Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I dreamt I got fired for bullshit reasons from a job I don't have anymore, but it was still during the pandemic. Thanks, brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I dreamt I got fired for bullshit reasons from a job I don't have anymore, but it was still during the pandemic. Thanks, brain.

I really enjoy hosed up nightmares because it's like a free horror movie, but I've been dealing with a lot of stress dreams lately and it sucks. teeth falling out, cant find a place to poo poo, wife trying to badger me into a divorce. gently caress you brain - just have me trying to avoid getting killed by monsters again, dammit!

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

What'd the psychological consensus (if any) on dreams? I heard a while ago that it was basically "brain shits itself and we're not sure if it means anything" but if there are dreams associated with stress (ie. teeth falling out) then that means theres some relationship between the content of the dream and what the person is going through when they're awake

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

cool dance moves posted:

What'd the psychological consensus (if any) on dreams? I heard a while ago that it was basically "brain shits itself and we're not sure if it means anything" but if there are dreams associated with stress (ie. teeth falling out) then that means theres some relationship between the content of the dream and what the person is going through when they're awake

I have found no connection. To me dreams are just crazy mixed up brain soup with occasional snippets from my real life thrown in for seasoning.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

cool dance moves posted:

Dreams are a form of processing data too, iirc, and as all things involved with consciousness the ultimate answer is "loving self awareness how does it work??"

Dream analysis is most definitely a thing and has helped me loads in the past. If your brain keeps coming back to a specific image or situation, there's usually a reason. At least for me, it's always unrelated to the actual imagery and an encoded message about something that's bothering me deep inside.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

err posted:

I tried chatting on the Crisis line awhile back but there was a 40+ person queue to speak with someone.

I didn't end up talking to anyone.

The only time I ever tried one of those I got put on hold midway through and just hung up. If I'd been the slightest bit out of the pit that'd have been it, I was lucky to feel so lethargic I guess.

Because that way I got to live another decade to see everyone hide inside and be miserable like me :unsmith: normalcy at last!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Dreams are ultimately subjective tho so that makes it even more confusing!!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Eat This Glob posted:

I really enjoy hosed up nightmares because it's like a free horror movie, but I've been dealing with a lot of stress dreams lately and it sucks. teeth falling out, cant find a place to poo poo, wife trying to badger me into a divorce. gently caress you brain - just have me trying to avoid getting killed by monsters again, dammit!

I seem to have 100% reality-based stressful dreams which is super loving annoying. I even dreamt about telling my wife that I was fired.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The absolute worst nightmares I have are related to family, typically arguments with family that explode intro extreme emotionally charged unpleasantness.

One of the best changes in my dream experience was courtesy of a nightmare. The Alien (from the original movie) had often appeared in my scary dreams, but one night I recognized that the setting I was in was going to lead to it showing up. I was in an elevator and I knew that any moment it was going to come down through the ceiling.

Somehow I made it so that the doors opened, and I stepped out into a bright, daytime business plaza, the kind of setting where a monster would never show up. And I left the nightmare behind. After that I have had very few truly scary dreams, the kind that you wake up from with your heart pounding.

I also rarely have sex dreams. Maybe once in a year. I don't know if that's normal.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
My busted rear end sleep schedule has led to me remembering more dreams lately. Weirdest one recently was me picking at my face, trying to peel something, and then taking my entire lower lip off without any pain. Just came loose and I could clearly see my lower gum in the mirror. I freaked out, and kept peeling more and more soft tissue off of my face. It was probably my brain being like, "Hey dude don't touch your face" or "You haven't shaved for a while so I think there's something wrong, please fix."

I usually consider dreams to be like data processing or scenario building, but I remember them pretty rarely when I'm sleeping more regularly.

I used to have recurring nightmares when I was little. One was waking up to a Native American war cry, which was followed by a horde of monsters breaking through the living room door. This is probably racist somehow, but I was five. The second that I can remember was me being chased down the street by anthropomorphic cartoon dinosaurs.

got any sevens posted:

it made me more twitchy and i blunk a lot and ground my teeth a little more than usual, and i was on a low dose. didnt notice any good effects, but i was on sertraline at the time too

It's definitely helped me not feel dead inside as often. Still have the odd "poo poo's hosed and we're all gonna die so why bother" thoughts, but I'm able to set them aside more easily. This is my personal experience, though, and my doc did say this can have wildly different reactions in different people.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 05:54 on Apr 12, 2020

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I seem to have 100% reality-based stressful dreams which is super loving annoying. I even dreamt about telling my wife that I was fired.

those shame dreams suck

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

fyi these are basically just nightmares and it's p much the only kind of dream I've had for a good long bit now lmao. Thankfully, weed makes you stop dreaming thank god for weed

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I loving love it when I dream about a monster eating me or some poo poo at least it's novel and can't happen in real life

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

cool dance moves posted:

I do a bit of dreamwork and interpretation and I would say that dreams can vaguely be placed into two categories:

1) Dreams are the voice of our unconscious. In a boiled down sense items are placed into the unconscious because they are too difficult for the conscious mind to bare at the time. But even when these items are in the unconscious they still affect us (in the form of a Complex) and they need to be resolved so we can heal. The unconscious will produce a dream over and over until it is given enough attention that the item can be resolved. Simply attending to the dream can sometimes bring about healing.

2) Dreams are a window into the pool of ancestral memory, or trauma. Intergenerational trauma is transmitted from generation to generation through our epigenome and will remain there until someone attends to that trauma, healing not just themselves but their ancestors. It may sound outlandish at first, but you can google intergenerational trauma through holocaust survivors and their descendants and even more palpably, victims and survivors of slavery in the US. (Just an aside into my personal beliefs, black people have been disallowed that collective healing in the US due to US institutions and that's why that pain is still there. The Jews at least have Israel where cspam politics aside, there is a collective feeling of moving on and moving forward among Israelis.) Like the first category, here we are given the opportunity to heal the pain from our ancestors.

Now of course there can be overlap of the two categories if the thing that needs to be resolved is both something from your life or a trauma from your ancestry. For example maybe you struggle with alcohol but so did the entire paternal side of your family tree, that would satisfy both categories. And you are more likely to be an addict if your parents were. Same with the cycle of abuse that perpetuates intergenerationally. The question is, will you be the one to end the line of suffering and heal yourself and your ancestors?

There's a beautiful podcast I love called This Jungian Life and they do dream interpretations from patrons every ep. The end of this ep contains one of my favorite dream interpretations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmeubYPAzAY

thehandtruck has issued a correction as of 11:08 on Apr 12, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It's possible to build your ability to remember dreams. I have long, intricate dreams every single night after I spent a year keeping a journal I filled the moment I woke up

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Eat This Glob posted:

hey eat this glob, I'm writing a paper on dreams during the coronavirus and I've been pawing around cspam using search to look for trends and stuff. I recognized your username from a dream you posted about in september

Eat This Glob posted:

I had a dream a couple weeks back where I was dying. Not self harm or anything- but it was first-person, where I was looking out and I saw the darkness encircling my vision and it kind of hurt, but I thought to myself "you've been waiting for this for decades. You better enjoy it and take it all in."

that dream is gonna stick with me and gently caress my month up. my ideation is down to near zero at this point now that my meds have been dialed in, and even though it wasnt self harm, still disconcerting. fuckin' rear end in a top hat brain

seems weirdly in tune with the vibe of the world now, like you were pre-consciously anticipating it.

not that you're gonna kick it or anything; it's just that there's a couple goons right around then also dreaming about death and stuff. According to one of Jung's students: "The death of a dreamer in dreams means a radical, complete change where nothing of the old person or the old attitude is left. So if one dreams of being killed, executed, or shot or hanged or whatever the form of death, it always points to the coming of a radical change." Sounds about right imo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

cool dance moves posted:

Dreams are basically memory soup. There's no such thing as a glossary or translation guide to dreams because it's all 100% the product of your own mind and experiences, but it can be useful to ask "okay why does X stand out so prominently / keep recurring" if you can look at it and determine that it means something to you.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I like the ol' jungian trick where you don't analyze the specific image quite so much as you focus on how you were feeling, emotionally, during it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tried to go outside for the first time in a month to a trail that's usually abandoned and it was packed with people spitting and mouth breathing and hanging out with people that they didn't live with. Had to turn around and go back to my tiny studio apartment where I'm going insane with my wife.

This really hosed me up mentally. We can't do another six months of this and there's a good chance I'd die if I get the roni.

We literally moved across the world for good outdoor weather year round. :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dick Trauma posted:

The absolute worst nightmares I have are related to family, typically arguments with family that explode intro extreme emotionally charged unpleasantness.

One of the best changes in my dream experience was courtesy of a nightmare. The Alien (from the original movie) had often appeared in my scary dreams, but one night I recognized that the setting I was in was going to lead to it showing up. I was in an elevator and I knew that any moment it was going to come down through the ceiling.

Somehow I made it so that the doors opened, and I stepped out into a bright, daytime business plaza, the kind of setting where a monster would never show up. And I left the nightmare behind. After that I have had very few truly scary dreams, the kind that you wake up from with your heart pounding.

I also rarely have sex dreams. Maybe once in a year. I don't know if that's normal.

One time I had a dream where I was trapped in the closet with an avatar of my anima and absolutely convinced the zombies were going to get me, any moment now

I got calmer and then legit annoyed the longer it went on until finally, well past when I was afraid, a single zombie shuffled in

I was p mad and demanded to know where it was, to which I got a very blasse "eh I'll swallow your soul."

Then I woke up

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

cool dance moves posted:

I'm a firm believer in dream symbolism, with the caveat that the meanings of the symbols will vary wildly from person to person. When I dream about forgetting a locker combination or missing a bus years after I finished school, I do believe I'm just working through similar anxieties related to forgetfulness or being unprepared. Dreams as prophecy isn't a thing, but it can feel like it when your brain recognizes patterns as a way to help you avoid repeating trauma. When I dream about teeth breaking, it's likely because my teeth sometimes break and I grind them, not because I lie sometimes.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

I like the ol' jungian trick where you don't analyze the specific image quite so much as you focus on how you were feeling, emotionally, during it.

Yeah, this is a much more concise way of putting it.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Really not enjoying this indomitable feeling of impending doom.

Yeah, brain, I know things are really bad, you don't have to keep telling me all the ways they may get worse.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
my grandpa is in the hospital, again. his prostate cancer is back and not really responding to treatment. it sounds like he has a kidney infection this time and they're gonna keep him there for a few days. who knows if he'll get to leave the hospital this time. the worst part is I'm a 17 hour drive away (lol at flying right now).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the worst thing about isolation is that it's completely wrecked my sleep since I don't have to get up for anything now. I go to sleep late; wake up late and feel like poo poo; and if I manage to take a nap to stop feeling like poo poo I sleep even less

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I think the worst thing about isolation is that it's completely wrecked my sleep since I don't have to get up for anything now. I go to sleep late; wake up late and feel like poo poo; and if I manage to take a nap to stop feeling like poo poo I sleep even less

Oh ya same. I've just accepted a lovely sleep schedule at this point and accepted that I'm just going to be way less productive overall. It's helped stop a lot of the shoulding on myself.

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
my girlfriend broke up with me today. she said she needs the face to face interaction and since we live like an hour apart, the long distance aspect of FaceTime was only going so far. we only just became an official couple a month before this went down (dating since December) but we did leave it at maybe we can try again once we arent confined to our homes.

this poo poo sucks my dudes.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, for the first time i can say that i am not depressed.

because it has been well and truly replaced by the white-hot, all consuming fires of rage and disgust.

i am very nearly at the point where i will assault the next rear end in a top hat who tries to tell me that their chosen rapist is a better choice than the rapist already in office.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

thehandtruck posted:

Oh ya same. I've just accepted a lovely sleep schedule at this point and accepted that I'm just going to be way less productive overall. It's helped stop a lot of the shoulding on myself.

Same. I'm still trying to adjust mine back to sanity, but it's become less and less of a priority over time. I've finally started getting new lines on work, though, so I might have to pretend at normalcy again. A part of me would really, really prefer not to.

Doctor posted:

this poo poo sucks my dudes.

That does suck friendo. Condolences and good luck in the future! I'm sure folks in this thread would listen if you need to vent.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i am very nearly at the point where i will assault the next rear end in a top hat who tries to tell me that their chosen rapist is a better choice than the rapist already in office.

It's an exceedingly lovely situation. I only have really the one friend that has badgered me about it, and I just told them I'll definitely vote and I'll do the right thing. They can interpret that to mean whatever the hell they want. I've found that, as an American, having a moral backbone is honestly frowned upon in favor of practical mercenary behavior, so I get why people take that stance. It's hosed up and wrong, but most of them are probably judging more out of fear or ignorance than malice. I guess I would encourage not letting anger blind you to their humanity, even if they seem blind to it themselves.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Anyone in here have family members they have to deal with? My dad is going to give himself an ulcer and I'm not going to see him in the hospital this time. He's spent every day for the last month (and probably every day since he retired and most days for the past four years) glued to the television, uncritically sucking up every word that comes out of anyone with a veil of decorum. He is one hundred percent prepared to blame young people for Biden's past and future failures, he thinks that there's a magic combination of complaints or insults that can make Trump stop being Trump, and every day he repeats the same poo poo like it's some new revelation that poo poo's hosed up. If Bloomberg had won the nomination, he would be prepared to vote for him because of the D next to his name. I and my mom keep begging him to do anything else with his time, but it's either MSNBC or CNN or Blue Bloods. He's got about zero interest in new shows, and I'm convinced that he's never had a hobby in his life, aside from (formerly) practicing law and going drinking with the boys once a week. I can't stop him from being a liberal but I'd at least like him to be less unpleasant to himself while I've got to be under the roof with him, which will last until I have a job again, which at this rate feels like 2067 or so.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobtheconqueror posted:

I guess I would encourage not letting anger blind you to their humanity, even if they seem blind to it themselves.

yeah that's all well and good to remember that the people who are condemning us to a fiery hell are worthy of humanity and not getting a new rear end in a top hat stomped into them.

i've got all this anger with no outlet for it and being told to "recognize their humanity" does nothing to help.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Am I a bad person for just disconnecting from all of this? I feel calmer than I have in years because I guess I finally managed to internalize "there's nothing I can do. What happens, happens, take it as it goes." Dunno if it will last but at the very least I'm not torturing myself or the people here.

I'm not going to save anyone, so I might as well save myself in a matter that I can say "I never made anyone's life CONSCIOUSLY worse". Seems to make me better than a lot of people, I guess.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i've got all this anger with no outlet for it and being told to "recognize their humanity" does nothing to help.

gently caress recognizing people's humanity. That's not your job. Your job is to live the happiest life you can live. Focus on yourself. Channel that anger. Stay mean. I once worked with a kid who had a lot of anger and developed an intimidating presence. Of course eventually I learned it was because he lived in a poo poo neighborhood helping his mom sell drugs to live and needed that anger and presence to survive. I would never ever try to get him to lose his anger. No. Keep your anger, it's one of the most powerful emotions you just have to channel it properly.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

AceOfFlames posted:

Am I a bad person for just disconnecting from all of this? I feel calmer than I have in years because I guess I finally managed to internalize "there's nothing I can do. What happens, happens, take it as it goes." Dunno if it will last but at the very least I'm not torturing myself or the people here.

I'm not going to save anyone, so I might as well save myself in a matter that I can say "I never made anyone's life CONSCIOUSLY worse". Seems to make me better than a lot of people, I guess.

Uhh if this is actually true then it's literally the most progress you've made in your entire adult life towards being an emotionally functional person. Keep it up.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Uhh if this is actually true then it's literally the most progress you've made in your entire adult life towards being an emotionally functional person. Keep it up.

I agree.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Im finally getting around to working on a passion project I've been kicking around in my head for a few years now. I don't think i can share it itt without doxxing myself so I won't do it, but suffice to say I'm finally going to start writing and putting my dumb thoughts out to the world at large instead of just C-SPAM. Feels good. A bit scary, but good :unsmith:

AceOfFlames posted:

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Seconded! This seems like a pretty big step forward. I think it means youre addressing some of the problems that made you sad in the first place. This is only the beginning so it's going to feel a bit weird as yo get used to it, but give it time and you will find yourself being a happier person generally. Good work buddy!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Anger is a natural and healthy response to the state of the world, but it is important to be able to manage and channel it. If it's making your life worse or preventing you from accomplishing what you want to do then it's a problem even if the answer isn't just burying your head in the sand, either.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Boy am I sick of being told "fake it until you make it"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

rudecyrus posted:

Boy am I sick of being told "fake it until you make it"

I think I was guilty of this at some point so my bad :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I work for an insurance company and they are awful and I feel like a war profiteer every day I'm there, but it's the only job in town that isn't factory work, Walmart, or fast food, and I would sooner kill myself than go back to fast food. I also get to work from home, and that's nice.

Is there something I can do to stop the stress and the guilt? I'm on Buproprion, but I think I need something else. I almost flew into a Edgar Allen Poe's Tell-Tale Heart guilt-scream on one of my calls and I literally had to put the caller on hold for five minutes while I went to the kitchen to make myself a drink with the rest of my vodka.