Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Pollyanna posted:

The entire point of :siren: THE HARBINGERS OF DESTINY HAVE BEEN DEFEATED :siren: is that you don't have to care anymore because now we know whatever the gently caress happens happens, so we can move on from the timey wimey bullshit.

If they're planning on just moving on from all the destiny poo poo then why did they add all that nonsense with Zack at the eleventh hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't even just mean that. I just mean stuff like dumping Zack, Not A SOLDIER, Sephiroth's plans, etc.

Remake just seems terrified of leaving stuff on the table for some reason.

People are stupid and if characters aren't shouting their motivations from the top of their lungs at all times morons get confused.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm concerned that the timeline fuckery puts Rufus' life at risk

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

homeless snail posted:

There are far too many dangling threads in the ending that they aren't just gonna ignore. The descriptions of the arbiters, the weirdass Zack stuff. If they intended it to be a clean break after this game they wouldn't have that stuff.

Yeah. I'm still not convinced it's time travel in the traditional sense. It could just be a straight up altering of the timeline, and voila Zack's alive. But the next game at least has to address that, whatever it is.

Someone in one of the threads was suggesting that they might have a dual protagonist set-up in the next game, with Cloud et al doing more or less the original FFVII motions and Zack + ??? doing completely new stuff. I think that would be a good way to handle it. But yeah, whatever they do, I'm in for it at this point.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bland posted:

If they're planning on just moving on from all the destiny poo poo then why did they add all that nonsense with Zack at the eleventh hour?

I'm referring to multiverse/time loop/causality stuff being over and done with. Changes to the game's story aren't really timey wimey, they're just changes. I also don't know what the gently caress was really going on there, so they could always just not follow up on it. I personally don't give that much of a poo poo about Zack anyway :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. I'm still not convinced it's time travel in the traditional sense. It could just be a straight up altering of the timeline, and voila Zack's alive. But the next game at least has to address that, whatever it is.

The way they address it is "hey Zack's alive, maybe it was the ghosts. Let's go kill Sephiroth now."

quote:

Someone in one of the threads was suggesting that they might have a dual protagonist set-up in the next game, with Cloud et al doing more or less the original FFVII motions and Zack + ??? doing completely new stuff. I think that would be a good way to handle it. But yeah, whatever they do, I'm in for it at this point.

This would be cool and I'd be down for it, if it wasn't for the fact that it'll inevitably be way more work to make an entirely separate mirror party of the originals.

Edit: Hm, maybe not. If they're just mirrors...that's just a dupe of existing work.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 16, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

I'm concerned that the timeline fuckery puts Rufus' life at risk

All the characters lives are at risk now. You take the good with the bad.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Pollyanna posted:

I personally don't give that much of a poo poo about Zack anyway :shrug:

He must've won a lot of Character Polls in ShounenSqueenix Jump somewhere after 2005, because I don't get it either.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

This would own

Wasn't there some place the creators were asking for ideas/feedback? Somebody needs to plant this seed in their heads.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

McTimmy posted:

People are stupid and if characters aren't shouting their motivations from the top of their lungs at all times morons get confused.

Yeah, and it makes for flaky narratives / writing. But this is a video-game, the bar is low.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I feel like there are definitely at least two discrete timelines at work here, given that we see a totally different Stamp in Zack's timeline, and there's that view of Zack/Cloud in his one timeline sort of walking by Cloud/Aerith in the timeline we've been playing in without actually encountering one another (otherwise there'd be two Clouds, two Buster Swords, etc. in this timeline).

But there's also a possibility that the Zack thing is just dropped. Maybe it's just an indication that "by changing fate, they have changed things in one timeline--what can they do in their own?" and not setting up a new actual plot thread. But who knows, I guess.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zack Are Sick

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Do we have an official pronunciation for Aerith's last name? Is it gains-bo-ro or more like gin-bruh or something

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It's read like "Gainsboorg" in the katakana.

otherwise they'd literally use the Bo and Ro symbols.

I dunno what's going on with the English name, lol.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Harrow posted:

I feel like there are definitely at least two discrete timelines at work here, given that we see a totally different Stamp in Zack's timeline, and there's that view of Zack/Cloud in his one timeline sort of walking by Cloud/Aerith in the timeline we've been playing in without actually encountering one another (otherwise there'd be two Clouds, two Buster Swords, etc. in this timeline).

Thing is, we don't see stamp in the "original" timeline after the Whispers are defeated. It's possible that Stamp changing is just a representation of the timeline changing rather than an alternate timeline. It's would be a good way to illustrate to people who didn't play original FFVII that something has changed, because presumably they don't know that Zack should have died anyway.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I hope Sephiroth still kills Aerith so we can get him T-posing in loving realism in the background of a tragic scene.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Thing is, we don't see stamp in the "original" timeline after the Whispers are defeated. It's possible that Stamp changing is just a representation of the timeline changing rather than an alternate timeline. It's would be a good way to illustrate to people who didn't play original FFVII that something has changed, because presumably they don't know that Zack should have died anyway.

Would that mean there are now two Clouds and two Buster Swords in this timeline--the Cloud/sword who left Zack when he died and the Cloud/sword that Zack successfully brought to Midgar? Or were we seeing a vision of a new past where Zack brought Cloud to Midgar and then at some point Cloud got the Buster Sword another way, while Zack is now alive out there and wondering where his sword went?

Parallel timelines are a little neater, if nothing else, but again I'd really love to not have to deal with a bunch of alternate universe stuff going forward.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

CottonWolf posted:

It's possible that Stamp changing is just a representation of the timeline changing rather than an alternate timeline.

I've been thinking this for a while too. And honestly, I feel hard pressed to think of how Zack being "alive" would go anywhere truly different story-wise. They were simply capping the story off with a hint at how Cloud isn't who he thinks he is.

Keep in mind that the literal identity of the game we know is in flux too.

Harrow posted:

Or were we seeing a vision of a new past where Zack brought Cloud to Midgar and then at some point Cloud got the Buster Sword another way, while Zack is now alive out there and wondering where his sword went?

I really think it's basically this, but yea "who knows".

MoaM fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 16, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I think I'm happier being optimistic about where this going rather than biting my nails wondering if the is going to turn into the new kingdom hearts kudzu plot.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MoaM posted:

I've been thinking this for a while too. And honestly, I feel hard pressed to think of how Zack being "alive" would go anywhere truly different story-wise.

Just as one example, if they meet up, it could allow Cloud a way out of his psychosis way before the black materia incident. There's lots they could in theory do with Zack for the core plot if they wanted, putting aside the Aerith romance angle.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Yes, yes...I think that would be an improvement over Tifa mind-diving him.

I guess what I mean is, the Zack-Cloud relationship isn't exactly essential to the planet-saving plot of the game. You can do all sorts of neat character development interactions between them and still have the party go kick rear end.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Harrow posted:

there's that view of Zack/Cloud in his one timeline sort of walking by Cloud/Aerith in the timeline we've been playing in without actually encountering one another

Is that what that was? I thought it was just some metaphorical narrative-echo poo poo. I didn't take it literally.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If its metaphorical idk what its supposed to be a metaphor for, pretty much everything in that scene is hosed up from what its supposed to be

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Just as one example, if they meet up, it could allow Cloud a way out of his psychosis way before the black materia incident. There's lots they could in theory do with Zack for the core plot if they wanted, putting aside the Aerith romance angle.

I personally would find it loving delicious Sephiroth thinks he's won by destroying the timeline in which Aerith dies and ultimately he loses, but instead finds the seven seconds he gave Cloud ended up loving him in the rear end harder than he could've possibly imagined. What if your puppet shakes off your manipulations way ahead of schedule and just loving shatters that materia you needed? Then whatcha gonna do momma's boy?

edit: this scene could also be improved by making out with Roche afterward while mental Seph just stands there absolutely aghast.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 16, 2020

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I'm referring to multiverse/time loop/causality stuff being over and done with. Changes to the game's story aren't really timey wimey, they're just changes. I also don't know what the gently caress was really going on there, so they could always just not follow up on it. I personally don't give that much of a poo poo about Zack anyway :shrug:

One of the last chapters was called Destiny Crossroads. I think the Zack scene (and the changed Stamp logo) was just to show how the time ghosts were changing other alternate universes to fit the OG FF7. I hope they don't follow up with the Zack thing also

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Flopsy posted:

edit: this scene could also be improved by making out with Roche afterward while mental Seph just stands there absolutely aghast.

Every scene could be improved this way.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zack is alive and wandering into the ruins of Midgar so episode 1.5/2 can take place at least 50% in a place they already have assets made for

He will retrace the steps of the first game but mirrored and he'll just be going "whoa all this stuff is really broken, this is awful. I wish I had my big sword. Whoa this motorcycle guy is pretty cool."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What the hell happened to Roche anyway? You fight him twice in one chapter and then he just disappears forever. I was really expecting him to be the final boss of the motorcycle escape sequence.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The game needed more Roche

edit: Jessie's chapter was it's own isolated storyline. You could remove the Jessie chapter and the plot could still move forward. It felt weird that Roche didn't show up later.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rabid Snake posted:

The game needed more Roche

edit: Jessie's chapter was it's own isolated storyline. You could remove the Jessie chapter and the plot could still move forward. It felt weird that Roche didn't show up later.

I almost feel like they were experimenting with the character to see now he landed with the fandom. Since he's been pretty warmly received I think we'll be seeing more of him.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean since they axed Mukki, we need another flamboyant recurring rascal.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

HD DAD posted:

We kinda had that with Johnny in the original, but I hope that he gets to keep his happy ending going forward. He got himself a good life in a tropical resort, good for him. :shobon:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I'll just leave this quote from his voice actor here:

"I can’t speak to canon and writer’s intent, but I am pansexual, I have a crush on Cloud, and you can hear it come out sometimes in his dialogue."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

100% Cloud is going to die instead of Aerith and Zach, who didn't die in this version, will pick up his sword up to take on the rest of the game.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

100% Cloud is going to die instead of Aerith and Zach, who didn't die in this version, will pick up his sword up to take on the rest of the game.

The only reason I don't think they're going to do that is because the uproar over it might damage sales.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

That would be the funniest possible twist, so i'm for it

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I hated Roche quite a bit. Hm.

Anyway I've fully cleared the game and done all the optional stuff. I thought about typing up an effortpost for how to best contend with certain sticking points on Hard Mode or beating the Pride & Joy gauntlet, but I'm not sure if that's really what the scope of this thread is. I'm curious as to how the rest of you who have beaten Hard feel about some of the changes; in a lot of the games I play, Easy is a visual novel, Normal is easy, and Hard is the Real Game™, but in FF7R Hard is right on the edge between interesting/challenging and gimmicky/tedious, with some parts very firmly falling into the latter camp.

At the expense of typing a lot more words I'll also just say that I think this is probably my favorite game of this console generation, and I really appreciate that Squeenix did more than just slap a fresh coat of paint on an existing game and call it a day. Even extremely ambitious remakes like RE2make and RE3make now seem pretty pedestrian by comparison, which is saying something considering I thoroughly enjoyed both of those games.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

I hated Roche quite a bit. Hm.

Anyway I've fully cleared the game and done all the optional stuff. I thought about typing up an effortpost for how to best contend with certain sticking points on Hard Mode or beating the Pride & Joy gauntlet, but I'm not sure if that's really what the scope of this thread is. I'm curious as to how the rest of you who have beaten Hard feel about some of the changes; in a lot of the games I play, Easy is a visual novel, Normal is easy, and Hard is the Real Game™, but in FF7R Hard is right on the edge between interesting/challenging and gimmicky/tedious, with some parts very firmly falling into the latter camp.

At the expense of typing a lot more words I'll also just say that I think this is probably my favorite game of this console generation, and I really appreciate that Squeenix did more than just slap a fresh coat of paint on an existing game and call it a day. Even extremely ambitious remakes like RE2make and RE3make now seem pretty pedestrian by comparison, which is saying something considering I thoroughly enjoyed both of those games.

To be fair my tastes are quite eclectic. I think Mr. X is hot for example.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If we get a shot of Cloud and Zack standing shoulder to shoulder, side by side in their battle stances my soul might actually leave my body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's going to happen and there will also be a Zack vs Cloud boss fight.