Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koalas March posted:

Welp after saying I wasn'tqualified for UI in MI, then accepting my protest and saying I qualify I've now been informed my claim was denied. Let's see how long it takes me to get evicted.

It won't even let me file another claim or protest lol

contact the relevant offices and your various representatives manually

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Is your county suspending evictions?
Here are some ideas, sorry if they're not helpful:
1. Form a tenant union and demand rent suspension.
2. Write to your representative (yes this sounds stupid)
3. Check out the local DSA or PSL chapter to see if they have a fund for financial relief.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

contact the relevant offices and your various representatives manually

:(

Yeah this is what I'm doing. I sent Rashida an email and I'm going to call her office tomorrow.

Can't really form a union because I'm just renting from some slum Lord how owns random houses in the area and I don't know where exactly or who they are ugh

Thank you guys though I'm gonna keep going but this whole thing has been loving horrible.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like trying to connect Biden to Obama will only benefit Biden no matter how Scary Black Man their audience thinks Obama is.

Being Obama's VP is Bidens whole appeal

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guze posted:

Being Obama's VP is Bidens whole appeal

Right, and despite Obama's reputation on these forums, overall he is still a popular figure. Additionally, he does have the nostalgia factor now.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Pick posted:

Right, and despite Obama's reputation on these forums, overall he is still a popular figure. Additionally, he does have the nostalgia factor now.

He is super popular, these forums are a really poor representation of most stances. It's honestly kinda of wierd, but a lot of folks have just given up posting so they don't constantly get shouted down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean I can unironically say that Obama is the best President in my lifetime.

Keeping in mind the other choices were Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush 2 and Trump.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump has never once understood the concept of Soft Power.

He's the perfect aging white guy boomer in this regard.

In a way, the Soviet Union was the worst possible global 'adversary' this culture could have ever had. The USSR absolutely sucked at projecting soft power, but they were quite intimidating in a hard power sense. This allowed an entire two generations of Americans to grow up with the notion that the only reason we eventually became the hegmon was due to the nation state equivalent of taking our collective shirts off and flexing our outsized pecs.

When, in reality... it was a bunch of quantitative analysis dweebs and a dude named Malcolm McClean who in 1957, started putting freight in standard sized boxes.

As a Xennial with Silent/Boomer cusp parents, Trump would be kind of nostalgic in a 'known spaces' sort of way if he and his cohort weren't such malignant carbuncles, dooming people to misery.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

bird cooch posted:

He is super popular, these forums are a really poor representation of most stances. It's honestly kinda of wierd, but a lot of folks have just given up posting so they don't constantly get shouted down.

This thread is literally the first time I heard anything negative from a heavy non-right, it's been kinda wild

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Tae posted:

This thread is literally the first time I heard anything negative from a heavy non-right, it's been kinda wild

It's chapo Twitter/cspam leaking.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/sparksjls/status/1250181543185780738

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
South Dakota’s governor resisted ordering people to stay home. Now it has one of the nation’s largest coronavirus hot spots.
msn.com/10 hrs ago
'As governors across the country fell into line in recent weeks, South Dakota’s top elected leader stood firm: There would be no statewide order to stay home.

Such edicts to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus, Gov. Kristi L. Noem said disparagingly, reflected a “herd mentality.” It was up to individuals — not government — to decide whether “to exercise their right to work, to worship and to play. Or to even stay at home.”

And besides, the first-term Republican told reporters at a briefing this month, “South Dakota is not New York City.”'

US for-profit healthcare sector cuts thousands of jobs as pandemic rages
theguardian.com/14 Apr 2020
"Health workers are facing layoffs, furloughs and cuts to salaries and schedules in response to declines in revenue"
'Maureen Zeman was a registered nurse for 29 years at a hospital in San Jose, California, before she was laid off with dozens of other nurses – amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Many states across the US have stopped elective medical procedures as part of emergency shutdowns to curb the spread of the coronavirus. As a result, hospitals and medical clinics are implementing layoffs, furloughs and cuts to salaries and work schedules in response to declines in revenue.

The for-profit company that owns the hospital where Zeman worked decided to shut down the maternal delivery department at the end of March. It put Zeman and many others out of a job, and left patients with far fewer options.

“They say it’s not related to Covid-19, but it’s a huge disservice to the women of the east side of San Jose. Doing this during a pandemic is terrible,” said Zeman. “They said it wasn’t financially stable to keep the unit open, and so they’re closing. Our big concern is we’re a trauma center and there are no hospitals in this area that can take care of women and children’s services.”'

[Have seen this today as an argument from the nazis that all is well: "Why are hospitals laying off people then?"]

ICE ignores coronavirus guidelines in detention, federal lawsuit says. ‘Many will die.’
miamiherald.com/April 13, 2020
'National health experts say U.S. immigration officials are violating federal guidelines by grouping inmates together by the hundreds if they have COVID-19 symptoms or have been exposed to the coronavirus, according to a lawsuit filed in Miami federal court Monday.

The lawsuit — filed by the University of Miami’s immigration law clinic, the Southern Poverty Law Center, the Rapid Defense Network in New York, the Legal Aid Service of Broward County and Prada Urizar, a private Miami law firm, against U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the U.S. Attorney General — seeks the release of detainees in three South Florida detention centers, citing health experts who say the practice of “cohorting” — segregating affected inmates in separate areas — is actually spreading the coronavirus “like wildfire” among detainees and staff.'

Who Is Jared Kushner? Narrated By Anna Akana
youtube.com/Mar 4, 2020

The Revolution Is Under Way Already
theatlantic.com/April 5, 2020
"Far from making Americans crave stability, the pandemic underscores how everything is up for grabs."
"Fear sweeps the land. Many businesses collapse. Some huge fortunes are made. Panicked consumers stockpile paper, food, and weapons. The government’s reaction is inconsistent and ineffectual. Ordinary commerce grinds to a halt; investors can find no safe assets. Political factionalism grows more intense. Everything falls apart.

This was all as true of revolutionary France in 1789 and 1790 as it is of the United States today. Are we at the beginning of a revolution that has yet to be named? Do we want to be? That we are on the verge of a major transformation seems obvious. The onset of the next Depression, a challenge akin to World War II, a national midlife crisis—these comparisons have been offered and many more. But few are calling our current moment a revolution, and some have suggested that the coronavirus pandemic—coinciding as it has with the surge in Joe Biden’s bid for the Democratic presidential nomination and the decline of Bernie Sanders’s—marks the end of any such possibility. “The Coronavirus Killed the Revolution,” declared the headline of a recent essay in The Atlantic by Shadi Hamid, who argued that the COVID-19 crisis makes people crave “normalcy” over deep structural change. As a historian of 18th- and 19th-century France, I think claims like these are mistaken."

Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads | Free to read
ft.com/4 hours ago
"The human cost of the coronavirus outbreak has continued to mount, with more than 1.99m cases confirmed globally and more than 120,000 people known to have died from the disease.

The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a pandemic and it has spread to more than 190 countries around the world.

This page provides an up-to-date visual narrative of the spread of Covid-19 so please check back regularly because we will be refreshing it with new graphics and features as the story evolves."

FDA clears first saliva test to diagnose coronavirus
nbcnews.com/April 13, 2020
"Rutgers University researchers have received U.S. government clearance for the first saliva test to help diagnose COVID-19, a new approach that could help expand testing options and reduce risks of infection for health care workers."

They can't march in the streets. So they're protesting in their cars instead
cnn.com/April 14, 2020
'The protesters met up at a gas station.

They taped signs on the sides of their cars and got ready to blare their horns.

Then they drove slowly down the street together.

The scene on a recent evening in Eloy, Arizona, about 60 miles southeast of Phoenix, was different than any demonstration Natally Cruz had joined before.

"I felt chills ... just to see how much support there is out there, to see how even at this hard time, people are still trying to find a way to help one another," says Cruz, who headed to the protest in her black Nissan Maxima with several signs in tow.'

Are We at the Start of a New Protest Movement?
nytimes.com/April 13, 2020
"The immediate immiseration of millions of people highlights our mutual bond."
"The coronavirus catastrophe shows that we need political protests more than ever. Tens of millions of citizens sit at home awaiting meager checks that may reach them by August. Countless people endure the bewilderment of navigating call centers that often fail to connect them to unemployment benefits. Donations to food banks have fallen while need rises. The inept federal response slows the arrival of aid, forcing people to defy the “social distancing” necessary to keep the virus at bay."

Arrest made as protesters call for North Carolina businesses to reopen
wbtv.com/ April 14, 2020
'A group of demonstrators are outside the General Assembly in downtown Raleigh Tuesday morning calling for businesses to reopen amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Some are holding signs that say “Reopen NC” while another has a sign that reads “Freedom is not free.”

Another has a sign with “#ReopenNC #Tyranny.”

Raleigh police were on scene – telling the demonstrators they were in violation of the executive order.'

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Even better

He delayed it to do this

https://mobile.twitter.com/danpfeiffer/status/1250232197107216384

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

ah yes, daily trips to whole foods, thats what the common folk enjoy.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

thank god i have direct deposit

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Makes me wonder who's the most recent president who was better than Obama. Carter, maybe? LBJ? The most recent president who I can confidently describe as preferable to Obama is FDR

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Makes me wonder who's the most recent president who was better than Obama. Carter, maybe? LBJ? The most recent president who I can confidently describe as preferable to Obama is FDR

Carter was a better person than Obama but not a better president. I could possibly see arguments being made for LBJ but FDR is unquestionably the best president between Lincoln and now, and honestly has a pretty great case for Best President Ever

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

What an embarrassing, insecure man.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Bush Sr.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I bitched endlessly about Obama and still do because he could have and should have done better, but he was probably the best president since FDR.

DC Murderverse posted:

I could possibly see arguments being made for LBJ

Vietnam alone tanks him.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I bitched endlessly about Obama and still do because he could have and should have done better, but he was probably the best president since FDR.

Glad you're setting the bar so low.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
The whole signature on the check thing. Is there anything Donny can't do to self own?

"Getting money from the government, people will see my name and be grateful! It'll be a slam dunk"

*delays cheques, causing people even more hardship and for them to get even more pissed off*

"Winning!"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Glad you're setting the bar so low.

We're a country that is very deeply invested in grinding the poor into dust and committing war crimes and it would be nice to eventually have a President who isn't.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1250219395781181441

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1250241513499607040

https://twitter.com/joelockhart/status/1250206374941921286

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1250175213905600514

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
reminder that when Mad Magzine (or some other one) sent famous people sub 1$ checks to famous people as a rag, Donnie was the only one that cash them

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
It's America. Change is generational.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

DC Murderverse posted:

Carter was a better person than Obama but not a better president. I could possibly see arguments being made for LBJ but FDR is unquestionably the best president between Lincoln and now, and honestly has a pretty great case for Best President Ever

LBJ was probably one of the best presidents we've ever had on the domestic front, but Vietnam just utterly damns him. That conflict broke the country in ways we still haven't (And may never be able to) recovered from. But man, Medicare and Medicaid, civil rights legislation, the moon... it's hard to imagine some of those accomplishments happening when they did without LBJ pushing for them.

Anyway, I think in the grand scheme of things Obama probably ranks in the top 10-ish or so of Presidents solely for being competent. Didn't do as much as he could have, his signature achievements are underwhelming, but he was mostly scandal-free and his administration was staffed with competent if unexciting people.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

We're a country that is very deeply invested in grinding the poor into dust and committing war crimes and it would be nice to eventually have a President who isn't.

Oh, I wasn't making GBS threads on you and I agree.

Just snarkily ruminating at how lovely our Presidents have been for the past 70 loving years.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

ImpAtom posted:

gently caress poo poo god dammit you’re right FUUUUUCK :negative:

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Eminai posted:

Bush Sr.

Eisenhower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QXjBVC233s

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Eminai posted:

Bush Sr.

The first Bush was mostly competent and less terrible than Reagan in some ways, but he was still a giant rear end in a top hat who caused major problems for his successors in how he handled the collapse of the Soviet Union. The US could have bought a LOT of international goodwill by being generous to the former Soviet Union and providing food and economic relief, but instead we sent over economists who argued for an insane policy of "shock therapy" that involved instant privatization of state industries, a move that A) lead many starving and cold Russians to forever hold animosity towards the United States (Those that lived, anyway :(), and B) lead directly to the rise of the oligarchs that now rule Russia and... you guessed it, Vladimir Putin. Thanks, George.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

He's the perfect aging white guy boomer in this regard.

In a way, the Soviet Union was the worst possible global 'adversary' this culture could have ever had. The USSR absolutely sucked at projecting soft power, but they were quite intimidating in a hard power sense. This allowed an entire two generations of Americans to grow up with the notion that the only reason we eventually became the hegmon was due to the nation state equivalent of taking our collective shirts off and flexing our outsized pecs.

When, in reality... it was a bunch of quantitative analysis dweebs and a dude named Malcolm McClean who in 1957, started putting freight in standard sized boxes.

As a Xennial with Silent/Boomer cusp parents, Trump would be kind of nostalgic in a 'known spaces' sort of way if he and his cohort weren't such malignant carbuncles, dooming people to misery.

The Soviet Union scared the capitalist world into implementing social democracy to avoid communist revolution, so they weren't all bad. It's not a coincidence that when the USSR started to decline and we came into detente, neoliberalism rose into global dominance.
Russia is so much more worse now than it was with the USSR.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 15, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Framing mine.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
My personal rankings of the best post-FDR Presidents:

-Truman
-Obama
-Eisenhower
-LBJ*
-Kennedy
-Clinton
-Ford
-Carter
----- line where president caused irreparable damage to country and/or world
-LBJ*
-Reagan
-Bush Sr
-Nixon
-Bush Jr
-Trump

(eisenhower loses a few points from me mainly because of his employment of the Dulles Brothers, who never saw an opportunity for a coup they didn't like)

*He did so much good... but gently caress, you can't forgive Vietnam.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Doesn't much really matter right now, unless there's an Avenger movie coming up involving all of them that might distract us all away.

In the mean time, just right now I opened a can of cat food for my cat, and it smelled REALLY good (congratulations to the Purina folks!).

She eats well tonight. Beans again for me.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 15, 2020

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

If countries other than the USA count for "suffering irreparable damage" that line shoots to the top of the list.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Truman? Lol

I knew hardly anything about him till recently but that Oliver Stone miniseries absolutely trashes him

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

*He did so much good... but gently caress, you can't forgive Vietnam.

He was also a sex pest.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-Truman

I don't want to start a bomb derail, but man is this begging for a bomb derail

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Truman? Lol

I knew hardly anything about him till recently but that Oliver Stone miniseries absolutely trashes him

Given Oliver Stone is fascist loving scum, that sounds like an endorsement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

----- line where president caused irreparable damage to country and/or world
-Truman
-Obama
-Eisenhower
-LBJ*
-Kennedy