Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

precision posted:

Definitely rewatch Africa

I definitely want to. I remember that season being brutal. Like they were skeletal and there was no good water source. There is a reason they never went back and have done tropical (mostly Islands) since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They actively got angry at one tribe for having really bad fortifications since it put the crew in danger. Season 2 extended the game by another three days and you can definitely see it during the final 3 segment, they all look like they are about to keel over at any second.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Season 3 is maybe the first moment where you see people kind of break from voting down tribal lines, but there isn't a lot of interesting game play since people were mostly worried about not being killed by the wildlife. I think no one really had a chance to leave camp to chat as much as in other locations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think the modern strategy heavy version of the game is partly evolution but its also partly just that they're no longer scared of dying, starving to death, and afraid to leave their camps to go whisper with someone.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Plus with current seasons being so idol heavy, you just know if they tried to do a season like that today some poor idiot would get killed by a bear or something because they looked in the wrong cave for an advantage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raxivace posted:

Plus with current seasons being so idol heavy, you just know if they tried to do a season like that today some poor idiot would get killed by a bear or something because they looked in the wrong cave for an advantage.

Bug, feature, what's the difference? :v:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Huh, just watching AU Survivor and saw what sure looked like one of the most rigged challenges in Survivor history. It was one where Jonathan had to do a three count at the end, did a slow count for the first player and a super fast one for the second.

Turns out it was one where the actual challenge was very different but they changed it around to make it more dramatic for TV. Pretty sure stuff like this happens on almost every episode.

Spoilers in the linked article for Australian Survivor season 6:

https://amp.news.com.au/entertainme...bf05b1c8c363ab2

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

STAC Goat posted:

The flight/cab thing is weird to me because when I've watched it seems like a lot of noise and then they all end up at the same place at relatively the same time.

Which I think is fair but like that's the "formula" that feels to me like its more habit and tradition than actually something happening. It would be like if every episode of Survivor had a 15 minute segment of people picking Reward Challenge teams or something.

It's partly about tradition, but also a large part of it is the reality of global travel and organizing events around the world, it's really hard to do if people are arriving on two or three days apart from each other, which would happen quite a bit more often if they didn't bunch them together before various legs. It does also stop the show from being a boat race. I do sometimes though think it's pretty unfair for people to finish first like 80% of the time and then lose to a team that was only in the finals because three teams have to be in the finals, which happens sometimes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tony would have either died in an early season in a way that got the show cancelled or gotten a good scare and spent the rest of the season with his rear end attached to the shelter.

Rick posted:

It's partly about tradition, but also a large part of it is the reality of global travel and organizing events around the world, it's really hard to do if people are arriving on two or three days apart from each other, which would happen quite a bit more often if they didn't bunch them together before various legs. It does also stop the show from being a boat race. I do sometimes though think it's pretty unfair for people to finish first like 80% of the time and then lose to a team that was only in the finals because three teams have to be in the finals, which happens sometimes.

See before I watched it I kind of thought that was what it was. "A race around the world" and like if you got a lead you just kept it and I'm sure there'd be challenges and game mechanics designed to let people catch up and fall behind but if you were kicking rear end you just kept building a lead. Which seemed kind of curious but also potentially no fun. 50/50.

But then when I finally tuned in and realized they basically reset a couple of times each round it was like "oh, ok... so its basically who can complete their challenge fastest and not get lost?"

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 15, 2020

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Max posted:

Season 3 is maybe the first moment where you see people kind of break from voting down tribal lines, but there isn't a lot of interesting game play since people were mostly worried about not being killed by the wildlife. I think no one really had a chance to leave camp to chat as much as in other locations.

The one scene I always remember from Africa is a post merge episode where Tom, Frank, Ethan and a few others went out to get water and they see this huge bison (?). As soon as they spot it the game immediately stopped. They froze in place and everyone went from Survivor contestants to human beings trying not to die.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It always seemed so lopsided that Amazing Race challenges take maybe a couple hours if you're really bad at them, while you can end up twelve hours behind if you miss the last ferry (which players may not even know is a thing until they arrive). Might be interesting if they flipped it, with some challenges keeping teams in one place for like two days. Could also bring some interesting interactions if they go to the same idk streetside pretzel vendor for four straight meals.

I also find it impossible to play along with Amazing Race. And I don't need much, I'm not someone who presses pause and takes out a pencil and paper during each episode of The Genius (no judgement!). But the viewer is so unbelievably passive in AR. You can't play along with the challenges because they're either physical or you see the answer as part of the explanation. Gameplay seems to stop at "who should we u-turn?", which can be interesting but again we see the answer three seconds later with little explanation. There's nothing to talk about if you're watching together and nothing to think about if you're alone.

I haven't watched in a few seasons so maybe it's changed, and I certainly don't begrudge anyone's enjoyment. Mostly I just get frustrated at what feels like a squandered premise.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Stokes posted:

The one scene I always remember from Africa is a post merge episode where Tom, Frank, Ethan and a few others went out to get water and they see this huge bison (?). As soon as they spot it the game immediately stopped. They froze in place and everyone went from Survivor contestants to human beings trying not to die.

That one and the iconic "Ethan has to stay awake all night and mind the shelter because they can hear a pack of hungry animals in the darkness" scene always gets to me.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i'm really curious to see how Ethan ranks being on EoE vs Africa. EoE must be a vacation relatively. except for the logs maybe.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Late but I genuinely enjoyed Amazing Race for the stretches that I watched it for (I think I actively watched it for season 12-25, with some spotty seasons in the early ones). It was very good and then the later seasons got a bit formulaic. The Survivor vs. AR vs. Big Brother season was nice though. But like Survivor, what makes a season good is almost always gonna boil down to the cast.

That said, it's a bit harder to rewatch AR seasons because a lot of the excitement gets taken away, and while that also applies to Survivor you can usually rewatch those as a 'how the winner won' journey.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I’ve changed my mind about Australian Survivor. It is a machine which manufactures only human misery and sadness. Australian Survivor is where hope goes to die.

Never ever watch it.

Ever.

Seriously.

Don’t do it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
CvC2, Final 4 is my guess?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ApplesandOranges posted:

CvC2, Final 4 is my guess?

You would be correct.

Glad US Survivor learned to stop editing seasons like this.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Can you remind me what happened there? I’ve got a sneaking suspicion.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Luke loses the Immunity Challenge and there's no pretense it's going to be anyone but him. The rest of the episode is basically just a sad send-off to him.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Dugong posted:

Can you remind me what happened there? I’ve got a sneaking suspicion.

Luke lost the immunity challenge and got voted out in the final four. They really turned the knife with the episode around it too.

I kind of resent the production team for how they present these seasons only to have them fall apart in the final couple episodes. I’m glad the US production team has learned to not do that anymore.

I don’t know if I even want to watch the final episode after that. :sigh:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The finale is still very much worth watching. The FIC is honestly brutal and the FTC is decently entertaining.

(At least, it's better than 2017 in my opinion. Great season, very dull F3.)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The finale is still very much worth watching. The FIC is honestly brutal and the FTC is decently entertaining.

(At least, it's better than 2017 in my opinion. Great season, very dull F3.)

Yeah, I’ll probably wake up and watch it in the morning. It’s been a really good season but goddamn that left me gutted.

I guess the upside is I’m one episode away from All-Stars if I decide I’m willing to put myself through this one more time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
All-Stars is... a very different ball park from the other Australian seasons, in my opinion. But I'll have better comparisons when you're done.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

BGrifter posted:

Luke lost the immunity challenge and got voted out in the final four. They really turned the knife with the episode around it too.

I kind of resent the production team for how they present these seasons only to have them fall apart in the final couple episodes. I’m glad the US production team has learned to not do that anymore.

I don’t know if I even want to watch the final episode after that. :sigh:

This is kind of one of the downsides to the way they air the late season episodes. Like US Survivor the final goes from like 6 players down to 3 in the 1st hour. Australian Survivor has entire 60 minute (without ads) for each elimination.

The longer episodes are both a blessing and a curse.

Also, if it makes you feel better they give Luke the All Stars Rupert treatment with a fan favorite vote to still get him $500k.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Oh jeez yeah that was heartbreaking when it aired but I kind of expected it to happen.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
TAR Chat:

I haven't watched it in probably 10 years, but isn't the reason they put in those catch-up mechanics because there were teams that were literally days & countries ahead of other teams? I seem to remember this being the case long ago, where some team got out ahead and just continued to utterly dominate because there wasn't even another team in the same country as them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SweetJahasus posted:

TAR Chat:

I haven't watched it in probably 10 years, but isn't the reason they put in those catch-up mechanics because there were teams that were literally days & countries ahead of other teams? I seem to remember this being the case long ago, where some team got out ahead and just continued to utterly dominate because there wasn't even another team in the same country as them.

Yeah it was likely to be a runaway in early seasons

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BGrifter posted:

Jonathan is a better Jeff Probst than Jeff Probst is in 2020.

I used to think Probst was impossible to replace. Now I think replacing him with Jonathan would be an improvement.
Same. Jonathan does what Jeff does effortlessly, and I feel like that means there's many other people who could too. The only issue with losing Probst is going to be the hit to the reputation/image of the show, which would exacerbate the "that's still on?" aspect of it, especially if they started recycling through replacements a la American Idol.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It would obviously end up being Boston Rob.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

It would obviously end up being Boston Rob.

No thanks.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Raxivace posted:

Amazing Race just kind of bores me as a game, at least based on the four or so episodes I've seen.

It just feels like if you took a Survivor challenge and stretched it over like an entire 45 minutes of airtime.
Yeah, pretty much. It's multiple challenges ofc, some are interesting, but mostly you watch to root for and against some teams and to see locations, not for the game itself imo.

Sighence posted:

Has AZ evolved past just being ten rounds of global taxi roulette? I watched some of the mid-30 seasons a year or so ago and it feels the same as it did watching season 7-9, for better and worse.
Only watched once in recent years, but it was the same as ever when I did. Taxi roulette is part of it, but also it's just not that dynamic of a game.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Kinda messed up that people with kids get the whole family, but people without kids don't at least get multiple people too in the form of parents, spouses, friends, etc.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Aw man no twinnie.

Also this segment is interminable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Finally made it to the episode on time and they're doing some snooze fest.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Bring out Wendell for Michelle.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Make Rob & Ambah's kids pick which parent they prefer

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Clan Jeremy

Lol at this Lion King rear end music

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well that was nice.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It was nice... but it also robs us of a big moment of tension and resentment that often results in interesting moves or episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Khanstant posted:

It was nice... but it also robs us of a big moment of tension and resentment that often results in interesting moves or episodes.

They'll get a chance to trade their kids for fire tokens.