Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Nevets posted:

Yeah, the blade height shouldn't be moving on it's own after you've locked it in place. You mentioned it's vibrating, how much? The manual mentions excessive vibrations might be caused by the blade tilt not being locked in.

The blade tilt is definitely locked. I don't have any experience with table saws, but it doesn't feel like a significant vibration. Just sorta like what I'd expect from an operating saw.

Can't figure out how to embed imgur video so here's a link
https://imgur.com/BklEgZz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is the blade actually dropping or just the handwheel spinning? The blade should not drop and if it is I would follow up with the manufacturer. There are workarounds but if it’s a fairly new saw they should fix it. If it’s just the handwheel spinning, that’s annoying but tightening the screw that holds it on looks like it may help.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is the blade actually dropping or just the handwheel spinning? The blade should not drop and if it is I would follow up with the manufacturer. There are workarounds but if it’s a fairly new saw they should fix it. If it’s just the handwheel spinning, that’s annoying but tightening the screw that holds it on looks like it may help.

yeah, the blade is dropping. that's why i noticed the wheel was spinning.
I'll call their customer service number on monday.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

fart store posted:

The blade tilt is definitely locked. I don't have any experience with table saws, but it doesn't feel like a significant vibration. Just sorta like what I'd expect from an operating saw.

Can't figure out how to embed imgur video so here's a link
https://imgur.com/BklEgZz

Doesn't the red lever on the wheelshaft there, swing over to lock your setting? Because that's what it's for.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I need to open up one stud bay so I can penetrate facing the wall from the bottom and penetrate the top to install some conduit. I'm going to have pros drywall the whole room soon in the future.

What tool do I need to essentially plunge cut the drywall out? Perfect would be the ability to chalk a line and cut a vertical strip of the drywall out, centered on the framing members so that the later contractor can reinsert that piece and mud/tape over it. How should I avoid/deal with the drywall screws?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bonus question:

What is the magic name I need to search for this metal with two holes? My previous owner liked to use them as fastener shims for his hand-built fence because he didn't believe in the "measure twice, cut once" school.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Bracket?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hed posted:

What tool do I need to essentially plunge cut the drywall out?

Jab/pad saw if doing it by hand, oscillating multi-tool if you want something powered.

Hed posted:

Perfect would be the ability to chalk a line and cut a vertical strip of the drywall out, centered on the framing members so that the later contractor can reinsert that piece and mud/tape over it. How should I avoid/deal with the drywall screws?

A studfinder will, er, find the studs for you, and will often have metal detectors in them too, but a decent magnet will also do the job at finding screws for you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

I need to open up one stud bay so I can penetrate facing the wall from the bottom and penetrate the top to install some conduit. I'm going to have pros drywall the whole room soon in the future.

What tool do I need to essentially plunge cut the drywall out? Perfect would be the ability to chalk a line and cut a vertical strip of the drywall out, centered on the framing members so that the later contractor can reinsert that piece and mud/tape over it. How should I avoid/deal with the drywall screws?

Straightedge and a utility knife to cut drywall. Make multiple passes, to get through the paint/paper/plaster. The removed piece of drywall is waste; don't be afraid to break it into pieces while removing it.

Drywall screws...I don't actually know the correct answer here, but my inclination would be to break the drywall around the screws, then use some bolt cutters to cut the screws as flush as possible with the stud. I guess you could also use a pair of pliers to unscrew the screws (a screwdriver is out because the screwheads are full of paint), but that sounds tedious.

Wear a dust mask and goggles, keep the area clear, and have a vacuum ready; drywall demolition creates a godawful lot of dust.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hed posted:

Bonus question:

What is the magic name I need to search for this metal with two holes? My previous owner liked to use them as fastener shims for his hand-built fence because he didn't believe in the "measure twice, cut once" school.

Ja, strap or bracket. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Building-Hardware-Metal-Straps/N-5yc1vZaqta

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Straightedge and a utility knife to cut drywall. Make multiple passes, to get through the paint/paper/plaster. The removed piece of drywall is waste; don't be afraid to break it into pieces while removing it.

Drywall screws...I don't actually know the correct answer here, but my inclination would be to break the drywall around the screws, then use some bolt cutters to cut the screws as flush as possible with the stud. I guess you could also use a pair of pliers to unscrew the screws (a screwdriver is out because the screwheads are full of paint), but that sounds tedious.

Wear a dust mask and goggles, keep the area clear, and have a vacuum ready; drywall demolition creates a godawful lot of dust.
Nah, once you can visualize the screws, you just unscrew them. The paint and mud pops right out of the screwhead when you start poking it with your screwgun. I'd also say if you're cutting it out cleanly with a utility knife, you should be able to save the piece and pop it back in, versus buying a new sheet for a small scrap. But then, if he's having a professional repair it, they've probably got scraps on the truck anyways.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hed posted:

Bonus question:

'mending plate' is the magic phrase

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

PainterofCrap posted:

Doesn't the red lever on the wheelshaft there, swing over to lock your setting? Because that's what it's for.

No, the red lever only locks the bevel.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have some humidity damage on my bathrooms walls. I just repainted, but you can see the paint cracking (the brown was the previous paint). Is this just a matter of chipping away all the old layers of paint and then painting again, or could be there be any sort of damage to the walls? If so how would I know? It's been like this for years, though I never noticed it until someone pointed it out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I have some humidity damage on my bathrooms walls. I just repainted, but you can see the paint cracking (the brown was the previous paint). Is this just a matter of chipping away all the old layers of paint and then painting again, or could be there be any sort of damage to the walls? If so how would I know? It's been like this for years, though I never noticed it until someone pointed it out.

Test for lead, sand the surface until it's smooth, clean with TSP, two coats of primer, two coats of paint.

It looks like you didn't do enough prep before painting last time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

devicenull posted:

Test for lead, sand the surface until it's smooth, clean with TSP, two coats of primer, two coats of paint.

It looks like you didn't do enough prep before painting last time.

thanks - what's TSP?

can I just use a scraper to remove the paint instead

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 12, 2020

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My backyard has a makeshift fence the previous owner made out of cinder blocks and pallets. I want to replace it with something nicer, are those premade fence sections at Home Depot fine or should I look into something else?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

actionjackson posted:

thanks - what's TSP?

can I just use a scraper to remove the paint instead

It's a surface prep solution/degreaser

https://www.bhg.com/decorating/paint/how-tos/how-to-prep-paint/

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Toebone posted:

My backyard has a makeshift fence the previous owner made out of cinder blocks and pallets. I want to replace it with something nicer, are those premade fence sections at Home Depot fine or should I look into something else?
It's a broad question, in that they carry a lot of different types - But generally, yeah, they're fine. You get what you pay for though of course.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I bought a newly-constructed house, and two things have come up that I would like to ask this thread:

1) The Comcast guy had to route a coax cable through the siding, and he did not use a bushing or caulk. There's just a completely unprotected hole in the side of my house with a wire going through it. For the time being, I have taped a plastic bag around it to keep the rain off until I can come up with a permanent solution. Is silicone caulk good enough? I'd rather have something more aesthetically-pleasing like a bushing + caulk, but I think I would have to pull the wire out of the wall in order to attach a bushing, and I don't want to gently caress it up. Does anyone know of a bushing that can be attached once the wire is already in place? gently caress Comcast, by the way.

2) The microwave doubles as a vent hood, and it vents outside. The duct has a cover on it to prevent, I don't know, backflow of air and bird nests I suppose, and it flaps in the wind making this VERY audible banging sound at even the slightest breeze. It's driving us nuts. I've glued some soft material to it in an attempt to dampen the noise, but it's still loud. The duct cover is really a cheap POS (although the ones offered at Home Depot don't look any better). Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific type of duct cover they use that is not noisy in the wind?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
1) yes caulk, and yes gently caress Comcast. Though my understanding is that basically all cable installers (and satellite TV, etc.) are just looking to do their job as quickly and as easily as possible, aesthetics be damned. As an alternative to a bushing, you might paint the cable the same color as the wall, so it's less visible.

2) I'm not any kind of expert on this, but I wouldn't expect the kind of noise you describe from even cheap parts. The only covers I know of that move are the kind that rotate to face into the wind, so that stuff can't blow into the exhaust vent. Have you looked at the rotation mechanism? What's causing the movement? It might be a defective part, or it might just be installed incorrectly.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

2) I'm not any kind of expert on this, but I wouldn't expect the kind of noise you describe from even cheap parts. The only covers I know of that move are the kind that rotate to face into the wind, so that stuff can't blow into the exhaust vent. Have you looked at the rotation mechanism? What's causing the movement? It might be a defective part, or it might just be installed incorrectly.

There's no rotation mechanism. It's a 4" pipe with a metal cover on a basic hinge. If it helps to visualize it, it comes out of the side wall rather than the roof.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

2) I'm not any kind of expert on this, but I wouldn't expect the kind of noise you describe from even cheap parts.

FWIW I have this same issue with my hood vent, main floor bathroom vent and my mom's hood vent :shrug:

I'd be interested in any tips for reducing the noise.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LargeHadron posted:

I bought a newly-constructed house, and two things have come up that I would like to ask this thread:

1) The Comcast guy had to route a coax cable through the siding, and he did not use a bushing or caulk. There's just a completely unprotected hole in the side of my house with a wire going through it. For the time being, I have taped a plastic bag around it to keep the rain off until I can come up with a permanent solution. Is silicone caulk good enough?

Yes. You can use clear (it goes on white) or you can get flexible paintable caulk & touch it up to match. Typically, tey make the hole big enough for the coax only, not the fitting as well, so you;d have to spliace it to put a grommet on.

LargeHadron posted:

2) The microwave doubles as a vent hood, and it vents outside. The duct has a cover on it to prevent, I don't know, backflow of air and bird nests I suppose, and it flaps in the wind making this VERY audible banging sound at even the slightest breeze.

It depends on where it's mounted. If it's in the soffit (mounted horizontally) you can pull the cover off and see about substituting a generic cover (such as a Broan) but first install screening to keep wasps etc out. Most hardware stores sell a pre-made round screen that's easier to remove & claen or replace periodically.

It it's wall-mounted: depending on the wind exposure, you can do the same as with a soffit mount, or go with one with a different door style - though you will have to keep an eye on it to keep it clean so it doesn't stick open/closed

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

LargeHadron posted:

2) The microwave doubles as a vent hood, and it vents outside. The duct has a cover on it to prevent, I don't know, backflow of air and bird nests I suppose, and it flaps in the wind making this VERY audible banging sound at even the slightest breeze. It's driving us nuts. I've glued some soft material to it in an attempt to dampen the noise, but it's still loud. The duct cover is really a cheap POS (although the ones offered at Home Depot don't look any better). Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific type of duct cover they use that is not noisy in the wind?

I have some that look like this, and are quite new:

and exactly the same thing happens, and it's also driving me nuts.

My assumptions are
a) it's happening when there's a breeze through the house, probably from the open chimneys, i.e. the gusts of wind outside come into the house through some unwanted opening, and is exiting through the bathroom vents, pushing the flaps open with each gust and making noise as they close
b) it will go away when I (eventually) block up and/or put flue covers on the chimneys

If (b) turns out to be wrong then who fukken knows.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

LargeHadron posted:

1) The Comcast guy had to route a coax cable through the siding, and he did not use a bushing or caulk. There's just a completely unprotected hole in the side of my house with a wire going through it. For the time being, I have taped a plastic bag around it to keep the rain off until I can come up with a permanent solution. Is silicone caulk good enough? I'd rather have something more aesthetically-pleasing like a bushing + caulk, but I think I would have to pull the wire out of the wall in order to attach a bushing, and I don't want to gently caress it up. Does anyone know of a bushing that can be attached once the wire is already in place? gently caress Comcast, by the way.

Just caulk it, but don't use a 100% silicone. It's not paintable. Even if you don't care to paint over it now you don't want it to interfere whenever you get around to painting your exterior. An acrylic urethane would be your best bet.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The dark trim on my workshop is peeling in some areas. Plan is to scrape the paint, hose it down, let that dry, then repaint. I have some old paint left over from when I originally painted the workshop; it's pretty thick stuff now (I assume it's been very slowly drying in the can). Any reason why I shouldn't re-use it? I did a quick test and it still spreads, it's just kinda gooey.

It's only been ~5 years since I painted the trim in the first place, so I don't really expect to get a ton of life out of the replacement paint in any case. The trim in question is both getting afternoon sun, and also quite exposed to wind and rain. Other parts of the workshop are fine, and I originally painted everything altogether, so I'm inclined to blame exposure instead of a bad prior paint job in this case.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I’ve probably done it on this thread already, but I’d recommend Benjamin Moore Aura for exterior paint. It’s relatively expensive but nearly 3 years in on my house and even on the side with direct afternoon sun and rain/snow it looks more or less newly painted.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My point is that I already have the paint. I don't want to buy more.

(it's Behr Premium Plus Ultra, which when I bought it scored similarly to Sherwin-Williams, as I recall).

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

My assumptions are
a) it's happening when there's a breeze through the house, probably from the open chimneys, i.e. the gusts of wind outside come into the house through some unwanted opening, and is exiting through the bathroom vents, pushing the flaps open with each gust and making noise as they close
b) it will go away when I (eventually) block up and/or put flue covers on the chimneys

If (b) turns out to be wrong then who fukken knows.

I agree, and it's obviously due to some kind of pressure differential that allows the flap to blow up then clank shut. My over-the-range microwave hood actually has a metal flapper at the outlet in addition to the flap on the exterior vent so there's an extra chance of a clank.

I assume this is a builder-grade product issue, and there are better vents out there.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Hed posted:

An oscillating tool will make short work of drywall. You can use a keyhole saw as well, or a utility knife if you have a lot of time. If you're just going to replace the piece anyway, then make a small hole in between studs and enlarge it horizontally until you find the studs. You only want to take a drywall section out in once piece if you're going to be reusing it as the patch. Use a utility knife to cut away a bit of the drywall on top of the studs.

Ideally, you won't run into many screws or nails. Pull the nails with needlenose pliers. Unscrew the screws with a screw gun. You may need to dig out each cross on the screw with a utility knife first.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mr.belowaverage posted:

I assume this is a builder-grade product issue, and there are better vents out there.

Possibly, though the sparkies I had round generally put in good stuff.

Somewhat by their nature they need to react to light breezes from the inside, since that's how they open when the fan turns on, so the only thing I could think to reduce the issue directly would be a cover that closes more quietly (maybe soft closing?), or one that seals tight when unpowered. Other than that I think you gotta seal the house up more, or go with a fixed cover and deal with another way for the wind to get in.

The problem will also probably go down when I have internal doors fitted, though that doesn't help your kitchen vent much.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

My point is that I already have the paint. I don't want to buy more.

(it's Behr Premium Plus Ultra, which when I bought it scored similarly to Sherwin-Williams, as I recall).

If the smell didn't run you off when you opened the can then it should be fine to use. Mix in a bit of water to get the consistency back right and pour it through a strainer if needed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Sounds good, thank you!

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Possibly, though the sparkies I had round generally put in good stuff.

Somewhat by their nature they need to react to light breezes from the inside, since that's how they open when the fan turns on, so the only thing I could think to reduce the issue directly would be a cover that closes more quietly (maybe soft closing?), or one that seals tight when unpowered. Other than that I think you gotta seal the house up more, or go with a fixed cover and deal with another way for the wind to get in.

The problem will also probably go down when I have internal doors fitted, though that doesn't help your kitchen vent much.

I think even trades that install 'good' stuff use the basic off-the-shelf calibre. When you want really high-end, you need to specify it. Not to disparage your contractors or your home!

I definitely think there is some stiffer and/or soft-close options out there, but beyond the big box stores I'm not sure where to look, and not interested in in-depth Google sleuthing.

I am, however, now thinking of adding relays and solenoids that prime or release the vent flaps only when the appliance is powered. And maybe some thin foam tape on the contact edges.

As far as tightening up the houses; this is in the works for my disaster-mitigation home reno project but slowly. My house is 130+ years old, and my mom's is just over 100. They are not exactly 'tight'.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress :negative: how do I fix this?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is that a countertop? You can probably epoxy the chips back in, and maybe use some kind of putty + sanding to fill in the cracks? Or maybe you can get white epoxy (or white coloring for regular epoxy) and use that as the fill.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hi there DIY friends. I have a small TFR project I'm considering, but my questions are mostly wood related.

I want to install a small section of accessory rail onto the wooden forend of a lever action rifle so I can use a light on it. There are commercial options to replace the forend with metal or plastic with mounting points but I was hoping to keep the aesthetic and not spend the money.

I just want a reality check to see if this is feasible and maybe some suggestions.

If you aren't a gun person and don't know what I'm talking about, here's a picture. Basically I want to put the black bit of plastic on the front of the wood.

Like so: (I'll have to relieve the back to fit it over the barrel band)

However it's pretty thin. Like barely a quarter inch. The wood is "walnut" but I think it is stained birch.

My initial thought was to use wood screws and just epoxy the rail to the wood, with the epoxy doing most of the work. But the rail has to be easily and repeatably removable, and nothing can be proud of the wood once it's removed, because the barrel band which holds the handguard onto the gun has to slide past it. It doesn't need to hold zero or go back to exactly the same angle since it's just for a light.

So then I thought maybe tee nuts. But there isn't really room for me to hammer those in from the inside of the handguard or inlet the wood, and they probably need to be flush on the inside.

Then I thought, a brass threaded nut insert. Something like this?

The bolts that came with this thing are 10-24, I haven't been able to find an insert that's only 1/4" long that's meant for wood. I found one made for plastic, maybe I could epoxy it in? Or I could just cut down the length of one of the longer ones that's meant for wood so that it sits flush. I found a similar product that's made for this exact purpose, threaded 10-32 unfortunately but buying new screws is simple enough. Again though, these inserts are also 1/2" long.

Is this even worth pursuing or is the wood too thin?

Is there a minimum distance from the edge of the wood / the barrel band hole that you'd recommend I put my holes? I was going to assume at least the diameter of the hole away from any edges, is that enough space?

Is a threaded insert the way to go or should I revisit the tee nut or do something else altogether?

Thanks!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I'm confused. You want to mount your rail where the barrel band goes?

Do you have a picture of it assembled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah a full assembled mock up might help here. I would say can you relieve the plastic mount rather than the wood as that seems less of a permanent modification.