the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Aerith's motivation of "I'd really rather not die" is reasonably justified. She spends a lot of this game talking about how she dislikes the inevitability of a dark fate and whatnot.
I kinda like the idea that Seph is trying to pull The Last Temptation of Aerith Gainsborough.