Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KakerMix posted:

It's just a bit at odds with everything else about it, the sealing trim between the fender extensions and the main body of the vehicle have been replaced, the steering wheel is a brand new OEM one, the shift boots are brand new, and while they did go through and replace all the amber lenses with clear they did keep all the original lenses. I have them at our warehouse. Then a single-DIN garbage unit installed is just NOT in line with all that.

drat, you REALLY found one that was well taken care of, aside from the stereo.

And on the lights... it's not the amber lenses I dislike (vs white), it's the clear lenses that drive me crazy. They just look so .... off... to me.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

KakerMix posted:

Not just a road flare, but a cool electric one:

I forget what car we took this out of but it follows us with whatever we are driving at the time. Most of the time they are actual flares with the chemicals and the fires, this one is neat because you twist the base and it flashes these bright red LEDs. The truck itself didn't come with one which is atypical.
I bought one of these electric ones for my Acty a few weeks back. I think it was like $12 or something from eBay. Absolutely worth it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Welp it's the Prado that we've been looking for. All the hits, KZ 3.0 turbo diesel engine, 5 speed manual transmission, rear diff lock (not something we were looking for but we got it anyway), 'EX' level which means sunroof, suspension seats, rear heater, upgraded seats and fabric (though the driver's seat is a bit pilly) and probably some other stuff I'm not aware of. The only option it doesn't have is the front bumper winch, but that's OK. Previous owner went ahead and swapped out every amber lens with clear lenses and amber bulbs, along with swapping out the rear tail lights with an LED set. The original paint color of 'really goddamned dark green until you get it in the sun then it sparkles' with secondary silver. I think it looks fantastic. The front bullbar is a nice touch as well, with the almost iridescent PIAA fogs. Came with new BF Goodrich KO2s already. Really all I have done so far is remove the third row seats, wash, polished and waxed it. I have to tackle the stereo situation as it looks like some highschool kid installed this ugly-rear end rave headunit. I patched up the harness behind the headunit and tossed in the OEM tape deck that the buyer of our other Prado graciously sent back to me on my request. I have to gently caress with the rest of the wiring at some point in the future. Exhaust has a leak as well so I'll replace that with a full stainless set here in a bit once the world calms down.

Amazing. What is something like that worth in the US (retail)? Guessing 15-20k.. I don't see it on your site yet.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Kaker you asked about the paint, one of my Skylines def needs paint work, the Lite Ace I don't know it NEEDS it but I may try some other things or offer it as is. Not the time to be spending extra money. I'll sell a few that are ready probably on BAT here in the next month or so, yes BAT is not ideal but I have a few I am in low and will certainly make money on.

Freaking Celsior can not keep the AC cold..and even if I keep that one as a family keeper I have to have AC. Always something

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

sanchez posted:

Amazing. What is something like that worth in the US (retail)? Guessing 15-20k.. I don't see it on your site yet.

Closer to 25k. This Prado is the peak one, the next generation starts turning into Lexus GXs (much in the same way that first gen Hilux Surfs were just Hilux pickups but slowly turned into their own models as time went on) and looses its 70 series core. Great vehicles, but usually not in line with what people looking at 70 series are after. It might not actually ever get on the website because we're probably going to keep this one permanently.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Those clear lenses work insanely well with the two-tone paint. Great color combination.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Those 70 series prados are such an odd looking beast... Its wierd seeing that wide nose front without the big headlights of the current VDJ70's

Where as we see these running around all the time:

The interior is a bit of an odd duck too- Its not quite 70 series, not quite pre update 80 series...

quote:

We got the 70 series, which you could add accessories with a metal tek screw...

And the early 80 series dash

Regardless its an awesome looking truck. I was chasing the sump and pickup off a KZJ70 to fit to the 1KZ motor in my hilux because the surf motor was designed to fit around a stationary diff in the IFS setup, and the solid axle has a bit more travel than that... as the dents in the sump cant attest too!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just stole a turbo diesel Surf. Absolutely rust free.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

everdave fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 2, 2020

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
That looks amazing. Rust free is just a fantasy that I can’t even imagine here in Michigan. Does it seem like the bidding action has died down because of corona? If you have cash, space, and patience it seems like this might be a great time to build up some inventory on the cheap.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I've been thinking its probably a really good time to get deals, but you have to balance with whether or not there is much market here. If you can handle transpo and storage.... it's probably a good time. Unless they fully close the ports (unlikely, but anything could happen.)

Also goes without saying but loving drat that surf is awesome.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 2, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Hello thread.

We've had our first accident as a dealership. Monday, March 23rd my wife took the Rugger out early in the morning in order to gather up things to make tacos for my birthday, which was that very day. She swung by the parking garage we always use to snap some Instagram pictures because we are vapid millennials. I was dead asleep when my phone rang with her on the other end extremely upset and crying and I could barely understand exactly what was going on. Naturally I think the worst, she's hurt, our dog is hurt, someone else was hurt, something. Turns out she just rear-ended a dude in his work truck and everyone was fine. The guy was super cool and was like 'woah lady calm down its ok' as my wife cried that it was my birthday and she ruined my truck and was barely holding it together emotionally. They exchanged info, but the guy was like 'I'm ok and my truck is ok this is all ok, let me know if you need anything' and left, and before I could go get her she drove the Rugger home. It's just a truck and yeah it sucks, but it is insured, everyone is OK and it is superficial damage. It's a big boy body-on-frame rig so the chassis is fine and it drives exactly like it did before, just now the door doesn't open all the way on account of that front fender bowing out. The AC doesn't work anymore because the electric fan is pressed in preventing it from turning by that front lower metal piece directly under the grill. Besides some broken plastic parts and broken lights, it's just bent metal. As its been sitting the radiator is leaking a bit too.

We've already had the adjuster out and he said "This is going to be valued more as a first-gen Bronco so no worries" and accepted our value of $14,000 as it was. The money portion isn't anything I'm worried about as, again, this was insured as inventory and the insurance process for inventory as a dealer is a lot smoother than a personal vehicle.

So, anyone in the U.K., Australia or Indonesia wand want to find some body parts for me :v:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 3, 2020

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Glad your wife is okay and happy birthday :toot:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

:words:

So, anyone in the U.K., Australia or Indonesia wand want to find some boy parts for me :v:

That stinks, Kaker :( Glad everyone is OK, and happy birthday mate!

You will probably have better luck elsewhere, but if it's useful to you, there's a '98 Rocky shell for sale two hours away from me for AU$700. I'll have nothing but time in the coming weeks (I don't mind a drive in the country) but we're sorta on lockdown. Apparently recreational fishing is fine though so I could always throw a rod in the car and drive out that way :v: I was actually going to be going back to FL in July to visit my folks who aren't far from you if you were after some smaller bits, but that's probably not happening by the looks of things. Might be October or pushed back to early next year.

Nothing here is gonna be a JDM creampuff, but OTOH the Aussie dollar is in the toilet...

(only pic the guy has, if you want specifics I can inbox him)

This seller is coy on price but it does run, so could potentially send it Ro/Ro. That'd be out of Melbourne though, so there'd be the added hassle of putting it on the ferry to get it over there.

Sent you a message through your business website if you want to get in touch by email.

edit: my landlord does some business with the US and should be able to hook me up with someone who could palletise whatever and get it shipped over if you were interested.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 3, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

That stinks, Kaker :( Glad everyone is OK, and happy birthday mate!

You will probably have better luck elsewhere, but if it's useful to you, there's a '98 Rocky shell for sale two hours away from me for AU$700. I'll have nothing but time in the coming weeks (I don't mind a drive in the country) but we're sorta on lockdown. Apparently recreational fishing is fine though so I could always throw a rod in the car and drive out that way :v: I was actually going to be going back to FL in July to visit my folks who aren't far from you if you were after some smaller bits, but that's probably not happening by the looks of things. Might be October or pushed back to early next year.

Nothing here is gonna be a JDM creampuff, but OTOH the Aussie dollar is in the toilet...

(only pic the guy has, if you want specifics I can inbox him)

This seller is coy on price but it does run, so could potentially send it Ro/Ro. That'd be out of Melbourne though, so there'd be the added hassle of putting it on the ferry to get it over there.

Sent you a message through your business website if you want to get in touch by email.

edit: my landlord does some business with the US and should be able to hook me up with someone who could palletise whatever and get it shipped over if you were interested.

Thanks a ton.

That first one is a 98 so isn't really relevant to my 84, different body panels, grill and bumper.

The second one is relevant and has the correct body panels (with the exception of the soft top like mine having the little tie-down welded on the top, nothing that can't be swapped over though) but more importantly has the correct round-headlight grill. Doesn't have the OG bumpers on it though because Tasmania has to smash through the bush I guess so those giant bullbars are all over your trucks.

We aren't against buying a whole truck just to get the parts we need, but importing a whole truck is beyond what we'd want to do, wouldn't be worth it money-wise. If you were willing to buy one on our behalf though, take the parts off we'd need, then be stuck with the rest of the truck though he that would be great! :v: :v: :v:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

Thanks a ton.

That first one is a 98 so isn't really relevant to my 84, different body panels, grill and bumper.

The second one is relevant and has the correct body panels (with the exception of the soft top like mine having the little tie-down welded on the top, nothing that can't be swapped over though) but more importantly has the correct round-headlight grill. Doesn't have the OG bumpers on it though because Tasmania has to smash through the bush I guess so those giant bullbars are all over your trucks.

We aren't against buying a whole truck just to get the parts we need, but importing a whole truck is beyond what we'd want to do, wouldn't be worth it money-wise. If you were willing to buy one on our behalf though, take the parts off we'd need, then be stuck with the rest of the truck though he that would be great! :v: :v: :v:

They are more for murdering roos and wallabies - Tasmania has an outsized amount of roadkill :negative:

Yeah, I don't mind at all - happy to do it at cost if it makes sense on your end. I have at least 1-2 extra places I can park it plus a sizeable shed to store stuff in, so it's not really putting me out in terms of space. I can chuck it up on Gumtree once you're done with it or worst case have a wrecker take it away. TBH if it was still running it'd still have value as a wood/shooting/farm vehicle for someone here, even without some of the body panels.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
drat sorry Kaker but drat that is very cool of you Ethics G!!! Right on man!

My buddy here in town got some preliminary shots of his Prado to try to decide how to shoot it and list it somewhere (he is a photographer/designer/etc...) just some quick phone shots but man I love his truck

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey during the Pandemic is a great time to have customs flag 4 of my cars for "soil" this is awesome!

At least the Pajero Mini on a different BOL it is getting picked up today. I imagine it is the bucket truck or the Mazda fire truck has some dirt from shoes in the floorboard. That is what happened before with my Acty. All 4 are held while USDA looks at whatever is the issue.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

Hey during the Pandemic is a great time to have customs flag 4 of my cars for "soil" this is awesome!

At least the Pajero Mini on a different BOL it is getting picked up today. I imagine it is the bucket truck or the Mazda fire truck has some dirt from shoes in the floorboard. That is what happened before with my Acty. All 4 are held while USDA looks at whatever is the issue.

What are you supposed to do? Vacuum it up and send the dirt back? Yeesh. I get if something had a literal load of dirt or something in the bed, but I'm thinking this is not that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

What are you supposed to do? Vacuum it up and send the dirt back? Yeesh. I get if something had a literal load of dirt or something in the bed, but I'm thinking this is not that.

Vacuum it up and incinerate it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Soil just means a bit of a delay to get the vehicles released. Dunno what they actually do at port with them but it isn't anything important besides a few more days.

Nothing like SNAILS though that poo poo will rocket up to 1k bucks in sudden expenses.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Soil just means a bit of a delay to get the vehicles released. Dunno what they actually do at port with them but it isn't anything important besides a few more days.

Nothing like SNAILS though that poo poo will rocket up to 1k bucks in sudden expenses.

Just got word they have already cleared it, so in less than 6 hours it was all done. I guess the USDA dude just walked over and looked at it. Mine about to start rolling in my driver can only get 3 at a time and he is getting my buddy's Prado and my Pajero Mini first probably, the rest when he can fit them in.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
goddamn gently caress finally

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It worked!

Nice.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is a very cool license plate. Never saw one like that! Nice.

I have 4 more at port here and 4 in Japan and 6 currently here. I think I may do the Pajero Mini and maybe the Bluebird on BAT I think the mini for sure but worried about the Bluebird finding the right audience.

everdave fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 11, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

Hey lets go for a drive in December :v:

:hmmyes:

Silver wheels look good with the two-tone on yours, but I went with white on ours because it's all blue.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
god drat

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Howwww did you restore those plastic panels? Looks amazing!

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
They're replacement panels.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Yeah there is no product in the world that could do that, they are replacements.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Are they bigger or just perspective?

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

drat they haven’t changed this plate design is 30+ years. I have them on two of my vehicles

KakerMix posted:

Hey lets go for a drive in December :v:

I think it’s January we’re not allowed to drive them? both of mine are cars I’d never drive in salt so I’ve never noticed

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

snugglz posted:

drat they haven’t changed this plate design is 30+ years. I have them on two of my vehicles

I think it’s January we’re not allowed to drive them? both of mine are cars I’d never drive in salt so I’ve never noticed

Yeah January. I gotta wonder if anyone gives a crap though. I do appreciate that I don't have to put a sticker on it and I like the colors personally. The total cost for a title and plates and reg was like $440 give or take $10 if anyone is wondering. I registered it as a motorhome. And my insurance is like $150/year from liberty mutual.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 13, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just registered three vehicles with transferring plates from ones I have sold and total was $334.

Edit coming I will use the awful app to post some more pics of my Pajero Mini. It is stunningly mint condition.

everdave fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 13, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

KakerMix posted:

Yeah there is no product in the world that could do that, they are replacements.

Ah dang, I was gonna say...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

French Canadian posted:

So you had to go with the Collector Car reg because it couldn't be reg'd as a regular street car due to dumbass rules about NHTSA cert in your state, as I recall, right?
Glad you finally got around that.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Darchangel posted:

So you had to go with the Collector Car reg because it couldn't be reg'd as a regular street car due to dumbass rules about NHTSA cert in your state, as I recall, right?
Glad you finally got around that.

Correct. And yes I'm happy to put it past me. The thing that kinda sucks is that the title says something dumb like "non-standard vehicle" so I'm a little worried about eventually selling it, even out of state.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MORE PICTURES

:burger:

bolind