Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Man, I've been working from home all this week, hardly any activity, and my Series 5 still loving dies at 9-10pm.
Not that I can really bring it in right now anyway, but I already did and they sent it back saying it passed diagnostics. It's probably a waste trying to send it back again, but man does this piss me off.

Mine is real irregular too; some days it’s dying by 8pm and others it will make it through til 1am or later...

Same sized s3 or s4 would nearly get through 2 days without much trouble, and the same basic usage. Then I hear other people saying they get 2+ days out of theirs with even more use.

Not sure if I have a bad battery or something else but when it comes to AppleCare and the watch it’s never been a great experience here in Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Turned it off and on again?

lol

Yeah I’ve re-paired and everything.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

lol

Yeah I’ve re-paired and everything.

I know it’s dumb but a hard off/on works whenever my iphone or apple watch starts sucking inordinate amounts of juice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

stirlo posted:

Mine is real irregular too; some days it’s dying by 8pm and others it will make it through til 1am or later...

Same sized s3 or s4 would nearly get through 2 days without much trouble, and the same basic usage. Then I hear other people saying they get 2+ days out of theirs with even more use.

Not sure if I have a bad battery or something else but when it comes to AppleCare and the watch it’s never been a great experience here in Australia

Yeah I have the exact same experience with my 5 and my old 3 having great battery life. It’s frustrating. If I could return it I would, just to play battery roulette again.

The most ridiculous part of shipping it for repair is they said “we couldn’t reproduce your issue, however our diagnostics may have fixed the issue.” Come the gently caress on.

Violator
May 15, 2003

stirlo posted:

What months did you guys buy your watches? With one of the iPhones (6s maybe?) I would have horrific battery life if the temperature dropped below like 60 degrees. Something like a 95% battery would drop to 30% in minutes and then the phone would shut off. Eventually it came out that the phone was built during like a two week manufacturing period where the batteries were made wrong. They were exposed to oxygen at the wrong point in manufacturing or something so their chemicals were wrong and performance degraded in low temps. I found this out after having the phone for like 8 months. Eventually Apple said if you bought your phone in like October of such and such year you could get it replaced.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Fairly early; I think I ordered the Nike version and got it pretty much as early as possible.. they came out around a few weeks after the normal s5 models; before this model I didn’t even need to check the battery level on the watch at all or have any concerns about it lasting..

Done a few pair - repair to make sure it’s not a weird synch issue with the phone, got rid of nearly all third party apps in case it’s one of those but nothing seems to help on the software end. Starting to think it’s the battery for sure or something related to it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I got mine on release day.

I always had a suspicion it had something to do with the music remote running in the background. Like, if I'm listening to music on my phone, which is connected to bluetooth headphones (Powerbeats Pro in my case), the 'monitoring' the watch did for the music drained it more than usual. It has the music icon at the top of the face, and if you tap it, it opens music controls. I have no scientific data to back this up, but I feel like it drains the battery a lot quicker when I'm listening to stuff on my phone, whether it be to headphones or my CarPlay head unit. Which kind of explains why my battery is poo poo even though I've been sitting on my rear end all week while working from home. I'm listening to music all day from my phone. I dunno.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Man, I've been working from home all this week, hardly any activity, and my Series 5 still loving dies at 9-10pm.
Not that I can really bring it in right now anyway, but I already did and they sent it back saying it passed diagnostics. It's probably a waste trying to send it back again, but man does this piss me off.

Tell the it's been shutting off and restarting to the apple logo randomly. They'll replace it. Shame it has to be this way but it's your best chance at getting a new one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Biodome posted:

Tell the it's been shutting off and restarting to the apple logo randomly. They'll replace it. Shame it has to be this way but it's your best chance at getting a new one.

:sigh: maybe I’ll try this

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Biodome posted:

I can’t imagine that would work, but I guess it’s worth a try if Apple doesn’t actually log system events on the watch.

Most systems, when they reboot/shutdown, will write a log event that basically says “shutdown/reboot” with a time stamp. The next time it boots it looks for that entry in the log and if it doesn’t find it, then it writes an “unexpected shutdown event” message in the log entries related to that boot up. Unless that’s in the system logs, I think you’ll find “it’s randomly rebooting” a tough row to hoe.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
They do log it, and the UI loading too.. I’ve had one bad watch fixed after having them diagnose it over the phone and the Support person even sounded a bit. Freaked out about it

“I. Don’t know how the watch is working at all, it should not be; it has too many crashes to even begin” sort of talk

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

:sigh: maybe I’ll try this

I just got my Series 3 replaced by mail by Apple Support over a chat on the support app. Just told them it had been restarting, they told me unpair repair, I told them I had tried that and it kept happening. Is there anything else we can try? they offered to ship me a new one. I have AppleCare, though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't have Apple Care, but it's still within it's 1 year warranty since it's a 5. I just hate to go through the whole "ok let's ship it away for a week only to have them send it right back saying they can't reproduce the issue" again.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
When I did the chat, the rep straight up told me he would be replacing it. If you go to the store they may give you the run around.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I don't have Apple Care, but it's still within it's 1 year warranty since it's a 5. I just hate to go through the whole "ok let's ship it away for a week only to have them send it right back saying they can't reproduce the issue" again.
For me it's always overnight with fedex. Last week they replaced my right airpod pro immediately cause all the stores are closed. Great service and I don't have care. Just the first year warranty. Good jobs.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
For Apple-Watch-Havers in Germany:

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/corona-datenspende/id1504705422

Donate your heart and activity data to the Roland-Koch-Institut so they might be able understand the spread of Coronavirus better.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Is there a consensus on the best knockoff sport loop? Doesn’t have to be like perfect though, just looking for some cheapish variety.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Realistically they're probably all the same. If you order of AliExpress, I remember Urvoi or something seemed to have a good rep in the anal forums like MacRumors and Reddit groups. I got a few sport loops and a leather loop and they all seemed fine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

crestfallen posted:

Is there a consensus on the best knockoff sport loop? Doesn’t have to be like perfect though, just looking for some cheapish variety.

This is an extremely YMMV post, but the material the knock-offs use isn't quite the same as the Apple ones and you can tell they aren't manufactured as well. They don't feel same, which may be a dealbreaker for you (it is for me).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

japtor posted:

Realistically they're probably all the same. If you order of AliExpress, I remember Urvoi or something seemed to have a good rep in the anal forums like MacRumors and Reddit groups. I got a few sport loops and a leather loop and they all seemed fine.

Yeah I’ve got a few loops from Urvoi, they are good.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is an extremely YMMV post, but the material the knock-offs use isn't quite the same as the Apple ones and you can tell they aren't manufactured as well. They don't feel same, which may be a dealbreaker for you (it is for me).

I've tried three random cheap ones over the years and only one was OKAY, still not great. The lugs are loving awful on every non-apple band I've tried.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
That helps. Thanks for helping set expectations correctly. Seems it’ll be rolling the dice a bit no matter what.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I just clicked a link in this thread from somebody saying “I ordered from these guys and they were good” but that’s probably 20 pages ago now...

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Big Taint posted:

I just clicked a link in this thread from somebody saying “I ordered from these guys and they were good” but that’s probably 20 pages ago now...

A heap of these will change in that time frame ; I have not found any consistent lugs in third party bands myself... some **very** nice bands but the sticker is the quite important part of Not falling off, or even worse warping or bending the watch chassis or body. There’s two areas which are incredibly thin on the bottom and top edges of the watch and if you use a non OEM or lug which is too thick; you might end up damaging the watch permanently..

I had some real nice leather bands from e3 motorcycles NYC; but same issue as the other third parties. Nobody seems to be able to get the lug parts to match Apple; especially when they are made of steel.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Looking for “wake up in light sleep” type alarm.

AutoSleep is awesome. It’s helping me sleep better. I see they have a smart waking alarm app too, but it’s rated much lower. Is there a consensus on the best waking alarm? Looks like the only major contenders I see are AutoWake, Sleep Cycle, and Pillow. Totally willing to pay but not super interested in a subscription just for this feature.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

crestfallen posted:

AutoSleep is awesome. It’s helping me sleep better. I see they have a smart waking alarm app too, but it’s rated much lower. Is there a consensus on the best waking alarm? Looks like the only major contenders I see are AutoWake, Sleep Cycle, and Pillow. Totally willing to pay but not super interested in a subscription just for this feature.

Never tried Pillow, but I'm very impressed with AutoWake. It's just as good as AutoSleep IMO. Use it nightly.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Fly Ricky posted:

Never tried Pillow, but I'm very impressed with AutoWake. It's just as good as AutoSleep IMO. Use it nightly.

AutoWake is easy to set up and works fine for me as well

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Cool. Initially I saw enough iffy stuff in the reviews that it made me ask. Love AutoSleep, good to hear AutoWake is great too. Thanks!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

crestfallen posted:

Sleep Cycle is the best of the lot. The gradual wake up is sublime, and it won’t let you hit snooze past your set wake up time. Infinitely better than Pillow.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

XBenedict posted:

Sleep Cycle is the best of the lot. The gradual wake up is sublime, and it won’t let you hit snooze past your set wake up time. Infinitely better than Pillow.

Sleep Cycle’s Apple Watch app has been pulled.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Yeah, I found it very curious that Sleep Cycle didn’t have a watch app.

AutoWake is pretty cool so far.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The music app literally just disappeared from my Series 4 overnight. First of all, what the gently caress? Second, what should I do?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Heads up everyone, Series 5 models are $100 off at Best Buy right now. Pretty good deal!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I thought there was a way to sync a playlist to your watch but do, like, “limit to N songs” or something. Am I being dumb about this? I have a phone playlist larger than the storage of the watch and it seems like it’s having a hell of a lot of trouble “finishing” syncing, which feels like an issue with storage space (I’ve seen one error message so far about there being no more space, but usually it’s just a spinning circle on the playlist sync screen).

Or is there a better way to go about this? I guess I should just buckle down and do a smart playlist through iTunes but :effort:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

fourwood posted:

I thought there was a way to sync a playlist to your watch but do, like, “limit to N songs” or something. Am I being dumb about this? I have a phone playlist larger than the storage of the watch and it seems like it’s having a hell of a lot of trouble “finishing” syncing, which feels like an issue with storage space (I’ve seen one error message so far about there being no more space, but usually it’s just a spinning circle on the playlist sync screen).

Or is there a better way to go about this? I guess I should just buckle down and do a smart playlist through iTunes but :effort:

Have to do it through iTunes, then it should show up under your Music settings on the watch.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Fly Ricky posted:

Sleep Cycle’s Apple Watch app has been pulled.

Yeah. My bad. I thought this was the iOS app thread.

I still didn’t find Pillows Watch app compelling. It often didn’t work properly for shutting off the alarm, and it’s “awake time” logging is highly suspect.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Heads up everyone, Series 5 models are $100 off at Best Buy right now. Pretty good deal!

Target too, and it qualifies for the 5% RedCard discount.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Screen protector recommendations, or are they all the same? I got a pack of 6 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCNHYGW/

First couple lasted a few months til they started bubbling up and peeling, but the last 3 or so have only lasted a week or two. I’m sure working out and running a lot doesn’t help much, but was just curious if there was a goon recommended one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The recommended screen protector is none. Same goes for cases. They all look like poo poo.

Get AppleCare. If your screen breaks or gets scratched to hell, just get it replaced.

edit: If you really care about keeping the face in perfect condition, get one of the models with the sapphire face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol, I thought I was in the Switch thread for a sec

Imagine getting a screen protector for an Apple Watch