Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Yeah there's a lot of off-screen suicides, nasty ones but they were almost always off-screen and latest ST installments are gore fest (loving icheb) in every possible way :v:

Tighclops posted:

Lol you picked the one shot in the whole show that looks the most like the ships from Picard

Yeah someone brought it up recently in B5 thread so your comparison made me giggle :D
https://i.imgur.com/rtwyyvw.jpg it was this shot :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AntherUslessPoster posted:

latest ST installments are gore fest (loving icheb)

That was so gross. I did not need to see that poo poo. loving Game of Thrones made television so goddamn ugly.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That was so gross. I did not need to see that poo poo. loving Game of Thrones made television so goddamn ugly.

People who write TV see the success Game of Thrones had and think 'Wow, as long as I put swears, violence, and boobs into my show, it will be a success!'. Even though Season 8 had those things, and a terrible story, and people hated it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Michael Chabon claims that it was borne from artistic merit and lack of censorship in the previous Star Treks. Doing a bait-and-switch on the level of violence in a franchise is mean to the audience which was expecting something else, like barging into a room to do performance art unannounced that you know very well many people are going to find disgustingly grotesque. I don't want someone sneaking gore into a live-action Scooby Doo and telling me it's a statement that accomplishes things previous writers couldn't with censorship, and I don't want it in Star Trek, either. They're a bit different in that Star Trek speaks to our hopes for the future and how we hope society will change, the human struggle, and how we should persevere, but I disagree that gore is essential to that message for anything other than shock value. It's an abortion clinic protester level of thinking.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

galenanorth posted:

Michael Chabon claims that it was borne from artistic merit and lack of censorship in the previous Star Treks. Doing a bait-and-switch on the level of violence in a franchise is mean to the audience which was expecting something else, like barging into a room to do performance art unannounced that you know very well many people are going to find disgustingly grotesque. I don't want someone sneaking gore into a live-action Scooby Doo and telling me it's a statement that accomplishes things previous writers couldn't with censorship, and I don't want it in Star Trek, either. They're a bit different in that Star Trek speaks to our hopes for the future and how we hope society will change, the human struggle, and how we should persevere, but I disagree that gore is essential to that message for anything other than shock value. It's an abortion clinic protester level of thinking.

I thought the gore in Discovery season 1 was cynical and gratuitous. The eye scene in Picard was a misfire, but I get the sense it was more of an iffy buy well-intentioned creative choice because it did actually have a narrative purpose (making us feel sympathy for Seven and "showing not telling" how the xB's are treated like galactic garbage.)

It didn't bother me when I saw it, but I can understand how trekkies feel burned by that sort of thing.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I didn't think it was particularly gory, given some of the body horror that's been in Trek since the beginning.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Angry Salami posted:

I didn't think it was particularly gory, given some of the body horror that's been in Trek since the beginning.

Don’t say that around here. If you only knew DISCO or Picard from this thread you’d think they were Tom Six films

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing wrong with a little gore or body horror now and then, the new stuff would probably feel less gratuitous if these shows were a tenth as deep as they sold themselves as

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Or if it wasn't jarringly used as the prologue to a light hearted caper episode instead of a shock twist after lulling you into a false sense of security. That level of violence doesn't bother me in the slightest, but they were too rigid in their formula of beginning each episode with a flashback to notice that it hosed the tone they were trying to establish for the next 40 minutes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tighclops posted:

There's nothing wrong with a little gore or body horror now and then, the new stuff would probably feel less gratuitous if these shows were a tenth as deep as they sold themselves as
The Icheb thing was a waste since they start the episode with his death

Would have worked better to put that at the end to reveal why Seven is so much different than when we saw her last

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Peachfart posted:

People who write TV see the success Game of Thrones had and think 'Wow, as long as I put swears, violence, and boobs into my show, it will be a success!'. Even though Season 8 had those things, and a terrible story, and people hated it.
I feel like this is a CBS All-Access deal. The new Twilight Zone had ridiculous cursing in episodes that easily could have been for general audiences.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I thought the gore in Discovery season 1 was cynical and gratuitous. The eye scene in Picard was a misfire, but I get the sense it was more of an iffy buy well-intentioned creative choice because it did actually have a narrative purpose (making us feel sympathy for Seven and "showing not telling" how the xB's are treated like galactic garbage.)

It didn't bother me when I saw it, but I can understand how trekkies feel burned by that sort of thing.

I'm not happy about Icheb getting tortured to death (in part because it's just absurd how nearly every loving character is deeply scarred by tragedy) but I can accept that as a story decision. What I'm more bothered by is I don't think they had to focus in on a bloody eye implant getting pulled out.

I mean, I'm fine admitting this: I found it uncomfortable to watch. "Star Trek" aside, that scene was gross and unpleasant to me.

Angry Salami posted:

I'm not going to say there was never gore in TNG (e.g. the exposed brain tissue in Transformations) but I think there's a visceral difference between what we saw in the past and people being brutally mutilated in close-up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just accept that Star Trek was bad in the past and that's why this Star Trek is good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Just accept that Star Trek was bad in the past and that's why this Star Trek is good.

Star Trek was always good some weeks because it was bad other weeks. It was deliberately experimental and that was why they could pull off poo poo like Darmok or The Inner Light.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This pandemic is going to cause me to finish Voyager then finally watch TOS.

I feel like I'm the only Star Trek fan that hasn't sat down and watched TOS.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

According to Eaglemoss Collectibles, one of the Section 31 ships from Disco is the Nimrod-class.

Make of that what you will.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Spacebump posted:

TOS owns

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Technowolf posted:

According to Eaglemoss Collectibles, one of the Section 31 ships from Disco is the Nimrod-class.

Make of that what you will.

Only that the cultural influence of Bugs Bunny has finally waned by the 23rd century.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek was always good some weeks because it was bad other weeks. It was deliberately experimental and that was why they could pull off poo poo like Darmok or The Inner Light.

No! Shut up! Trek must adhere to a rigid formula or it is objectively worse than the holocaust.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I've been a trekkie my whole life and I still haven't made it through all of TOS.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's because it is very, very bad.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There’s an episode of TOS where a killer space probe thinks Kirk is its creator, and the episode ends with Spock starting to go into a monologue about the tragic loss of this sentient being, only for Kirk to start making cracks about how he’ll never be able to see his robot son grow up to be a doctor. It rules

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, TOS is great except when it’s not but it’s definitely still worth watching.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's Twilight Zone in space with good characters.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Icheb thing was a waste since they start the episode with his death

Would have worked better to put that at the end to reveal why Seven is so much different than when we saw her last

Yeah, though Seven herself felt super-pointless and i'm still not sure what her role in the story was other than replacing Hugh so that things can be more over the top.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I fully expect the Omega particle to make an appearance in Picard season 2.

For laughs.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Gonz posted:

For laughs.

too obscure. maybe klangons or geordi jr instead. if we're lucky we might even see a bajoran!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Much like Roddenberry's explanation of the TMP Klingons, perhaps Star Trek was always sweary and gory, they just lacked the budget to show the True Star Trek. :smug:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Paper Lion posted:

too obscure. maybe klangons or geordi jr instead. if we're lucky we might even see a bajoran!

Picard develops a crippling addiction to Ketracel White.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gonz posted:

Picard develops a crippling addiction to Ketracel White.

Yeah, that tie-dye man holo-ad (seriously, wtf) should have been trying to sling Raffi some special K.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, though Seven herself felt super-pointless and i'm still not sure what her role in the story was other than replacing Hugh so that things can be more over the top.

It felt like her role was designed as a one-off appearance in her first episode, then later they were like... "and Seven comes back!" as they were thinking of ways to escalate the action closer to the finale.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

No! Shut up! Trek must adhere to a rigid formula or it is objectively worse than the holocaust.

Nobody really think this and your obsession with bringing it up constantly is sadder then the strawman you keep imagining.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This is genuinely cool to watch:

https://intl.startrek.com/videos/watch-a-star-trek-discovery-timelapse

A thirty minute timelapse of the Discovery sets being built.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It felt like her role was designed as a one-off appearance in her first episode, then later they were like... "and Seven comes back!" as they were thinking of ways to escalate the action closer to the finale.
Honestly I thought they were done with her when she left the ship in that episode

Then for some reason they killed off Hugh and brought her back

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Gonz posted:

For laughs.

If they copy pasted the plot to Star Trek Armada (with some reshuffling), I'd probably love it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Senor Tron posted:

This is genuinely cool to watch:

https://intl.startrek.com/videos/watch-a-star-trek-discovery-timelapse

A thirty minute timelapse of the Discovery sets being built.

I love this poo poo. Once the walls start getting colour is when it gets real good.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I love VOY and love 7o9 but man this scene brought totally loving nothing. It was pointless gore galore. Even more so as the episode opening.

Paper Lion posted:

Even more pointless character introduction episodes!

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 15, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

mythicknight posted:

If they copy pasted the plot to Star Trek Armada (with some reshuffling), I'd probably love it.

With Worf collecting a comically huge Sword of Kahless which is twice as big as the Defiant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mythicknight posted:

Oh yeah let's throw that video in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrTBGLot3Wo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Oh wow, it's "what if Star Trek but everything all at once and twice as dramatic".