Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Boku ga Watashi ni Naru Tame ni

The same author also has a post-apocalyptic sci-fi with sad robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, an uplifting shonen battle cheer for peeing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Baku's tactic in the newest Usogui is pretty excellent.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/854729/1

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Baku's tactic in the newest Usogui is pretty excellent.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/854729/1

yeah, holy loving poo poo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
SHUT THE gently caress UP OUT IS BACK

https://mangadex.org/chapter/857894/1

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ANOTHER CHAPTER OF OUT
a new miniboss has been engaged in combat

https://mangadex.org/chapter/859871/1

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just started reading Usogui (I think I may have read some years back, but don't remember much), and Kaji is definitely in love with Baku

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I take it all back
I like Air Poker now.

Jesus this gamble
https://mangadex.org/chapter/862851/1

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I started on Usogui and... I dunno. Three gambles in and it feels like it's falling into a lot of traps I see in gambling manga. A main character who's secretly always in control of the situation (when you really don't have enough evidence as a reader to have any idea what they're thinking, or what's going on), backing the MC into a corner way too quickly, and cheats that are just flat impossible like the very first bit of gambling being "this dealer can control exactly where the roulette ball falls. I feel like that specific bit is always such a terrible sign. And the games just aren't that interesting, either.

Basically what I'm saying is that Kaiji is a goddamn masterpiece, and Liar Game was also very good up until it wasn't.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tbh it was like three arcs in before i found usogui's hook, because i'd agree that the early gambles are not particularly special and it just kinda keeps baku and kaji in the same boring roles

in retrospect that was like 70 chapters i was mostly reading because the art is good and hoping for improvement so i wouldn't blame anyone if they dropped out, i guess. i definitely have found the stuff since then to compelling and worth it though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah, it's not a super strong start but it gets increasingly better.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how the scene where Caracal shows up plays with the reader's expectations. During that scene I was 100% expecting it to be something showing how badass Kakerou is and having the American mafia guy get owned, but then the American mafia guy turned out to be some top tier badass and just wrecks everyone.

One other thing I like about this is that Kaji actually changes as a character. This manga would kind of suck if it was just Baku, or if Baku's only companions were people standing on the sidelines commenting on how he's owning everyone.

edit: also lol at DIE YOBBO

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 21, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've liked the series at times but there's definitely a couple of plot points that just got really confusing or sort of came out of nowhere. Kinda like Hal / leader stuff was kinda all over, the current ref zero and his brother and a couple of other things just sorta got quickly slammed in after a plot twist in like 1 chapter without much detail and then the story builds a bunch on it after despite little descriptions of it before. .

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how Kaji apparently has the philosophical ex-weapons dealer as his companion now (I'm at chapter 149 now).

edit: drat, Kaji just said "it'll be my win for sure" - he's hosed (or at least is going to run into a lot of trouble that he has to overcome).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 23, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

That Works posted:

I've liked the series at times but there's definitely a couple of plot points that just got really confusing or sort of came out of nowhere. Kinda like Hal / leader stuff was kinda all over, the current ref zero and his brother and a couple of other things just sorta got quickly slammed in after a plot twist in like 1 chapter without much detail and then the story builds a bunch on it after despite little descriptions of it before. .

I think that's a result of the translation not being good and possibly from Japanese > Chinese > English

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In Ragna Crimson, we learn how to deal with Time Stop powers.

And there's a new chapter of Berserk, but I can't find the thread.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
I was postponing rereading Usogui but lack of updates drove me to it. And maaaan I didn't remember anything from the start. Like Kaiji being there at all and Yakou being first referee shown. Makes me appreciate his character development that much more. Also art in this manga is soooo goood at perfect moments even starting out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's a good reason for that.

Don't dig any deeper.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's a new thread that is only for Berserk, not Miura's other stuff

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904041&pagenumber=3

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Another group picked up Shiori Experience and it looks like we'll be getting weekly updates now so :woop:
The series had flavors of how harsh the road to musical mastery has been, but the current arc more than other training arcs reminded me the most of Whiplash.

Sax got torn down to pieces So she could rebuild herself into a better performer.

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's a clever way to counter that skillset.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Sax got torn down to pieces So she could rebuild herself into a better performer.

This was a really good chapter, and the art is so good at selling the emotions of each moment. All these big splash panels and action shots are just so alive.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Puzzles are serious business.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie has the Jack vs. Hercules epilogue.

Looks like Okita is next. Feels like a lot of overlap with Kojirou since they're both swordsmen. Also, another chapter tomorrow.

Edit: Actually, there's a link to a google drive with the next chapter in the comics. It's Raiden. Much better choice. His opponent is Shiva who I've been pretty hyped for.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 3, 2020

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I THINK THE LOUDEST MANGA HAS A PLACE HERE

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

Looks like Okita is next. Feels like a lot of overlap with Kojirou since they're both swordsmen. Also, another chapter tomorrow.

Edit: Actually, there's a link to a google drive with the next chapter in the comics. It's Raiden. Much better choice. His opponent is Shiva who I've been pretty hyped for.

My guess is that in the next fight the human just gets curb stomped. We've had two human wins in a row and the loss before that was a moral victory.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Shumatsu is way better than Tournament the Manga has any right to be.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth TNT posted:

I mean, it makes sense; most of the time, the tournament arc ends up being a distraction from the plot in favor of fights. In Valkyrie, though, the tournament is the plot, so every fight is 100% relevant, as is going into the backstory and motivations and stuff of both fighters in every fight; in another series, what would often serve as filler is instead central to what the manga's about and the themes it's exploring.

Also, by being about a tournament, there's no reason for people to want the tournament to end already and go back to what the manga is "really" about; the tournament itself is what you're here for.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I'm going to be surprised if humanity straight-up wins the next fight, because Raiden really feels like the type of guy who's gonna die in a magnificent blaze of glory. It doesn't help that he's fighting one of the central gods of the Hindu pantheon, who comes from a mythology with no shortage of over-the-top displays of power.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

100% chance shiva uses the Brahmastra

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

It's fantasy pro wrestling. The best fights so far have had great ring entrances for the characters and plenty of banter. That's why I'm excited for Raiden vs Shiva because they absolutely nailed Raiden's intro and Shiva had already been denied 2 fights leading up to this. This should be a great tie-breaker match.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I want Ravana to be commentary.

By the way, thanks for linking this. That was super interesting.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 10, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the violence action has a new chapter

https://mangadex.org/chapter/886169/1

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

A Trail of Blood, Chapter 74

After Mangastream went kaput I forgot about A Trail of Blood but lo and behold some other individual/group picked it up and it's been quite a ride.

The whole police interrogation flipped everything for me. Partly because I only partly remember the early parts of the manga and can't check back anymore so I can only accept Seiichi's words and partly because this sort of unhappiness isn't something I'm sure I would notice. Of course, Seiichi's description to this point is probably still entangled with his mother so while he may be accurately seeing his mom's misery now I wonder if there was this sort of deliberate freezing out of Seiichi and his mother. I don't recall Shigeru being that bad and I seem to remember him actually trying to have a sort of heart to heart with Seiichi.

It's just...been a weird and wild ride and it's all coming together for me in a way I didn't expect. I'm just glad that the detective seems...understanding? It might be an act to get more testimony but it's nice to have someone help Seiichi separate himself from his mother.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 12, 2020

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
every loving manga by that author is just a grueling series of kicks in the nuts that you can't stop reading

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

OK, BUT WHAT IF WE SCREAMED IN ELVISH?!?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well, Wakusei Closet ended. I was liking it up until the last chapter when it just kinda ends without resolving much. I don’t think it got cancelled so I wonder what happened.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

RatHat posted:

Well, Wakusei Closet ended. I was liking it up until the last chapter when it just kinda ends without resolving much. I don’t think it got cancelled so I wonder what happened.

I was reading this as well. One day I def need to reread it all in one sitting because I admittedly found the latter half hard to follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

RatHat posted:

I thought it was perfect (like Inland Empire!) although with the slow update pace it's hard to keep track of the early details, like the author says in the end it's probably best enjoyed reading twice, maybe I'll do that in a few years. She obviously had the whole story mapped out before starting.