Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

precision posted:

Yeah, you always use the highest Magic Attack of everything equipped and I believe it works the same for Speed and Evasion. Dunno about Critical, that might only apply to the weapon itself

No, I'm pretty sure it's only magic attack that works like that - it's basically just the game switching to the best weapon automatically when you cast spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snake Maze posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's only magic attack that works like that - it's basically just the game switching to the best weapon automatically when you cast spells.

Ah, rats :(

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm just gonna say it: This game's soundtrack is Uematsu tier. It's that good. Yasunori Nishiki is a future legend in this industry. I cannot get over how good the music is. It's one of the best video game soundtracks I've ever heard and I started playing video games on the Atari 2600 in the early 80s.

:emptyquote:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Regalingualius posted:

The two big things that suck about H’aanit are that the capture chances for monsters later in the game are abysmal, and despite being her constant companion throughout all of it, Linde’s usefulness plummets like a rock by the time you start doing Chapter 2s. I do hope that those are both things that get addressed in any future installments.
I don't think the game intends for you to use Linde much outside of breaking shields, especially when NPCs in later provokes have high enough defense that Linde just can't cut through. You're intended to capture monsters and use those. Unfortunately that whole mechanic is a bit under baked which makes it something of a chore.

There's really two problems with H'aanit's ability. The first is that there's no in-game bestiary, so the only way for you to know what monsters do is to attempt to capture them--or look it up in a Wiki. After a while I stumbled on some monsters did single-target 3x multi-hit attacks which was great because in a provoke you use Linde to break shield and then do a fully-boosted monster attack which does 3x boosted damage. Are there better options though? I don't know, no bestiary.

The second problem is that each captured monster has a limited number of uses and there's a limited number of capture slots. So why would you bother using them in a regular fight when Cyrus has better magic-based DPS anyways, and MP is easy to come by?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't think the game intends for you to use Linde much outside of breaking shields, especially when NPCs in later provokes have high enough defense that Linde just can't cut through. You're intended to capture monsters and use those. Unfortunately that whole mechanic is a bit under baked which makes it something of a chore.

There's really two problems with H'aanit's ability. The first is that there's no in-game bestiary, so the only way for you to know what monsters do is to attempt to capture them--or look it up in a Wiki. After a while I stumbled on some monsters did single-target 3x multi-hit attacks which was great because in a provoke you use Linde to break shield and then do a fully-boosted monster attack which does 3x boosted damage. Are there better options though? I don't know, no bestiary.

The second problem is that each captured monster has a limited number of uses and there's a limited number of capture slots. So why would you bother using them in a regular fight when Cyrus has better magic-based DPS anyways, and MP is easy to come by?

Yeah I always saved them for boss fights but because I went into the game completely blind I never knew which monsters were good against anything so eventually just stopped capturing anything.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah I always saved them for boss fights but because I went into the game completely blind I never knew which monsters were good against anything so eventually just stopped capturing anything.

and they are useless in provokes if Linde cant break.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I Capture monsters instead of killing them sometimes to save SP

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Just gonna leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbfluAgc-mE

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Posting new avatar :c00l:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's dope

Finished everything but the postgame, had so many leftover items that I want to start over and try only keeping four characters the whole game cause now I know I can just throw soulstones and jams in literally every fight

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

That's dope

Finished everything but the postgame, had so many leftover items that I want to start over and try only keeping four characters the whole game cause now I know I can just throw soulstones and jams in literally every fight

That's essentially what I did. My party was always Primrose, Cyrus, Ophilia, and whoever's chapter it currently was. It was awesome.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
is there some logic to using nuts? since im going to use all of the characters i assume i should use the nuts on characters that need the stats but apparently everyone just advices people to put them on whoever you like or something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Iretep posted:

is there some logic to using nuts? since im going to use all of the characters i assume i should use the nuts on characters that need the stats but apparently everyone just advices people to put them on whoever you like or something.

Eh not really, since you're only ever locked into one character at a time you can just use your three favourites and power them up while carrying whoever's chapter it is.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
so wait, once ive beaten all the main stories, i dont need to use the othere characters anymore? i was leveling them all just because i assumed id need to use them more after the main story.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Iretep posted:

A little. Basically if you give your magic up nuts to Tressa you can make her into the hardest hitting mage in the game.

Additionally the logic goes that you usually want your offensive nuts to go on your DPS characters, usually Olberic for physical and one of the three casters, Primrose, Tressa or Cyrus.

Defensive nuts usually want to sit on your healers, Cyrus or Ophelia most frequently or on your batteries, so Tressa and Alfyn, so that they're most likely to survive a TPK style attack and either, heal you out of trouble or get someone up with a revive and then use their BP economy to get you back into the fight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Iretep posted:

is there some logic to using nuts?

As in all JRPGs with permanent stat buff items, you use all of them on your preferred waifus or husbandos and nobody else. It's the law

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

With the HP/SP boosting nuts, I used them on characters who needed a little help. With the other stat boost nuts, I used them on characters who were already good at that thing to make them even better at it, Fire Emblem-style.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah just use them however you want. I'm a specializer so I gave the magic nuts to Cyrus and magic defense nuts to Ophilia and all the physical nuts to H'aanit because she is the best girl. Maxed evasion on Primrose then gave the rest to H'aanit for her Provoke fights. Therion and Primrose got speed boosts. Whatever made sense. If someone is already the best at something I want them to be REALLY the best at it.

But there's nothing wrong with shoring up weaknesses on people you think need it.

And once you've beaten everyone's chapter 4 the only thing left is the optional superboss so yeah you'll need all those nuts to do that, along with some level grinding and all the best gear in the game (most of which are side quest rewards).

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Iretep posted:

so wait, once ive beaten all the main stories, i dont need to use the othere characters anymore? i was leveling them all just because i assumed id need to use them more after the main story.

There is some postgame content where you will want everybody levelled up and equipped!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Natural 20 posted:

A little. Basically if you give your magic up nuts to Tressa you can make her into the hardest hitting mage in the game.

Wouldn't this apply to any of the "casters" though.

Also making Tressa a mage means you can't do her broken combo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tressa makes a pretty great mage pre-Runelord because there are a lot of spears with really high magic attack and she can naturally equip them. Scholar Tressa kicks a lot of rear end. Of course Cyrus can do it to if you give him Merchant as a subjob, and once you get Runelord Tressa should be rocking that nonstop.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Harrow posted:

Tressa makes a pretty great mage pre-Runelord because there are a lot of spears with really high magic attack and she can naturally equip them. Scholar Tressa kicks a lot of rear end. Of course Cyrus can do it to if you give him Merchant as a subjob, and once you get Runelord Tressa should be rocking that nonstop.

Really? I'm about to start Chapter 4 and I haven't come across any spears with high magic. The most notable magic weapons I've found are axes (the Lizardking Axe has been permanently on Cyrus ever since the start of Chapter 3) and daggers.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Do the stats cap out at 999 or can they go over and it's not displayed?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Really? I'm about to start Chapter 4 and I haven't come across any spears with high magic. The most notable magic weapons I've found are axes (the Lizardking Axe has been permanently on Cyrus ever since the start of Chapter 3) and daggers.

I think all the spears called "Glaive" have high magic, like the Arcane Glaive (buyable in Atlasdam early on), Magus Glaive (steal in Quarrycrest), Rune Glaive, Elemental Glaive, etc. The Rune Glaive is the big one if you can get to Grandport early and steal it, since it has +363 elemental attack.

There are also some really strong elemental axes and daggers, too.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

feels like the best way not to be underleveled for chapter end boss fights is to seek out all the current chapter locations before trying to do the bosses

either that or Omar is just disproportionally difficult

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

IcePhoenix posted:

Wouldn't this apply to any of the "casters" though.

Also making Tressa a mage means you can't do her broken combo.

No, it's explicitly Tressa that can do the combo. Cyrus and Primose can't.

This has been said a couple of times through the thread over the years but it bears repeating.

There are magic weapons in the game that improve elemental damage. These stack multiplicatively with each other. I believe (and its been a while) they give a 10% boost, so the overall boost from having two equipped is 121%.

They are:

Primeval Bow of Storms; Wind
Tradewinds Spear: Wind
Adamantine Dagger: Dark
Heathcote's Dagger: Fire
Harald's Sword: Fire
Lizardking's Axe: Lightning
Battle-tested Axe: Ice/Lightning
Absolute Zero Staff: Ice
Bishop's Staff: Light

Cyrus and Primrose as a Sorcerer can equip Bows, Staffs and in Primrose's case Daggers. None of these options carry weapons with the same elemental damage bonus.

Tressa is the next most powerful magic user and can achieve 999 magic power with the nuts in the game. Through her baseline Merchant class she gets the Bow and the Spear improving her Wind damage.

So Tressa hits around 11% harder than the next best sorcs in the game (And also has better defenses). Now usually this wouldn't matter, but when your endgame damage is in the hundreds of thousands per turn it really does mean a fair bit.

(In theory I think Therion can also make this work which might be better from the perspective of maintaining the Runelord Tressa combo)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also better from the perspective of Therion being the best character :v:

Natural 20 posted:

No, it's explicitly Tressa that can do the combo. Cyrus and Primose can't.

This has been said a couple of times through the thread over the years but it bears repeating.

There are magic weapons in the game that improve elemental damage. These stack multiplicatively with each other. I believe (and its been a while) they give a 10% boost, so the overall boost from having two equipped is 121%.

They are:

Primeval Bow of Storms; Wind
Tradewinds Spear: Wind
Adamantine Dagger: Dark
Heathcote's Dagger: Fire
Harald's Sword: Fire
Lizardking's Axe: Lightning
Battle-tested Axe: Ice/Lightning
Absolute Zero Staff: Ice
Bishop's Staff: Light

Anyway if the main goal is to get the double element combos while being a sorcerer then Haanit and Alfyn can use the ice axe and staff and Therion (as you implied) can use the fire sword and dagger.

Also not that it particularly matters but Starseer Haanit could stack wind if you wanted to.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 15, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is there any real use for Empoison? It doesn't seem to scale very well with boss HP, and blowing BP on it to extend its duration feels really mediocre compared to what else I could do with BP (break shields, Amputation/Last Stand, subjob). Spending a full turn on it also feels kinda sucky compared to what else Alfyn could do on non-BP turns (Pomegranate Dust, break shields, soulstones).

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is there any real use for Empoison? It doesn't seem to scale very well with boss HP, and blowing BP on it to extend its duration feels really mediocre compared to what else I could do with BP (break shields, Amputation/Last Stand, subjob). Spending a full turn on it also feels kinda sucky compared to what else Alfyn could do on non-BP turns (Pomegranate Dust, break shields, soulstones).

Keeping the boss constantly poisoned was where most of my damage came from when I was fighting the runelord boss 15 levels early.

Iirc some bosses take more damage from poison than others? Alfyn specifically probably has better stuff to do with his time in most situations though, concoct is incredibly strong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My HunTressa used Transcendent Bow of Shadows like the entire last half of the game, I don't even remember where I got it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

precision posted:

My HunTressa used Transcendent Bow of Shadows like the entire last half of the game, I don't even remember where I got it

It's from the snake charmer quest, I just did that one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's mainly useful for the job shrine bosses since those can slog and it'll do around 1.5k damage a tick, though even then you really only want to bother when Alfyn has little else to do, which won't be often in those fights.

Regular enemies will take like 1/6 Max HP damage from poison, while bosses take 1% or so. It works well on mini-bosses that you find in side dungeons that aren't associated with any quests since they'll take the 1/6 or whatever the number is, but most of the time the damage is too trivial to be worth the effort.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

IcePhoenix posted:

Also better from the perspective of Therion being the best character :v:

Anyway if the main goal is to get the double element combos while being a sorcerer then Haanit and Alfyn can use the ice axe and staff and Therion (as you implied) can use the fire sword and dagger.

Also not that it particularly matters but Starseer Haanit could stack wind if you wanted to.

Looking into it, deeper. (And reminding myself why I figured this was specifically viable on Tressa but didn't consider Therion).

Nut effects scale based on the character using the nuts.

Cyrus gets +9.1 M!Atk from a small nut, 18.2 on a medium and 36.4 on a large.

Ophilia, Tressa and Primrose get 8.4 and multiples of that.

Alfyn, Therion and Haanit get 7.

Olberic gets 6.3.

This broadly corresponds to their affinity to magic.

Since Therion and the others start from a lower base magic power and also have lower nut effects they struggle to get to 999 magic. Which means that they lose the benefit of having the bonus elemental damage with lower M!Atk stats.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pure stats don't compare to Olberic shouting out spell taunts with 100% ham.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
im starting to understand why everyone keeps saying to put all nuts on primrose since i cant figure out a good role for her. even as a cleric she seems just medicore.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Iretep posted:

im starting to understand why everyone keeps saying to put all nuts on primrose since i cant figure out a good role for her. even as a cleric she seems just medicore.

Just spam her luck move at 3 BP constantly, the way she was truly meant to be played

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Iretep posted:

I made her the primary spellcaster of my main team (Therion/Alfyn/Prim/Olberic) and it worked pretty well I think. I'm not really sure how optimal it is for the end game though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Primrose as a Scholar/Sorcerer is a housewrecker and that one Dancer skill is basically required for all the most broken strats

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Prim's primary role is to cast Peacock Strut on magic users and evade everything. That's good enough for an entire playthrough.

Oh and she hits dark weaknesses so that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Not a Children posted:

Just spam her luck move at 3 BP constantly, the way she was truly meant to be played

While being affected by Ophilia's double-hit buff. :getin: