Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

StrixNebulosa posted:

My favorite thing about AC Origins/Odyssey is that they are fully-featured open-world RPGs. Mind you, not much in the way of dialogue choices, but you level up, find cool loot, do quests, and explore a massive world and really get into your character and it's really good! The actual plots are pretty good too - Bayek's quest to get revenge on the people who killed his son is emotionally gripping, and Kassandra is a force of chaos moving through Greece.

Which is to say, someday I'll play the older ACs, but they're very different games with different focuses on plot/gameplay/everything. This has upset one of my friends, as he misses when the games were more realistic and not RPGs.

I'm just getting to Alexandria proper and I'm all about murderin the people who killed his son. I liked AssCreed 2 but if they'd started with this gameplay system, I think I'd have played them all by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Which is to say, someday I'll play the older ACs, but they're very different games with different focuses on plot/gameplay/everything. This has upset one of my friends, as he misses when the games were more realistic and not RPGs.
Chalk me down as another one of those, I guess. I wouldn't say I miss when the games were more "realistic," because it's not like they ever were, but they provided a very specific kind of gameplay that no other series did in quite the same way. Origins and Odyssey are just a completely different kind of game altogether. It's like if someone turned the Hitman series into an open-world RPG - certainly an interesting idea in its own right, but not exactly what I play Hitman games for.

Then again, I suppose they have made so many of them at this point that the concept is really just kind of used up.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

I might be about to make an irresponsible purchase

Steam Thread 2020: I might be about to make an irresponsible purchase

(current title is also great)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

My favorite thing about AC Origins/Odyssey is that they are fully-featured open-world RPGs. Mind you, not much in the way of dialogue choices, but you level up, find cool loot, do quests, and explore a massive world and really get into your character and it's really good! The actual plots are pretty good too - Bayek's quest to get revenge on the people who killed his son is emotionally gripping, and Kassandra is a force of chaos moving through Greece.

If they just kept shanking a dude from stealth=instant kill no matter what they’d be perfect. The system for stealth kills now is a bit rear end. I still like the games, but it really fucks with how I play.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay did some googling and phew: PySolFC is a free alternative to SolSuite and it has mahjongg, hanafuda, and a billion solitaire games. And it's fully customizeable and stuff too! Gonna play some spider now. :D

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Shouts out to Clubhouse Games for the Nintendo DS.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

The RPG stuff is definitely my least favorite part of the series. It totally fucks with the combat and overall flow of the game, not to mention that the loot itself is really boring. Oh great, my new hat gives me +10% bow damage and +4% assassin damage, weeee

I miss the old combat where u can take on 10+ badguys at once while looking stylish as hell, an arrow to the head is always lethal, and stabbing someone with the hidden blade will always kill. Now, all combat feels 10 times as arduous as it should be and i look like a scrub swinging wildly the whole time.

I understand that Ubisoft is just as compelled to put rpg loot in their games as players are to see number go up so i hope going forward, they find a better way to balance it so their assassin protagonists dont feel like theyre fighting with wet noodles

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I hate leveling up in games now. Pretty much every game is built around what you'll be doing at max level with max level abilities. All time spent reaching that point is just padding.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If they just kept shanking a dude from stealth=instant kill no matter what they’d be perfect. The system for stealth kills now is a bit rear end. I still like the games, but it really fucks with how I play.

I can see why that's annoying and it did bother me to begin with, but I actually kind of like it? It just makes it a bit more interesting to stealth through when you have to treat the stronger enemies differently by working around them and using your other tools (which the game provides plenty of) rather than just killing everything in one hit in order of proximity. I do think there are a few places where they balanced it wrong (mostly on actual assasination targets and leaders) but for common enemies and fights it encourages a wider variety of gameplay and makes it far less repetitive, which is very important given that my playtime was 83 hours for Origins and 140 for Odyssey and it only started to drag right in the last few hours of Odyssey.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't know. Honestly, without the leveling up, I wouldn't find most games that feature character development interesting to play at all anymore. That little sense of reward every time you get better at something or become able to do something new tends to be the only thing that keeps me going through a lot of those open world games. Starting at maximum level just means I get to do everyone right from the beginning and from there it's just repetition for the rest of the game, with nothing new or interesting waiting for me, gameplay wise.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I hate leveling up in games now. Pretty much every game is built around what you'll be doing at max level with max level abilities. All time spent reaching that point is just padding.

I don't think I've encountered many games that don't scale up the size/complexity/difficulty of encounters are you unlock new abilities. Going back to the earlier levels in Doom: Eternal with all the weapons and abilities unlocked trivializes everything.

My brain is probably stiffening with age so I appreciate a gradual ramp-up over giving me everything at once as long as the developers keep things interesting along the way.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 15, 2020

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

As someone who a few months started playing the ACs in order (I'm through I, II and brotherhood) The first is definitely the weakest, but it's still functional and much shorter and less sprawling than the other two. If you don't own it you shouldn't buy it, but if you have it it's worth checking it out as an intro to the rough elements of the gameplay and the story. I understand why people say to skip it but, as long as you don't get sucked into trying to chase the worthless collectibles (the game thankfully makes it very easy to ignore even for a completionist like me) or insist on clearing side missions you don't need, it's a pretty breezy game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As a fan of Fallout 4 and as someone who does think the game's world is pretty and would be fun to trudge through, I should theoretically be a perfect mark for Fallout 76. But everything around the edges is either janky or poorly conceived or both and the whole thing turns me off. I don't want a sloppy Fallout MMO/live service game. I just want more Fallout.

Like maybe this only makes sense to me, but a change that feels emblematic of F76 is how bobble heads are no longer permanent stat upgrades but instead inexplicably consumable boosts that last a long but ultimately finite amount of time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I suspect the weapon damage scaling is there to give a choice from different weapons and playstyles; it would be a lot harder to make different fighting styles under the original combat system.

Non-1HKO assassinations suck, though. It's not like there ever was any difficulty to the games so being overpowered doesn't really factor into it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 15, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay did some googling and phew: PySolFC is a free alternative to SolSuite and it has mahjongg, hanafuda, and a billion solitaire games. And it's fully customizeable and stuff too! Gonna play some spider now. :D

Thank you for this! The music is banging

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know. Honestly, without the leveling up, I wouldn't find most games that feature character development interesting to play at all anymore. That little sense of reward every time you get better at something or become able to do something new tends to be the only thing that keeps me going through a lot of those open world games. Starting at maximum level just means I get to do everyone right from the beginning and from there it's just repetition for the rest of the game, with nothing new or interesting waiting for me, gameplay wise.

I mean, I feel like this would only be true if the game itself were poorly designed. If the combat is fun, its fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, I feel like this would only be true if the game itself were poorly designed. If the combat is fun, its fun.
I think this one of those things were there's a meaningful difference between "good" and "fun to you personally." I'm not the kind of person who's heavily into fighting games or beat-em-ups, as a rule. You could hand me the best Tekken style fighting game in the world and I wouldn't enjoy it, because I just don't like repeating the same basic thing over and over - and yes, I know it doesn't feel that way to everyone, but it does to me. Once I feel like I've seen everything unique that a game has to offer, my interest tends to bottom out immediately. Asscreed as a series always worked for me because of the variety of tools and approaches to various situations that you can take and because it keeps drip-feeding you new equipment and abilities throughout most of the game. Leveling and gaining new skills is just a different implementation of that, in my view.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I think this one of those things were there's a meaningful difference between "good" and "fun to you personally."

balderdash

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

What about multiplayer games?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

I think this one of those things were there's a meaningful difference between "good" and "fun to you personally." I'm not the kind of person who's heavily into fighting games or beat-em-ups, as a rule. You could hand me the best Tekken style fighting game in the world and I wouldn't enjoy it, because I just don't like repeating the same basic thing over and over - and yes, I know it doesn't feel that way to everyone, but it does to me. Once I feel like I've seen everything unique that a game has to offer, my interest tends to bottom out immediately. Asscreed as a series always worked for me because of the variety of tools and approaches to various situations that you can take and because it keeps drip-feeding you new equipment and abilities throughout most of the game. Leveling and gaining new skills is just a different implementation of that, in my view.

Theres a big difference between rpg loot leveling up where u get +2% health and holy damage or whatever through level ups and loot and gear/gadget progression where new mechanics are introduced via story milestones or what have you. I vastly prefer the latter because those introduce meaningful game and strategy changes while the former is just skinner box bs to me

A great example of those differences is old style AC vs new style AC. In older AC games, u constantly unlocked new gear and skills as u went through the game. At the same time, new enemies were introduced that would be immune or resistant to old strategies, thus pushing u to use ur new tools.

In the new AC games, getting new weapons/armor unlock next to no new meaningful gameplay changes. There arent even new gadgets to unlock. The only way the game changes up is with the skills. Some r cool and give u tactical options but most work like mmo skills where u just spam them off cooldown to grind through the enormous health pool that some enemies have

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What about multiplayer games?
Depends. I like co-op in with a sense of progression, like Minecraft-style building games or ARPGs. I never could really get into the multiplayer shooters and such. The Borderlands series was fine, but I didn't do the endgame NG+ grind there either. It's why I think that it's really more a matter of genre preferences than level systems being a bad thing intrinsically.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Theres a big difference between rpg loot leveling up where u get +2% health and holy damage or whatever through level ups and loot and gear/gadget progression where new mechanics are introduced via story milestones or what have you. I vastly prefer the latter because those introduce meaningful game and strategy changes while the former is just skinner box bs to me
I don't disagree. It's why I find Odyssey/Origins pretty unsatisfying in that sense. You plateau out your ability tree pretty early compared to the overall length of the game.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 15, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Shiny number going up feels good in my brain.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1250458562574209027
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1250464007623856128

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Insta buy p5r. I actually just put it on my ps store cart a few days ago but didn't check out.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't disagree. It's why I find Odyssey/Origins pretty unsatisfying in that sense. You plateau out your ability tree pretty early compared to the overall length of the game.

I think this is why I bounced off Sekiro. I was on-board at Souls-like but when I heard you couldn't find new gear and stuff, I lost interest.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Skill trees in video games need to die

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I think this is why I bounced off Sekiro. I was on-board at Souls-like but when I heard you couldn't find new gear and stuff, I lost interest.
There are new tools to find, though.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

A great example of those differences is old style AC vs new style AC. In older AC games, u constantly unlocked new gear and skills as u went through the game. At the same time, new enemies were introduced that would be immune or resistant to old strategies, thus pushing u to use ur new tools.

In the new AC games, getting new weapons/armor unlock next to no new meaningful gameplay changes. There arent even new gadgets to unlock. The only way the game changes up is with the skills. Some r cool and give u tactical options but most work like mmo skills where u just spam them off cooldown to grind through the enormous health pool that some enemies have

Both types are cool, imo. Number go up is entertaining, even if it's cheap entertainment. Not if it's the only thing but if it's something you can actually work with then it's at worst a harmless addition.

Also, you're kind of right for Origins but you've got Odyssey wrong. I'm not going to claim it's the most exciting stuff in the world but you can get some pretty hefty bonuses added up across the normal gear if you build towards a specific goal, which can become really significant if you tailor your build to crit, DoT or a specific skill line, and some of the legendary weapon abilities are absolutely worth building around when you find them. Even in Origins, the armour upgrades are boring but the weapon things absolutely affect playstyle.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

anilEhilated posted:

There are new tools to find, though.

I think it was just a mindset thing. I went in expecting it to be more Souls than it was, and it affected my expectations. One of my favorite parts about Souls games is finding secret areas with pieces of armor and weapons in them, even if I don't end up using them. The fact that they were hidden, they are potentially useful (for a certain type of build) and I found them is the criteria that makes my brain happy

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can't take any leak that has a Persona 5 port on it seriously, I think it's like the number-one requested game for that and there's never been a real peep about it actually getting one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it was just a mindset thing. I went in expecting it to be more Souls than it was, and it affected my expectations. One of my favorite parts about Souls games is finding secret areas with pieces of armor and weapons in them, even if I don't end up using them. The fact that they were hidden, they are potentially useful (for a certain type of build) and I found them is the criteria that makes my brain happy
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I found the skill and ninja tool progression satisfying enough to stick with the game, but that sense of exploration and being rewarded for it with something cool and unique is something that Sekiro didn't do as well as Souls games do.

Justin_Brett posted:

I can't take any leak that has a Persona 5 port on it seriously, I think it's like the number-one requested game for that and there's never been a real peep about it actually getting one.
It wouldn't be a surprise if it eventually gets one either, though. Persona 3 and 4 did and they sold well, so they don't have much reason to stop now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Those were ports to other Sony systems.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Those were ports to other Sony systems.
Sorry, I read that as mobile port for some reason, never mind then.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

don't care about either of those personally, but cool. please port God of War/Uncharted/TLOU/Spider-Man too, Sony

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1250472586888318976

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

"+2% health" randomized loot is only good for ARPGs where dozens of items are dropping in every zone. When it takes 15 minutes to do a quest like in AC Origins, and your reward is the same sword you already have but with +3% damage from stealth, that just feels like poo poo. It's doubly stupid in Origins because you can pay gold to upgrade the gear with good mods anyway, so once you've found a good yellow bow you're basically set on bows for the whole game.

I'm still enjoying Origins because exploring the map is fun, but the loot system sucks.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The dollar tier rules just on the Darkness II and Pirates! alone.

Darkness II and Spec Ops: The Line are both definitely worth $1 if you haven't played them yet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That is a cruel, cruel joke.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

Darkness II and Spec Ops: The Line are both definitely worth $1 if you haven't played them yet.
Speaking of, anyone want a key for Spec Ops? I've got an extra now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bayek's rage is breathtaking to behold