Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Birdy kisses are okay.

Birdy frenchies are less okay.

Birdy trying to investigate your maw for food contents or nose for boogers is perfectly normal and I have no idea why a prey animal would do this (seriously does everyone's birds do this?)

Edit: Oh lord what a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like the birds that pick out the giant horrifying jaws of yawning hippos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6wOiTJZT-Y

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Bird Crazies : Has anyone else had to lick their bird today? For safety?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay good. Stay healthy and don't lick your bird.

Is flipping them acceptable? :ohdear:

Chaosfeather posted:

Birdy trying to investigate your maw for food contents or nose for boogers is perfectly normal and I have no idea why a prey animal would do this (seriously does everyone's birds do this?)

I think it's an evolved behaviour from being the descendants of birds that large predators didn't eat while they tolerated having their teeth cleaned by said birds.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Chaosfeather posted:

Definitely reinforces me to cover my mouth when I yawn

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Not even 15 seconds after I put out the wet-pellets-rolled-in-seed-mash and she's all over it. She's been adoring this method of serving pellets. Even though she's probably just picking seeds out, she's still getting tons of nutritious pellet-goop.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Not even 15 seconds after I put out the wet-pellets-rolled-in-seed-mash and she's all over it. She's been adoring this method of serving pellets. Even though she's probably just picking seeds out, she's still getting tons of nutritious pellet-goop.

“Yes I need all this food do not take. Thank you. Go away.”

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Just taking a big old sniff of that cockatiel smell is something I really miss

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Its his second bath this year. she chose my glass and absolutely refused to use any of the larger, more appropriate vessels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFhFXiJ02Y

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
He knows it's good water cause you're using it! Anything that is being used by anyone is actually "for the bird".

Managed to capture him flying to my hand... I was holding a phone which he's wary of so he didn't go on to my finger directly.

He does it more and more regularly and from much further away.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Plant MONSTER. posted:

He knows it's good water cause you're using it! Anything that is being used by anyone is actually "for the bird".

Managed to capture him flying to my hand... I was holding a phone which he's wary of so he didn't go on to my finger directly.

He does it more and more regularly and from much further away.

WHAT A GOOD BIRB!!!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Man, half the time when I call Sera he comes, and the other half he tilts his head and stares at me like he's trying to figure out whether he wants to come over or not. Sometimes he does. I'm impressed and jealous.

So, after a couple weeks of Ozzy asking to go to bed and then screaming for an hour or two after using his "I want something" sound, and working up Sera in the process, and my increasingly frazzled attempts to figure out what's going on, I've stumbled on a solution of caging the birds and then not covering them for bed until an hour or two later. I don't know why this works, but I have two hypotheses:

1. The days are getting longer and it's loving him up and he doesn't know whether he needs to be in bed or asleep and he's freaking out, and being in the cage uncovered is enough like Time Out which explicitly happens when one or the both of them is being a wound-up little poo poo and needs to calm down, so he's calming down, and then he wants to actually sleep.

2. He's getting anxious or worked up after bed time and so is just trying to call me over repeatedly to reassure him, which I usually do. In this case, the fact that he can see me across the room is enough to reassure him so he doesn't need me to come over.

Possibly some combination of the two. Every day's an adventure with this guy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra has very specific times for very specific treats.

10:00pm when I normally eat dinner, she gets a tiny piece of flour tortilla.

When Pops gets home, she gets a tiny bit of garbage treat birdseed.

After I ride the exercise bike, she gets a nutriberry.

Today, I offered her a piece of tortilla when I got off the bike.

She just stared at me. I couldn't get her to take it.

Last night, I offered her a nutriberry instead of a tortilla.

She threw it on the floor.

Can a sassy cockatiel really be this picky!?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Serra has very specific times for very specific treats.

10:00pm when I normally eat dinner, she gets a tiny piece of flour tortilla.

When Pops gets home, she gets a tiny bit of garbage treat birdseed.

After I ride the exercise bike, she gets a nutriberry.

Today, I offered her a piece of tortilla when I got off the bike.

She just stared at me. I couldn't get her to take it.

Last night, I offered her a nutriberry instead of a tortilla.

She threw it on the floor.

Can a sassy cockatiel really be this picky!?

There are rules about treats and you can't go changing them on her!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
In the morning both my birds ask for apples, literally. Since I've been working from home, I've been making breakfast for myself, so now the birds also get angry if they don't get a piece of toast. Oh yeah and it has to have peanut butter on it or they loving throw that poo poo on the ground.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Pig is sick, or going into a moult. Or grumpy, who knows! Rare to see though, hope a naptime will see him good. Might give my ears a chance to heal, too.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

RoboRodent posted:

Man, half the time when I call Sera he comes, and the other half he tilts his head and stares at me like he's trying to figure out whether he wants to come over or not. Sometimes he does. I'm impressed and jealous.

Oh that's precisely what happens with Pesto and he only does it when he wants something from me...

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

iRend posted:

Pig is sick, or going into a moult. Or grumpy, who knows! Rare to see though, hope a naptime will see him good. Might give my ears a chance to heal, too.

Get well soon, Pig. Hope it's just a moult.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

iRend posted:

It's the time of year for a moult. All three of my doofuses are doing it right now.

Serra will beg for scritches, inevitably I'll touch a new feather, get VERY ANGRY and BEAKY and HISSY for half a second, then beg for more scritches.

I've started taking slow motion videos of her "attacks" and I need to remember to get one good enough to post.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

My parrotlet snuggled up to my ear last night and I could hear his heart beating. I tried to calculate his BPM and my estimate was within the normal range, glad you're healthy buddy!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

it is spring and it is time for YELLIN ABOUT WANT SOME FUK. I'm a transcriptionist and just started working from home. god help me

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tann posted:

My parrotlet snuggled up to my ear last night and I could hear his heart beating. I tried to calculate his BPM and my estimate was within the normal range, glad you're healthy buddy!

:kimchi:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Did the thread know that there is a band where the lead vocals are done by a gray parrot.

wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatebeak
music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXKR9EWhXo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If Serra is getting scritches and I say ANYTHING scritches must stop immediately so she can wark.

It’s hard to teach her the word “scritches” when anytime I say it she has to go, “WHAT?!”

She also makes a distinct noise when I give her a treat. It’s either cockatiel for “thank you” or “Woo!”

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does hatebeak have a video where I can see the borb

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Does hatebeak have a video where I can see the borb

I am actively looking, but I haven't found one yet.

Their track names are :discourse:

The album is called "Birdhouse by the Cemetery", ... obviously.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 19, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/SteveStuWill/status/1250944921843847169?s=19

Birbs are weird yo

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Other Conure says:

HELLO GOOD MORNING HELLO GOOD MORNING HELLO GOOD MORNING HELLO GOOD MORNING HELLO GOOD MORNING HELLO GOOD MORNING HELLO GOOD

Being as I am not in the apartment where Other Conure is UNLEASHING SCREM I find it very cute and it makes me smile, but I also feel bad for his family and hope that he is not a new addition, but rather a long-standing member of the family that they love very much despite this :lmao:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Captain Log posted:

She also makes a distinct noise when I give her a treat. It’s either cockatiel for “thank you” or “Woo!”

Alex makes a very specific un-birb-like groaning/grunting noise whenever I take the lid off of his safflower seeds.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mediaphage posted:

Alex makes a very specific un-birb-like groaning/grunting noise whenever I take the lid off of his safflower seeds.

ngghh that's the good stuff

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I finally, finally got Ozzy's fake sneezing on video.

https://youtu.be/I4yBIcVwuPQ

The apartment is a disaster right now. I'll fix it tomorrow, after I've recovered from work. Don't judge me too hard. Ozzy's so camera shy I don't know when I'll catch him again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RoboRodent posted:

The apartment is a disaster right now. I'll fix it tomorrow, after I've recovered from work. Don't judge me too hard. Ozzy's so camera shy I don't know when I'll catch him again.

That's the cutest thing omggggg

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

It's like one of those dubbed movies where the sound is hilariously offset from the video.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
https://twitter.com/iatemuggles/status/1251251431664992258

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

RoboRodent posted:

He's clearly trying to say "Pikachu"!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Plant MONSTER. posted:

My brother taught my grey to say it years ago. He still does it once in a while. Lately he's been walking around the house doing the famous riff from the law and order theme.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Well, who's been teaching my birds about Pokemon, I ask you? Because if that's true then I have a very weird burglar problem.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Jose Oquendo posted:

My brother taught my grey to say it years ago. He still does it once in a while. Lately he's been walking around the house doing the famous riff from the law and order theme.

Oh God, that's hysterical.

"Bah BUM!"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

renaming my birds to Tweedle Doom and Tweedle Death, y/n?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

This fucker.