Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Xenoborg posted:

Can interrupted power somehow mess up aquatuners? I have a water cooling one with 2 tuners and a 38C sensor going in. So I should never get water colder than 10C. But I keep getting broken pipes. It happens ever on the first of the two though so unless a power cut can cause one batch of water to get triple cooled I'm not sure whats happening.

My guess from looking at that photo is the shutoff valve is set up so when the power is off the water bypasses the shutoff and is immediately fed back into the tuner loop. Your shutoff location/orientation is the point of failure, especially with power outages.

Switch the connections so that the active side of the shutoff is what feeds the tuners so when the power is off or the pipes are full the input flow continues on or is stored in a reservoir and fed back into the shutoff sensor, not directly back into the tuner loop.

Right now, every time the power trips a handful of the previously tuned water stream is dumped back into the tuner loop and cooled again once power is returned. If the power goes off again by the time that double tuned water hits the shutoff it’ll happen repeatedly, getting your water so cold it freezes in the pipes.

This power driven mechanic is the weakness of shutoffs and why you gotta orient the shutoffs or add safeguards (loop, reservoirs) to account for this possibility if you can’t maintain power or ensure the pipes won’t back up to the shutoff.

On a side note not directly related to your tuner problem above, It’s also the big reason why my big central loop in my system is in fact, a loop. If my various storage/feed shutoff valves lose power or I accidentally disable one that fluid just cycles around in the loop forever until I run out of room in the pipes; gives me like 50 cycles to notice and fix it. It also means that the fluid continues moving and everything else on the loop still runs.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
loving zombie spores, man. You can pump a room full of 125kg of chlorine but if there's one tile of carbon dioxide in there they'll happily stay alive. I've resorted to vacuuming the room out into a smaller space and just filling it with tiles until the gas is destroyed.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Shumagorath posted:

loving zombie spores, man. You can pump a room full of 125kg of chlorine but if there's one tile of carbon dioxide in there they'll happily stay alive. I've resorted to vacuuming the room out into a smaller space and just filling it with tiles until the gas is destroyed.

In situations like this, dig out one bottom tile so the CO2 floats into it and is trapped by gravity. Build a tile directly above the CO2 so it can’t move any direction. Then diagonal build in the tile over the CO2 directly. This will destroy the CO2 packet.

This works in any situation you know gravity will make the gasses predictable (up or down), so basically anything but O2/PO2, but even PO2 will only move sideways in a full O2 atmosphere, so you can even do it then with practice.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 12, 2020

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Mazz posted:

My guess from looking at that photo is the shutoff valve is set up so when the power is off the water bypasses the shutoff and is immediately fed back into the tuner loop. Your shutoff location/orientation is the point of failure, especially with power outages.

Switch the connections so that the active side of the shutoff is what feeds the tuners so when the power is off or the pipes are full the input flow continues on or is stored in a reservoir and fed back into the shutoff sensor, not directly back into the tuner loop.

Right now, every time the power trips a handful of the previously tuned water stream is dumped back into the tuner loop and cooled again once power is returned. If the power goes off again by the time that double tuned water hits the shutoff it’ll happen repeatedly, getting your water so cold it freezes in the pipes.

This power driven mechanic is the weakness of shutoffs and why you gotta orient the shutoffs or add safeguards (loop, reservoirs) to account for this possibility if you can’t maintain power or ensure the pipes won’t back up to the shutoff.

On a side note not directly related to your tuner problem above, It’s also the big reason why my big central loop in my system is in fact, a loop. If my various storage/feed shutoff valves lose power or I accidentally disable one that fluid just cycles around in the loop forever until I run out of room in the pipes; gives me like 50 cycles to notice and fix it. It also means that the fluid continues moving and everything else on the loop still runs.

Great point about making the the loop powered in instead of powered out. I flipped the filter and it looks like its working as intended now. A power cut makes a too hot packet leave, but since its going to a big tank thats fine. Ironically I haven't had any problems with my much more complex farming/industry cooling center. I think because of the intermediate coolant tanks averaging things out.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
And I thought my pipes were bad....

How do you have jumbo batteries and large transformers at the same time, and... :psyduck:

Cool aquatuner bank though; wish I'd thought of that one in my last game.

Mazz posted:

In situations like this, dig out one bottom tile so the CO2 floats into it and is trapped by gravity. Build a tile directly above the CO2 so it can’t move any direction. Then diagonal build in the tile over the CO2 directly. This will destroy the CO2 packet.

This works in any situation you know gravity will make the gasses predictable (up or down), so basically anything but O2/PO2, but even PO2 will only move sideways in a full O2 atmosphere, so you can even do it then with practice.
If I go below the room currently being vacuumed out I breach abyssalite into magma. Thankfully with the airlock mod I can crush the air with doors quickly.

All the other sporechids have so far been composted without incident because they were discovered as seeds or trapped in vacuum from nearby enclosed slicksters, and the germs seem to die if you mop up contaminated oil.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 12, 2020

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm transitioning out of mid game, and holy crap, I thought i had an idea what this entails. My two plastic pumps and single metal refiner are nowhere near enough for starting to make space safe.

I see how I messed up layouts, should plan piping better, gather up all that precious pwater, etc.

What is a non crappy way to deal with space? I'm on the left side and I just have a ladder going all the way up, and I'm slowing adding bunker tiles to the top edge. Then I guess I just start a massive dig-off? I'm in exosuits so I don't feel the need to drywall anything yet

The shear scale of industry I need to support me now is insane

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Whats wrong with the jumbo batteries? I added them when I added a bunch of power hungry but short lived recreation items. They make heat, but that's not really a problem anymore. The power loss is ~40W. So it didnt seem worth it to use refined metal.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Before giving up on my last base here's what I did:

1) Set up a source of power and drywall the bottom tiles of the power plant, battery and transformer. I recommend petroleum or natural gas because...
2) Dump some liquid on the ground along that drywall. This is now your coolant. If you're using a generator that produces Pwater you can dump that on the floor and then set it up so that when a new tile forms laterally it evaporates into the void. If you want to get decadent use petroleum instead.
3) Use that initial power source to set up an aquaturbine that will be your cooling loop. The coolant on the floor will conduct heat between your initial machines and that loop until you can start boxing things in and rely on pressurized gas again.

Xenoborg posted:

Whats wrong with the jumbo batteries? I added them when I added a bunch of power hungry but short lived recreation items. They make heat, but that's not really a problem anymore. The power loss is ~40W. So it didnt seem worth it to use refined metal.
Nothing really; my modded SPOM wastes more juice than that even powering all the atmo suit docks. I just avoid big battery boxes now because un-combusted fuel never loses energy.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 13, 2020

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have 6 coal gennys with enough coal for eons, and a hydrogen generator for excess spom off gassing. It's not so much the generation and storage as it's distribution

Power spines were set up, but now with new exosuit docks the rest of the little pumps and whatnot are more then 1kw. Upgraded to large power transformer, and run conductive wire in the near term. All fodder for future planning.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My biggest recommendation is just having one suit dock and a nearby transit tube network to send your guys to the extremes of the map. Suits everywhere got really messy for me and is one of the reasons I don't miss drecko farming despite the advantages.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Nothing really; my modded SPOM wastes more juice than that even powering all the atmo suit docks. I just avoid big battery boxes now because un-combusted fuel never loses energy.

Gotcha, those 12 batteries only represent about 30-45 seconds of power at max load.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Upgraded to 4 plastic pumps because a single tube to my near space area are all my plastic. I'm figuring out power and layout to get dudes working up there

My industry block has a co2 vent right where I would expand of bigger, so I guess I am relocating it a bit and biding it much bigger. Time to start strip mining the rest of the map and maybe start refilling the oil biome up.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm sure this is deep down in the engine, but is there anything to be done about dupes dropping things they're carrying to a given chore the second dinner time is called?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Shumagorath posted:

My biggest recommendation is just having one suit dock and a nearby transit tube network to send your guys to the extremes of the map. Suits everywhere got really messy for me and is one of the reasons I don't miss drecko farming despite the advantages.

There's a few of us in the thread that are big proponents of having suits being the only exit from your living area so that dupes are in suits all day except when sleeping/eating/making GBS threads. I think some people even put them right outside the bedrooms even. Wearing suits all the time with exosuit training just means everyone gets +10 digging, does not exhale CO2 in spaces you don't want it, and is immune to all environmental stress or temp related HP damage. The -6 athletics hit from the suit is removed by suit training. There is literally no downside to suits all the time once they have that training.

It's pretty easy to manage too once you get the hang of it, you just bridge out the O2 to the docks so it's seperated evenly instead of fed in a line and 1 electrolyzer can keep up with the same number of docks as it can dupes, so ~7 if it's running inefficiently and 9 if efficient.

Shumagorath posted:

I'm sure this is deep down in the engine, but is there anything to be done about dupes dropping things they're carrying to a given chore the second dinner time is called?

You may be able to find a mod that changes the priorities so that they finish their tasks, but unfortunately no because the way "the dinner bell" works is that schedule block wipes all work tasks off their priorities list. They literally do not acknowledge the sweep/supply (or any other work task) in their queue anymore, so they just drop that poo poo and run.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 12, 2020

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I found that the suits should charge starting at the one closest to the checkpoint, because that is the one they always take first, and so on, down the line

Because I decided to make a dock for All 15 of my guys, the full o2 line took a long time to charge up the docks, but I did have an emergency airlock on my industry side to allow work to continue, but the air is very unlivable for the most part.

Is there a screen to see total power in vs out? I can do the input math on 6 coal, 3 hydrogen and a Nat gas, but I need to scroll all over to count all the little pumps and things. 3 refineries, an oil refinery, and 4 plastic pumps along with basic base stuff is giving me some power shortages. Also an aquatuner and 3 turbines that will add some variable power later

Also, is there a way to cut out the building overlay? When placing an overhead light for example, I can see the light output because of the fixed tooltip that wants to display.

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 12, 2020

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Shadow0 posted:

I'm still catching up on the thread, but re: liquid locks being exploitive: absolutely not!

They're pretty much mandatory. If the developers didn't intend for them to be in the game, they would have offered better solutions by now. Instead, one of the few things you unlock late game is visco-gel, who's sole purpose is to make liquid locks. So the developers *added* more capacity to do liquid locks.

Also, they are real and used irl. Just inspect your toilet. Does it smell like the sewers it's connected to? No? Thank liquid locks!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5d/Double-trap_siphonic_WC.svg/220px-Double-trap_siphonic_WC.svg.png

I think if something were intended, the mechanic to put them in place would not be so contrived and kludgy.

Use them if you want - it's a video game. But no need to pretend they were expressly intended in the game as designed.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The airlock mod also blocks liquid-to-gas mixing and lets me make this steam chamber technically serviceable if I delete the ceramic tiles to the right of the aquatuner:

Beats having to pump out a kiloton or more of oil. I already went back in to add more tempshift plates.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 13, 2020

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

I think if something were intended, the mechanic to put them in place would not be so contrived and kludgy.

Use them if you want - it's a video game. But no need to pretend they were expressly intended in the game as designed.

Visco-gel is a pretty explicit endorsement of the liquid lock as an intended game mechanic.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Visco-gel is an Easter egg adaptation of what used to be a bug.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You have to build a rocket and a molecular forge to get it. It's part of the game intentionally now.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I never bothered with them as I build, and now I have gas all over the drat place, with. A big vent to space.

A few times and I could have kept everything simple. The only complaint is that is messes up my 4;tile high hallways.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone have a good design for a non-chilled SPOM that can be built relatively early? I'm going to eventually build a proper SPOM with a chiller but I want to get suit docks set up and my understanding is that the temperature of the oxygen you pipe into them doesn't matter.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If the SP part isn’t that important to you, just build a box with an electrolyzer and a gas pump in it and use a gas filter to separate the oxygen and hydrogen.

E: two pumps

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
ugg. Last base just had mass death ,, 17 dupes can;t be fed on 3 ranches of 7 stone hatches apparently :/ I was up to 600k food, but it was fried mushroom , etc and that all ran out when i stopped growing entirely. In retrospect I should have started throwing eggs to omelettes rather then start a crash farm, but, oh well.

i was having fun learning transit tubes and how 4 refineries set to do steel / copper / iron / gold will completely eat thorough tons of it after a couple dozen cycles. .. and 10t of plastic aint poo poo when you build tubes.

Germ sensors, i am done with. Severely poisoned my entire supply, as the sensor kept reading 0 germs despite using output directly from the toilets .. i thought it was due to a bent pipe.. but tried it on the straight section, and no go. Tried using the new automation on the liquid res .. i said i want a green on 100 full then red on 5%, figuring that I want the water to sit in one so cholrine can do its thing, but the automation doesnt work like that, needed a reverse signal, so not gate.... and no go. Ideally i wanted to res with 2 shutoff valves .. the first would fill up until 100%, which would trigger the seconf valve to close, and the first res to pump into the second. When that fills up, reverse and dump the old tank and switch.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Roundboy posted:

17 dupes can;t be fed on 3 ranches of 7 stone hatches apparently

If you're turning the meat into barbeque, you need to kill 4-5 stone hatches every day to keep your dupes fed. ONI Assistant says that's a minimum breeding population of 27.

e: Also, if you figure out what dupe population you can sustain, then you can order excess dupes to go hang out in a dead-end room with a door that has no exit permissions. I like to build an unpowered jukebox in mine. The surviving dupes will be unhappy for three cycles, then they'll get over it.

quote:

Germ sensors, i am done with.

This is a "did you remember to plug it in?" type question, but were you using a "germ sensor" from the automation buildings tab or a "liquid pipe germ sensor" from the plumbing buildings tab? The former detects germs in the atmosphere.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 15, 2020

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I finally made my first petrol boiler, woo! It's a mix of 2 designes I've seen, so simpler than John Francis, no autominer needed!

Steam room is kept >700 degrees just by using a timer circuit (1 second open, 25s closed) and the temperature sensor (plus another AND gate to a manual switch just for controlling the startup). There is a second sensor in the steam chamber wired to the water inlet from the original design that is supposed to limit the upper temperature, but pulsing the magma input seems to work better, and should be more magma-efficient. The magma cools in the mesh, transferring most of the heat diagonally to diamond shift plates, then drops hot rocks into the puddle of molten lead/aluminium (which really helps transfer the heat to the steel crucible).
If I was doing it again, I'd make the lava drop a few tiles bigger so the heater block was further from the top of the output run, as this thing is just too drat efficient. I don't have the generators to use all this petrol yet, so it sits idle and heats up the top row enough to start boiling the oil in the pipes.

Edit: The other reason for this design is if the magma builds up over time, I can add a steam room/turbine on the left and start drawing extra heat out for power. Once I get space materials, then a version with an autosweeper inside to pick up the cool (700 degree) rocks and extract even more heat, but that might be going a bit far.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 15, 2020

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

drat, cooling magma inside of mesh tiles so it teleports into an adjacent room when it solidifies is some frightful black magic that never occurred to me.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I was just reworking my own petrol boiler design, I had a similar change in separating the heater block from the first row. I found it worked very well, couldn't get any failures after I did that.

Nice job on the volcano management, I find it is a hard source of heat to work with. Obviously more heat than needed so gives a lot of room for future addons.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Thanks, tho if I was doing it again, I would make the magma door lie flat with a 1-tile wide tube for the magma to drop through. There's some untidiness when the door closes in the current one, but i was pushed for vertical space cos I accidentally built my metal refinery right below this before I found it.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So, I now have a whole bunch of heat to use, and I'm at the stage where I have too much mixed up water in too many places. Would it be mad to make a steam turbine chamber that uses a 200 degree petroleum feed (from my crucible, just add another heating block&door system) and then pump in whatever dirty/germy water to be insta-boiled, and then take the pure water condensed steam from the turbines as the output, cooling it with an aquatuner that is also in the steam box? A volcano powered super-sieve/power plant.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Water has twice the heat capacity of petroleum so you will need either a faster flow or higher heat than 200°C, possibly much higher if it's polluted or salty. Just use the petroleum energy to run some pumps and filters.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Hello Sailor posted:

If you're turning the meat into barbeque, you need to kill 4-5 stone hatches every day to keep your dupes fed. ONI Assistant says that's a minimum breeding population of 27.

This is a "did you remember to plug it in?" type question, but were you using a "germ sensor" from the automation buildings tab or a "liquid pipe germ sensor" from the plumbing buildings tab? The former detects germs in the atmosphere.

I had 21 hatches, 3 eggs going to powered incubators and every other egg went to.a drowning chamber. I was playing with automation to move eggs and meat but it looks like it was taking too long to turn those eggs to meet naturally

And yes, I might have used the atmo germ sensor, that would account for my zero reading. drat it

Either way I might go back to an earlier safe and restart farming, I put on a Nat gas grille to help use some excess, and I realized I needed a lot of stuff I stopped making. My industry was cooled like a champ, and power was doing well.

What is the deal with auto sweepers,? If any part of the object touches the squares, it counts? So in the 9 tile wide box I have 4 coal plants @3 wide each, so if I shift them over one is only covered in the last third, giving room for two recepticals. I can then add 4 more on the other side?.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Roundboy posted:

I had 21 hatches, 3 eggs going to powered incubators and every other egg went to.a drowning chamber. I was playing with automation to move eggs and meat but it looks like it was taking too long to turn those eggs to meet naturally

And yes, I might have used the atmo germ sensor, that would account for my zero reading. drat it

Either way I might go back to an earlier safe and restart farming, I put on a Nat gas grille to help use some excess, and I realized I needed a lot of stuff I stopped making. My industry was cooled like a champ, and power was doing well.

What is the deal with auto sweepers,? If any part of the object touches the squares, it counts? So in the 9 tile wide box I have 4 coal plants @3 wide each, so if I shift them over one is only covered in the last third, giving room for two recepticals. I can then add 4 more on the other side?.

The middle tile of the coat plant has to be in range. So you'll only get 3 per sweeper. Or at least that's the way it used to work.

Also this will help you figure out the food situation

https://oni-assistant.com/tools/foodcalculator

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
ok, thought it was too good to be true. But then again power and metal are non issues, so, a row of sweepers and receptacles is fine

And i noticed that pips can plant in farm tiles? I have old abandoned tiles next to natural tiles next to the printer, and i let some pips run wild after printing... now i see my farm tiles have all kids of stuff in them. This is much cooler now i dont have to keep natural tiles around... farm / hydroponic in a pip area with arbor seeds seem nice. unless natural tiles eliminate the water need?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Okay so I always get to this part of the game and then get analysis paralysis because all the things that I could do next seem like they involve long supply chains and complex automation chains. What should I do next?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Roundboy posted:

And i noticed that pips can plant in farm tiles? I have old abandoned tiles next to natural tiles next to the printer, and i let some pips run wild after printing... now i see my farm tiles have all kids of stuff in them. This is much cooler now i dont have to keep natural tiles around... farm / hydroponic in a pip area with arbor seeds seem nice. unless natural tiles eliminate the water need?

This is pretty cool and I'll give it a try when my current base gets up to that point.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jinnigan posted:

Okay so I always get to this part of the game and then get analysis paralysis because all the things that I could do next seem like they involve long supply chains and complex automation chains. What should I do next?

Airlock your way into that natural gas geyser at 8 o'clock and use that steam vent at 7 as SPOM input.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 15, 2020

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Pips planting in farm tiles is the same as dupes doing it. They will need their regular fertilization.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Ew, no then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Is there a design post/doc I can look at for a SPOM Mk III?