Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow that’s wild dude, I find this episode to be virtually unwatchable! Even as a child it was one of maybe 3 eps in syndication I’d skip to go play Nintendo in my room.

I heard your rear end has its own congressman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually now that I think about it I hate that one and the meteor one and the Angel episode so basically any plot that revolves around an apocalyptic event ending all life in Springfield just seems completely devoid of humor to me.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Rosebud
Homer Loves Flanders
Homie the Clown
A Fish Called Selma
Homer Goes to College

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

That episode has one of my favorite Bart fantasies though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc7QGFX1Cgw

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

lisa being scared of the imaginary rag on a stick is great

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I wonder what the rag smells like haha :)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

That episode is packed with great moments. Ten more Iroquois Twists as the countdown to destruction :lol:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Marge vs the Monorail
Mr. Plow
You Only Move Twice
Lemon of Troy
Homer at the Bat

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Marge vs the Monorail
Mr. Plow
You Only Move Twice
Lemon of Troy
Homer at the Bat

10 times the list of any other list posted thus far

Some shameful lists up to this point. Real bleak poo poo.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Homer at the Bat
Lemon of Troy
Brother from Another Series
Lisa the Iconoclast
Marge vs. the Monorail

Honorable mention: Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in 'The Curse of the Flying Hellfish'

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I bring news from the Simpsons meme thread.

https://twitter.com/Joshstrangehill/status/1250204981589770240

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Only if you like puns generally because it starts earlier than you're probably thinking.

It was something that existed in most of the seasons, but it really only kicks into gear in Season 9. I guess it's only a thing to me when it becomes the sole naming convention later on.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 15, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Homer vs the 18th Amendment
Bart of Darkness
Lemon of Troy
You Only Move Twice
Bart Sells his Soul

You could ask me every five minutes and get a different list thought, the idea you could realistically prune it down to just five is insane. There are literally dozens of absolutely top tier episodes so at that point it's really just down to personal preference and what strikes your fancy at that particular moment

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh yeah now I've got Disney+ I've been watching some older episodes that I don't remember so well. One detail I liked in Dead Putting Society was Lisa joining in with making fun of Ned's apology letter to Homer (and Marge secretly laughing about it). The later episodes barely make them seem like they're in the same family but I like the reminders we have in earlier series that they're all Simpsons and therefore all trash to some extent.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah Marge and Lisa used to be much more mischievous - Lisa especially was often very bratty in the first 2-3 seasons. Their edges have definitely been rounded out as time has gone on, even in the golden years.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I just remembered the subplot in Brother from the Same Planet where Marge tries to empathise with Lisa's Corey addiction by saying how much she liked Bobby Sherman and Lisa just absolutely rips on her.

Oh man if I made a new list that episode would be in it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That sounds fuckin hilarious

"Three aces!"
"Four!"
:haw:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Marge vs. the Monorail has to be in my top 5, although I can't think of any other four without feeling like I'd be forgetting an episode.

For example, I recently watched Kamp Krusty and I loved it, but I can't just call it top five without doing further research and giving other episodes a chance.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
1. You Only Move Twice
2. Marge vs. The Monorail
3. Cape Feare
4. Treehouse of Horror V (Shining, time traveling toaster, cannibal school administrators)
5. 22 Short Films about Springfield

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The only episode from 3-8 I don't particularly care for is the cat burglar episode

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
How has nobody said "Last Exit To Springfield" yet? The power plant union episode that gave us "Dental Plan!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought we were doing ironic top five lists

e: VV See? How ironic

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 15, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Daikloktos posted:

The only episode from 3-8 I don't particularly care for is the cat burglar episode

IT APPEARS THAT THE CAT HAS BEEN CAPTURED BY THE VERY PERSON TRYING TO CATCH HIM.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

IT APPEARS THAT THE CAT HAS BEEN CAPTURED BY THE VERY PERSON TRYING TO CATCH HIM.

How ironic.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Take a left.....A LEFT

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That episode leans heavily on the viewer's knowledge of 60s movies

Which I had none of when I first saw it, and I thought it was great anyway

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Daikloktos posted:

But it gave us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC4B7B9AXms

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

"Asleep at the switch". I wasn't asleep! I was drunk!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The 138th Episode Spectacular, a clip show, is better than any episode in the past 20 seasons

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The 138th Episode Spectacular, a clip show, is better than any episode in the past 20 seasons

I think homer gets stupider every year

Marcus Elden
Apr 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikloktos posted:

:agreed:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Homer the Vigilante is a good episode, and anyone criticizing the best episode lists without posting one themselves = :thunk:

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

1. Cape Feare
2. Marge vs. the Monorail
3. I Love Lisa
4. Boy Scoutz 'n the Hood
5. Brother From the Same Planet

I could probably swap out #3-5, but I'm sure of my top two. I used to think Monorail was #1, but after watching Cape Feare, Jesus Christ. That episode is almost too funny. You get hit with an all-time gag like every three seconds. It's almost beyond belief.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Riptor posted:

I think homer gets stupider every year

Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each others heads open and feast on the goo inside?

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
There's a new interview with Al Jean on The AV Club today, which happens to touch upon the topic of favorite episodes:

quote:

AVC: Something you must hear about from fans just as often is their picks for the best episode ever. Which one comes up the most? I think I remember a Twitter poll from a while back that declared it was “Marge Vs. The Monorail.”

AJ: It’s great, because people have many different favorites. People love the first episode, the Christmas one. They love the Hank Scorpio episode. They love “Last Exit To Springfield.” People will have 10 best lists that have completely different items on them.

AVC: In addition to those opinions, you also have steady feedback from reviews. As a critic, I’m always curious about a creator’s or artist’s relationship with the way that their work is received. Do you look at reviews immediately after an episode goes up? How do you take in the criticism?

AJ: I do. I think it’s impossible for us to compete with our fourth-season selves. I also think if you took an episode from the fourth season and aired it now, it wouldn’t get the same reviews. Back then, when the fourth season was airing, I was there and people were sort of dismissive of it. I remember people going, “Oh, The Simpsons has gotten too silly. It’s lost its way. What’s this ‘Monorail’ show?” A lot of people didn’t like the “Monorail” show at first. And now you say, as I’ve heard, that people voted it the best ever. So I think you can judge relatively what episodes are better or worse based on what people react to now. But in terms of an all-time standard, it’s hard for me to be objective about that. We did just win the Outstanding Animated Series Emmy for “Mad About The Toy,” [in 2019] which I guess proves that if the standards of The Simpsons have fallen, so have the standards of the Emmys.

Here's the link to the full interview:

https://tv.avclub.com/al-jean-knows-which-simpsons-episodes-you-think-are-the-1842850866

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

No one put Lisa on Ice in their top 5 list? That's unpossible

Lisa on Ice
Cape Feare
You Only Move Twice
Treehouse of Horror V
Marge vs the Monorail

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

JfishPirate posted:

There's a new interview with Al Jean on The AV Club today, which happens to touch upon the topic of favorite episodes:

Here's the link to the full interview:

https://tv.avclub.com/al-jean-knows-which-simpsons-episodes-you-think-are-the-1842850866

He's not wrong to say that even the best episodes were getting poo poo on back in the Usenet or whatever was the big thing in the early 90's for Simpsons days.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

1. You Only Move Twice
2. Marge vs. The Monorail
3. Cape Feare
4. Treehouse of Horror V (Shining, time traveling toaster, cannibal school administrators)
5. 22 Short Films about Springfield

I can get on board with this list but

Eh! Frank posted:

How has nobody said "Last Exit To Springfield" yet? The power plant union episode that gave us "Dental Plan!"

This episode is a solid joke in nearly every line from start to finish. Not sure which one I'd swap out from the first list.

Maybe the treehouse one?? Best THoH but maybe keep it just normal episodes and that could be my top five.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Homer at the Bat
$pringfield
Flaming Moe’s
Itchy & Scratchy Land
Last Exit to Springfield

Honorable mention: Blood Feud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006