Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Well, at least we know how the Aurora crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

PurpleXVI posted:

Also I love that island, you hit that up and you're set for lithium for about half the game. Also access to diamonds that involves dealing with less warpers and yelly fellas than just about any other location containing them that I can think of.

That island is great. I had my main base built on the beach to the left side of the big alien structure.

There’s a place in there that makes for a really cool submarine dock that I liked to use. It wasn't the most convenient place, but drat does it look awesome. I only wish the game would allow you to build base parts inside those locations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
About walking the ledges in flippers. You looked at your feet in this video shortly thereafter. The flippers were retracted somehow on land and came back when you were in the water. Spacetech.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

The "random damage" was actually a bleeder biting on to him just as he got into the seamoth, because he was in the moth he couldn't do anything to get rid of it.

Ah, totally missed that.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also I love that island, you hit that up and you're set for lithium for about half the game. Also access to diamonds that involves dealing with less warpers and yelly fellas than just about any other location containing them that I can think of.

Yeah I did a trip to that place recently just to pick up as much lithium as I could carry for future purposes.
Also been very tempted to build a base there as well. Even if I would almost want the upgraded solar panels for that since there's no thermal vents and the bioreactor needs to be refilled from time to time. Might be a better location for a scanner room than my first base too.
Which turned out to be at the geyer that DN completely missed, pretty sure they zipped past it earlier in the recent video too but I can't be 100% certain.

Psycho Knight posted:

There’s a place in there that makes for a really cool submarine dock that I liked to use. It wasn't the most convenient place, but drat does it look awesome. I only wish the game would allow you to build base parts inside those locations.

Ah yes, that place. Now there's a location that gave me strong "gently caress the Ocean" vibes.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah I did a trip to that place recently just to pick up as much lithium as I could carry for future purposes.
Also been very tempted to build a base there as well. Even if I would almost want the upgraded solar panels for that since there's no thermal vents and the bioreactor needs to be refilled from time to time. Might be a better location for a scanner room than my first base too.
Which turned out to be at the geyer that DN completely missed, pretty sure they zipped past it earlier in the recent video too but I can't be 100% certain.

There are thermal vents/geysers near the beach area that DoubleNegative was roaming. I built my main base on that beach and used thermal generators for it.

The issue is that the geothermal wells are very deep. You need to set up relay points along the cliff all the way down there. You also need to set them up in a certain way because the little power pylon things need clear line of sight from one to the next, which is difficult due to the changes in terrain.

It can be done though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psycho Knight posted:

There are thermal vents/geysers near the beach area that DoubleNegative was roaming. I built my main base on that beach and used thermal generators for it.

The issue is that the geothermal wells are very deep. You need to set up relay points along the cliff all the way down there. You also need to set them up in a certain way because the little power pylon things need clear line of sight from one to the next, which is difficult due to the changes in terrain.

It can be done though.

Ah, good to know in that case. Probably could to need a secondary base either way at some point.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Samovar posted:

Well, at least we know how the Aurora crashed.

We apparently got lucky, too, given the Sunbeam got blown to pieces and the Aurora tanked the hit well enough to manage a relatively controlled crash.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
I think the Sunbeam is also a much smaller ship than the Aurora

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Cooked Auto posted:

Ah, good to know in that case. Probably could to need a secondary base either way at some point.

I just loaded my save to double check, and yeah, it can be done but it will take some work. Look at this rock (the one with the room built on it), which is on that beach that DoubleNegative arrived at, then turn to the right and follow the cliff down. It's not straight down, but if you just kind of go with the flow of the cliff/land then you should reach it. It's roughly 490 meters down.

There's only a single geyser (that I could find), but if you look at the screenshot I linked to then you can see that you can sort of wedge 6 or 7 thermal generators in there if you position them correctly. Should be just enough heat to keep them at max output. The three that I built down there are putting out 750 power total.

Unfortunately, you need a ton of titanium and gold to make the power extender things (I think I needed 15-20 in order to snake up the cliff and back to the beach). Not to mention the materials for the generators.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Polaron posted:

We apparently got lucky, too, given the Sunbeam got blown to pieces and the Aurora tanked the hit well enough to manage a relatively controlled crash.

The Sunbeam is a dinky little free trader of some sort; probably about space shuttle sized. Like looking at the concept art for it, it almost seems out of scale given how big the cockpit is in comparison to everything else. Even so that gun platform is huge, so I'm surprised it merely knocked the Aurora out of the sky rather than pulverized it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I may just need to start scrounging for more titanium as well as all my frivolous building has consumed a fair bit of my stock that I already had. At most I'd probably just set up a minor base there for the Cyclops since I don't think it'll fit all that well in the Shallows base.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Psycho Knight posted:

That island is great. I had my main base built on the beach to the left side of the big alien structure.

Oh hey, you too?

I did get a lot luckier in spawns than DN though. The Warper spawned on the approach to the island, not the beach like he did, and you can't hear the Welcome Fish roars from the beach.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Polaron posted:

The Aurora was in the upper atmosphere when it got hit, too. So the beam's intensity could have been diluted by the atmosphere. The Sunbeam comparatively took that hit square on the chin.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Polaron posted:

You could also flip it around by saying that we got unlucky. The Aurora only just missed crashing into the island with that big laser canon on it. If it had, maybe it would have taken out the laser canon and the Sunbeam wouldn't have been destroyed while trying to save us.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Oh hey, you too?

I did get a lot luckier in spawns than DN though. The Warper spawned on the approach to the island, not the beach like he did, and you can't hear the Welcome Fish roars from the beach.

It's a great island! It has a prime spot for base building, close to the front of the Aurora, nearby deep water for parking the sub, and good resources nearby. Plus, there's nearby access to tunnels. I think the only major drawback is that it's located really far away from the southern half of the map, so exploring that section would require a secondary base (I just converted the starting lifepod into a pit-stop).

I also got luckier on the spawns than DN, though not as lucky as you it sounds like. I don't recall ever hearing any roaring, but I know that the Warper spawned over by the alien structure for me. It's not near the beach, which is possibly the worst place it could be, but it's also kind of in the way of that cool sub dock.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I like what they do with the Sunbeam. You're given a definite location and a very generous time to go over and check the place out, giving you a good chance to explore and wonder what the big alien building is for, and then the "oh, THAT'S what it's for :(" moment.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Yyyyeah, that's not good. :(

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Or to go to the landing site immediately, discover the building, have enough time to go exploring, figure out its purpose, and rush outside to watch with a crushing sense of hopeless inevitability.

This loving game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Or to go to the landing site immediately, discover the building, have enough time to go exploring, figure out its purpose, and rush outside to watch with a crushing sense of hopeless inevitability.

This loving game.

The timing on that worked out perfectly for me the first time I played, as I got out of the building thirty seconds before the Sunbeam arrived and had to helplessly watch them get destroyed by the very weapon I had just been studying.

Doesn't work so well if you go through the building twenty minutes before the Sunbeam arrives, though, and have plenty of time to return to your base and wonder why you can't radio them to warn them away.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This loving game.

That was my experience, by the time I got out the only thing to see was the building folding back down.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

The timing on that worked out perfectly for me the first time I played, as I got out of the building thirty seconds before the Sunbeam arrived and had to helplessly watch them get destroyed by the very weapon I had just been studying.

Doesn't work so well if you go through the building twenty minutes before the Sunbeam arrives, though, and have plenty of time to return to your base and wonder why you can't radio them to warn them away.

Hell, what this scene makes apparent is that your suit also has a radio, since the Sunbeam is able to directly communicate with you during her descent, so it gets even more vexing that you can't get them to abort when it becomes apparent just what the structure you're standing next to is.

I do have to give props to the designers though for managing both to hide the purpose of the platform on initial inspection but also to make it very clear just what it is the moment it folds open; it didn't even have to finish before I realized what it was.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I was like "40 minutes is a lot of time, let's do other things first", got distracted and only watched the fireworks from afar.
The problem is that the beacon disappears after that (I think it's the only beacon in the game that does this? Others just get disabled once you visit them), so I never actually went that island until close to the end of the story.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ooof, got kind of swindled out of the Sunbeam's appearance there. Cloud was in the way so it was all blurry.

PurpleXVI posted:

The place I usually go for diamonds (at least to get my laser cutter) isn't too far from the island and there's no warpers or Sea Satan's there. It's also a bit better because it doesn't depend on Shale RNG, they just spawn there naturally. Underwater islands are great.

There are sharks though. That sound way worse than they bite so I'm not sure if they count as yelly fellas.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

MShadowy posted:

Hell, what this scene makes apparent is that your suit also has a radio, since the Sunbeam is able to directly communicate with you during her descent, so it gets even more vexing that you can't get them to abort when it becomes apparent just what the structure you're standing next to is.

I do have to give props to the designers though for managing both to hide the purpose of the platform on initial inspection but also to make it very clear just what it is the moment it folds open; it didn't even have to finish before I realized what it was.

Well, I mean, you're mute, so.. :P

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

There's a gameplay reason to not go inside the big scary building too, as well as common sense: Going inside triggers a flag that makes all Warpers hostile to you. And we are not prepared to deal with them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

There's a gameplay reason to not go inside the big scary building too, as well as common sense: Going inside triggers a flag that makes all Warpers hostile to you. And we are not prepared to deal with them.

Motherfucker. Although the one I saw right at the base of the island seemed instantly hostile to me even before I had stepped inside.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
my closest encounter with holla holla was while wandering around the cannon, having an exact same "ooh shiny thing" moment where I'm on land and spot a rock outcrop in the water at the cliff edge, walk over to get it, dip my head below the surface and OH HELLO SCREAMLORD IS JUST CASUALLY SWIMMING BY less than ten meters away.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019
I really like the sunbeam story line, of interest is it is possible to save the sunbeam crew by basically speed running the game. They still can't pick you up, but in this case its because of the debris cloud from all the various ships that have been shot down. For base fun its possible to build a tube tunnel from your life-pod to say the aurora above water and avoid the fun time screamy friends.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

Motherfucker. Although the one I saw right at the base of the island seemed instantly hostile to me even before I had stepped inside.

Story spoiler The warpers become hostile to you when you get the infection. That can happen before you go into the base, but you definitely get infected once you are in the base - or at least once you interact with a thing in there.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Ah that's good to know about the bleeder, that killed me when I was playing hardcore had no clue why either

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

MShadowy posted:

There is a difference between receiving a broadcast and transmitting one. It takes a lot more power to transmit, your suit probably doesn't have the power for anything but short-range wi-fi signals. And in regards to running back to the lifepod and using that radio, I'm pretty sure early diagnostics showed that damage had left it in receive only mode.

By the time the Sunbeam reached your transmission range, it would have been too late.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Bookthief posted:

I really like the sunbeam story line, of interest is it is possible to save the sunbeam crew by basically speed running the game. They still can't pick you up, but in this case its because of the debris cloud from all the various ships that have been shot down. For base fun its possible to build a tube tunnel from your life-pod to say the aurora above water and avoid the fun time screamy friends.

Did they patch things at all? When I played, you didn't need to speedrun the game, you just had to ignore the radio until you were ready to trigger the Sunbeam event.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Guper posted:

Story spoiler The warpers become hostile to you when you get the infection. That can happen before you go into the base, but you definitely get infected once you are in the base - or at least once you interact with a thing in there.

This is why I call Bleeders, Biters, and Cave Crawlers an extremely hamfisted way to kickstart the game's plot. Actual mechanical spoilers below, so don't read unless you've played the game before.

Just getting in the water starts the slow process of getting the infection. But in my experience, getting attacked by one of those three "enemies" is a surefire way to trigger the start of the infection. Not-so-coincidentally, the Aurora Drive Core is full of Bleeders. I've had runs where I've avoided being attacked by anything in the water and self scans were clean until I entered the Aurora. After entering and getting attacked by a Bleeder, it instantly read as Infected

I'll discuss the above starting in the next video when we get introduced to the concept. So it's not a major spoiler. :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

This is why I call Bleeders, Biters, and Cave Crawlers an extremely hamfisted way to kickstart the game's plot. Actual mechanical spoilers below, so don't read unless you've played the game before.

Just getting in the water starts the slow process of getting the infection. But in my experience, getting attacked by one of those three "enemies" is a surefire way to trigger the start of the infection. Not-so-coincidentally, the Aurora Drive Core is full of Bleeders. I've had runs where I've avoided being attacked by anything in the water and self scans were clean until I entered the Aurora. After entering and getting attacked by a Bleeder, it instantly read as Infected

I'll discuss the above starting in the next video when we get introduced to the concept. So it's not a major spoiler. :v:

In this case, just entering the Aurora is what triggers that development. It progresses based on what plot milestones you've hit.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

Did they patch things at all? When I played, you didn't need to speedrun the game, you just had to ignore the radio until you were ready to trigger the Sunbeam event.

Forgot about that one, that will still work in theory. Unfortunately it seems like this alternative ending for the sunbeam is rather glitchy or finicky. There are multiple reports of the sunbeam getting destroyed by a deactivated tower.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hey, this was really good. Thanks for sharing it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

rbakervv posted:

There is a difference between receiving a broadcast and transmitting one. It takes a lot more power to transmit, your suit probably doesn't have the power for anything but short-range wi-fi signals. And in regards to running back to the lifepod and using that radio, I'm pretty sure early diagnostics showed that damage had left it in receive only mode.

By the time the Sunbeam reached your transmission range, it would have been too late.

The Sunbeam mentions that they can see you from orbit, presumably with a telescope. At that point I feel like gesturing wildly towards the giant cannon may have helped :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bookthief posted:

Forgot about that one, that will still work in theory. Unfortunately it seems like this alternative ending for the sunbeam is rather glitchy or finicky. There are multiple reports of the sunbeam getting destroyed by a deactivated tower.

I think that's the case if you cut it too close. Obviously if the "we're coming to get you, here's the timer" has started, it's already spooling up that version of the event: the alternate doesn't even do the attempt or the timer. And I wouldn't be surprised if having that be the currently queued up radio message (even if you haven't listened to it yet) would still lock it in.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

DoubleNegative posted:

Actually of note, it appears that it can be related to the "unknown power source" transmission from your PDA AI; I actually reloaded and tested this a few times after realizing I'd gotten infected somehow. I did initially think it was from getting bitten by a Cave Crawler, but it showed up even in tests where I didn't have that happen, and always at the same point following the same set of actions -> drive to island, hear transmissions, wander around; my final two tests had me stay in my Sea Moth - the one where I still went to the island I still got infected despite never leaving the vehicle, but the one where I turned around and went back home no infection occurred.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019

Vil posted:

I think that's the case if you cut it too close. Obviously if the "we're coming to get you, here's the timer" has started, it's already spooling up that version of the event: the alternate doesn't even do the attempt or the timer. And I wouldn't be surprised if having that be the currently queued up radio message (even if you haven't listened to it yet) would still lock it in.

All of these reports have the player disabling the gun a message or two before the countdown trigger. One left the radio unrepaired until after the gun was disabled, and then called them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Subnautica is a pretty buggy game at times. :v: There's one bug that I can't show off until the very, very, very end of the game, but I'm very much looking forward to doing to because it's so goofy. And if I'm not mistaken, it can be triggered reliably.