Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Tiggum posted:

Oh wow, it's "what if Star Trek but everything all at once and twice as dramatic".

That sums up the plot of the game - it's got Borg Invasion, Klingon Civil War, Sword of Kahless, Sela, Omega Particles, Time Travel, Time Loops, Loctucus, Baku Planet, and more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

There's nothing wrong with a little gore or body horror now and then, the new stuff would probably feel less gratuitous if these shows were a tenth as deep as they sold themselves as

Ok so there's nothing actually wrong with the thing being claimed to be a big bad thing except the show also wasn't as <subjective viewpoint about quality with no fixed definition> as it should have been.

Agreed. Star POOP PRICKCARD was fine to have mean murders (:*() but it was also extremely poopy (lol) and did a big fart so it was bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thom12255 posted:

That sums up the plot of the game - it's got Borg Invasion, Klingon Civil War, Sword of Kahless, Sela, Omega Particles, Time Travel, Time Loops, Loctucus, Baku Planet, and more!
It’s also cloned Locutus for some reason

The first Borg mission is to assimilate a Dominion cloning station so that they can clone him. Which makes absolutely no sense since the Borg make it clear in BoBW that once they assimilated him they kept all of his knowledge. So it’s literally just to have a Borg drone that looks like Picard

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Look one time they phasered an evil mind-controlled admiral and he blew up so no one is allowed to say it's bad if they stab a recurring child guest star in the eye with a fork in extreme closeup.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
All that Armada trailer did was make me wish someone still made Star Trek video games in 2020.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was always sad the show never got the chance to do that bit where the defiant flies through the middle of a warbird and bombs it though.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

Ok so there's nothing actually wrong with the thing being claimed to be a big bad thing except the show also wasn't as <subjective viewpoint about quality with no fixed definition> as it should have been.

Agreed. Star POOP PRICKCARD was fine to have mean murders (:*() but it was also extremely poopy (lol) and did a big fart so it was bad.

You're about as incoherent as the show ended up being, congratulations I guess

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hed posted:

All that Armada trailer did was make me wish someone still made Star Trek video games in 2020.

One of these days some absolute madman is gonna put in the work to get Bridge Commander 2 greenlit and I hope I’m alive to see it.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

One of these days some absolute madman is gonna put in the work to get Bridge Commander 2 greenlit and I hope I’m alive to see it.

Isn't this basically what that VR game is?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Pastamania posted:

Isn't this basically what that VR game is?

The thing is that you don’t need several expensive VR systems to play bridge commander, though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The VR game can also be played normally.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's really crazy how badly CBS and Paramount dropped the ball on the brand in the last decade/decade and a half. You can count the number of actual Trek games on one hand (I'm not including the mobile poo poo). There was very little in the way of official merch outside of the very niche expensive crap until they started with the new CBS shows.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

and I thought Elite Force II was stupid-fun

I clearly missed out on a good fleet game

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I liked Elite Force 1 better to be honest

They got the entire Voyager cast (eventually, Jeri Ryan was not in the original game but got patched in later with an expansion)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I liked Elite Force 1 better to be honest

They got the entire Voyager cast (eventually, Jeri Ryan was not in the original game but got patched in later with an expansion)

Yes EF1 was much, much better. There was a lot of jank in EF2, possibly due to the developer and engine switch.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

You know, now that I think about it, I have to wonder if having done the rather corny dialogue and scenarios for these games made Patrick Stewart more receptive to mediocre material when it came time to do a TV show again.

I gave up on Elite Force II somewhere around the First Contact-aping mission on the Enterprise hull.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Yes EF1 was much, much better. There was a lot of jank in EF2, possibly due to the developer and engine switch.
EF1 actually used some species from Voyager to better effect, whereas in EF2 you mostly battle these aliens who were made for that game

I also appreciated the level in EF1 where you go onto a ship that is several ships smashed together- a Klingon ship, a Terran Imperial ship, and I think a Hirogen one

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Picard talking to...Picard
out of 10.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

EF1 actually used some species from Voyager to better effect, whereas in EF2 you mostly battle these aliens who were made for that game

I also appreciated the level in EF1 where you go onto a ship that is several ships smashed together- a Klingon ship, a Terran Imperial ship, and I think a Hirogen one

EF1 was developed by Raven, which made some legitimately great games before becoming a COD multiplayer factory for Activision. EF2 was developed by Ritual, whose pedigree is, uh ... not good.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Armada 2's campaign is a bore to get through compared to Armada 1 which is insane but great fun.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The best Armada level is the early Fed one where you have to build a fleet using scavenged ships hidden around the map and take on a Borg (?) base.

I never played EF but Armada and the Bridge Commander demo were extremely my jam. I remember Legacy for the 360 being alright but I haven’t played it since just after it was released.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

Armada 2's campaign is a bore to get through compared to Armada 1 which is insane but great fun.
I'm not sure if I ever finished the Armada 2 campaign to be honest

Armada 1 I played a ton of

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Klingon Academy is where it’s at. Bring on the ginsu system.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really crazy how badly CBS and Paramount dropped the ball on the brand in the last decade/decade and a half. You can count the number of actual Trek games on one hand (I'm not including the mobile poo poo).

It's the same everywhere - EA Games only just put out the first single-player Star Wars game since LucasArts shut down, and the only other SW games they've made are their two mediocre Battlefronts. They've completly failed to put out anything that ties into the new trilogy.

Outside of mobile garbage, licensed games just don't get made anymore...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Licenses used to get handed out like candy because you could pay a dozen guys for like 10 months for a combined salary under seven figures and still make a cool profit as a result. The rise of the AAA gaming scene and the massively ballooning production costs with no guarantee of break-even scared all the licensors off from the market.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, the old genres it used to be easier and cheaper to develop for died. You won't see a Birth of the Federation or Armada these days, they're too niche.

I still think Trek would've been ripe for some episodic telltale style adventures but that would be thinking too far out of the box for CBS.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://trekmovie.com/2020/04/15/rosario-dawson-wants-to-play-q-in-star-trek-picard-and-discovery-too/

:lol: absolutely not. i don't want someone who dragged a trans person of their house and beat them with their family

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

It's the same everywhere - EA Games only just put out the first single-player Star Wars game since LucasArts shut down, and the only other SW games they've made are their two mediocre Battlefronts. They've completly failed to put out anything that ties into the new trilogy.

Outside of mobile garbage, licensed games just don't get made anymore...
There were a bunch of SW games getting made before EA got the exclusive rights

Star Trek games basically disappeared once Activision lost the rights to make licensed games (and this was like 2002). After that it’s just like Star Trek Legacy and that JJTrek 3rd person shooter.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There were a bunch of SW games getting made before EA got the exclusive rights

Star Trek games basically disappeared once Activision lost the rights to make licensed games (and this was like 2002). After that it’s just like Star Trek Legacy and that JJTrek 3rd person shooter.

Star Trek Legacy was so disappointing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Recasting Q is exactly the kind of mistake modern Star Trek would make.

Yes, the fans love the character Q. They don't care who plays them at all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Recasting Q is exactly the kind of mistake modern Star Trek would make.

Yes, the fans love the character Q. They don't care who plays them at all.

I've no time for new Trek at this point but I don't think this is fair. If there's one thing they do know it's big fan pleasing stunt casting, even to the point where it's been a detriment to the plot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

I've no time for new Trek at this point but I don't think this is fair. If there's one thing they do know it's big fan pleasing stunt casting, even to the point where it's been a detriment to the plot.

I'm saying any stunt casting would be a bad idea. The fans love John de Lancie, not Q.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
De Lancie or no one. He wore a red uniform with 4 pips to mock Picard. His age can have the same explanation.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I'm saying any stunt casting would be a bad idea. The fans love John de Lancie, not Q.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, they knew to bring back Brent Spiner for Data and Jonathan Frakes for Riker, they know the fans want to see John De Lancie as Q, that is like the one thing you can say in favour of the new Trek regime.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying, they knew to bring back Brent Spiner for Data and Jonathan Frakes for Riker, they know the fans want to see John De Lancie as Q, that is like the one thing you can say in favour of the new Trek regime.

Ohhhhhhh. I wouldn't call casting Brent Spiner as Data "stunt casting", but I see what you mean.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Stunt casting can work in certain circumstances. Andy Dick, as annoying and horrible as he is, works at the EMH Mk 2. That said, he's not playing the same character as Robert Picardo, and that sort of re-casting doesn't work.

Unless you're replacing Terrance Howard with Don Cheadle.

John DeLancie is Q, and if they aren't bringing him back, they should bring Q back, especially as a foil to Picard.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Q should have warned them about the Reapers, complete galactic genocide if someone pushes a button seems like a much bigger problem than the Borg's half-arsed civilisational attempted genocides

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Next season will end with RoboPicard dying, only to have Q bring him back to life in a human body.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Retrowave Joe posted:

Next season will end with RoboPicard dying, only to have Q bring him back to life as Tom Hardy.

Corrected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Who then kills himself irl