Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Outrail posted:

We went through a cleaning frenzy last week, I managed to spray bleach on an ill advised secondary cleaning agent and mustard gassed my bathroom so thanks for the reminder.

Sodium hypochlorite (the stuff in bleach, rest is water), makes Chlorine gas if you mix it with an acid (like vinegar).

I put my bare hand into a 25lt bucket of 12.5% Sodium hypochlorite (which is about as strong as it gets) to retrieve a bung spanner I'd dropped. I washed my hand, but blood still leaked out of all the pores on the back of my hand for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
My live plants just arrived. Really impressed by how well packed they were. I think I might have to buy some more.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Outrail posted:

We went through a cleaning frenzy last week, I managed to spray bleach on an ill advised secondary cleaning agent and mustard gassed my bathroom so thanks for the reminder.

wait I know from experience its super easy to accidentally make chlorine gas mixing bleach with anything too acidic but I gotta know what it was that mixed with it to make mustard gas bc otherwise I will almost certainly do this by accident

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

wait I know from experience its super easy to accidentally make chlorine gas mixing bleach with anything too acidic but I gotta know what it was that mixed with it to make mustard gas bc otherwise I will almost certainly do this by accident

Any cleaning product containing ammonia. A lot of floor cleaners still contain ammonia.

It produces chlorine gas, not mustard gas.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I haven't done this in years, how hard is it to find an ATM that you can deposit cash into?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lolie posted:

Any cleaning product containing ammonia. A lot of floor cleaners still contain ammonia.

Well poo poo, I always thought chlorine gas was mustard gas. Well I didn't make mustard gas, still not great to huff that poo poo in an enclosed environment.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I haven't done this in years, how hard is it to find an ATM that you can deposit cash into?

Not hard. I find the ATMs outside actual bank branches more often than not take cash deposits.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Just got an email stating there has been a sharp increase in youth gang violence in Brisbane CBD:

Heres the email with some info removed for anonymity, stay safe goons.

quote:

The [QPS officer at Brisbane CBD station] in charge has strongly advised us to use extreme caution and where possible, limit our presence within the CBD due to a significant increase of youth violence in the area.
In particular avoid the parking spaces underneath the overpass on turbot street (down from city edge), along George street, King George square and churches and parks in the vicinity.
He also advised Suncorp Plaza was a frequented place (which I think is on George street - from our return trip) and Kurilpa Bridge

He has advised us that recently there has been greater presence of these youth 'gangs' in the CBD area and since social interaction restrictions have been implemented these gangs have increased in number and so have the areas which they frequently loiter. The age range of these youth are approximately 12-16.
He advised they have also begun crossing over the bridges to the other side of the river (Kurilpa and into West End) and seem to be expanding their 'meeting areas' as there is no crowds or distractions to limit their movements.

He also explained that they often approach people as a single person or in pairs and then out of no where, you will be surrounded by 10 others. They have had reports where these children are using metal poles as weapons and injuring people in the area to take personal belongings such as phones, electronics, money etc.
He advised us to carry as little as possible on our person, as they have been targeting anyone in their path. He was pleased that we conduct outreach in pairs, however advised us that this doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent to them lately.

Please be very vigilant and aware of your surroundings at all times, particularly during night outreach.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

The_Continental posted:

Just got an email stating there has been a sharp increase in youth gang violence in Brisbane CBD:

Heres the email with some info removed for anonymity, stay safe goons.

Sure am glad I chose delivery, not click and collect from Target CBD.

I work in South Brisbane so this is a hoot.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Take away their scooters.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Couldn't possibly be as vicious as the Brisbane CBD/Southbank magpies *shudder*

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Lolie posted:

ya I've come to realise he's probably being euphemistic when he says mustard gas. sorry asio, i swear i was just trying to figure out how NOT to kill myself when I googled "how to make mustard gas"

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Now you arent supposed to use cash I built up so much cash. I could buy an oz without even going to the atm

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Curious how many pipe wielding 12 year olds I could take out before they knock me unconscious.

Its a scientific curiosity

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Once I got attacked by pipe kids and I was on the ground before I was aware of what was happening

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Calling you mister as they swarm all over you like a rash

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

to defeat a pipe kid, you just need to wait for their heavy attack and then counter

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
reminds me of this

https://twitter.com/9NewsGoldCoast/status/1110444869544116224

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

Those poor kids, their parents must be prize-winning feral dropkicks.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lolie posted:

My live plants just arrived. Really impressed by how well packed they were. I think I might have to buy some more.

What site did you order from?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

That'd be one of my mates if it's the ones that have decorative poo poo on the top of them. She only does one release a month and sells out in like 20mins every time.

Star crossed soapery? It's good stuff. Mrs loved hers

Also Kharnifex - see above

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Isaac posted:

Once I got attacked by pipe kids and I was on the ground before I was aware of what was happening

its kind of a weird sign of respect if they just lay into you from the get go instead of just asking you to give up your phone/sneakers

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

McSpergin posted:

Yeah that'd be the one. Her business has really taken off since she got tik tok famous then featured on buzzfeed

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
cooking leaf sucks

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Yeah that'd be the one. Her business has really taken off since she got tik tok famous then featured on buzzfeed

Yeh I found her thru tiktok lmao

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Man drinking and doing drugs all day everyday is way harder than it looks

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Inkfish posted:

Man drinking and doing drugs all day everyday is way harder than it looks

i can barely smoke dope every fuckin day, I can't imagine throwing piss in the mix right now tbh

I haven't had a drink in something like 2 weeks now, mostly bc all the booze around the house is absolute trash and makes me feel even worse somehow. Its a good system.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

McSpergin posted:

Thanks, my cousin runs a shop in the mountains and a co op, and is trying to support mountains business.
Man, these soaps are awesome.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

NPR Journalizard posted:

What site did you order from?

https://www.herbcottage.com.au

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Kharnifex posted:

Thanks, my cousin runs a shop in the mountains and a co op, and is trying to support mountains business.
Man, these soaps are awesome.

My girlfriend was getting quite a few of them early on to test before she started selling them to the public. If it’s the co-op shop set up I’m thinking of I know exactly which one it is.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I had the weirdest thing happen today. I was heading back to work and was approaching a roundabout. On the other side was a cop car starting to go around and not indicating it was going to turn in and go in front of me. I still came to a complete stop and the cops turned and stopped in the middle of the roundabout in front of me and just stared at me for about 30 seconds. If I hadn't stopped I have no doubt I would have hit them since they did not indicate.

Edit: lol just saw a news story on the tracking app the gov wants people to download. Yep, sure, right on that......

Raged fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 15, 2020

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Made some lacto ketchup and some pickled ginger and garlic (it'll get blended at some point in the future after it's fermented a bit)

Ketchup will be ready on Sunday and the ginger and garlic around a week

I didn't realise that cutting bulk ginger and garlic can lead to skin irritations though so that was fun, it was like I'd been slicing chilli

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Did some napkin maths and worked out that if Australia had the same rate of fatalities from covid-19 as NYC, we'd be sitting at over 31,000 at the moment.

Conversely, if NYC had the same death rate as Australia, they'd be standing at 22 to date.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Lolie posted:

Did some napkin maths and worked out that if Australia had the same rate of fatalities from covid-19 as NYC, we'd be sitting at over 31,000 at the moment.

Conversely, if NYC had the same death rate as Australia, they'd be standing at 22 to date.

Yeah their whole poo poo is just hosed beyond belief, NYC's mass graves are visable from space

Their social security right now is insane too

Like I was reading that some banks have been given authority to use the single $2000 check to pay debts

Like goddamn

How is this sustainable in any way ?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The cruelty is the point.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Rupert Murdochs mother was raped by an American airforce colonel in 1944.
This is all a complex revenge plot.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Today I processed invoice 69420

Noice

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Today I processed invoice 69420

Noice

Nice

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

Jestery posted:

Yeah their whole poo poo is just hosed beyond belief, NYC's mass graves are visable from space

Their social security right now is insane too

Like I was reading that some banks have been given authority to use the single $2000 check to pay debts

Like goddamn

How is this sustainable in any way ?

What this situation has made me realise is that as much as I do dislike our current government in Australia, at least there was a line which, once crossed, they would finally put partisanship aside and do something in a reasonably functional way to help the broader public in a time of crisis. I'm pretty cynical, and could easily focus on what hasn't been done, when things should have been done, and the government's motivations behind doing them. However its still a fact that right now the governments of Australia are collectively torpedoing the economy for the sake of keeping lots of people alive, and doing more than I ever would have hoped (not arguing it is enough, or perfect, or correctly timed or any of that) to support people during an insanely hosed up time.

The point I'm trying to make is that here in Australia there was a line where everyone would more or less finally sit down and start working together for the common good like adults. Our really quite stubborn, conservative, gently caress the poor, ideology over all government set that aside and pulled the trigger on an enormous welfare program when things got bad enough.

What has become apparent for our friends in the USA is that in their system, where it stands today, there is no such line. There is no point at which everyone will drop their partisan politics to do "the right thing" (or something close enough to the right thing to still be mostly useful.) There are mass graves in New York City and the focus still on seems to be on saving face during the daily press briefings, trying to score points against the opposing party, and trying to open things up as soon as possible to save the almighty dollar.

I am very glad to be living here right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

I am very glad to be living here right now.

Every time I'm tempted to be critical of our responses, a quick look at the numbers coming out of the US and the UK gives me a reality check.

We're doing well compared to the majority of other countries and I hope that realisation gives people the resolve to stick to the restrictions which underpin our success in the months ahead.