Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

well now I'm confused about tyson getting four votes

Steal a vote used

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think that counts as a Chris win since he won't have spent literally 80% of the game on the edge with the Jury

Yeah, he's definitely been around a lot more than Chris was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Steal a vote used

The minority alliance had three votes: Tyson, Kim, and Michelle's.

Sophie got two votes.

Michelle voted with the majority.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Nice :unsmith:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

How is Nick in that alliance instead of the other one? Makes no sense?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

The minority alliance had three votes: Tyson, Kim, and Michelle's.

Sophie got two votes.

Michelle voted with the majority.

OH poo poo I missed that. Was this flip telegraphed?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm so confused about the alliances in general this season

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

OH poo poo I missed that. Was this flip telegraphed?

Not a little bit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

Steal a vote used

please refer to this post

IcePhoenix posted:

I like the steal a vote play, they can write two names down so even with a well played idol it's a tie at worst

in theory it should have been 3/3/3 but I guess someone flipped

Fast Luck posted:

How is Nick in that alliance instead of the other one? Makes no sense?

Sophie I assume

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IcePhoenix posted:

I like the steal a vote play, they can write two names down so even with a well played idol it's a tie at worst
Yeah, once Jeremy peaced AND they stole a vote, they were idol proof if they went 3-3-3. Kim probably shouldn’t have bothered unless she was saving herself.

Did Michele really flip? It was 4-3-2?

I don’t wholly blame Jeremy for leaving - better than staying and going home with the tribal evac in your pocket - but if he stays and Kim plays her idol on him they can knock someone out there and take the numbers, even with Sarah’s vote steal.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, once Jeremy peaced AND they stole a vote, they were idol proof if they went 3-3-3. Kim probably shouldn’t have bothered unless she was saving herself.

Did Michele really flip? It was 4-3-2?

5-2-2, so the majority split as if they knew Michelle was flipping.

Kim playing the idol on Denise was an absolute misplay. She should have played it on herself or not at all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DAMMIT KIM :smith:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm really loving confused about what happened. I need to watch that episode again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I still maintain Steal a Vote is by far the most powerful advantage in this show.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

SalTheBard posted:

I'm so confused about the alliances in general this season

Honestly I just need labels on the players at all times.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm really loving confused about what happened. I need to watch that episode again.

Not sure it'll help, we had to make extra time to ask 25 people how they feel seeing a loved one so no time to show what's happening in the game!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

My best guess is that Nick and Michelle are trying a pivot strategy? They swung together to Sophie's side this week, but if they swing next week it'll be 5 (Nick, Michelle, Kim, Denise, Jeremy) v 4 (Sophie, Tony, Sarah, Ben).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

I still maintain Steal a Vote is by far the most powerful advantage in this show.

Absolutely

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

pokeyman posted:

Not sure it'll help, we had to make extra time to ask 25 people how they feel seeing a loved one so no time to show what's happening in the game!

This is a gross exaggeration you joyless robot.

It was 19 people.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/SpradlinKim/status/1250589405640785920

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Bloop posted:

Lmao

I'm made out of fast and sloppy

TV IV › Survivor S40: I'm made out of fast and sloppy

sure was fuckin great we got like, 4 minutes of gameplay this episode

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That was bad. I'm normally not a fan of family visit episodes so seeing Nadiya's baby didn't make up for burning 30 minutes and going to a vote that didn't make sense.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012

Raxivace posted:

People keep claiming it is way too situational of an advantage. But it is a two vote swing because the other side is losing one while you gain one. That is incredibly strong. As long as that advantage is in the game we are going to have less close tense votes.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Surprised Kim didn't just play the idol on herself. Once Jeremy is gone and Sarah steals the vote it's (at best) 6-3 which means the majority can split. Also Sophie knows Kim has an idol, so they almost certainly would split if they could. At that point the only use of the idol is as individual immunity, so if you're going to play it may as well save yourself and live to see another day.

On the other hand, there was a mysterious extra Tyson vote and the split was a weird 5-2 rather than the 4-3 you would expect, so who the hell knows what happened there. And, of course, it didn't matter anyway since Kim received no votes.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Very disappointed they didn't make the kids do a potato sack race or balance an egg on a spoon. Bring back Endurance!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Very disappointed they didn't make the kids do a potato sack race or balance an egg on a spoon. Bring back Endurance!

Monroe for season 42

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It would have been great to have any real sense of why there was a hard tribal divide that broke down the way it did

They gotta tone down the This Game Is Chaotic!!! editing so it's not obfuscating actual working relationships

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Got 25 minutes of Jeff’s deep insights like “the thing about a brother-sister relationship is that neither of you is the parent”

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
Jeremy's "I'm out of here" power would be a lot more useful if tribal council wasn't extended to allow a literal HUDDLE to determine who next to throw votes to afterward. Would be cool to force the dominant alliance to have a predetermined contingency or to fail by excessively splitting votes.

Also allowing Sarah to play her vote steal after opting not to - twice - feels bizarre.

Just a really big mess of a tribal all around.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah as much as I appreciate Sophie going "gently caress it, if getting up and whispering is allowed let's just take this to its logical conclusion" they really gotta stop letting people do that

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The only truly out-of-nowhere thing this episode was Sarah gunning for Kim. Everything else makes enough sense in context.

Pinterest Mom posted:

My best guess is that Nick and Michelle are trying a pivot strategy?

Right, I think those two must have an understanding of some sort. Jeremy/Tyson/Kim/Denise is a foursome of people who would almost certainly all get votes to win at the end. If Nick and Michelle hitch their wagons to the Tony/Sophie/Sarah/Ben wagon, they can at least try and work out a final three arrangement with Ben, who is basically the only one playing any semblance of a goat game right now, and in any case, yeah, they could just as easily flip back to the minority alliance next week to take out somebody like Tony or Sophie.

Also, Nick's very forced comment during TC about how his two main allies (Yul and Wendell) had been voted out seemed designed to misdirect people away from his relationship with Michelle.

Tony looks like the top dog right now and I can't say I would mind him winning. He is playing a Good Game™, thanks in large part to an ideal alliance arrangement. I think Sophie is getting a "playing a good game but is getting blindsided soon" edit.

Having literally half an episode devoted to loved one visits is a new Survivor low. It's also another indication of how much production probably had to bend over backwards to convince this exact group to participate. The chance of getting back in via EofE, the increased cash prize, and now, automatic time spent with loved ones for all. We knew that Amber, and now Jeremy, had to be talked into playing...I'd be surprised if the cast hadn't been given some sort of vague assurances that there'd be unusual benefits to playing this season.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 16, 2020

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Episode with a lot of poo poo happening strategically wise, spent more than half of it on the family visit...

Then they read only 8 of the 9 votes and instead of showing how the survivors voted, they show the EOE players hugging Jeff for having their families show up...

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Tellah posted:

Jeremy's "I'm out of here" power would be a lot more useful if tribal council wasn't extended to allow a literal HUDDLE to determine who next to throw votes to afterward. Would be cool to force the dominant alliance to have a predetermined contingency or to fail by excessively splitting votes.

Also allowing Sarah to play her vote steal after opting not to - twice - feels bizarre.

Just a really big mess of a tribal all around.

I don't why Kim's group let the other group run away like that. If that alliance wants to strategize at Tribal I think that's fine, but the price they pay for that is they can't physically get away from others who want to eavesdrop. But then Kim and crew just let them go away and have a moment??

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Why did the big group not split the votes 3-3-3? If Kim had correctly deduced that it was Tyson and Michele had not flipped they ran the risk of getting one of theirs sent home...

Why were Nick and Michele on totally different sides of the vote? Were they on the same page after all because they voted together???

This episode was a loving mess.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Why did the big group not split the votes 3-3-3? If Kim had correctly deduced that it was Tyson and Michele had not flipped they ran the risk of getting one of theirs sent home...

Why were Nick and Michele on totally different sides of the vote? Were they on the same page after all because they voted together???

Wouldn’t you like to know what strategy discussions happened?? Tough poo poo, here’s some people’s kids

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

JesusSinfulHands posted:

This episode was a loving mess.

Yeah I've been running scenarios in my head and it's a tough one to figure out.

There could have been a 5-2-2 vote split, though Michelle (by process of elimination) would have had to be in on the plan from the get-go, which doesn't sound too farfetched. The Nick-Michelle alliance still sounds right to me but we'll see.

Another possibility is that Michelle decided to vote against her squad when it became clear that their chances were greatly diminished. I guess it was common knowledge that Kim had an idol, so it was fair to assume she might play it on herself, leaving Tyson and Denise as the alternatives. The problem with this model is that it presupposes not only that the group botched the vote split, but also that the majority alliance was unable to reach a consensus at all, or/and one or both of the Denise votes were cast as misdirection.

However, I'm inclined to believe that the 5-2-2 split was always the plan, with Tyson getting the majority and Jeremy getting the minority, and the main TC uncertainty arising from the question of who to give Jeremy's votes to.

Wild guess:
2-Sophie (Kim, Tyson)
2-Denise (possibly Ben, as suggested by his "what now?" comment at TC, and somebody else)
5-Tyson (the rest of the majority alliance folk plus Michelle, who didn't have to change her vote and thus didn't have to be privy to the TC gameplan session)

PepeSilvia.jpg

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 16, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe a bit too much family time, but eh, I'm willing to let it slide. It's a once-in-a-show's-lifetime kinda thing.

I do think that Tyson was the right vote out; Kim is just as dangerous, but Tyson has more friends on the jury.

I'm also giving up on predicting anything anymore since the alliances keep shifting. The only one that seems to have any stability is Sophie/Sarah.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I am watching on the CBS website right now and came here to complain about what everyone else is: The first 14 minutes devoted to family intros. Yikes. And now they're doing an EoE family thing. This might as well be a recap episode.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I loved Tony taking two seconds before Jeremy was out of earshot before saying 'let's blindside Jeremy.'

Tony is about to let loose, and I'm thrilled for it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vernacular posted:

The only truly out-of-nowhere thing this episode was Sarah gunning for Kim. Everything else makes enough sense in context.

Agreed but I also thought all the kids running around the island was out-of-nowhere.

When Kim said that she has to know who they're voting for I thought for sure someone would go over and listen or...something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also according to Twitter, Sandra also got her family at Ponderosa.