Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

For what it's worth they continued the story in a bunch of comics nobody read (same with Buffy) and scanning the plot summaries she gets restored by some magical time reset shenanigans but has to share a body with Illyria. Also Wesley becomes a ghost but just kind of disappears at the end of an arc.
I think that was based off of the loosest sketches they made for Season 6 before being canceled, where they allegedly had plans to bring back Fred/merge her with Illyria. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Promoted Pawn posted:

I mean the whole concept of the superpower starts with throwing out fundamental laws of physics so it’s probably correct to just get weird with it and explain as little as possible.

Which I get, it's that they will also bring in the laws of physics as it suits them. So someone throwing a punch at super speed does huge damage because kinetic energy equals mass times velocity squared.

Or in Ant-Man (which I did enjoy) where they go out of their way to say the number of atoms is the same, they are only reducing the space in between. Which means the guy is carrying around the mass of a tank on his keychain.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yes, but the tank is really tiny

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That tank single-handedly launched YouTube careers for "critics" who "break" movies with "facts and logic."

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

That tank single-handedly launched YouTube careers for "critics" who "break" movies with "facts and logic."

Pretty sure those guys have existed since the advent of artistic expression.

Welcome Thag's channel. Today I say many reason Grog total hack. Grog paint mammoth on cave wall, but real mammoth not made charcoal! Is like Grog never even see mammoth! Furthermore...

Like and subscribe.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The music in the Batman and Superman cartoons was excellent. Justice League was worse and then JLU was a further downgrade.

JL/JLU also relied more 3D/CG work and that's aged worse than the 2D stuff.

The CGI definitely isn't great, but at least the overall animation quality was much better and less digital-looking in JLU compared to regular JL. Overall I think JLU is kind of the apex of that whole universe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I think that was based off of the loosest sketches they made for Season 6 before being canceled, where they allegedly had plans to bring back Fred/merge her with Illyria. Who knows.

It seems like the kind of thing they would do. Their season six plan also involved having Seth Green in a recurring role as Oz, which would have been just as he was just blowing up and so probably wouldn't have happened, but it would have been interesting to watch. I think they always planned to have LA be consumed by hell-on-Earth for at least part of the season, too.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hard counter posted:

you wouldn't want henry cavill running around naked because air drag vaporized his suit would you

It periodically happens to Goku.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hard counter posted:

you wouldn't want henry cavill running around naked because air drag vaporized his suit would you

Is this a trick question?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It seems like the kind of thing they would do. Their season six plan also involved having Seth Green in a recurring role as Oz, which would have been just as he was just blowing up and so probably wouldn't have happened, but it would have been interesting to watch. I think they always planned to have LA be consumed by hell-on-Earth for at least part of the season, too.
Oh I agree it would have been really cool and a lot of what got reworked into "After the Fall" was genuinely good, way better than the "Buffy Season 8" comics, I just don't think they had as firm a plan as they claim. The idea of bring Seth Green back in 2005 seems... half-baked, and the story goes that the show was cancelled about midway into Season 5 when Whedon threw a tantrum ultimatum to the network head and made them power-flex, so again I can't imagine they had Season 6 that well-sketched yet.

Sir Lemming posted:

The CGI definitely isn't great, but at least the overall animation quality was much better and less digital-looking in JLU compared to regular JL. Overall I think JLU is kind of the apex of that whole universe.
The soundtracks definitely don't slap. That noodle guitar really hurts the show. Plus the half-hour restriction for episodes definitely compressed some of the storytelling in a bad way, even if we did get more varied episodes as a result.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

jjack229 posted:

Which I get, it's that they will also bring in the laws of physics as it suits them. So someone throwing a punch at super speed does huge damage because kinetic energy equals mass times velocity squared.

excuse me, KE equals half the mass times velocity squared :byodood:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

hard counter posted:

excuse me, KE equals half the mass times velocity squared :byodood:

:negative:

I was going to write "proportional to velocity squared", because that's all that matters in this case, but then figured I should write the whole thing out. Turns out I haven't used that equation in a long time.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I don't think there's a "video game intros that aged a bit too well" thread, so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beYDa8B82tA

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

jjack229 posted:

Or in Ant-Man (which I did enjoy) where they go out of their way to say the number of atoms is the same, they are only reducing the space in between. Which means the guy is carrying around the mass of a tank on his keychain.

Shouldn’t it also make his giant form about as strong as one of those inflatable tube men?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

Shouldn’t it also make his giant form about as strong as one of those inflatable tube men?

Pym Particles.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
goddamn superheroes are just rear end

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pym Particles.

Everyone needs a Speed Force

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think the problem with movies like Ant-Man is that they try to explain things and look smart and that's what gets people thinking about how bad movies can be about following their own logic.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

verbal enema posted:

goddamn superheroes are just rear end

some of them are also titties

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Superhero movies have always worked because they realised they're perfect excuses to cast handsome buff dudes who have shirtless scenes. The MCU took that a step further with emotional vulnerability and homeroticism.

rodbeard posted:

I think the problem with movies like Ant-Man is that they try to explain things and look smart and that's what gets people thinking about how bad movies can be about following their own logic.

The best kind of exposition sounds smart and is immediately accepted by everyone in-universe but makes zero sense on the slightest thought.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Samuringa posted:

some of them are also titties

oh then hell yeah

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

rodbeard posted:

They don't really though. They give one offhand line about the space between atoms and add "quantum" to everything, move on a quickly as possible, and the rest-- "don't go subatomic" stuff is just narrative tablesetting. No they don't make even the slightest lick of sense, and on the other hand things riding a flying ant, a cookie tin full of tiny cars that can become full vehicles, and a building getting wheeled around like a suit of luggage are fun setpieces.

What kind-of jaded self-impressed loser does someone have to be to think the "explanations" are a sincere attempt to placate the pedants?

You don't have to like that stuff or think it's charming-- I absolutely get why MCU stuff can be cloying and just not be someone's "thing," but it's not hard to see the appeal either.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Superhero movies have always worked because they realised they're perfect excuses to cast handsome buff dudes who have shirtless scenes. The MCU took that a step further with emotional vulnerability and homeroticism.
Not before 2002 they weren't, although yeah the emotional vulnerability and homoeroticism was always there because well, yeah it's always been there.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
superheroes are just modern myths. the speed force makes as much sense as Achilles being invulnerable, except for his ankles cause his mom held him under water.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mister No posted:

superheroes are just modern myths. the speed force makes as much sense as Achilles being invulnerable, except for his ankles cause his mom held him under water.

:cmon:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

mind the walrus posted:

Not before 2002 they weren't, although yeah the emotional vulnerability and homoeroticism was always there because well, yeah it's always been there.

what are the pre-2002 superhero movies where the hero wasn't considered buff by the standards of the time in which it was made?

although lol at anyone thinking the MCU originated the homoeroticism. batman & robin was so homoerotic it literally turned me queer irl

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Point, though Batman seems almost like cheating.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My mom held me underwater and all I got was a few months staying with my grandparents.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

InediblePenguin posted:

what are the pre-2002 superhero movies where the hero wasn't considered buff by the standards of the time in which it was made?
Keaton and Clooney (and to a lesser extent Kilmer) as Batman.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

although lol at anyone thinking the MCU originated the homoeroticism. batman & robin was so homoerotic it literally turned me queer irl

Clooney straight up said that he played Batman as gay.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s too bad we got Thin Kilmer for Batman. The alternative would have been way better

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Keaton and Clooney (and to a lesser extent Kilmer) as Batman.

ah yeah see i was thinking "they still made the suit buff" but the original post specified the actor being buff and having shirtless scenes, objection sustained

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

christmas boots posted:

It’s too bad we got Thin Kilmer for Batman. The alternative would have been way better

Fatman?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"If I could just... reach... my utility belt!"

"But they haven't tied you up yet!"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

InediblePenguin posted:

Blank Man

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Eh! Frank posted:

Also hell yeah, Gotham is so silly and amazing, it's the perfect encapsulation of what "Batman" is.

Well, I'm interested in Gotham - how well did it age?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

weed cat posted:

It ended maybe a year or so ago, and the setting itself has that sorta modern but timelessless to it.

The first season is a bit shakey because the show is trying to find it's footing. It kinda wants to be an adaptation of Gotham Central. But near the end it figures it out, realizes most people watch it for the villains, and becomes a fun time.

It's basically Batman '66 but made with modern tv sensibilities.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

weed cat posted:

It only finished last year, so it's a bit soon to answer that.

It was fantastic though. You just have to bear with it for the first few episodes until it finds its feet.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

by episode 3 or 4 the villain of the week is a guy who murders corrupt politicians by handcuffing them to weather balloons

gotham gets nuts real quick

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's basically Batman '66 but made with modern tv sensibilities.

You've got my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In one season, there's a Costco but for criminals.