Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kaal posted:

I have the feeling that the upcoming LoL update is going to do this on a mass scale. Usually I tend to reserve judgment until after a patch hits, but everything about it seems bad. If I wanted to play League, I have it installed and I can already do that. The constant push for players to only team fight is upending hero balance, massively simplifying the game, and ensuring that matches just come down to team coordination during objective fights. The Tassadar rework removes anything interesting about the hero. The slight Xul nerf indicates a fundamental misunderstanding about the game balance, and promises the same kind of useless dragged out "adjustments" that DW has gotten while dominating matches for months. The buffed cores seem neat thematically but the last thing this game needs is to drag out the endings. The entire Nexus theme has always looked like junk to me, and these skins are no different in that respect. The silent adoption of the XP orbs anomaly only confirmed what everyone knew - that these "anomalies" are as permanent as they are unpopular. I don't want to be relentlessly negative about the game, but I simply don't understand where the devs are coming from at all - whatever game they're building seems to have little to do with what actually attracted me to it.

Even the out-of-game updates are frustrating for me. The US Region changes seem to only promise worse ping in a game that has been suffering from connection issues ever since the pandemic hit the US. The favorite talent trees seem moderately useful, but also will guarantee that teammates will stop adjusting their talent choices based on the actual game they are playing in. The AI update basically represents a white flag being displayed on the part of the devs - if the bots are so bad that they're better off standing in base, then just give the other players stat bumps or end the match. The Storm League changes are QoL improvements for the affected players, but I assume that the match-maker will be completely unable to balance them.

blizzard has suffered massive turnover due to low wages and constant crunch since WoW got popular and as a result the original vision for HOTS is merely a memory because the original team is also a memory

the remaining staff are likely DotA/LoL rejects that got hired on after the fact and are just making what they know

Kith fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Didn't get a chance to play today, but Tass rebuild seems pretty cool. I am really excited about the "chain lightning" style autoattack being a level 1 quest to unlock instead of a lvl 20 talent. If you swap lanes a lot to complete the quest early, you can have it ready by the first objective/teamfight.

I will miss his powerful split push psionic storm build. If you were playing a map with 2 very close lanes, you could complete the psionic storm quest for larger AoE and 20% more damage very early by just swapping lanes each wave and dropping psi storm on the minions really loving fast.

Will also miss taking the increased lifesteal shield talent, and throwing it onto a murdermeat AA hero like Jimmy, Zul'jin, Tracer, or a fed Butcher. Insane burst heals as long as your target wasn't just running in circles and not attacking anything...

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

WITCHCRAFT posted:

as long as your target wasn't just running in circles and not attacking anything...

plz don’t QM shame me tia

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
oh they didn't patch yesterday. i saw the tass rework video and thought it was live

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

dunno why they even bother with the PTR anyway

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I tried the Tass rework out. But since it was PTR and no one else was apparently playing, so it was me alone in a game with 9 AI it wasn't great fun. That said I got far enough that I was able to complete the level 1 quest to get the beam to spread to two additional targets.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

As far as I can tell, the point of Beam Brain build is to just hit everything for middling damage and apply Slows forever. Which, while fun, isn't really... useful? Psi Storm is primarily good for siege and waveclear, so speccing into that is a waste of time because the only thing that matters anymore is teamfights. Shock Ray deals really decent damage, especially with the quest done, and it seems to have the strongest Talents out of the three. I guess Tassadar is a skillshot hero now.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kith posted:

As far as I can tell, the point of Beam Brain build is to just hit everything for middling damage and apply Slows forever. Which, while fun, isn't really... useful?

Seems like a good way for me to pad numbers in AI matches and then gloat "lol top hero damage as Tass lmao" on the score screen. I already do this with his current autoattack build, so as long as it's on par with that I'm happy.

Maybe my brain is broken from all the years of Dota, but I love all the talents that give you an improved autoattack. Tassadar's beam quest, Blaze's gauntlets, Mephisto's shard of hate, Ana's vampiric rounds... It's the HotS equivalent of getting an "orb effect" item.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Seems like a good way for me to pad numbers in AI matches and then gloat "lol top hero damage as Tass lmao" on the score screen. I already do this with his current autoattack build, so as long as it's on par with that I'm happy.

Maybe my brain is broken from all the years of Dota, but I love all the talents that give you an improved autoattack. Tassadar's beam quest, Blaze's gauntlets, Mephisto's shard of hate, Ana's vampiric rounds... It's the HotS equivalent of getting an "orb effect" item.

Tass is considered an Assassin now, so gloating that you're top damage as Tass is just gloating that you're top damage.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

SirSamVimes posted:

Tass is considered an Assassin now, so gloating that you're top damage as Tass is just gloating that you're top damage.

If I want to be smug with a support hero's DPS I still have TLV, Abathur, or Zarya to top charts with. Old Tassadar was harder to top charts compared to those, and garnered more post-game upvotes when I played Tass right.

I think vs AI the new Tassadar autoattack build is going to be top tier for siege and hero damage. On par with a really tightly played Valla, Li-Ming, or Gul'Daniel. The raw max possible DPS is very high, and AI matches are where you can actually play a hero to their max possible DPS.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Err but why would dps matter in vs ai?

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
You can essentially chump ai through almost any means, can't you? With low hero dps, just do camps or lane? That said, it's been way too long since my last ai game, I might be way off target.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Wow they just keep extending the downtime maintenance by an hour every hour.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Grei Skuring posted:

You can essentially chump ai through almost any means, can't you? With low hero dps, just do camps or lane? That said, it's been way too long since my last ai game, I might be way off target.
Generally, yes, winning should be absolutely trivial. I've lost four AI matches out of 100+ and I will never forget them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

No Wave posted:

Generally, yes, winning should be absolutely trivial. I've lost four AI matches out of 100+ and I will never forget them.

Yep. It's been months since I last played, but even back when I did, I mostly just stuck to playing AI, and unless you had someone on your team deliberately going out of their way to throw the game, it's almost impossible to lose against the AI.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I play vs Elite AI and the games seem to get closer lately with the reduced player base and skill. Maybe?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The Elite AI has only gotten worse over the years, but even still it's entirely possible to lose if your team is incompetent and your hero isn't a carry. The computer isn't so terrible that Morales can win a 1v5 against them.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Loosing in AI is basically just the RNG Gods decide to make an example of you by placing you in a group of really new/bad players with the most ridiculously bad comp vs. the most godly AI comp imaginable, then add in one guy trying to solo the clump of AI at objectives, over and over... sprinkle in some lane always empty, and that's basically the recipe of a snowball loss.

Notable AI include: Ana (a Godly never miss healer and perfect map awareness/you will probably get sniped), Kel'Thuzad (chain your rear end into death combo, unavoidable sometimes), Azmodan (another perfect map awareness dude who likes dunking on low healths from across the map), Stitches (Can be pretty good with his hook, into towers, through walls, etc.), Aba (perfect map awareness, creeps are now a hazard), Brightwing (perfect timing with his polly, boy do I hate playing as Zarya vs. AI Brightwing, no fun allowed I guess), Genji (another good at sniping low health players), Gul'dan (not even a good AI, just a really mean lane bully that some heroes can't deal with.)

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
It's so obvious that people don't read patch notes at all. They continue to dive under forts and keeps and seem surprised when they get blown up in an instant.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I had a group a couple of hours ago ask me if I could do more shielding as Tassadar. They were very surprised to find out he can't do that anymore.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
This new update is just loving awful.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
This current update is increasing average game length by quite a bit on maps where obj does not take down the core for you. I just had my longest game of all time, a little over 46 min. The cores special attacks along with forts attacking you make it very difficult to take down keeps and the core with certain comps that you can get in QM.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

"One of the biggest features of HOTS is its quick matches. Oh by the way we're going to introduce mechanics that significantly increase match length on average."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kith posted:

"One of the biggest features of HOTS is its quick matches. Oh by the way we're going to introduce mechanics that significantly increase match length on average."
They also said they didn’t want players to have to study to learn the game, and now they have like 20 maps with varying elements.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Shoulda spent the time on the D.Va rework.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Dark Nexus loot boxes use the same model as the Lunar Festival, as well as the same opening noise and the same icon in your loadout.

And the problem with core fights is less their new attacks and more that they focus you if you attack an enemy hero near them and continue focusing you even after you stop attacking. Had a game that was won at the 25 minute mark but got pushed back to 30 because we couldn't defend ourselves against surviving heroes and deal with the core damage at the same time.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 15, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Err but why would dps matter in vs ai?

make number go up

make you number glow

get the blue fire on you HUD

get MVP

???

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I’ve played around 8-10 matches with the new patch, most of them QM but some ranked as well, and haven’t really noticed matches being longer. I have no doubt that the longest of matches will be even longer now but I doubt the general game time will increase that much. Granted ten games aren’t that many but I’ve seen similar experiences on Reddit.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Dragon Knight's death explosion almost guarantees that you'll die to any nearby buildings if it damages an enemy Hero. It's really cool how the tower changes didn't fully take into account the core mechanic of one of the original battlefields.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Err there’s a death explosion? Like when the dragon knight times out?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Yeah, it explodes and I think does a small knockback when it dies. Maybe when it times out too, I'm not sure. I always figured this was to help people dropping out of it have a chance to not be completely surrounded.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kith posted:

The Dragon Knight's death explosion almost guarantees that you'll die to any nearby buildings if it damages an enemy Hero. It's really cool how the tower changes didn't fully take into account the core mechanic of one of the original battlefields.

the biggest gameplay change I've noticed since the patch is how diving into enemy turf is now a pass/fail instead of "maybe it's worth it? let's try"

if your hero doesn't have some kind of disjoint or physical evade/armor, diving into enemy building range for a kill is a terrible choice, you need to be dead sure you can kill them FAST

I do like the buildings giving -armor debuff instead of slows. It feels way less annoying, but is more dangerous. Getting slowed and seeing an enemy hero limp away at 3% health and normal walk speed was frustrating.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yep, part of the Rubble Maker trait:
"Damage dealt to structures is doubled. Damage received from structures is reduced by 60%. The Dragon Knight explodes on death, dealing damage and knocking back nearby enemies."

Super useful for getting the attention of forts and keeps after the Dragon Knight ends, especially with how you're probably within melee range of said forts and keeps.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Are there any preferred sites for quick reference QM builds these days? Is icy veins still good? Was it ever?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Icy veins is quite bad. I’d check out https://www.heroesfire.com/ or https://heroeshearth.com/ for guides or you can see the win rates on various builds on https://heroesprofile.com/

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Smashed my Medivh quest speed last night, shaving it from 2:43 down to 1:51. Don't think I'm gonna top that any time soon, but getting to clown on people all game because it puts you so far ahead is... uh, it's good.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I wish I was better at Medivh and that he was more viable at my scrub level because the plays he enables are so cool.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Shockeh posted:

Smashed my Medivh quest speed last night, shaving it from 2:43 down to 1:51. Don't think I'm gonna top that any time soon, but getting to clown on people all game because it puts you so far ahead is... uh, it's good.

What's your medivh build? I never play him but thinking about playing him

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

What's your medivh build? I never play him but thinking about playing him

gently caress, I went & read the Icy Veins article looking for them to paste here, and that guide is amazingly NOT right.

Anyway...

1 - Winds of Celerity.Your main spell (Q) should be free anyway, because you're not missing people, yeah? And Portal Mastery actively hates you, because it means you have an extra click to make when you're panic Portaling out.
4 - Dust of Appearance. There's almost always a Stealth hero anyway, and the passive vision distance is great for one of your main purposes (Making them totally unable to have any map awareness), so... yeah. I've played with the other two, it's really a YMMV here.
7 - Arcane Explosion. Go wild. All three are good, it's really down to your preference, but it's another source of damage, and it can get really high if you intentionally drop into a clusterfuck and insta-W yourself.
10 - Ley Line Seal. Poly Bomb is a good talent, but Ley Line Seal lets you steal bosses, or gently caress over ganks, and it provides access to Medivh Cheats! which is incredibly satisfying to do.
13 - Reabsorption. This is where the guide goes SUPER wrong. Medivh is not a Support - He's an Assassin in the wrong category. Know who W is for? YOU.
16 - Arcane Charge. Don't miss. Q people all day. Enjoy topping every DPS chart.
20 - Medivh Cheats!. Depending on how we're going, I'll sometimes take Guardian of Tirisfal. Top tier reason - Time Stopped heroes don't count for objectives. Drop in just as the Boss they're doing dies, Time Stop everyone, steal the boss, Alt-W, E, Z out.

To be honest, Medivh has talent options at most tiers, but I basically play him as DPS, so I build pretty greedy. The thing you need to get really quick at is Alt-W, E, Click across a wall, Click local portal. Z Once you can do that reliably, without a displacement attack (e.g. Diablo shove) you're now completely unkillable. Bonus points for using Portal to go across a barrier, having their Illidan The Hunt you, then using the same Portal to go back.

E: Quoting that lovely Icy Veins article:

quote:

Medivh does not have any natural counters per se, however, he is generally susceptible to damage over time. Poison damage continues to tick after Force of Will Icon Force of Will expires and as such the ability loses some of its value.
See this? Wrong. Damage over time abilities do not prevent mounting, and when in bird form he can't take damage, so the DoT does no damage. If you escape with a DoT on you, especially one that'll kill you, just mount. You can also use it to disjoint high damage things that take a while to reach you (Notably, Kael's Pyroblast should never kill you.)

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Always try to keep an eye on ability and ult timers that are relevant to you. Butcher should be greeted with his target at 100% health after a charge, likewise with illidan.
Try to harvest q hits at objectives early game.
Leyline seal can deflate a whole burst/melee focused combo. Consider targeting only a portion of their team, leaving heroes that cannot perform well on their own alone. Expect your team to understand what you're thinking (turn around and gently caress them up) for once in this game.