Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CapnAndy posted:

Nah. If you're not doing Medieval Eugenics, you're playing CK2 wrong.

It just seems really hard. Most women with desirable traits live way out theres or have incompatible religions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Eimi posted:

It makes me wonder if there will be an adoption mechanic. Perhaps as one of many varying succession types you could adopt. Though that might be too gamey but if you had to adopt an ai raised heir that might make it more interesting given how much control you have over heirs you raise yourself.

Pretty sure they’ve said no adoption at launch.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ilitarist posted:

I remember devs saying those are vanity projects. As in you can use those money to build a new castle and max it out which will result in a big army and income. Some wonders have unique bonuses and opportunities, mostly through additional buildings - like brewery allows you to send beer to people which is separate from gift. Torture chambers allow intimidating people. Private chambers allow secret dealings with people like seducing - you can even seduce your own spouse! Wonders themselves mostly just give prestige and piety. Certainly not an optimal use of your money. But why do you care about optimal in a game where you're supposed to seduce the Pope.

I think the great walls wonder that upgrades all holding's walls in the province to max level is quite good, especially if you have a lot of your own castles in that county. You can leapfrog tech requirements with that, too.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I have 25 hours in CKII and I gotta say I still haven't got the hang of intrigue and expanding. No one with usable titles want to marry me, and my high-stewardship marshal can't fabricate claims to save his own life.

Norse is way easier, but still means a lot of lost wars on the way to ascension.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tias posted:

I have 25 hours in CKII and I gotta say I still haven't got the hang of intrigue and expanding. No one with usable titles want to marry me, and my high-stewardship marshal can't fabricate claims to save his own life.

Norse is way easier, but still means a lot of lost wars on the way to ascension.

Expanding doesn’t require all that, just a spare title within your realm. If you have a title come up that you’re looking to get rid of (let’s say the previous owner just so happened to be a traitor, who knew), is you identify some land that you want. Say it’s another county. Check the line of succession and figure out who has a claim. Invite them to your court. Give them the county under you. Now press their claim.

This will make the new land fall under your rule since the claimant was already your vassal. Now that it’s in your realm, you simply come up with a reason to repossess the title (wow, turns out that guy I invited was also a traitor, WHO KNEW?!) and you can then do whatever you want with the new titles. Including repeat the process!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Although that doesn't work if the guy you invited is equal rank to you (a duke handing a title to another duke will just have him go "Okay thanks" and run off with your county)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tias posted:

If you're appointing a Marshal with high Stewardship and then expecting him to do the Chancellor's job, yes, you definitely haven't got the hang of CK2 yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tias posted:

If you absolutely have to get someone to act against their best interests, well, that's what buying favors is for.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
as a catholic, instead of playing the marriage or fake title game, try bribing the pope into letting you attack someone. the pope likes money

Tias
May 25, 2008

This is all excellent advice, thanks!

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Tias posted:

If you start small, angle shooting your way into a marriage that gives you good claims is hard. Once you’ve got multiple counties under control that avenue opens up more.

The best way to get claims early, and really the only reliable way, is to have your chancellor fabricate a claim for you.

Then you expand a bit and the marriage ties will open up further too, since you have more holdings and prestige

Catholics can get strong claims granted by the pope, which is real strong and always worth keeping an eye on.

In the religion menu you can browse a list of places he will let you claim given your current piety/opinion. Good for late game when you’ve got an army you’re itching to put to use.

But generally if you’ve got a neighbor you want to invade and they have a heretic ruler he’s happy to let you have at it

Pope also really does not like women rulers, children rulers, and rulers with short reigns and will let you take their stuff if you ask

So keep an eye out for ruler changes (or tenuous lines of inheritance) near you and make a request as soon as rulership transfers and he’s much more likely to let you play ball

In Christianity it’s actually helpful is a heresy pops up around you, the pope will give you permission to fight everyone. Also holy wars become a valid CB.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You can also have a look at the current line of succession to the title you're interested in by hovering over its shield. Just in case, say, the current holder and all three of his sons should accidentally fall onto a series of knives and result in the title falling to a 2-year-old.

Tias
May 25, 2008

megane posted:

You can also have a look at the current line of succession to the title you're interested in by hovering over its shield. Just in case, say, the current holder and all three of his sons should accidentally fall onto a series of knives and result in the title falling to a 2-year-old.

Still, that child will keep it, along with their guardian or steward, right?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

You can press weaks claims on a woman or someone under stewardship.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

megane posted:

- excerpt from Keeping Merchant Republic Court by Megane “the butcher”, c. 1080 AD

Tias
May 25, 2008

Try as I might, no one wants to join my court if they're in line for a territory I want. Most of them are also in direct family (siblings or cousins) and hold council posts for the ruler, which naturally makes them more loyal to that court than mine.

Also, I can't see any areas in the religion tab that the pope will let me invade. Does that mean I need to butter him up more?

Tias fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 16, 2020

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can you buy a favor with someone and use the favor to force them into your court?

I forget which dlc favors are a part of, so you might not have it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

Try as I might, no one wants to join my court if they're in line for a territory I want. Most of them are also in direct family (siblings or cousins) and hold council posts for the ruler, which naturally makes them more loyal to that court than mine.

Also, I can't see any areas in the religion tab that the pope will let me invade. Does that mean I need to butter him up more?

Usually it's a good idea to dedicate either your court chaplain or your chancellor to butter up the pope. The Chancellor can do it with the "Improve Diplomatic Relations" job, and the Court Chaplain can do it with the "Improve Religions Relations" job. With either of these you deploy them to Rome to do it. You can even have both doing it at once to speed things up, although it's usually just best to have the Chaplain do it, since they don't often have anything better to do and the Chancellor is better spent fabricating claims. The main thing to get the Pope to grant you a claim on territory is that he likes you more than the current owner, so you really need to make him like you a lot, and for some people he just won't give you the option because he likes them too much no matter what you do.

The main thing about going after claims in CK2 is that it's usually about pursuing multiple things at once. Any one way of getting claims is never going to be that reliable, but if you're going for 4 or 5 things, one of them is bound to pay off.

Captain Beans posted:

Can you buy a favor with someone and use the favor to force them into your court?

I forget which dlc favors are a part of, so you might not have it.

You can do this, although there are restrictions on being able to use it (if they're married, on the council, or a close relative to their liege, you can't use a favour to force them to join your court)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The Pope always very minorly hates me. In the single digit minus range. Maybe +5 with new popes. They’re always too expensive to bribe, so I’ve never tried to get anything out of them.

Didn’t know you could use chaplains to improve that relationship. I usually have my chaplain working on cultural tech.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
If the pope is old as heck you can try buttering up the next guy in line - can’t sway the pope but you can sway the random cardinals. And you need megabucks to buy the popes favor but bishops are cheap.

He also universally likes virtues and dislikes sins so joining the bland Benedictine/Dominican societies will end up making you very appealing to any pope

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 16, 2020

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tias posted:

It's not super helpful advice, but mouseover their "No" and find out why they don't want to join. Some issues are fixable with the correct application of gold and/or knives.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

He also universally likes virtues and dislikes sins so joining the bland Benedictine/Dominican societies will end up making you very appealing to any pope
I'm going to make a blanket statement: There is no good reason to ever not join the Benedictines or whatever extremely thin reskin your religion got. They're disgustingly overpowered.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Squinky v2.0 posted:

If the pope is old as heck you can try buttering up the next guy in line - can’t sway the pope but you can sway the random cardinals. And you need megabucks to buy the popes favor but bishops are cheap.

There's also the option of trying to get one of your own guys into the college of cardinals, and later on made Pope, although this is something of a long game. If you donate any amount of gold to their campaign on the college of cardinals screen, and they get selected, they get a +30 "Supported Cardinal Election" bonus towards you for 80 years. It's normally hard to get your realm priests made into cardinals if you're small, but if their favorability is close to whoever is currently in first, you can give them a +100 boost by just plopping them in Rome as your Court Chaplain. Then it's just a matter of helping them become Pope by killing off all the competition (be careful about trying to assassinate the Pope himself - it can speed things up but if you fail and get discovered it will tank his relations with you and you might end up getting excommunicated).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's also the option of trying to get one of your own guys into the college of cardinals, and later on made Pope, although this is something of a long game. If you donate any amount of gold to their campaign on the college of cardinals screen, and they get selected, they get a +30 "Supported Cardinal Election" bonus towards you for 80 years. It's normally hard to get your realm priests made into cardinals if you're small, but if their favorability is close to whoever is currently in first, you can give them a +100 boost by just plopping them in Rome as your Court Chaplain. Then it's just a matter of helping them become Pope by killing off all the competition (be careful about trying to assassinate the Pope himself - it can speed things up but if you fail and get discovered it will tank his relations with you and you might end up getting excommunicated).

I recall one memorable occasion where I saw one of my Cardinals was first in line to succeed the Papacy. I assassinated the Pope to install him before opinion shifted and the freshly crowned Pope Ungrateful I promptly excommunicated me for it. (So I stabbed that fucker too and made an antipope instead.)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Jedit posted:

I recall one memorable occasion where I saw one of my Cardinals was first in line to succeed the Papacy. I assassinated the Pope to install him before opinion shifted and the freshly crowned Pope Ungrateful I promptly excommunicated me for it. (So I stabbed that fucker too and made an antipope instead.)

This is one of the most CK2 statements I have seen in my entire life.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Okay, I got in good with the pope (bought Monks and Mystics and took the Dominican vows), and now I see what you mean, I can get more claims than I can shake a bunch of pikemen at.

Next problem: How to get enough troops? I racked up ratings for them all, but am told various laws on city/feudal levies put up to 40% maluses on troop numbers, and there are long waiting periods between being able to enact laws - I have built all the troop buildings I can afford, and still have to splurge on mercenaries to get by.

Josef bugman posted:

Goes well with Holy Fury, too!

Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury (So I stabbed that fucker too and made an antipope instead.)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

You will always have to splurge on mercenaries until you are at Empire or better level. It's not big and it's not clever, but throwing money at things can work.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

You will always have to splurge on mercenaries until you are at Empire or better level. It's not big and it's not clever, but throwing money at things can work.

In that case, how do I get money without placing the next 9 generations in debt to jewish lenders? How much can you ask the pope for?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tias posted:

In that case, how do I get money without placing the next 9 generations in debt to jewish lenders? How much can you ask the pope for?

Go in debt the moneylenders is a great idea actually!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

I didn't gently caress an immediate family member or a horse at any point, so you know that isn't true.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

Being in debt to the jews isn't a big deal really. They are extremely patient creditors. The Christian priesthood opinion penalty is pretty ignorable, so the only real penalty for being in debt is that you can't take another loan. There's no compounding interest or anything so no matter how long it takes you to pay back it will always cost the same amount.

One word of warning about mercenaries: don't spend all your gold on the initial hiring cost because they come in at 0 morale and can take at least a month to get up to full. Usually a good rule of thumb is if you just took out a 300 gold loan to pay for them, don't spend more than 150 gold on hiring mercs.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 16, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The other key to having lots of troops is to have a big, rich demesne and a high martial score. If you're an independent duke-or-above, things you hold in your capital county get a large bonus to levy size, and your entire capital duchy gets a smaller bonus, so build up your capital and try to personally own all of the land in its duchy. Sticking your marshal to train troops in the capital stacks multiplicatively with this, I believe. If you've got the money and demense cap for it, a second/third castle in your capital county also gets the full capital bonus, so that can be a worthwhile investment.

I was playing as Barcelona recently and got a child of destiny queen with 44 martial, and ran into a problem: she kept getting pregnant. Every time she went into regency for a month to give birth, her astronomical skills would be replaced by those of her worthless regent, and my personal levies would drop from 13,000 to 3,000. And then they have to rebuild at the normal rate. I lost dozens of times more troops to that regent than I did to conquering Iberia.

megane fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 16, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

My game got really samey for a bit, and still kind of is in how my rulers work out. I'll have a ruler take over in late regency or right at 16 and they'll tidy up, get everybody to like them, and have a 30-40 year reign. I rarely have anyone live past 60. After the 55-60 yr old ruler dies, they have a 35-40 yr old failson take over. This dude inevitably gets revolted on, but because my previous ruler was so successful and I've had good luck with Crusades lately, I have a big stack of gold to mercenary my way out of the rebellion. Failson ruler either dies in the rebellion or shortly after, then his young child/young adult heir takes over. Rinse, repeat.

My last failson got imprisoned by one of his own goddamn vassals. Became King while in prison, and luckily the guy let me ransom myself out.

Anyway, I found a goal that's very achievable. I should be able to create the Wendish Empire with another 1-2 long-term rulers. My last long-term ruler took almost the remainder of Poland and a bit of Lithuania. Aside from one fairly large Christian Kingdom where I have no claims, the rest of the de jure empire counties are in pagan territory, so I can holy war the poo poo out of them. They are a hodge podge of pagan types too, so even if the whole religion comes after me it's not a big deal.

This is much more fun than trying to chip away at Germany. I cannot for the life of me ever seem to have a really good stats ruler. I keep trying to marry people with Genius traits and other good stuff, but I always end up with a mediocre ruler having to train myself up to Marshal 8 each time.

I'm in 1208, so I have over 200 years to get this done.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 18, 2020

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If your children perenially suck, I cannot stress enough how overpowered monastic orders are. The immediate Rank 0 bonus is that you're a much better educator and will get random events that just hand stat points to your children pretty frequently. Plus, there are other events that just give you Virtues, and at Rank 2 you can give a Virtue to anyone you're close with once every ten years. Keep at it and you can have a Patient or Diligent newborn who just stacks up the bonuses.

Also you might want to switch to Elective? It's not as pleasantly simple as Primogeniture, but its advantage is that you can choose your heir, so if your third child is the talented one or you want to just skip a generation and hand power off to your grandkids, those are both valid options.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I don't have whatever DLC lets you do monastic orders.

I may give Elective succession a try as soon as I have an Empire. My problem usually isn't that a second or third in line is that much better, it's more that all my kids just tend to be meh. Nobody really setting themself apart. If they do have one really good stat, it's usually learning. I've had an awful run where the last like 3 rulers have had terrible diplomacy and intrigue. The guy that just came in though is okay.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don't have whatever DLC lets you do monastic orders.

I may give Elective succession a try as soon as I have an Empire.

No, do it just before you have an empire. Otherwise you will have to wait ten years under your current succession law, and then also have to deal with maluses from every ambitious next-level vassal in the realm because they want a better title. If you switch your primary title succession law before you create the empire then it will be grandfathered into the empire from day 1.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So restarting my run as Aegon the Conqueror in the Game of Thrones mod, and things are going much better. Started off picking a fight with the Stormlands, Argilac quickly met death by dragon. Declared next on the Ironmen. Harren survived by the AI's ability to teleport their armies out of deadly harm when they feel like it, but still gave up eventually. Around this point the Lannisters and Vale just preemptively gave up without a fight.

And...I adopted a cat.

Nothing can go wrong here :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If anyone wants to know what holding 116 simultaneous titles looks like:

So yeah, that invasion worked out okay.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
have fun sorting that poo poo out lol

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I've only played the game about 4 hours now and I don't know what I'm doing and I think I'm loving it. I mean, I get the basic game mechanics and a general idea of what's going on. But there are so many people and I have no idea who any of them are, but I'm having to make decisions for them. I also can't ever remember any of the terminology.

I started in Ireland with one area of land, and after three tries, managed to invade and take over a neighboring area so I'm ruling it now. Then one of my vassals encouraged me to press claims on another area nearby so I did that and won. But instead of me becoming the ruler of that area, the vassal became queen. I got a notification I could press claims on the area again (I think with a different vassal) by going to war with that new queen, but that seems pointless.

My guy's sister married the King of Scotland and it seems like he wants to be buds now.

I also keep getting an event where a farmer on my land and his neighbor are arguing over pigs, it keeps popping up and I'm not sure why. But I end up either getting the Just trait or a bit of gold each time so it's not a problem, just odd that I keep getting it.

edit: I also got an achievement for killing a vassal bishop that likes the pope more than me, but I don't remember doing that.

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

CapnAndy posted:

If anyone wants to know what holding 116 simultaneous titles looks like:

So yeah, that invasion worked out okay.

Delegate handing out titles, lets see how hosed you can get.