Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Michigan protest

Cops killed jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I was arguing on other social media about whether it's good or bad to stop oil prices from falling and realized I can't say that my real opinion is that oil industry executives should be put up against a wall and machine-gunned so here's to you guys. :poland:

Actually I ran out of liquor last week.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Love to drive around with a sign that appears to say "Drunk. White Power!"

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Lemming posted:

Joe Biden doesn't seem to be a particularly corrupt shithead, he's just your average boring corrupt shithead that everyone hates and it's part of the reason for his abysmal enthusiasm gap, and it's bad

I can't find it with a couple quick googles, but there was an article not too long ago with a title along the lines of "Biden is the most honest corrupt politican"

It argued that Joe Biden is corrupted in that he's heavily influenced by pharma, insurance, financial industry etc lobbies but he's "honest" in that he hasn't really benefitted personally. He famously had a low net worth (lowest in the Senate??) and took the train to DC.

He's "owned" by all the big corporate interests that most establishment/moderate Dems tend to be friendly with. However, he's unusual in that he doesn't appear to have personal financial entanglements with them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

for people outside new york whose only real knowledge of bill de blasio is "well isn't he pretty liberal he can't be that bad" the litany of fuckups on his part can't be summarized in less than half an hour, so I will use just this one example: after finally having his arm twisted into demanding social distancing and announcing that it was being implemented tomorrow, what did that loving moron do? he went to the gym because it was going to be closed tomorrow by his order so obviously he wanted to go that day instead of, say, remember he'd just had to order everything shut down and that he should be doing that himself and leading by example

hes not as bad as trump but he's about as incompetent as normal politicians come. he ran for president not because he thought he could win, but because it was an excuse to stay out of new york city for a while.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Fritz the Horse posted:

I can't find it with a couple quick googles, but there was an article not too long ago with a title along the lines of "Biden is the most honest corrupt politican"

It argued that Joe Biden is corrupted in that he's heavily influenced by pharma, insurance, financial industry etc lobbies but he's "honest" in that he hasn't really benefitted personally. He famously had a low net worth (lowest in the Senate??) and took the train to DC.

He's "owned" by all the big corporate interests that most establishment/moderate Dems tend to be friendly with. However, he's unusual in that he doesn't appear to have personal financial entanglements with them.

Except for getting his failson cushy jobs at Ukrainian oil companies, I guess.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It's adorable seeing people posting about Joe Biden's extremely progressive agenda and how he's going to give us all healthcare, make it easier to declare bankruptcy, forgive student debt, cut emissions, and all the rest of it. Joe Biden is the candidate who's bankrolled and supported by the billionaire donors and party insiders and corporate media who have united behind him precisely to stop all those things from happening. He opposes all those things. The whole point of his candidacy is to prevent them from happening. People talking about his Very Serious Policy Proposals do not understand how political power works in this country, and are extremely gullible.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mat Cauthon posted:

He wouldn't have made it to those schools without his father's influence and anyone who popped hot on a piss test in the military and wasn't the son of Senator would've gone to jail.

It's pretty laughable that you think this is the only reason and not the general way of most rich or well connected shits.

Hell, he probably got on some of those boards because he had a potential lead on a nose-candy supplier and you can never have enough of those for the board investigations at resorts.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Umm... okay? You're the one making an absolute statement. You having seen it happen does not prove that it happens every time, me seeing it not happen countless times does prove that it doesn't happen every time.

That's because mycrimes.txt is for the most part a figment of your imagination. The world runs on personal relationships, and well-connected children climb the ladder because they have personal relationships with people who's word carries weight if the recommend them. "Substituting the reputation of one person for their friend or families reputation" is just a goony as gently caress way of describing how an endorsement works. If someone you know and trust tells you that someone they know would be a good candidate for a position literally every person in the loving world would favor that person over a stranger because you're substituting the person you trust's reputation for that candidate (which is normal as gently caress because how much you trust the reccomendation is how much you trust the person making it).

Until you fundamentally change how humans think and interact with each other children of rich, prominent people will always have a major advantage by nature of the fact they have relationships and visibility with rich, prominent people that know their parents. This is why networking is a thing.

yeah but there's two ways recommendations can work, right

one way is that I know a guy, he's a great engineer or accountant or clerk or whatever, and my boss is looking for someone and I say "hey I know a guy who is real good give him a chance". Yeah there's someone out there just as qualified that I don't know, so it's an "unfair" advantage, but also it might cost my boss more time and money to find and evaluate that person, whereas here he's already got an endorsement for someone he trusts to evaluate people

another way is that I go golfing with my fellow CEO buddy and I say "hey my fuckup kid is a real embarrassment, I'd take it as a personal favor if you invented a position for him to keep him busy and make sure his lifestyle isn't driving him into collections"

most people think the second is corrupt and unfair, and the first is not so much. Now you can defend the second by saying "well it happens all the time anyway" but maybe we should hold our public servants to slightly higher ethical standards than scumbag bankers?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

It's adorable seeing people posting about Joe Biden's extremely progressive agenda and how he's going to give us all healthcare, make it easier to declare bankruptcy, forgive student debt, cut emissions, and all the rest of it. Joe Biden is the candidate who's bankrolled and supported by the billionaire donors and party insiders and corporate media who have united behind him precisely to stop all those things from happening. He opposes all those things. The whole point of his candidacy is to prevent them from happening. People talking about his Very Serious Policy Proposals do not understand how political power works in this country, and are extremely gullible.

:hmmyes:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

That's not evidence.

You're trying to argue that corruption doesn't exist as long as it doesn't turn people into mindless servants. Burisma can get advantages by hiring a well-connected official's kid without getting literally anything they could possibly want thereby.

The fact one party in in a corruption allegation is working in the direct opposite interests of the other party is in fact evidence they are not working together.

VitalSigns posted:

Hunter Biden was the only person in the world who could bring an outside perspective?

Come on man you don't really believe this do you? You can believe whatever you want if you're motivated enough, the problem is that the public isn't going to buy this thin sophistry.

Fortunately for Democrats, Trump has hosed up so bad that a potato could likely win by default in November, so I guess it doesn't matter this year, but it's a problem and we should hold our politicians to higher ethical standards. If nothing else for the pragmatic reason that voters aren't interested in renting time at the LHC to split this quantum-scale hair

Wow those goal posts are on loving rocket skates. You've gone from "Hunter Biden was totally unqualified and could only get this position through corruption" to "he's not literally the only person in the world who'd be appropriate for the position so.... corruption!"

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Pussy Boss posted:

Your brain is broken. Hope this helps.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

I am convinced the media will make a stink about it because it's only OK if Republicans do it, because no one expects them to have morals.

The only response from the Biden campaign should be to just lean into it. "At least he was qualified and he could do some good there. My family knows Amtrak. I took Amtrak every day for 30 years as a Senator. Unlike Trump getting his trust-fund kid Ivanka and his spoiled son-in-law Jared senior positions in the White House. Those two aren't qualified to run a lemondade stand and he made them "Senior Advisors to the President! Its malarky."

The biggest lesson people should learn from 2016 is that the modern electorate hates being deceived and treated like fools who can be manipulated more than they hate shady/unethical behavior. Joe-idiot-six-pack in Wisconsin voted for Obama , but then Trump over Clinton because "Clinton is a liar, manipulator, and untrustworthy. At least Trump is honest about his lies." Everyone knows Trump is lying, so they don't feel like he is putting anything over on them. Clinton made them feel stupid, or reminded them of a woman in a position of power who once made them feel stupid.

Everyone knows Biden got his son a job. And most people would do the same thing. Even if he actually didn't, no one is ever going to believe that. And now hes "just another lying politician." So gently caress it. Lean in to it. Act like "Diamond Joe" from The Onion.

edit- i can't spell today apparently

Grayly Squirrel fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 15, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

yeah but there's two ways recommendations can work, right

one way is that I know a guy, he's a great engineer or accountant or clerk or whatever, and my boss is looking for someone and I say "hey I know a guy who is real good give him a chance". Yeah there's someone out there just as qualified that I don't know, so it's an "unfair" advantage, but also it might cost my boss more time and money to find and evaluate that person, whereas here he's already got an endorsement for someone he trusts to evaluate people

another way is that I go golfing with my fellow CEO buddy and I say "hey my fuckup kid is a real embarrassment, I'd take it as a personal favor if you invented a position for him to keep him busy and make sure his lifestyle isn't driving him into collections"

most people think the second is corrupt and unfair, and the first is not so much. Now you can defend the second by saying "well it happens all the time anyway" but maybe we should hold our public servants to slightly higher ethical standards than scumbag bankers?

We are talking about the first one and you are claiming it's the second with zero supporting evidence

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Michigan protest

Pastor'd!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

i have an interest in avoiding allowing brazenly false republican smears to become accepted wisdom. most times yeah, a politician's son getting a board seat appointment is sketchy. it's just in this one specific situation we have evidence about as strong as you can get that whatever sketchiness was involved (probably a lot) it was not sketchiness on the part of the politician. as your rick scott thing keeps alluding to: look at who benefits. burisma certainly did not benefit from joe biden's actions with regard to burisma.

Joe Biden not doing everything they may have wished he would do is not the same as connections with the vice president not being beneficial in any way. Burisima obviously thought it was beneficial because they were paying $80k/month for it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

A big flaming stink posted:

wait really

god dammit we're never going to get a spring league :smith:

Plus in the bankruptcy filing turns out WWE owned almost 25% of the league after Vince McMahon said repeatedly that they were totally separate companies and WWE was not involved at all. I'm not a scientist so I don't know if that's illegal, obviously even if it is nothing will happen.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Majorian posted:

But like I said a couple posts ago, only non-Republicans view it as a bad thing. Remember how, like, half of Trump's GE campaign in 2016 was, "I'm corrupt, but in a good way! Hillary? Corrupt in a BAD way, folks!"? This whole mentality of, "Trump can't attack the Dem candidate on that issue; he's guilty of it too!" should have disappeared four years ago; regrettably, it has not.

Depends on the issue. I don't think Trump is going to be able to be as effective attacking Biden on the sexual assault allegations because he's got like 20 of them and that's an easy counterpoint, but it would be much, much nicer if we could say "vote for the candidate who doesn't sexually assault people".

We are in a post-"emails" world, when the E-mail scandal is still one of the absolute stupidest scandals to ever come up in a presidential election. A not great IT security policy that didn't get compromised became the centerpoint of the campaign.

This is why that I agree that Hunter's "corruption" is just boring dumb stuff, and it sucks that rich powerful people get things for free, but I don't really care about it much, personally - I think the people in the thread arguing that it wasn't really corruption are mostly right. But it doesn't have to be right to be a stupid sound bite that Republicans parrot, and they're going to.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it's a very good attack in the But Her Emails vein for precisely the reason it generates dumb defenses like this

"look, TECHNICALLY there's nothing illegal about my fuckup kid getting a no-show job that pays more than you'll make over the course of your entire life, from people worried I might make rulings unfavorable to them" is a one hundred percent accurate statement. it also reinforces the underlying attack, that democrats and their enablers are hopelessly corrupt, tenfold.

because it gets you to say that as far as you're concerned buying influence is fine, when the people selling it have the right letter by their names.

true

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Yeah, there's always got to be one moron with a rebel flag at any event in Michigan. Wish we had a law that included "When spotted the person bearing such flag shall receive a nut punch from everyone in attendance"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Grayly Squirrel posted:

The only response from the Biden campaign should be to just lean into it. "At least was qualified and he could do some good there. My family knows Amtrak. I took Amtrak every day for 30 years as a Senator. Unlike Trump getting his trust-fund kid Ivanka and his spoiled son-in-law Jared senior positions in the White House. Those two aren't qualified to run a lemondade stand and he made them "Senior Advisors to the President! Its malarky."

That's 2012 Biden. 2020 Biden isn't on that level.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Wow those goal posts are on loving rocket skates. You've gone from "Hunter Biden was totally unqualified and could only get this position through corruption" to "he's not literally the only person in the world who'd be appropriate for the position so.... corruption!"

Those are the same argument

Your argument was that his qualification was being unqualified, I pointed out that they could have hired anyone if that's what they wanted so that obviously wasn't the reason.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

More from MI

https://mobile.twitter.com/PolarBarrett/status/1250444669269524483
https://mobile.twitter.com/PolarBarrett/status/1250460014348828672
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShannonBream/status/1250483683527712774

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

LorneReams posted:

So that second amendment helped your protest...how?

I'm sure he means everyone else get a gun and lay down their lives for freedom. Not him though. He is merely the messenger of freedom, instigator of stupidity, harbinger of death counts, toadie of injustice

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

I want to know why this man appears to have a boat motor strapped to the back of his pickup.

Out of that entire mess of goofy poo poo, this is the only picture that is confusing me.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

The Pussy Boss posted:

The loans he's proposed to forgive are held by the Department of Education.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Who gives a flying gently caress if Biden got his son a job at Amtrak?

Ivanka Trump is "Senior Advisor to the President of the United States." Jared Kushner works in the White House.

Are we even going to have this debate? I doubt the media will. Everyone with half a brain knows what is at stake if Trump wins, and there will absolutely be bias at every level to try and help Trump lose. Anything Biden has done, Trump has done more and/or worse. I sincerely doubt anyone outside of Fox News is going to play the false equivalence game this time around. Too many in the media (rightfully) feel they were partly responsible for this mess in the first place for this time around to be anything like 2016. And at this point Fox News is an echo-chamber. Its coverage is not swaying any independents.

This is just becoming a decorum argument. Trump does nepotism like this, but Biden did nepotism like that. Biden just did normal nepotism getting his son several jobs he was unqualified for, but it was done under the radar so it's okay. Trump is just a dumbshit who does it in plain sight because he is an idiot. It's the difference between money laundering from the bank you're president of and running in with a gun to a bank to steal money. It's not much different.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 15, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Who gives a flying gently caress if Biden got his son a job at Amtrak?

Are we even going to have this debate? I doubt the media will.

Does the electorate in general care? Hard to say. Joe Biden isn't nearly as reviled as HRC, so this sort of attack on him might not have much effect.

However, it will most definitely be a debate in the media, because the Trump campaign will seize on it as a line of attack. Depending on where things stand with pandemic response and the economic recession it might not catch on. It has the most potential to do damage if it forces Biden to be defensive and get out in the media, because then the opportunity is there for him to say something damning.

At the end of the day both Trump and Biden are wrong, but like someone else said up thread if Biden leans into "yes I and my family made mistakes but our mistakes aren't killing X Americans every hour" then he can probably weather it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Oh, how Murican this dumbshit is, he's got the suburban decor chinese made flagpoles for his.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

We are talking about the first one and you are claiming it's the second with zero supporting evidence

oh sure but nobody actually believes it isn't the second one because he is obviously not loving qualified (and in fact even you're admitting it, you've already retreated to just saying Biden's last name is a qualification in and of itself)

you're motivated to believe that he was just somehow the perfect man for the job and therefore this was the first thing, but again the problem is convincing people who aren't already invested in Democrats winning to vote for Democrats. Fortunately, a huge crisis is distracting everyone, but if it weren't it would be a problem.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

That's 2012 Biden. 2020 Biden isn't on that level.

He doesn't need to be. This is going to be the Weekend at Bernie's election because of COVID-19. No rallies, hardly any need for live events. Do everything you can through staff and surrogates. For the debates and a few live appearances you can pump him full of enough Dextroamphetamine and Modafinil to keep him cogent for 90 mins or so.

I'm only partially joking.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

VH4Ever posted:

Except for getting his failson cushy jobs at Ukrainian oil companies, I guess.

And a Chinese company too as I recall?

Honestly that's pretty tame given Biden's history, imo. Consider that Joe Biden was a US Senator for close to 40 loving years representing Delaware, a state notorious as a nexus for shady financial industry poo poo.

That he was buddies with the financial industry for that long without appearing to profit personally is unusual.

Note that I'm not defending Biden as a candidate. I've been telling my moderate Dem parents since the primary got going that I thought Biden was the weakest candidate in the whole field and most likely to lose to Trump. He's a lovely, boring corporatist Democrat who has serious weaknesses: lack of credibility on policy issues, sexual assault allegations, Hunter / Burisma stuff*, and his declining mental faculties.

Like, if we're playing Political Corruption Olympics then Joe Biden's actions are very minor. Hillary Clinton is much worse and most of her perception of corruption was manufactured, that's not even getting into Trump.

*I think it's more smoke than actual fire but Trump and rightwing media are going to hammer on it for months. It'll be buttery mails all over again.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ah yes, the famous Confederate heritage of Michigan.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

1glitch0 posted:

It's the difference between money laundering from the bank you're president of and running in with a gun to a bank to steal money. It's not much different.
Ah yes, the crime that could kill somebody while you're doing it: Not worse at all

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Xombie posted:

The loans he's proposed to forgive are held by the Department of Education.

Even just the current furlough being given to the recipients of fed student loans is going to make it much more difficult for private lenders to find willing victimsborrowers. Any student loan jubilee (no matter how inadequate) is going to extremely piss off the private lenders.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/annaliznichols/status/1250458745873842177

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Thinking Biden will take on the finance industry, the health insurance industry, the fossil fuel industry, etc when he accepts massive donations from them, and advances their agendas, is just madness. It's ignoring his whole career. It's like Trump voters who thought Trump would give them health care, because he said so.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

NecroBob posted:

I want to know why this man appears to have a boat motor strapped to the back of his pickup.

Out of that entire mess of goofy poo poo, this is the only picture that is confusing me.

His pickup is legally a boat, so he can only be subject to maritime law.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

That's not evidence.

You're trying to argue that corruption doesn't exist as long as it doesn't turn people into mindless servants. Burisma can get advantages by hiring a well-connected official's kid without getting literally anything they could possibly want thereby.

of course that's evidence. like i'm glad we've reached the "up is down!" level of argument from you, but of course "did the actions of this supposedly bribed politician help the alleged briber? no? they did the exact opposite level of help?" is most definitively evidence. especially since you complain about the difficulty of proving something happened and then "oh that's not good enough evidence when trying to prove a negative" is, uh, rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
much like everything in the Trumpverse reality, I believe you will find...

the truth is in the piddle