Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Glumslinger posted:

I think Chinese number is higher than reported, but I also think thats true pretty much everywhere

Here is a recent story that kind of gets to that point
https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1250582901500055558

Shitloads of people dying in lovely nursing homes, with lots of them not being tested before death
I'm waiting to hear the inevitable stories of this happening at nursing homes here in FL

The governor has gone out of his way to block the public from knowing the extent of the spread in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

friendly 2 da void posted:

the scenario you're describing is a lot more likely to happen with US citizens, except i'll be the entire world quarantining them

china ain't the one with the most cases and deaths

Wait you believe the numbers the CCP is putting out?

What's next you believe they aren't killing any Muslims?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Glumslinger posted:

I think Chinese number is higher than reported, but I also think thats true pretty much everywhere

Shitloads of people dying in lovely nursing homes, with lots of them not being tested before death

That. Is. hosed up

Even a state center. I can’t believe they weren’t crying for help to the higher ups.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

friendly 2 da void posted:

quarantined anyone who tested positive

I'm pretty sure they quarantined anyone who set foot in the fever clinic, until they tested negative. That's the secret sauce. That's the harsh poo poo that the US is super not doing.

I'm paraphrasing this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3gCbkeARbY

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Just because China is lying doesn't mean they have more cases than the US. The American response has been awful, and by all accounts the Chinese response was far more severe and draconian. You don't get to just say the CCP is lying and then pretend they have infinite deaths

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Bananana posted:

What if...

Both are true?

Like, originally, and at peak, china watered-down the numbers, while eventually implementing crazy strict quarantine practices, in conjunction with "accidently" having a few buildings collapse here and there, and now they do have it under control, and are accurately conveying their numbers.

The much more likely explanation is that early on China was no different from every other country on Earth and didn't have sufficient testing capacity to provide accurate numbers, and eventually their crazy strict quarantine practices were effective at slowing the spread, so now they're only testing serious symptomatic cases while ignoring the large number of asymptomatic members of the population.

China doesn't have accurate death totals for the same reason that we don't have accurate death totals: most people who died did so at home of cardiac failure and nobody had the time, resources, or basic willpower to sit down and figure out which ones were coronavirus victims vs some other cause. People investigating the aftermath years from now will be comparing total death counts in regions now vs the past several years, the official tallies in every country are wildly inaccurate.

"CHINA IS LYING" is kind of cute and naive in that it's a line of thought that vastly overestimates everyone's competency and the availability of resources. Of course China lies, but they don't have the ability to obtain accurate numbers even if they badly wanted them (which they don't)

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

The Glumslinger posted:

JESUS CHRIST

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
In hindsight, I kind of wish Trump deployed the military to lock people in their houses based on the Chinese model because that poo poo would have been hilarious

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

VikingSkull posted:

In hindsight, I kind of wish Trump deployed the military to lock people in their houses based on the Chinese model because that poo poo would have been hilarious

The only way to get out would be to join the military. That would be sweet.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Xibanya posted:

Plague Diary, day 12
Yesterday and today I continued to be tired as poo poo, but I didn't have any breathing trouble again and I've been barely coughing, so I think I'm really getting past this thing. Around midday somebody from the respiratory clinic called to check on me, lol. I let them know I was fine. I feel a weird calm, like, now that this is over with, odds are good I don't have to worry about it gettin me again until at least next year. After I self-quarantine a few more days (not yet 3 days out from my last fever) I can go to the grocery store and just have a mask to make everybody else feel better, I don't need to second guess whether or not I scratched my nose in a moment of carelessness, wonder if every cough is a portent of doom, or be afraid of my own shadow. The locked down world is my oyster. Now I have no worries at all -- except the ones about family and friends getting this, and everything else I was stressed out about before all this poo poo went down. Wait...I gotta do my taxes! And the vaccum broke, and the recycling's overflowing and I need to trim the cats' claws and and and :derp:

but in seriousness now that I'm reasonably sure I am not going to die of the roni in at least the next 3 months, it's a load off my mind. Yeah they don't know for certain if getting it makes you immune even short-term, I'm not gonna be licking any doorknobs, but it seems likely. I won't be careless, I'll still take every precaution as if I was still in immediate danger of catching it, but it's one less thing for my brain to churn over, and these days I'll take as much peace of mind as I can get.

Man am I glad to read this. Please keep posting itt ok, I believe you that you feel better; you know your body- but this thing has gone back and forth for others and reading that you are ok matters extra to me.

I dunno why, one of our few ladies maybe.

It is just really good to hear, I was scared for you :sympathy:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

coronavirus posted:

Wait you believe the numbers the CCP is putting out?

What's next you believe they aren't killing any Muslims?

That's the thing though, believe them in what sense? They're obviously not reflective of reality, but that's also the case everywhere else; you cannot find a single state in the US whose reported infection or death numbers are accurate.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

shut the gently caress up VikingSkull

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I'm moderately terrified by the amount of unrest stirring in the USA over the lockdown. Many people think that this lockdown is to rob the virus of available hosts, but it's actually just to stop hospital systems from being overwhelmed. There has already been an anti lockdown protest in Michigan? I think Dr. Fauci using that incredibly optimistic model to base his statements on combined with the slow drip of lockdowns being extended along with Trump's unhinged bullshit being broadcast across the country are going to lead to some seriously hosed up times to come. It's kinda like the 1918 outbreak. People came back from WW1, and the public came out in swarms despite the outbreak, and it resulted in the deadliest period of time for it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Synthetic Dreams posted:

I'm moderately terrified by the amount of unrest stirring in the USA over the lockdown. Many people think that this lockdown is to rob the virus of available hosts, but it's actually just to stop hospital systems from being overwhelmed. There has already been an anti lockdown protest in Michigan? I think Dr. Fauci using that incredibly optimistic model to base his statements on combined with the slow drip of lockdowns being extended along with Trump's unhinged bullshit being broadcast across the country are going to lead to some seriously hosed up times to come. It's kinda like the 1918 outbreak. People came back from WW1, and the public came out in swarms despite the outbreak, and it resulted in the deadliest period of time for it.
Those people in Lansing were just the typical MAGA CHUDS. If it's just random people then I will be concerned. But polling suggests that the majority of people are taking this seriously and understand why we are doing quarantines/lockdowns.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

That. Is. hosed up

Even a state center. I can’t believe they weren’t crying for help to the higher ups.

"“To all the people calling into the governor’s office, the congressman’s office to help us tell them WE NEED HELP,” a representative of Andover Subacute & Rehab Center Two wrote at 7:18 p.m. on Monday, in a Facebook post that was deleted on Wednesday."

lol this nursing home was apparently trying to cover up a bunch of dead old people

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I hate people. There is a bunch of people I know getting their trumpbux who are already planning to waste it on entirely stupid poo poo instead of saving it for the inevitable rainy day that is going to come down sooner rather than later, and may in fact already be here. One of my friends was just bragging to me a few hours ago about how he was getting a PS4 Pro with his money on Craigslist and spending most of the rest on other frivolous crap. I feel like I'm the only person in my friend's group who is even aware of the concept of saving.

I bet you anything there are way more of these morons out there as well, wastefully spending what they should try to conserve.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Synthetic Dreams posted:

There has already been an anti lockdown protest in Michigan?

There was, yes. One thing to keep in mind though is that protests like that one are performed by a very loud but very small minority. Most people know the orders to shelter in place and limit non essential travel are for the good of the public health and safety. They also know the protesters are giant bitch babies who think they, to quote the fuckin' president, 'have the right to do whatever we want'. They're viewed as spoiled rear end in a top hat toddlers having a tantrum because they can't go to the hair salon.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Synthetic Dreams posted:

I'm moderately terrified by the amount of unrest stirring in the USA over the lockdown. Many people think that this lockdown is to rob the virus of available hosts, but it's actually just to stop hospital systems from being overwhelmed.

Those are the same goal, robbing the virus of available hosts is what stops hospital systems from being overwhelmed. But I know what you mean, bringing the true infection rate below 1 was always a long shot

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I hope one day we look back at old age homes the same way we look back at Victorian work houses

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

AnnoyBot posted:

I'm pretty sure they quarantined anyone who set foot in the fever clinic, until they tested negative. That's the secret sauce. That's the harsh poo poo that the US is super not doing.

I'm paraphrasing this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3gCbkeARbY

And not at home. Imagine those chud protesters in this scenario he laid out

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Those people in Lansing were just the typical MAGA CHUDS. If it's just random people then I will be concerned. But polling suggests that the majority of people are taking this seriously and understand why we are doing quarantines/lockdowns.

For what it's worth, the worst fights I've seen on Facebook is on pro-lockdown posts by people who are usually MAGA chuds. The other chuds just launch an all out assault, and the less crazy ones waded right into the fight against them. That usually unbreakable wall of fantasy broke for a lot of them. So I genuinely believe that there is solid majority support of the lockdown. Part of the problem is that it seems like it's made the hardened ones support it even less.

In a way it's nice to see them seeing their own bullshit unmasked against them in those fights. They seemed surprised that the echo chamber they lived in could suddenly turn against them so violently.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

VikingSkull posted:

That wasn’t the model though? Unless dude above was just lieing really well

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VikingSkull posted:

Ah, Schrodinger's quarantine strategy. Wait to declare whether it works or not depending on who does it. Genius.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gologle posted:

I hate people. There is a bunch of people I know getting their trumpbux who are already planning to waste it on entirely stupid poo poo instead of saving it for the inevitable rainy day that is going to come down sooner rather than later, and may in fact already be here. One of my friends was just bragging to me a few hours ago about how he was getting a PS4 Pro with his money on Craigslist and spending most of the rest on other frivolous crap. I feel like I'm the only person in my friend's group who is even aware of the concept of saving.

I bet you anything there are way more of these morons out there as well, wastefully spending what they should try to conserve.

One of the ideas behind giving people a bunch of cash on hand is so that they go out and spend it on poo poo.
The idea is that if you give people "free cash" they'll buy poo poo which will kick start the economy, moving the money into local/american businesses/sellers hands, and then up the chain.

Now, you can argue an awful lot about how effective all that is. But, it's a valid stance to be making that they're very well in their rights to spend it now on whatever and that's actually a GOOD thing overall, as opposed to hoarding the money and letting the already slowed economy stagnate further.

Again, on an individual by individual basis, how wise is that? And will this plan truly work? I'm not saying yes or no. But this IS part of the reasoning behind getting this economic stimulus out there.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My town started a "you gotta wear a mask in public policy" and my uncle lost his poo poo talking about his freedoms and honestly I think I'll skip the middleman and to tase him myself.

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747

QuarkJets posted:

Those are the same goal, robbing the virus of available hosts is what stops hospital systems from being overwhelmed. But I know what you mean, bringing the true infection rate below 1 was always a long shot

Yeah, but to date, there has been very little media acknowledgement of a lockdown state extending two years into the future. The model that Dr. Fauci is using is super optimistic, and I think states in the northeast & western USA will be reasonably okay heading into the future, but I have no faith that more conservative states are going to press forward with long term shutdowns against the wishes of Donald Trump. And I'm already seeing some maddening talk amongst anarchist/more left leaning communities about pursuing anti lockdown protests to not allow the federal government to exercise more control over our society too. I dunno. I'm kinda anxious because I think we're gonna have at least a few major riots within the next year.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Beef City posted:

One of the ideas behind giving people a bunch of cash on hand is so that they go out and spend it on poo poo.
The idea is that if you give people "free cash" they'll buy poo poo which will kick start the economy, moving the money into local/american businesses/sellers hands, and then up the chain.

I think it's better if we start off at the top. You see, if you give the rich people more money it will, let's say... trickle down.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Burt Sexual posted:

That wasn’t the model though? Unless dude above was just lieing really well

There's like dozens of videos of the PLA welding bars across apartment and house doors to enforce quarantines. It's not like they locked them in to die, they made sure they had food and whatever medication they needed, but c'mon. You know drat well that no matter the administration in the States that wasn't gonna fly here.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

VikingSkull posted:

There's like dozens of videos of the PLA welding bars across apartment and house doors to enforce quarantines. It's not like they locked them in to die, they made sure they had food and whatever medication they needed, but c'mon. You know drat well that no matter the administration in the States that wasn't gonna fly here.

Did you watch the video how China did the lockdown when they got serious?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FlamingLiberal posted:

Those people in Lansing were just the typical MAGA CHUDS.
This photo is amazing
https://twitter.com/DispatchAlerts/status/1250022758555308034

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm waiting to hear the inevitable stories of this happening at nursing homes here in FL

The governor has gone out of his way to block the public from knowing the extent of the spread in them

Same in Ohio. There's 700 reported cases of COVID-19 in long care facilities but they're not disclosing the number of deaths:
https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200...ed?rssfeed=true

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

Did you watch the video how China did the lockdown when they got serious?

Yes, and locking people in a clinic would have similar results here due to how our civil rights work.

I feel like you know this already.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Big Beef City posted:

Again, on an individual by individual basis, how wise is that? And will this plan truly work? I'm not saying yes or no. But this IS part of the reasoning behind getting this economic stimulus out there.

I understand the basics of economics as well as any other guy who actually paid attention in their classes back in school. In principle, you are absolutely correct. The problem is human nature. There a lot of poor people for whom $1,200 all at once is a big deal, and most of them are dumb and will go into a frenzy chasing short term pleasures instead of being wise about how they spend their cash. I wouldn't be complaining if my friends spent it on, say, food, bills, other necessities. But these motherfuckers don't even finish most of the games they do buy, they just like having a massive backlog they will never get around to because ???

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Spinz posted:

Man am I glad to read this. Please keep posting itt ok, I believe you that you feel better; you know your body- but this thing has gone back and forth for others and reading that you are ok matters extra to me.

I dunno why, one of our few ladies maybe.

It is just really good to hear, I was scared for you :sympathy:

Thanks! :3: it was good to open up to ya'll about my scary Roni experience, particularly since I was downplaying how bad my case was to my mom so she wouldn't lose her mind with worry. (Fortunately my folks are taking this very seriously.) If any more of ya'll catch this, I hope you post updates too. God knows maybe we'll end up collecting more useful data about this fucker than the CDC will dole out.

Also, this thread needs a gangtag for being the only Covid thread on this drat site that isn't totally insufferable. I can't believe this horrible plague got me posting in GBS again.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Synthetic Dreams posted:

Yeah, but to date, there has been very little media acknowledgement of a lockdown state extending two years into the future. The model that Dr. Fauci is using is super optimistic, and I think states in the northeast & western USA will be reasonably okay heading into the future, but I have no faith that more conservative states are going to press forward with long term shutdowns against the wishes of Donald Trump. And I'm already seeing some maddening talk amongst anarchist/more left leaning communities about pursuing anti lockdown protests to not allow the federal government to exercise more control over our society too. I dunno. I'm kinda anxious because I think we're gonna have at least a few major riots within the next year.

Hey, the far-left isn't wrong there is a very real risk at the US government taking and keeping extra power as a result of public fear a la patriot act and 9/11.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't listen for now and wear our masks and stay home if we can etc. But you have to be very careful these temporary measures don't turn into a george bush jr jack off session that never ends.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Gologle posted:

I hate people. There is a bunch of people I know getting their trumpbux who are already planning to waste it on entirely stupid poo poo instead of saving it for the inevitable rainy day that is going to come down sooner rather than later, and may in fact already be here.
My wife and I put it away in savings. If either or both of us become unemployed it'd be nice to have a little something to fall back on briefly.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm still working and got my Trump Bux today. My first thought is "hell yeah, free money" - but then I'm thinking; if I lose my job, this one-time(?) payment won't be worth a darn.

I really wish we had real testing. Like, mass testing of everyone to see who has antibodies.

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gologle posted:

That was my plan but I figure I might as well put it toward paying off my car. I only have a year or so left so this will help get me there a little faster.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Well it's like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQE66WA2s-A but people now have phones that can record video. Oh wait was that too modern? I got you covered still http://www.hamsterdance.org/hamsterdance/. Wait not old enough? No problem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_the_Giant_Has_a_Posse. It's okay that might be too modern for you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here. Alright that should be old enough!

weird it looked like a music video to me

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
y'all. as a T1 diabetic in the rural south without a job or health insurance... i'm stressed beyond belief. can i just rant for a second? i'm gonna rant for a second.

here's a tale about horrible timing. i quit my job at the end of january to spend 3 months in japan, farting around on a tourist visa. get there no problem on feb 5th. in mid-february, as you know, japan started to close attractions and cancel events. honestly the worst things about the trip wasn't the lack of things to do, but not knowing enough of the language to get my news first-hand and all my folks back home being asleep when i needed to talk to someone. i was pretty stressed out and afraid by the time my sister and i decided to cut the trip short at the end of march.

i'm an american. my sister married a canadian some years ago and has permanent residency. the contrast between the way these two countries care (or don't) for their citizens has been so goddamn heartbreaking. united states department of state's official statement on getting citizens back home was, "don't rely on us." meanwhile, canada offers loans to citizens to get flights back. i'm sure this is all old news to you, but gently caress it was hard to see when i was trying to get back home. which i did.

i get home and quarantine for 14 days. just waiting around for two weeks to see if i have covid-19. at this point i have convinced myself catching it will be certain death due to my comorbidity. i'm alone, watching my members of my own family and close friends continue to visit the grocery multiple times a week, visit friends and lovers, host parties, etc. i feel completely loving helpless here. i wasn't able to prepare for this while abroad. i won't be able to get a job anytime soon. i can't file for unemployment. i am so, so lucky to have a stockpile of insulin and an awesome endo who will help me get more for nearly free if not totally free. i feel simultaneously blessed and cursed to be able to live with family until i can figure out a viable plan. but this feeling powerlessness and vulnerability, contemplating my mortality for the first time... this poo poo suxxx. but honestly!!! what is really frustrating!!! i've never been healthier than i am today. part of me keeps whispering these little hopes like "diabetics have a 40% mortality rate because of all the unhealthy/noncomplaint/T2s. you're a fit T1." but like, any kind of hope or optimism seems silly right now. but i guess stress is bad for your immune system so maybe i should meditate or do yoga twice a day instead of just once.

anyways, all that to say i have to go grocery shopping tomorrow for the first time since i got back, and i'm really scared. lol.

oh and i got my tumpbux today so that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Gologle posted:

The problem is human nature. There a lot of poor people for whom $1,200 all at once is a big deal, and most of them are dumb

Hmmm