Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

My understanding is that its technically, theoretically possible for Trump to adjourn Congress but it would be a constitutional crisis and its almost certainly not gonna happen and its just Trump screaming "I am king" nonsense like usual.

:lol: the Trump administration has been a chain of constitutional crises, what makes you think this one won’t happen?

Caesarism machine go brrrrrr:

Wikipedia page on Caesarism posted:

Sociologist Max Weber believed that every mass democracy went in a Caesarist direction. Professor of law Gerhard Casper writes "Weber employed the term to stress, inter alia, the plebiscitary character of elections, disdain for parliament, the non-toleration of autonomous powers within the government and a failure to attract or suffer independent political minds."[4]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1250552613369712640

Back on his poo poo again

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Kamala Harris had this dipshit dead to rights in California for intentionally boosting housing foreclosures through his bank and she let him go.

Trump would've have found some other leech to do the job but still.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Oh poo poo. imagine if this is what causes Texas to swing blue. Goddamn the meltdowns would be epic

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol no he can’t do that what the gently caress does that even mean

Of course he can, ya'll ain't been keeping up.

He can adjourn them; he can summon them to reconvene.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Somewhere, right this moment, this very second, there is a Trumper going into a literal frothing rage till he strokes out

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

GarudaPrime posted:

I don't know, this seems to me to be a really reasonable method for phasing out a strict lockdown. What do people expect to keep every thing closed through June? I don't think any country can tolerate that hit to the economy.

Some part of how well this will work will depend on how good your country, state, ect is at day to day social distancing.

I live in the north east and I'm astounded at how good people seem to be adopting common sense social distancing in every day life.

I think the toughest reopening nut to crack will be schools, but remember schooling is also there as a form of built in day care for society, so we really cant open up work without having some place to put kids.

It's so loving depressing that we need a place to put kids while we do our very important jobs and destroy the planet for them while simultaneously ignoring them and raising them to be monsters like we are.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SocketWrench posted:

Oh poo poo. imagine if this is what causes Texas to swing blue. Goddamn the meltdowns would be epic

It’s going to get further bogged down in rulemaking and litigation over what counts as “affected by covid” and how one goes about proving it. Just like the Florida felon rights amendment.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can someone explain to me what this means

https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/status/1250547609607036929

https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/status/1250548527530459137

https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/status/1250551432928989184

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Trump had the whole government for 2 years. Why didnt he get anyone confirmed then?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Funk In Shoe posted:

I can't stand it. He looks like literally how my 2 year old stands when he's got a full diaper.

what a strange coincidence :thunk:

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The most optimistic model for the pandemic assume that everyone adheres to a lockdown until June. If things open in May this gets much worse fast. Simple as that.

I assume we are talking about the US. If so I agree we will be locked down through may. I would bet every one of my Trumpbux the vast majority of the US breaks into a measured reopening by Jun 1st though.
Some new states that are the epicenters will lag behind but the majority of the country won't. Also I'm not saying we achieve a full reopening with movie theaters and packed restaurants or anything (I wouldnt put it past us though), but most non hospitality and travel work wont be under forced lockdown.

Of course there wont be much demand for stuff, so it will probably still be an unforced shutdown.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ManBoyChef posted:

Trump had the whole government for 2 years. Why didnt he get anyone confirmed then?
He's been doing it the whole time since the Senate has been in GOP hands his entire presidency. Hell, a bunch of Dems even voted for some of his early lovely cabinet appointments

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
SOMEONE PLEASE BRING UP THE JUDGES MCCONNELL BLOCKED ESPECIALLY GARLAND

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

It means that if the Senate wants to adjourn, and the House doesn't, Trump can adjourn both for the rest of his presidency

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Has he gotten pissed off yet?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

SalTheBard posted:

I think the boat is next to the truck. I think it's an optical illusion.

Nah, there's more than one picture. Dude has two outboards strapped to a 2x4 across the back of his truck bed

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Donald trump officially knows what WHO stands for. Somebody, somewhere, lost a very modest bet.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The president can't adjourn Congress, right?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

“We’re a developing nation. We’re developing too!”

Donald has no idea how right he is.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It seems like the answer is, "it depends."

Also lol

https://twitter.com/MichaelMathes/status/1250556103043231744

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The crack/ping is strong with this thread right now.

Yes, he can.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

VH4Ever posted:

I'm back in today too. I'm not proud of myself.

I don't know why I decided to turn it on for once, you guys corrupted me, but it did result in this gem: "We're considered a developing country as well in my book"

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Pretty clearly spelled out that he can.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Omg he just wandered the gently caress off. Like a Sasquatch back to the wild.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's been doing it the whole time since the Senate has been in GOP hands his entire presidency. Hell, a bunch of Dems even voted for some of his early lovely cabinet appointments

Nowadays it's because the Venn diagram of "could pass confirmation in even this Senate" and "sufficient obsequiousness and willingness to blatantly violate rules" is very low. And the pool of people willing to submit themselves for consideration in those categories is very small.

The president cannot unilaterally adjourn Congress; Congress needs to be in a specific situation for that power to activate and it's not now and won't be.

bootsy
Jun 29, 2010
"It's cold out." *walks off*

ROFL

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

haveblue posted:

The president cannot unilaterally adjourn Congress; Congress needs to be in a specific situation for that power to activate and it's not now and won't be.

“In a 5-4 bloopity bloppity bloo”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

haveblue posted:

Nowadays it's because the Venn diagram of "could pass confirmation in even this Senate" and "sufficient obsequiousness and willingness to blatantly violate rules" is very low. And the pool of people willing to submit themselves for consideration in those categories is very small.

I feel like only a handful of those awful judicial appointments got pulled

I believe there was one where the appointment failed the first time but he got reappointed and the second time it went through?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

haveblue posted:

Theoretically, he can adjourn when the houses of Congress are in disagreement about when they are to adjourn.

It's a power that has never been invoked.

I have bad news about the current SCOTUS...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like only a handful of those awful judicial appointments got pulled

Judicial appointments sail through because he doesn't have to deal with them directly and he's just picking them off a list someone handed him. Cabinet appointments are different, he has to work with them and see them speak for him on TV.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Sorry Turley, you helped him stay in office during the hearings. He got what he wanted from you, and is done listening.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Both houses of Congress are in agreement that they’ll return on May 4th so what does that mean for anything?

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

Nah, there's more than one picture. Dude has two outboards strapped to a 2x4 across the back of his truck bed

Motorboats are multiple occupancy recreational vehicles and have been deemed non-essential during the crisis in Michigan. Their use is temporarily not permitted. Kayaks are still okay, though, being single-person craft.

Cue right-wing hysteria.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Both houses of Congress are in agreement that they’ll return on May 4th so what does that mean for anything?

It means he can't adjourn them then.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump wants to use recess appointments to force through his judicial nominanees who are universally young Federalist-approved conservative ideologues

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1250553064089624577

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz the Horse posted:

Theoretically, he can adjourn when the houses of Congress are in disagreement about when they are to adjourn.

It's a power that has never been invoked.

I have bad news about the current SCOTUS...

This strikes me as one of those situations where Roberts sees no long term advantage to the Republican Party (and in fact a lot of long term damage) and substantial damage to his power so he doesn’t go along with it. One year of more Trump appointments when he has a Republican senate isn’t worth risking giving Biden four years of the potential ability to appoint whoever he wants even if Republicans keep the Senate.

The other four will write an opinion they will have issues with later of course because they have the foresight of a sack of wet clay.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1250558448078446592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fritz the Horse posted:

Trump wants to use recess appointments to force through his judicial nominanees who are universally young Federalist-approved conservative ideologues

Oh I know why Trump wants to do it. But the point is that if both Houses are in agreement, which they are, then he can’t gently caress with them by my reading from people on Twitter.

And why does he need recess appointments for that the Senate is already doing that. Is he really just that butthurt that Congress took a couple weeks off right now?