Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 3 - "May-Ko"

Previous Next

So let's talk slightly more in-depth about the combat system, because it's not like I'm like, super totes amazing at it.

At any given time, as long as Cloud is not animation-locked (and this is really annoying because I'd like to queue actions), you can switch between Smooth Operator and The Punisher.

In Operator Mode you get to do a no I-Frames roll and a low damage attack, while in Punisher Mode you're extremely slow, can counter upon defending, and deals more damage.

The trash mobs so far have very little HP, so it... kinda doesn't matter much. At least early on there is quite the gap in HP and difficulty between the generic trash mob and something harder like a Mini-Boss.

You can fill up to two ATB bars per character. Each ATB bar allows you to use one action such as using items, materia etc.

Braver is no longer a Limit, instead it's one of Cloud's "Abilities". Cloud starts with two abilities, Braver to deal a lot of damage, and Focused Thrust to greatly increase the stagger bar. Staggering works just like in FF13 etc.

Getting slightly ahead of myself, Cloud starts with Fire, and Barret with Lightning and Cure. While this really helps the early game dynamic and I think this combination is better game-design-wise, it is pretty weird not to have Cloud casting Lightning. You know.

Live Notes: drat everything is so pretty.

First time I played through this area I spent so long just back-tracking and appreciating it.

Otherwise this area is mostly more of the same.

There is a very strong loop here, linear walk, someone mentions how we got company, and Cloud fights.

To be honest I felt like every excuse for combat was needed. The first time I played this area I felt so lost with the controls that I desperately needed every opportunity to practice. Also, there's no such thing as random encounters like in the original, at least not that I could find. There seems to be a set amount of enemies to kill in the Reactor.

So no leveling up to 99 I'm afraid.

By now I was kinda laughing at how everyone is on their merry way and the security officers really want a piece of Cloud.

Tubes have never looked better.

So, back to mechanics - Limits are still in. Cloud's first Limit is Cross-Slash. I'm not gonna lie, each character having their own auto-attack mechanic, unique "Skill" for the lack of better word (Cloud switches Operator/Punisher modes, Barret alternates between releasing a big blast/charging his gun), unique "Abilities" and then Limits is kinda confusing. There are ~four character-specific mechanics.

Anyway we get to the iconic Reactor entrance.

I swear I tried, but the camera angles aren't fantastic here.

I don't think I'll ever fully get used to just how unnecessarily huge the Shinra HQ is, but other than that I love the sense of scale in this so much.

Shut up Barret.

Barret is very much a dork. His "I don't like Cloud" has been amped up to eleven here.

I think we all know exactly what comes next.

By now I don't really expect the entire game to be like this, but I do find interesting that every obligatory encounter in the Shinra reactor is to some extent "handcrafted".

This right here is what we all asked for, isn't it? Mopey Cloud sucks.

This is also the order in which Biggs and Jessie hack the terminals in the original ok I'll shut up.

You know, this might be a case of me forgetting things of the original (and there's so much in that game I find myself rereading my own stuff and going "wait, I didn't know that and I didn't know I knew that"), but I don't remember if Jessie ever talks much about her contact, or if her contact is Reeve, or if her contact is the person who betrays us and reveals the location of AVALANCHE.

It's one of those things that really got me wondering in the Remake. Anyway -

I loving love that the last room before the elevator has these lockers with safety suits and warnings. I know, small details.

lol

Aaaaaaaaahahahaha

Wait, what the gently caress

This was not in the demo. Go back.

This is too soon Mr. Square-Enix, pull back

Can you imagine the people who has to conciliate Tifa being a cowgirl with a bar that contains a giant sign written TEXAS and the fact Nibelheim is the most Norse of all Norse references.

"Sooo, it's a reference to Niflheim, has some sort of European architecture..."

-Yes, go on.

"But it has to look like a Sergio Leone movie..."

-Yes, yes.

"So that Niflheim, containing creepy misty mountains and the home of a man named Cloud, can be the home of a cowgirl who's a fighter wearing gloves engraved with norse runes who becomes a bartender"

-Perfect.

"Maybe I really am misremembering home."

"Tifa and I used to eat Korean BBQ back at Nibelheim."

Unfortunately we are interrupted by Barret's favorite activity.

So yeah this caught me off-guard. I was not expecting a Nibelheim flashback so soon.

Previous Next

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
that flashback gave me flashbacks to FF7. guessing that becomes a recurring thing? too much leaning on nostalgia?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what the gently caress is Jessie wearing and...why?!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A breastplate, to protect her organs

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aces High posted:

Same thing she was wearing the original.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh, never read to me as armour the same as what other characters were wearing but then maybe I just wasn't paying attention in the original.

just looks kind of goofy when the Shinra people have firearms and Barret has an M134 attached to his arm :shrug:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Aces High posted:

It's some real weird looking boob armour. On the one hand it's stupid and looks awful, on the other, this might bode well for the hot tub scene.

Reading that update makes me want to go back and read the original LP. I can hear the music in my head while I read this update.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Oh my god, I was hoping you would be working on this. I can't wait to see it!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Aces High posted:

oh, never read to me as armour the same as what other characters were wearing but then maybe I just wasn't paying attention in the original.

just looks kind of goofy when the Shinra people have firearms and Barret has an M134 attached to his arm :shrug:

Why, it's only fair. Shinra has firearms, so Barret also gets a firearm.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I love the animations and models for all the kid versions of the characters and for Marlene later on. I want a flashback to 12 year old Barret in Correl, being angsty.

11 year old Vincent listening to FFVIIs version of The Cure.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Aces High posted:

Nowhere near the stupidest thing that a woman has worn in a Final Fantasy game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elentor posted:

You know, this might be a case of me forgetting things of the original (and there's so much in that game I find myself rereading my own stuff and going "wait, I didn't know that and I didn't know I knew that"), but I don't remember if Jessie ever talks much about her contact, or if her contact is Reeve, or if her contact is the person who betrays us and reveals the location of AVALANCHE.

I don't think she ever elaborates on it in here or especially in the original, but I think she's actually talking about Avalanche command. In the FFVII "expanded universe" Avalanche has been around in some form for a good while, and isn't just a Barret pet project. She talks to someone in Avalanche HQ, who theoretically gets access codes from some other ShinRa source.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't think she ever elaborates on it in here or especially in the original, but I think she's actually talking about Avalanche command. In the FFVII "expanded universe" Avalanche has been around in some form for a good while, and isn't just a Barret pet project. She talks to someone in Avalanche HQ, who theoretically gets access codes from some other ShinRa source.

That was my interpretation of this scene too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It’d be nice if it’s not too much work to post the original game's backgrounds and character models as a neat contrast

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

anyone else think young tifa looks like they just shrunk(poorly) adult tifas head and put it on a tiny body? something looks out of perspective to me.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I didn't. Now I can't unsee that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Looks fine to me. Sometimes people still look like themselves as they get older! Weird, I know.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Schwartzcough posted:

Looks fine to me. Sometimes people still look like themselves as they get older! Weird, I know.

That was my point they're the same but smaller and it looks weird on that body to me.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Nowhere near the stupidest thing that a woman has worn in a Final Fantasy game.

I mean if this is the tip of the iceberg at least I know there's more to come. Besides, it's not the fact that a woman is wearing it, I'd think it looks stupid if Cloud was wearing it too.

Actually I don't think it would stick out to me like it is if all the AVALANCHE members were rocking something similar, except Cloud because he's too cool :jerkbag:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

You know Wedge would be totally rocking the body armor - if they could find some that fit him :smith:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Aces High posted:

I mean if this is the tip of the iceberg at least I know there's more to come. Besides, it's not the fact that a woman is wearing it, I'd think it looks stupid if Cloud was wearing it too.

Actually I don't think it would stick out to me like it is if all the AVALANCHE members were rocking something similar, except Cloud because he's too cool :jerkbag:

Nobody else is dressed like her in the game; her outfit is the only one I've heard people complain about. But she almost certainly made it herself and she's a big flirt, so I can give her wearing boob-armor a bit of a pass. It's not like it has a huge opening in the armor to reveal her cleavage or anything, so as far as fantasy lady armor goes it's super tame.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It definitely looks like something cobbled together by someone who has an idea of what armour is supposed to look like versus an actual armourer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Maybe it's polystyrene foam and Jessie is an ecoterrorist cosplayer?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dash Rendar posted:

Maybe it's polystyrene foam and Jessie is an ecoterrorist cosplayer?

A pox upon you for reminding me of that video!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the real world Jessie and co. would be having panic attacks in that mission and be deafened and shaking from all the shooting. At best someone would be sweating and panically going "what if they find us oh my god we're gonna die they already know we're here". None of those people are remotely realistic in any sense.

What I can tell you though is that if there's anyone as horny as Jessie in the middle of her first bombing mission, that person is certainly insane enough to be wearing boob plates for cosmetic reasons.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Isn’t there a long established history of metal boob plate armor in the fantasy genre? I feel like they’re just walking in the footsteps of their forefathers.

Do you think Cloud has a big magnet to keep his sword on his back? (Being serious here)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Med School posted:

Isn’t there a long established history of metal boob plate armor in the fantasy genre? I feel like they’re just walking in the footsteps of their forefathers.

Do you think Cloud has a big magnet to keep his sword on his back? (Being serious here)

I could swear at some point the canon was that Sword's holes were to attach it to his back and not materia slots. Someone please find the source and tell me I was not hallucinating this.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Med School posted:

According to reddit, yes, it's a magnet.

Elentor posted:

I could swear at some point the canon was that Sword's holes were to attach it to his back and not materia slots. Someone please find the source and tell me I was not hallucinating this.

According to the Behind The Scenes section of the FFWiki:

"In the earliest concept sketches (see Gallery) Cloud's sword was smaller and thinner and had a single slot used to attach the weapon to a stud on Cloud's back. The handle had a hanging chain similar to Squall's Revolver in Final Fantasy VIII. A magnet on the suspender on Cloud's back was used to hold the sword in place."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kheldarn posted:

"In the earliest concept sketches (see Gallery) Cloud's sword was smaller and thinner and had a single slot used to attach the weapon to a stud on Cloud's back. The handle had a hanging chain similar to Squall's Revolver in Final Fantasy VIII. A magnet on the suspender on Cloud's back was used to hold the sword in place."

That's gott be one hell of a magnet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bhYMnHb5JY

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

Elentor posted:

that person is certainly insane enough to be wearing boob plates for cosmetic reasons.

I think it's the Ce'Nedra effect.
For those who don't know, in David Edding's fantasy series, The Belgariad: Ce'Nedra was a half-dryad queen who found herself having to rally the troops while her husband was off sneaking into enemy territory on an heroic mission. Unfortunately, due to her dryad blood, she looked younger then she was and found it hard to impress anyone. So she commissioned a big, fancy, light-weight, impractical, and completely useless suit of armor, with yes, boob-plate(to make up for the fact she really didn't have boobs). She had to argue hard and fast to get the blacksmith to even make it, because it was a totally useless design.

But it helped her look more like a warrior queen, so her inspiring speeches worked better.

Maybe Jessie is just flat as a board under that armor, and it helps her confidence?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

rbakervv posted:

For those who don't know, in David Edding's fantasy series, The Belgariad: Ce'Nedra was a half-dryad queen who found herself having to rally the troops while her husband was off sneaking into enemy territory on an heroic mission. Unfortunately, due to her dryad blood, she looked younger then she was and found it hard to impress anyone. So she commissioned a big, fancy, light-weight, impractical, and completely useless suit of armor, with yes, boob-plate(to make up for the fact she really didn't have boobs). She had to argue hard and fast to get the blacksmith to even make it, because it was a totally useless design.

But it helped her look more like a warrior queen, so her inspiring speeches worked better.

Maybe Jessie is just flat as a board under that armor, and it helps her confidence?

Wow that's a deep cut. 80s style.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rbakervv posted:

Alternatively one can read my poorly-illustrated CYOA, where there are no boob plates. The main character just wears a black suit and a femur as a weapon. Also, materias.

I shamelessly stole materias.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
link?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894977

It is actually :krad:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Elentor is atma's alt

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

rbakervv posted:

That thought crossed my mind, but I didn't know anyone else here was nerd enough to know who the Eddings were. I re-read The Belgariad, The Mallorean, Belgarath The Sorcerer, Polgara The Sorceress, The Elenium, The Tamuli, and my all-time favorite, The Redemption Of Althalus all the time. I just started re-reading Pol recently.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

rbakervv posted:

jesus I was finishing that series (person I was seeing at the time REALLY loved it and gave me the two collected books to read) when Elentor's original LP was starting, loving full circle up in this thread

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Jessie's armor is literally just her FF7 mesh but with more detail, I didn't really find it offputting compared to the Effort Noises. Happens every time in a dub! Throw that poo poo out!

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
There is kind of a key difference between FF13 stagger and FF7R stagger.

FF13's stagger constantly increases the bonus damage - in fact, even when an enemy isn't actually staggered, you get bonus damage, it's just that getting staggered gets you an extra 100% added on. FF7R has stagger be a static +60% to damage taken, modified by some abilities we get later on.

Due to this there isn't the COM(/SAB)/RAV balancing act of actually increasing the number and making sure you can maintain that bonus; stagger doesn't drop at all until the enemy actually gets staggered. (...Then it feels like it drops super quick, at least compared to 13, but maybe that's just me!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I absolutely love Wedge in the remake! He is such a friend :allears:

Real glad to see you doing this thread, Elentor :)