Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

movax posted:

If I was less lazy I'd post here friendship with 2600K ending, now 3960X is my new friend.

so many threads, so much RAM
...which 3960X? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nutsak posted:

It's certainly something I'd test. I'd honestly never thought to check each core. The issue I have when I think of upgrading my CPU is do I hold out for the Covid-19 stuff to end (potential price drops) and get a 10 series because of the new socket, or just bite the bullet and get a 9 series and hope I don't need to upgrade in the next couple of years.

If you insist on spending too much money on a casual gaming machine, then you get a Ryzen 3700X, otherwise you go for a 3600/X. Seeing that your target framerate is sub 60, there's little reason to spring for more than a 3600 for your uses.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K/4041vs2384

Out of curiosity, does your performance match up with these results well?
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/call_of_duty_warzone_pc_performance_review_and_optimisation_guide/8

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
Around about that yeah. My target framerate is over 120fps though, which is why I'm playing at 1080p. I bought a 4k screen that does 144hz because I could afford to at the time (yay tax returns). I play Overwatch at 115fps at 82% of 4k but that game is extremely forgiving.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm guilty of also thinking of the Sandy Bridge-E part, whoops

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This was painful but I did it.

Not sure why Win10 is reporting 0KB of L1. UI is responsive but apps are not. Every few seconds I get massive lag. Disabled Cortana and Realtime protection but still laggy in apps. Web is usable if only on 1 site at a time. Way worse than some flavor if linux that still runs on this for the same kind of usage.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 9, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What does cpuz say about the L1 cache?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

taqueso posted:

What does cpuz say about the L1 cache?

How does CPU-Z even report it tho? It's not like it probes the actual size right. The info just comes out of a table. I wonder if it has anything to do with the recent Intel vulnerabilities and this CPU being so old.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CPU-Z should be able to probe the actual size, x86 processors have a special CPUID instruction that lets software query information about the CPU including the cache layout.

(incidentally that's where the company that develops cpu-z got their name from)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well its not like the L1 is going to physically disappear or stop working. memtest says its still there. Here is CPU-Z

I'm still wondering if windows is blocking it or something because exploits.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

This is interesting: Gamers Nexus smuggled one of the Cyrix/Centaur/VIA/Zhaoxin x86 systems out of China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DanhnASClQ

Edit: but this is one of the old VIA Nano designs, not the new microarchitecture :(

Tomshardware got a dev motherboard and current gen chip, a KX-U6780A

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/zhaoxin-kx-u6780a-x86-cpu-tested

Seems like they've made good strides but not caught up to AMD as they were claiming they would. Maybe next generation with the KX-7000 series.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Whoops — Threadripper!

Also — TIL 2600K is apparently too old for the fun Zoom backgrounds. No AVX2 / HNI, based on Zoom's requirement for >= 4th gen Core.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

I'm guilty of also thinking of the Sandy Bridge-E part, whoops

I too thought this. My 1660v1 is technically a SB-E 3960X :v:

Shaocaholica posted:

This was painful but I did it.

Not sure why Win10 is reporting 0KB of L1. UI is responsive but apps are not. Every few seconds I get massive lag. Disabled Cortana and Realtime protection but still laggy in apps. Web is usable if only on 1 site at a time. Way worse than some flavor if linux that still runs on this for the same kind of usage.

No way to shove another GB of RAM in that thing? I bet the CPU can handle 10 but the ram limit is possibly holding things back, especially since it's probably really slow ram to boot so hopefully dual channel too.

Still impressive. I can run 10 just fine on a Centrino Duo 32bit laptop from 2005 just fine, but soemthing that changed in 1703 borka the PCMCIA bus and breaks everything else connect to that bus every time there is a major OS update. Disabled everything works fine, but when it's enabled everything goes to crap and it sucks because when it works, it works perfectly fine.

Thanks MS and your beta OS forever.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

EdEddnEddy posted:

I too thought this. My 1660v1 is technically a SB-E 3960X :v:

No way to shove another GB of RAM in that thing? I bet the CPU can handle 10 but the ram limit is possibly holding things back, especially since it's probably really slow ram to boot so hopefully dual channel too.

Still impressive. I can run 10 just fine on a Centrino Duo 32bit laptop from 2005 just fine, but soemthing that changed in 1703 borka the PCMCIA bus and breaks everything else connect to that bus every time there is a major OS update. Disabled everything works fine, but when it's enabled everything goes to crap and it sucks because when it works, it works perfectly fine.

Thanks MS and your beta OS forever.

Nah ram is maxed on it. UI is pretty fast but in apps its lag city. 10 sec of fine and then 20 sec of hang repeat. Disabled most everything including antivirus.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm still (occasionally) running Win10 on a circa 2009 single core AMD netbook, but I'm pretty sure that's at least 64-bit and I was able to put 4 GB RAM in it. Been considering popping an orphaned SSD in it but :effort:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My parents are currently using a T61 Thinkpad with a Core Duo something or other. It's surprisingly usable, for basic stuff like office, skyping or browsing sites with not too much JS garbage. I think it might even still be at 2GB, which would definitely be the biggest issue. I really should try to ebay some more RAM for them. Software-wise, the only issue seems to be with the Intel WiFi driver which is officially unsupported, but mostly works ok and occasionally glitches out and fails to connect.

In other news, the new 4-series ryzens are pretty scary

That's a mobile part :stonklol:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-ryzen-7nm-mobile-is-here-and-its-awesome/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mobby_6kl posted:

My parents are currently using a T61 Thinkpad with a Core Duo something or other. It's surprisingly usable, for basic stuff like office, skyping or browsing sites with not too much JS garbage. I think it might even still be at 2GB, which would definitely be the biggest issue. I really should try to ebay some more RAM for them. Software-wise, the only issue seems to be with the Intel WiFi driver which is officially unsupported, but mostly works ok and occasionally glitches out and fails to connect.

In other news, the new 4-series ryzens are pretty scary

That's a mobile part :stonklol:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-ryzen-7nm-mobile-is-here-and-its-awesome/

The thinkpad maintenance motto: Don't forget to remind your loved ones that if the fans are going all top gun it's time to schedule a geek squad appointment. Also, if the adapter shocks you, please contact an authorized family member immediately for repair/replacement. Things like keyboards and bricks can be replaced.

AMD/TSMC have managed to take a node on Intel, and theirs is evidently still a bit better. The mobile performance is pretty loving fantastic. I hope they can get some gemini lake type SKUs out. 7nm is a gamechanger for mobile.

Gimmie dat soldered down NUC-form-factor board that can be passively cooled though. Like the Akasa Galactico or poo poo. Giant high-performance passive poo poo. But AMD

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The thinkpad maintenance motto: Don't forget to remind your loved ones that if the fans are going all top gun it's time to schedule a geek squad appointment. Also, if the adapter shocks you, please contact an authorized family member immediately for repair/replacement. Things like keyboards and bricks can be replaced.

AMD/TSMC have managed to take a node on Intel, and theirs is evidently still a bit better. The mobile performance is pretty loving fantastic. I hope they can get some gemini lake type SKUs out. 7nm is a gamechanger for mobile.

Gimmie dat soldered down NUC-form-factor board that can be passively cooled though. Like the Akasa Galactico or poo poo. Giant high-performance passive poo poo. But AMD

I run my main PC passively cooled.

GTX1060

http://imgur.com/a/UthE5ci

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wet_goods posted:

GTX1060

This is super cool. What case? Stock clocks, underclocked, or overclocked?

I’d love to do that but reviews of recent Intel stuff shows pretty dang high wattage under load.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wet_goods posted:

GTX1060

Can it run continuously at full load without thermal throttling? Asking for my server that I wanna build.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Twerk from Home posted:

This is super cool. What case? Stock clocks, underclocked, or overclocked?

I’d love to do that but reviews of recent Intel stuff shows pretty dang high wattage under load.

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-h5-fanless-computer-case.html

This is the PC build I went with. I run everything at stock speeds, no throttle. It works pretty well but doesn't quite pull off 4k at really high frame rates, it depends on the game, but to me it's worth it, I had wanted to build a fanless pc for a really long time and it is so worth it.

CPU
Core i7 8700K
GPU EVGA GTX1060 6GB
MB Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming WIFI
RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory Kit Model CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E1T0BW
PSU Seasonic Flagship PRIME 600 Titanium Fanless SSR-600TL 600W 80+ Titanium Full Mo

Case HDPLEX 2nd gen H5 with riser and GPU cooler

I took a picture when I turned it on the first time because I thought it could be the last time I ever did, I had a fire extinguisher behind me.

http://imgur.com/a/SRvqHM2

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 11, 2020

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

wet_goods posted:

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-h5-fanless-computer-case.html

This is the PC build I went with. I run everything at stock speeds, no throttle. It works pretty well but doesn't quite pull off 4k at really high frame rates, it depends on the game, but to me it's worth it, I had wanted to build a fanless pc for a really long time and it is so worth it.

CPU
Core i7 8700K
GPU EVGA GTX1060 6GB
MB Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming WIFI
RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory Kit Model CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E1T0BW
PSU Seasonic Flagship PRIME 600 Titanium Fanless SSR-600TL 600W 80+ Titanium Full Mo

Case HDPLEX 2nd gen H5 with riser and GPU cooler

I took a picture when I turned it on the first time because I thought it could be the last time I ever did, I had a fire extinguisher behind me. The case had a few quirks with alignment issues, most notably the power supply which I had to make a custom bracket for. HD Plex offers a PSU but it's like 400W. The Seasonic that I found was the biggest PSU that I could find without a fan.

http://imgur.com/a/SRvqHM2

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

oh hell yes someone finally built in one of those. that has been a dream of mine for like 20 years, ever since living in a dorm room with an insanely loud ~gaming rig~ of the era.

im surprised you got that (rad) seasonic PSU in there, i didn't think they supported ATX supplies.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Cygni posted:

oh hell yes someone finally built in one of those. that has been a dream of mine for like 20 years, ever since living in a dorm room with an insanely loud ~gaming rig~ of the era.

im surprised you got that (rad) seasonic PSU in there, i didn't think they supported ATX supplies.

Yeah, if you look closely it's slightly askew because the screw holes didn't line up quite right, hence the custom bracket I made to hold it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it always possible to run the fastest jedec spec in a system that supports the lowest jedec spec? Like DDR3-2133 in a DDR3-800 system? I’ve only ever gone 2 levels down. This example would be 5 levels down.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Paul MaudDib posted:

Gimmie dat soldered down NUC-form-factor board that can be passively cooled though. Like the Akasa Galactico or poo poo.

Same, I want.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it always possible to run the fastest jedec spec in a system that supports the lowest jedec spec? Like DDR3-2133 in a DDR3-800 system? I’ve only ever gone 2 levels down. This example would be 5 levels down.

If you mean can you put DDR3-2133 RAM in a motherboard that only supports DDR3-800, and have it run at DDR3-800, yes, it should be able to. It obviously won't run any faster than what the motherboard can support, though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DrDork posted:

If you mean can you put DDR3-2133 RAM in a motherboard that only supports DDR3-800, and have it run at DDR3-800, yes, it should be able to. It obviously won't run any faster than what the motherboard can support, though.

Cool thanks.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Nah ram is maxed on it. UI is pretty fast but in apps its lag city. 10 sec of fine and then 20 sec of hang repeat. Disabled most everything including antivirus.

What puzzles me is the Lag you're getting between fine bits. It sounds to me like something is actively hanging it between task.

Possibly that IDE to MSata adapter could be causing some grief.

If you have a normal IDE drive to boot off of it might be worth a test to just see how it runs once things calm down on the normal drive.

Seems like it should run fine with lag only when it's loading or doing something that uses the CPU hard. Outside of that, if it's not caching from ram all that much, it should be perfectly fine even with that CPU.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It’s fine in XP IIRC and current lightweight Linux is a breeze. It’s def something Win10 specific. Win7 with all the updates had some lag too but I nuked that before I could test it further. I’m going to keep the Win10 install around for testing but this thing will just get Linux for actual use.

eames
May 9, 2009

Igors Lab found some Comet Lake leaks.

PL1 170W, PL2 224W on a i9-10900F with 65W advertised TDP and that’s not even the top end -K SKU.
Clearly there’s not a lot left in 14nm, though I almost can’t believe that Intel (or the motherboard vendors) would ship these numbers as the default settings.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really have a perspective on how demanding those kinds of numbers are: if you were going to air-cool something like that, what would you be using?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't really have a perspective on how demanding those kinds of numbers are: if you were going to air-cool something like that, what would you be using?

Babyhead coolers. Noctua NH-D15, Dark Rock Pro 4, etc.

If you really want to do them justice then you can send it off to Silicon Lottery and have them delidded and lapped for like $60, which seems worth it to me vs trying to do it yourself on a soldered processor. Or, you can run it bare-die with a direct die cooling frame like der8auer or Ice Man Cooling make.

There is only so much you can do without delidding, you just can’t move the heat out of the die fast enough regardless of the cooling that’s on top. But delidded you can probably still get most chips to 5 GHz with enough voltage.

It doesn’t really make too much sense to do heroic measures at this stage of the game though. Zen3 will probably match or beat this per-core performance in September, with more cores, without needing to delid to keep thermals under control. Rocket Lake will hopefully surpass this at least mildly, with a higher-IPC lower-clocked approach too, at the end of the year. This really is (a) not something that anyone was really dying for, like okay it’s two more cores but AMD still wins the core count war and thermals are going to be a mess, and (b) about 7 months later than it should have been.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

eames posted:

PL1 170W, PL2 224W on a i9-10900F with 65W advertised TDP and that’s not even the top end -K SKU.
Clearly there’s not a lot left in 14nm, though I almost can’t believe that Intel (or the motherboard vendors) would ship these numbers as the default settings.

the return of prescott!! ... which topped out 100W lmao

eames
May 9, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

The power consumption numbers are quite similar to the "special edition" 9900KS.

It can be air cooled with any of the better air coolers, particularly since the Die size is larger so you have more area to dissipate the heat from, but these are very high numbers for what was historically a relatively efficient (non-K, fixed multiplier) part of their lineup.

One can only assume that the top end -K model will have very little overclocking headroom or extreme power consumption (>300W), or both.
It does at least explain the new socket, though my understanding is that Rocket Lake will need a new chipset again?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eames posted:

Being stuck at 14nm isn't the real problem. The real problem is the Skylake uarch entering its 6th year of production along with a neverending bucket list of security vulnerabilities.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Production versions of those weird Ghost Canyon NUCs with the "compute element" PCIe card design are out with reviewers. Where my SFF/ITX heads at!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCoLJeUbZTc

I'm still confused as to why the compute element itself isn't rotated to draw cool air in through the mesh side panel. The back-to-back config seems to work well in the Corsair One and NZXT H1, definitely better than the back-to-front in this NUC or the Phanteks Evolv Shift.

It doesnt seem to suffer from it at all I guess, but rotating it would let them use basically any CPU in the stack instead of just 45w mobile parts.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK I can't figure out why it fits into a PCIe slot. What does it do in conjunction with the host machine?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

AlternateAccount posted:

OK I can't figure out why it fits into a PCIe slot. What does it do in conjunction with the host machine?

It’s really for SFF computers with 2 slot backplanes one for this acting as the root complex and another for a GPU.

There could also be solutions where these are plugged into a pcie backplane/switch for multi host configurations but that would be getting fancy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AlternateAccount posted:

It is the host machine. They basically inverted the regular PCIe 16x slot on an ITX board into an edge connector that lets you plug into a backplane/daughter board and break the 16x PCIe lanes up. In this case, a NVMe slot and a PCIe 16x (physical) slot for a GPU. As to why you would do that, it makes it easier to cram everything in a tiny form factor while still having relatively normal GPU support.

Like priznat said, you could also theoretically do things with plugging the "compute unit" into a host machine and doing weird/fun things that way, which is still fairly common in the server world with FPGA accelerator boards and such but hasn't been common in the home space since... like the 386 days? But as of right now, intel isnt talking about that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021