Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

VideoGames posted:

It is wild how pathetic Keir Starmer is. What an amazing leader.

Can't wait for him to pack his cabinet and machinery full of people who literally sabotaged the party at the last two elections, that's for sure. Rebuilding trust in the labour party by filling it with serial crooks and traitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Drone_Fragger posted:

Can't wait for him to pack his cabinet and machinery full of people who literally sabotaged the party at the last two elections, that's for sure. Rebuilding trust in the labour party by filling it with serial crooks and traitors.

excuse me this sounds like dangerous factionalism to me and that's exactly what Keir stands against now his faction is in charge

guardian live blog posted:

During his interview round this morning Sir Keir Starmer, the new Labour leader, was also asked about his decision to order a review into the leak of an internal Labour report compiled when Jeremy Corbyn was leader looking at how the party handled complaints. The internal report highlighted factionalism in the party, and the extent to which some party staff opposed what Corbyn was doing.

Here are two of the main points.

Starmer said he was “shocked” by the contents of the report and by “the circumstance in which it all came about”.

He insisted that Labour had to reject factionalism. He told the Today programme:

We absolutely have to turn our back on factionalism and that was the whole basis of my leadership campaign.

He refused to commit to expelling people from the party for undermining Corbyn. Asked on Sky News if he would commit to getting rid of people who were actively working against his predecessor, Starmer replied:

I’m not going to pre-empt the outcome of this investigation. I’ve set it up. I want it to be speedy. And I’ll obviously look at the result when we get it.

The internal report runs to 860 pages. Sienna Rodgers at LabourList has a very thorough summary of it here.

he must have been really shocked, stunned into total silence by the full weight of the allegations in the report... until some fucker leaked it and he had to actually say something

also absolutely pathetic that he won't commit to kicking someone out if they're found to have betrayed the leader of the party (and thus the whole loving party that he's now in charge of). immediate suspensions are absolutely warranted based just on the basis of some of the WhatsApps and how can you not just commit to expelling anyone who has sabotaged your party?

it's loving useless decorum "I couldn't possibly comment on the endemic racism, bullying and disloyalty that we have clear evidence of whilst investigations are ongoing" poo poo and he is not going to make people less pissed off

e: also I don't know if it's sublimed hostility from his garbage reaction to this, but his bit about how we have to know the exit strategy now is starting to grate on me. Like it is important, but the crisis still hasn't really reached a head and he should be focusing on more immediately important issues (like PPE and ventilators and doctors and nurses dieing) that he can make a fuss about and maybe get the government to do something now.

one good point he raised was about the gap in the quality of the homeschooling that children will be receiving, but imho the way to deal with that is not to rush us all back to work it's to try and corral some relatively cohesive homeschooling/web learning stuff together rather than having it all done ad hoc by a million different people. especially as we're quite likely to go back into shutdown a couple of times based on the apparent strategy

XMNN fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 15, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

VideoGames posted:

why the gently caress is he focusing on an exit strategy who thinks this is a good idea except for toby young like ffs why is piers morgan basically the only person talking about this poo poo

https://twitter.com/TheMendozaWoman/status/1250348248419590144?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Guav I know you can spot a bad-faith slippery slope argument, even when you're the one making it.

Maybe just take the low-hanging fruit, avoid the glaringly evil purchases, and do it often enough that it becomes unconscious practice? I'm not saying shun the person who has to buy Rolos to ~*practice self care*~ , just be an adult who is at least interested in the broader context of your consumer choices
I don't think there is a slippery slope when it comes to chocolate though, there's a walled paling with African people's heads on it. Even the 'Fair Trade' organizations have been caught out engaging in exploitative worker practices, and when called out have usually gone into some Walter Block style "well a lovely job is better than no job" rhetoric.

I've cut down the amount of chocolate in general I consume over the past decade, but I honestly don't know if I've boycotted Nestle because that big diagram with the brands keeps shifting year upon year. Every single one of those top 6/10/12 companies has been involved in seriously awful poo poo though, and smaller companies are often forced into taking funding from institutions involved in seriously awful poo poo in order to remain competitive with them.

It's honestly hard to keep up with which one has been funding death squads this year, and there's no direct way to fund Marxist militias to counterbalance that because the banks keep calling that 'terrorism financing' when we do it, which is very unfair.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean my job has entirely convinced me that the impact of my consumer choices is jack and poo poo because I know for a fact there is a great and terrible industrial engine which is highly adept at manufacturing whatever choice the commercial giants want out of their consumers. But if you want a sense of consumer responsibility then oh boy do we have the commodified illusion of ethical consumption to sell you and it's buy one get one free.
Also this. Production creates the consumer, and production has been keen to say "Oh, you're against HorrorShow? Maybe try HorrorShow Lite, we give a hand to the Congo for every two we take!"

quote:

The exemplary figures of evil today are not ordinary consumers who pollute the environment and live in a violent world of disintegrating social links, but those who, while fully engaged in creating conditions for such universal devastation and pollution, buy their way out of their own activity, living in gated communities, eating organic food, taking holidays in wildlife preserves, and so on.

OwlFancier posted:

I think my recent favourite was the bottled water one where they sell you extra recyclable bottles and tell you how good you are for doing it as opposed to drinking it out of the tap.
Even with tap water, the water around here is poo poo (and half the pipes are corroded lead) but you can feel good by buying a fully recyclable Brita filter, with an electronic gauge to tell you when you need to fit another one to keep up your £30 a pack filter payments.

Or you can fit one of those big cylindrical fish tank filters to a separate tap, which lasts for 6 months and costs a tenner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because he's a massive lib OP.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Best ever chocolate+orange product was chocolate and orange shreddies. When the workers seize the means of cereal production and i rise up the ranks of the revolution through betrayal and intrigue restarting that product line will be my #1 priority.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

enough of this pussilanimous tot, Keir Starmer must put on the mask and become Fear Starmer, scourge of the Tory

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The night my parents were murdered, that was when I decided that I must commission an indepedent investigation to confirm whether or not I really did see them shot in front of me and it would be inappropriate to pre-empt the outcome of that investigation by becoming the bat man. Once the investigation runs its course we will commission a focus group to determine whether my becoming the bat man would be a popular course of action.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

XMNN posted:

also absolutely pathetic that he won't commit to kicking someone out if they're found to have betrayed the leader of the party (and thus the whole loving party that he's now in charge of). immediate suspensions are absolutely warranted based just on the basis of some of the WhatsApps and how can you not just commit to expelling anyone who has sabotaged your party?

The argument of the Labour right is that Corbyn was sabotaging the Party with his unelectability. They thus had to take steps to ensure that he didn't get elected by accident.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

enough of this pussilanimous tot, Keir Starmer must put on the mask and become Fear Starmer, scourge of the Tory
This is 29 Acacia Road, and this is Keir, lawyer who leads an amazing double life.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Keir Starmer is an apologetic bag of raw sausage meat and the sword of Damocles is hanging over my membership card

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Even with tap water, the water around here is poo poo (and half the pipes are corroded lead) but you can feel good by buying a fully recyclable Brita filter, with an electronic gauge to tell you when you need to fit another one to keep up your £30 a pack filter payments.

Lol, my housemate has one of those. The filters last a pathetically short time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why do I have to live in a world where I'm on the same side of an argument as Piers loving Morgan.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Filboid Studge posted:

the sword of Damocles is hanging over my membership card

weird thing to name your cock but I won't kinkshame

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't do cum tributes on your membership card because the gloss paper isn't that resiliant.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I’ve never really listened to kier talk before but on the radio I thought it was David Cameron speaking? Never seen them in the same room either

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
What if you have it laminated?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

I’ve never really listened to kier talk before but on the radio I thought it was David Cameron speaking? Never seen them in the same room either

Keir, for all his faults, is a smart person. Cameron isn't.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
David Cameron hosed a pig in the front end, where all the teeth are. As a smart person...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

VideoGames posted:

lol & imagine if you'd voted for him & felt no remorse

Tesseraction posted:

Keir, for all his faults, is a smart person. Cameron isn't.

That can't be true, Cameron's parents bought him a very expensive education therefore he is very clever indeed.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

VideoGames posted:

Yeah but he's the sort of leader that the liberal media class feel comfy with and can imagine inviting to their dinner parties, unlike that scruffy, unsettling Corbyn bloke.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

I've cancelled my Labour membership. I just cannot get past the backstabbing of us members that worked hard to deliver a Labour government in 2017, while being paid out of our subs. It's too much of a betrayal for me to get over. A 'trot' (that slur also cuts deep) leaving is probably what these wankers want, but more importantly it's also what I want.

Another poster said something about these people being a university clique and they were right. Bullying, arrogant, careerist and entitled. I get that politics is ruthless, so hopefully the left can learn from this if their time ever comes again - purge the right wing. Johnson did it to tory moderates and got what he wanted. The same rules apply for everyone else.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I have an intense dislike for Piers Morgan but that was good, would like to see more of that.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how am i still getting you’ve been involved in a car accident scam calls it’s a global pandemic lockdown at least switch to something about covid

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This is something I have been thinking long and hard about. When you say stay in Labour to help fix this. How? Is it just by voting? It seems as though people in charge want to do what they want to do regardless of how we feel. How do you prevent the people in charge from doing this stuff when they are in charge. How does staying part of it lead to anything when they could quite easily just disappear any votes I have made? They are also in power now. Do we have to wait for a weird opportunity like the one Corbyn got? Do we even have the time to wait for this? I would just like to understand how.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Drone_Fragger posted:

*chokes* no you can’t do this!! You can’t!!!!! Communism bad!!!!!!!

I don't think lidl is a great example, a lot of their own brands are garbage. Now aldi on the other hand...

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

bump_fn posted:

how am i still getting you’ve been involved in a car accident scam calls it’s a global pandemic lockdown at least switch to something about covid

Yesterday I got an email from TESC0 saying I'd won a £100 voucher to spend this COVID season. I admire they're ability to keep their mailouts up to date tbh

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Dog Pipes posted:

I get that politics is ruthless, so hopefully the left can learn from this if their time ever comes again - purge the right wing.

I wasn't going to say anything more on what I think about people leaving the party at this crucial juncture, but FFS, don't tell us what we need to 'learn' when you're announcing you won't help us do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VideoGames posted:

This is something I have been thinking long and hard about. When you say stay in Labour to help fix this. How? Is it just by voting? It seems as though people in charge want to do what they want to do regardless of how we feel. How do you prevent the people in charge from doing this stuff when they are in charge. How does staying part of it lead to anything when they could quite easily just disappear any votes I have made? They are also in power now. Do we have to wait for a weird opportunity like the one Corbyn got? Do we even have the time to wait for this? I would just like to understand how.
The NEC are better than they were in 2017. That's my hope for change. Also be loud and call the leadership out.

Getting involved with your CLP to send furious letters is also an option.

Yes the man who is now the public face of the Labour Party is Sam Sausagemeat LLB, but the party is far more than that.

bump_fn posted:

You may be entitled to a Coronavirus refund.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

it does feel appropriate that when the rank-and-file members of the left-wing party have a dispute with the senior management of their party, those members take action by withdrawing their labour

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

VideoGames posted:

How? Is it just by voting?

Slate voting is important but so is finding like minded comrades, helping them keep up their spirits, and plotting to take over every single position of power you can grab. Don't let the right have all the councillorships, don't let them be your conference delegates or secretary, because they will stitch you up.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

bump_fn posted:

I've been getting invites to some dodgy conference for months, every time I block a domain there's a new one, and they were still sending them out as of a couple of weeks ago lol

although it was allegedly going to take place in the Netherlands, and they're also on team stupid so I suppose there's a possibility they would have let a scam conference go ahead (although I don't know if the scam conference business model actually involves hosting a physical event?)

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Oh dear me posted:

I wasn't going to say anything more on what I think about people leaving the party at this crucial juncture, but FFS, don't tell us what we need to 'learn' when you're announcing you won't help us do.

Fair comment. My decision is personal to me though, not everyone will feel the same. I just cannot see anything changing.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I worked Quality Assurance in the fresh produce industry for 11 years - the machine operative really does just stop the machine and change the packaging when switching between supermarkets.

Nothing else is changed.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

bump_fn posted:

I get robot calls in Chinese multiple times a month, I'm generally curious if they have switched to a Covid related scam or not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VideoGames posted:

They need to either get rid of the membership vote, or they need some way to prevent anyone from the left from being nominated again. Both, I think, are opportunities to radicalize the membership, because otherwise I think if they keep up their current route they're going to keep on losing to a decent left wing candidate if they get on the ballot.

The idea of leaving the party hinges on some kind of "outside organizing" which, we presume, is easier than organizing within the party. Despite the party being where the majority of the UK left are and also the single largest way for them to talk to each other. I would suggest, therefore, that if you are able to organize "outside" the party it should be much easier to organize within it to force it left again. Threaten campaign and vote strikes at the CLP level if they try to block the left further. Attempt to coordinate with decent MPs to build their profile for future leadership elections, organize at the CLP level to condemn the leadership when they gently caress up, even if all that does is delegitmize the party, the alternative requries you to do that anyway if you're planning on supplanting them?

There is no credible vehicle to political reform that does not involve the electoral system at some point, the UK isn't getting an extraparliamentary revolution barring the total collapse of society. The only option you've got is forcing the party left, the UK left outside the labour party has been dead for decades, it doesn't get stronger when the party is controlled by lovely liberals.

The argument really hinges on the fact that you've got nothing else. If you leave the party they're still in charge of it, they're still going to be the dominant alternative force in UK politics, they might even win an election, and then you'll still be giving them your money only this time it'll be in taxes. You can't escape them by opting out, because you can't opt out of society.

Even if your goal is to replace the party you'll only do that if you get as many people as possible to leave with you and to understand the necessity, and that means sticking with them and helping them see the leadership gently caress up. And I think if you can do that it's much easier to convince them to vote better than it is to convince them to create the capacity for a society-wide revolutionary political movement that doesn't involve elections.

They control the unions, they control the press, they control the party apparatus, there is nowhere to run, no place free of them except inside your own head, and unless you're Yuri you can't achieve communism from there, at some point we have to stand and fight.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 15, 2020

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
What in the name of jays flute is going on that Piers loving Morgan is the guy actually bringing up objective reality in support of the health service?
I'm in full cognitive dissonance here.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

HidaO-Win posted:

What in the name of jays flute is going on that Piers loving Morgan is the guy actually bringing up objective reality in support of the health service?
I'm in full cognitive dissonance here.

he’s nothing but a populist banging a drum. and right now the health service as a concept is popular with the general public, even people who’d normally not give a poo poo and vote to cut it.
as soon as the crisis subsides he’ll go back to never mentioning any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Asda brand lager, at least when I was told this fifteen years ago, is Fosters. Spar brand lager, at least in Scotland, is Tennants.

It makes perfect sense really because there obviously isn’t an Asda or a Spar brewery so they have to get it from somewhere. I mean they’re poo poo lagers but if you have to drink poo poo lager you might as well get it cheaper