Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Srice posted:

Not only are they blocking an ambulance but they are also blocking the hospital itself. It's awful.

These are all likely the same people that were advocating for michigan state troopers to murder those unions protesting at the capitol years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Those are the same argument

Your argument was that his qualification was being unqualified, I pointed out that they could have hired anyone if that's what they wanted so that obviously wasn't the reason.

Okay so you're arguement is "you can't prove it wasn't corrupt so it's corrupt"

VitalSigns posted:

oh sure but nobody actually believes it isn't the second one because he is obviously not loving qualified (and in fact even you're admitting it, you've already retreated to just saying Biden's last name is a qualification in and of itself)

you're motivated to believe that he was just somehow the perfect man for the job and therefore this was the first thing, but again the problem is convincing people who aren't already invested in Democrats winning to vote for Democrats. Fortunately, a huge crisis is distracting everyone, but if it weren't it would be a problem.

I've admitted no such thing and actually multiple times put effort into explaining why he was qualified for that particular position.

And yes, having a famous last name is qualifying for a position like that. Or do you think it's corrupt if Nike uses famous people in their ads instead of your high school basketball coach?

When you recommend someone it's all well and good because you're saving your friend/boss time vetting people and the risk associated with hiring an unknown quantity. When other people do that it's because they're corrupt and giving unqualified candidates jobs because nepotism. This is bullshit actor-observer bias all the way down.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

theflyingorc posted:

Ah yes, the crime that could kill somebody while you're doing it: Not worse at all

Biden 2020: Look if you're going to steal money do it by cooking the books, don't storm in with a gun like a goddamn criminal!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

"Whitmer is a nazi, which is an ideology I also support."

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

This is just becoming a decorum argument. Trump does nepotism like this, but Biden did nepotism like that]. Biden just did normal nepotism getting his several jobs he was unqualified for, but it was done under the radar so it's okay. Trump is just a dumbshit who does it in plain sight because he is an idiot. It's the difference between money laundering from the bank you're president of and running in with a gun to a bank to steal money. It's not much different.

I don't think its a decorum argument at all. Its a practical argument. There is a different in substance that goes beyond the optics.

What did Hunter Biden do? He had a seat on the board of directors at Amtrak. One of many. He didn't have much actual authority. Nor does the Amtrak board do much of anything in practice. Even if Hunter was a mouth-drooling idiot, there isn't much harm he could do.

Ivanka and Jared are responsible for actual policy at the White House. From the pandemic to diplomacy, kids in cages, firing Comey, and everything in-between. They are responsible for failed decisions that have killed people. And their failures are the direct result of their rank incompetence and complete lack of qualifications to have such a senior advisory position.

Your average small business owner or construction worker can relate to someone giving their gently caress-up son/cousin/friend a cushy gig where they can't do much harm. People do that in America all the time. Its relate-able. Most people have a story or know a situation like that. No one really cares about the gently caress-up cousin who gets stuck in accounting or sales where he can't hurt anyone, so long as the company is treating you well and fairly.

Its when the gently caress-up cousin gets put in senior management and puts your health/job at risk that people start getting their pitchforks out. And almost everyone knows of a story like that as well.

Grayly Squirrel fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 15, 2020

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I know it's bad of me to say so, and if I eat a probe for it, fine. But i hope each one of these fuckers catches the roni, and I hope that douche in the van gets his wish with death

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

of course that's evidence. like i'm glad we've reached the "up is down!" level of argument from you, but of course "did the actions of this supposedly bribed politician help the alleged briber? no? they did the exact opposite level of help?" is most definitively evidence. especially since you complain about the difficulty of proving something happened and then "oh that's not good enough evidence when trying to prove a negative" is, uh, rich.

no it isn't

the purpose of hiring powerful people's relatives is to get some favorable treatment, it's not a mind-control ray that gives you everything you want.

For example, health insurance companies contributed huge amounts to Obama's campaign, in exchange a bunch of stuff favorable to them found its way into the ACA, but they still didn't get every last thing they wanted because there's more going on than just their contributions. (it's why they immediately pivoted to supporting Republicans because once the ACA was passed the insurance companies wanted even more). But it would be absurd to point at say the lifetime limit cap ban and say "see! nothing corrupt happened here! they didn't get everything!"

It's unlikely Biden single-handedly had the power to change the administration's position on firing the corrupt prosecutor, because it was something a bunch of our allies and other international organizations were pushing for as well. "Biden didn't single-handedly stop this thing he didn't have the power to stop" is not evidence of anything.

You're believing what you want to believe, which fine whatever, I'm more concerned with whether voters will accept these ridiculous defenses that rely wholly on pedantry over substance, and if you look at polls: they don't! Fortunately for Biden a huge crisis is going to bail him out this year.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

no it isn't

the purpose of hiring powerful people's relatives is to get some favorable treatment, it's not a mind-control ray that gives you everything you want.

For example, health insurance companies contributed huge amounts to Obama's campaign, in exchange a bunch of stuff favorable to them found its way into the ACA, but they still didn't get every last thing they wanted because there's more going on than just their contributions. (it's why they immediately pivoted to supporting Republicans because once the ACA was passed the insurance companies wanted even more).

It's unlikely Biden single-handedly had the power to change the administration's position on firing the corrupt prosecutor, because it was something a bunch of our allies and other international organizations were pushing for as well. "Biden didn't single-handedly stop this thing he didn't have the power to stop" is not evidence of anything.

You're believing what you want to believe, which fine whatever, I'm more concerned with whether voters will accept these ridiculous defenses that rely wholly on pedantry over substance, and if you look at polls: they don't! Fortunately for Biden a huge crisis is going to bail him out this year.

"The person who you are accusing of taking a bribe acted against the person you are accusing of bribing them" is not pedantry.

Especially when you've yet to provide an example of this person ever acting in the alleged briber's interests.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Pro-coronavirus rally" is my favorite neologism of the week

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Okay so you're arguement is "you can't prove it wasn't corrupt so it's corrupt"

I've admitted no such thing and actually multiple times put effort into explaining why he was qualified for that particular position.

And yes, having a famous last name is qualifying for a position like that. Or do you think it's corrupt if Nike uses famous people in their ads instead of your high school basketball coach?

When you recommend someone it's all well and good because you're saving your friend/boss time vetting people and the risk associated with hiring an unknown quantity. When other people do that it's because they're corrupt and giving unqualified candidates jobs because nepotism. This is bullshit actor-observer bias all the way down.

No it isn't because you can't think of a single way in which he's qualified other than his last name.

If I recommend someone for a technical job or whatever, the recommendation isn't "but look who his daddy is"

And yes, I and most people, presume impropriety when a deal has the appearance of impropriety. And ethical behavior demands avoiding those appearances which one can easily do if impropriety isn't happening. You're making John Roberts poo poo-tier arguments here. Which again is not surprising, both you and Roberts are motivated to defend corruption from the team.

The problem is people who aren't motivated don't buy what you and Roberts are selling.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Let's be fair here, this dude has had that window lettering sitting around since she got elected and finally had the reason to stick it in his window

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lord Hydronium posted:

Ah yes, the famous Confederate heritage of Michigan.

I really wish a lot of the rednecks would just stay in Florida on their vacations.

Just stay their motherfuckers. This state hates you

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Grayly Squirrel posted:

I don't think its a decorum argument at all. Its a practical argument. There is a different in substance that goes beyond the optics.

What did Hunter Biden do? He had a seat on the board of directors at Amtrak. One of many. He didn't have much actual authority. Nor does the Amtrak board do much of anything in practice. Even if Hunter was a mouth-drooling idiot, there isn't much harm he could do.

Ivanka and Jared are responsible for actual policy at the White House. From the pandemic to diplomacy, kids in cages, firing Comey, and everything in-between. They are responsible for failed decisions that have killed people. And their failures are the direct result of their rank incompetence and complete lack of qualifications to have such a senior advisory position.

Your average small business owner or construction worker can relate to someone giving their gently caress-up son/cousin/friend a cushy gig where they can't do much harm. People do that in America all the time. Its relate-able. Most people have a story or know a situation like that. No one really cares about the gently caress-up cousin who gets stuck in accounting or sales where he can't hurt anyone, so long as the company is treating you well and fairly.

Its when the gently caress-up cousin gets put in senior management and puts your health/job at risk that people care about. And almost everyone knows of a story like that as well.

No, I agree, but that's just optics and because Trump is a dumb poo poo. Trump could have just helped elevate Ivanka and Kushner into places and STILL take their advice on how to run his dumb presidency, but do it quietly. He just did it openly instead of funneling money to their stupid companies.

Burisma clearly wanted something. I don't know if they got it, but Hunter Biden was the board of a company most people in this country has never heard of. So of course it LOOKS better than having your family wandering around the WH, but that's just optics and decorum.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Need some help:

The IRS website says all offices are closed because of the Coronavirus. My mom got overpaid. She got $2400 instead of $1200. She got the payment for my dad who passed away this last July. How can she contact someone to give it back before they come after her?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

NecroBob posted:

I want to know why this man appears to have a boat motor strapped to the back of his pickup.

Out of that entire mess of goofy poo poo, this is the only picture that is confusing me.

He thinks he can't go fishing because "Whitmer locked us all up". You can go out, you can go fishing. You just can't heard in groups and fish, which takes all the fun out of it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

"The person who you are accusing of taking a bribe acted against the person you are accusing of bribing them" is not pedantry.

Biden didn't have the power to act any other way though, a ton of other governments wanted that guy fired too. The VP has influence, but can't mind-control Obama and every EU government.

You're grasping at straws, this "evidence" isn't evidence of what you say.

Burisima was paying $80k/month, they obviously expected it was worth the money.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TulliusCicero posted:

I really wish a lot of the rednecks would just stay in Florida on their vacations.

Just stay their motherfuckers. This state hates you

I got bad news for you....lots of those rednecks are home grown. We are a farmin' state after all

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

What is it with conservative dumb-dumbs and cigars

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

this is an article of faith among bernie supporters (as it needed to be for him to have a chance) but is not true. all evidence, including the actual results of the primaries (which disproved the bernie argument he could uniquely drive turnout and in particular youth turnout, and that biden was just too senile to even manage a debate) is that biden is a stronger GE candidate.

Even before 2016 you could find various studies and polls indicating that the electorate is more leftist than their candidates. Political policies and practices are influenced more by doners than by voters.

And Bernie did drive up turnout. We had a good dark laugh about all the interviews with voters who showed up because of Bernie but voted Biden anyway at the last minute because the media scared them about electability.

evilweasel posted:

this also ignores that if bernie couldn't deal with evil powers lying to the electorate, what the gently caress did he think was going to happen in the GE?

I think partisanship would have helped Bernie in the general, it obviously isn't a factor in the primary.

Besides that note, what is your point? We all agree it's hard to fight the establishment. Obviously giving up is easier, there's no debate on that.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Morrow posted:

His pickup is legally a boat, so he can only be subject to maritime law.

Oh my god that's probably an actual wacko liberterian thing

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Need some help:

The IRS website says all offices are closed because of the Coronavirus. My mom got overpaid. She got $2400 instead of $1200. She got the payment for my dad who passed away this last July. How can she contact someone to give it back before they come after her?

they are going off 2018 filling. i assume your folks filed as a couple so she got the money for both of them. its because it thinks your dads still alive and couples get 2400 instead of 1200.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Panaflex posted:

My tax accountant filed our 2019 a month ago to ensure we get the stimulus because we wouldn't qualify for it based on our 2018 return and do for 2019. Even though we owe for 2019 he told me the payment isn't due until July 15th which is good because I plan to use the stimulus to pay part of what we owe.

He also emailed us this morning and said he entered our DD into the IRS system this morning since he filed without including since we were going to owe.

I mean, nothing's really changed in my life or income since last year (and I owe roughly the same as I did last year)-- and I make far less than $75k a year. I received a State refund last year and that came through DD, and I'm looking at my 2018 return and my DD info is on there, and yet...

I don't have a tax accountant. Not quite sure what to do here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Need some help:

The payment is an estimate based on her 2018 return, if it's no longer accurate, she'll just owe that $1200 back on her 2020 taxes

Just make sure she doesn't spend it before then

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Freeman on the Land poo poo, yes, it probably is.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SocketWrench posted:

I got bad news for you....lots of those rednecks are home grown. We are a farmin' state after all

I'm saying when they go on their vacations to Florida are rednecks should just go there and stay

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Need some help:

There should be contact info. Send to that, keep a copy of it, and if they come after her, "hey, we tried, and you fuckers weren't open". Make sure that 1200 stays untouched though because they can zap that right back out of your account whether it's there or not.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Need some help:

Legally this is all a refund for the 2019 tax year, so there's really nothing to give back. He still appeared on the 2019 taxes.

edit: apparently it's a 2020 refund, based on 2018/19

Xombie fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 15, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

No it isn't because you can't think of a single way in which he's qualified other than his last name.

If I recommend someone for a technical job or whatever, the recommendation isn't "but look who his daddy is"

That's bullshit and I've cited Hunter's past positions and qualifications numerous times, he's got a long resume filled with exactly the sort of poo poo that gets people board seats.

VitalSigns posted:

And yes, I and most people, presume impropriety when a deal has the appearance of impropriety. And ethical behavior demands avoiding those appearances which one can easily do if impropriety isn't happening. You're making John Roberts poo poo-tier arguments here.

John Roberts arguement was that if there's not a quid pro quo it can't be reasonably proven that party A acted in party B's best interest because of corruption rather than agreement with party B's position.

Your poo poo-tier arguement here is that party A intentionally going out and loving over party B isn't evidence against corruption because... lack of corrupt behavior isn't evidence of a lack of corruption?

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Need some help:

They won't.

Keep it in a bank account, don't touch it for now. Because the payments are based on people's status in 2018 or 2019, even though its an advance on a 2020 tax credit. And the law was written in such a way that even if you end up not qualifying in 2020, you don't have to pay it back. So it very well may be that it doesn't matter, and she can keep the money.

Treat it like any other bank error in your favor. Don't touch in, keep it in virtual escrow, and then seek advice from a lawyer/tax accountant.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

With a dash of sovereign citizen batshittery

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bizarro Watt posted:

What is it with conservative dumb-dumbs and cigars

From personal experience it's a twofer. Cigars both represent power because that's what all the big shots smoked, and they're a fun call back to Clinton's BJ. It's conservatives trying to be witty and clever like the preteen level minded people they are

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Morrow posted:

His pickup is legally a boat, so he can only be subject to maritime law.

Everyone gets this backwards. Freemen don't want maritime law / to be classed as boats. They think that's what's already happening and want it to stop, hence all the magic spells about being "flesh and blood".

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

From personal experience it's a twofer. Cigars both represent power because that's what all the big shots smoked, and they're a fun call back to Clinton's BJ. It's conservatives trying to be witty and clever like the preteen level minded people they are

Its also a Dunning-Kruger flex that goes something like "Liberals say smoking is bad, but me with my smart brain won't get cancer because you don't inhale cigars. Duh. Haha dumb liberals think they are so smart."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

That's bullshit and I've cited Hunter's past positions and qualifications numerous times, he's got a long resume filled with exactly the sort of poo poo that gets people board seats.

Positions that daddy got him, as I have already shown.

By this reasoning Ivanka and Jared are qualified for whatever since daddy has gotten them big important jobs before. Of course you don't hold them to the same standards, the problem is there are voters we need who aren't kneejerk partisans like you.

Jarmak posted:

Your poo poo-tier arguement here is that party A intentionally going out and loving over party B isn't evidence against corruption because... lack of corrupt behavior isn't evidence of a lack of corruption?

I've already pointed out twice that the VP can't overrule a dozen EU governments and international organizations that wanted the same thing, it's not great for your position that you can't deal with this very obvious problem in your argument.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm saying when they go on their vacations to Florida are rednecks should just go there and stay

The rednecks don't go because the rednecks are the poor fucks that enjoy having republican boots on their necks so long as they get to keep living like rednecks. Sure you see a few here in shiny pickups and that's likely because they dumped every cent they had into it because "red line for a good time" poo poo

and on that note, i wonder how many of those fucks got into coal rolling competitions because of course they need to measure penises

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 15, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Governor insists protesters stand close together, share beer bottles, give each other french kisses and protest by coughing in each other's face.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

He thinks he can't go fishing because "Whitmer locked us all up". You can go out, you can go fishing. You just can't heard in groups and fish, which takes all the fun out of it

There's a poo poo ton of misinformation going around in Michigan both through a game of telephone and of course, stuff being spread maliciously.

One of the things conservatives are complaining about in Michigan is not being able to buy seeds for gardening. Which is easily proven false but they don't care about the truth. They're also saying that mowing your lawn is illegal now, when it's not.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember when half the country had a stroke over a Black Lives Matter protest possibly blocking an ambulance?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/gzornick/status/1250431953616027648

https://twitter.com/jackgillum/status/1250220680475545600

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1250469524077449216

https://twitter.com/CourtneyHagle/status/1250397718675099656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember when half the country had a stroke over a Black Lives Matter protest possibly blocking an ambulance?

That was more about the color of the protestors. You'll notice there's not a whole lot of color in the crowds this time.