Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
This is the part where you look at the mid to late tier medicine perks that affect your clan's life expectancies and wonder just how hats supposed to come into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They should do like The Sims games and abstract a year to be like a decade.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I know they abstract time a little bit (like a season or two counts as a year) unless they've changed that recently. I've grown to middle age in some of my games.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Thought I could outsmart the annoying bandit part of the caravan quest by just having my party filled to the brim with really strong troops. Turns out bandit parties for that quest scale with yours and being on the receiving end of a 50 man desert bandit cavalry charge is not fun

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Hey Svana, we haven’t been in the same location since we got married and I can’t help noticing you’ve given me 5 children already.

Like, it’s great that you’re so healthy but you know I’m gonna have to execute that guy when I get back right?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Valtonen posted:

drat. So 18x300 ingame days?

Nah I think it's more like 18x120 -- each season in the game is about 30 days long, IIRC

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Beefeater1980 posted:

Hey Svana, we haven’t been in the same location since we got married and I can’t help noticing you’ve given me 5 children already.

Like, it’s great that you’re so healthy but you know I’m gonna have to execute that guy when I get back right?

I await the arrival of a "realistic conception" mod with trepidation

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Feature request: party screen sorting like the inventory. Sort by rank, sort by role, sort by faction, sort by number. I just counted and I have 45 different non-companion units in my army, mostly in stacks of like 1 or 2, so working out what improvements I need to make is really difficult, and I've completely given up trying to run my garrisons sensibly. Every time I do anything I just have to eyeball what my army looks like in battle and guess whether I think any of it is short, and it really feels like I ought to have better information about that.

Also I keep finding poo poo soldiers I don't want lurking three quarters of the way down my army list for hours because I picked them up to make the numbers after a big battle and lost track.

edit: while I'm at it, make moonlight brighter so I can see what the gently caress I'm doing in night battles.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 15, 2020

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Deformed Church posted:

Feature request: party screen sorting like the inventory. Sort by rank, sort by role, sort by faction, sort by number. I just counted and I have 45 different non-companion units in my army, mostly in stacks of like 1 or 2, so working out what improvements I need to make is really difficult, and I've completely given up trying to run my garrisons sensibly. Every time I do anything I just have to eyeball what my army looks like in battle and guess whether I think any of it is short, and it really feels like I ought to have better information about that.

Also I keep finding poo poo soldiers I don't want lurking three quarters of the way down my army list for hours because I picked them up to make the numbers after a big battle and lost track.

edit: while I'm at it, make moonlight brighter so I can see what the gently caress I'm doing in night battles.

100% with you on sorting party members, once you start getting 90 or more dudes there's a lot of needless crawling through your list because everything is in a weird jumbled order and it's bothering me more and more. Prisoners too please.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tree Bucket posted:

I await the arrival of a "realistic conception" mod with trepidation

You tell your wife it's time to make a baby, then she gets you drunk, and while you wake up feeling oddly unsatisfied, 9 months later there's a baby?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mischievous Mink posted:

100% with you on sorting party members, once you start getting 90 or more dudes there's a lot of needless crawling through your list because everything is in a weird jumbled order and it's bothering me more and more. Prisoners too please.

You can manually drag and sort the order of your party list, but I have no idea whether this is remembered or if, say, you promote your last trained archer and later get another if it goes back to the same slot or to the bottom.

Either way, its a real pain to manually sort the army like that.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Sign me up as another who would seriously love troop sorting.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I just wish that when I set my companions as cavalry or horse archers, that the game would always remember that. I'm not sure what causes them to default back to infantry, but it's a little annoying.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Found a smithing glitch last night. If one of your characters has the first smithing perk for 3 wood to 2 charcoal, the others can exploit it as well. Just select that option and switch characters, then you can refine 2 charcoal for 3 hardwood.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Heads up - it looks like the hotfix from a couple days ago dramatically reduced the impact that Tactics has on battles.

Has anyone figured out any alternate ways to bump the Trade skill, or can provide a more reasonable rundown of how to manage raising it? The basic process of "buy cheap, sell expensive" works but it's super slow (because your profit per unit nosedives as you sell items), so even with boosted XP I'm getting like one point every few trips. Does getting trade goods as loot gently caress with the game's profit calculation somehow?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I don't know that loot counts at all.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Hi I just wanted to drop in and say that I managed to avoid Nexus' Vortex (and its former incarnation, Nexus Mod Manager) for years, and now that I finally decided to give it a go I can say with authority that it is a total piece of poo poo.

That is all.

E: for actual content, I did a Dark Souls

Codes (pastebinned to avoid textwall):
-Crest Shield (Elite Knight colors): https://pastebin.com/JL9LYTtj
-Grass Crest Shield (DS2 Faraam Armor colors, guy on the right): https://pastebin.com/fBcVkpqZ
-Grass Crest Shield (DS1 Elite Knight colors, guy in the middle): https://pastebin.com/gWLBHxiq
-Grass Crest Shield (DS1 Volgen Falconer colors, guy on the left): https://pastebin.com/bDszDiG7
-Dragon Crest Shield (Elite Knight colors): https://pastebin.com/UcEn7XKU

E2: vvvvvv exactly, I just wanted to have some tool that would make the constant patch/update process a bit easier, this Nexus stuff is not it.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 15, 2020

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't see the point in bothering with it anyway since all you gotta do is drop the mod in the modules folder and unblock the dll and I assume vortex doesn't do that latter step anyway.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't see the point in bothering with it anyway since all you gotta do is drop the mod in the modules folder and unblock the dll and I assume vortex doesn't do that latter step anyway.

I don't know what you mean by unblock the dll so it definitely does it.

It's not really great though, I wish there were something better. It manages to do updates ok-ish. It would be better if there were an in-client browser so you dont have to navigate the regular website and click a bunch of links for getting mods the first time.

Then if modders use alternate versions they keep changing the name of, the update feature is basically worthless.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

thats a thing for windows 7 or whatever, ive never had to gently caress with it. also Vortex is garbage because the one thing i want it to do (handle updating) it does poorly. the only reason i use it is to see when mods are updated so i can go then manually update htem myself

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

It asks for elevating rights after mod install. I had Vortex already installed for Skyrim stuff, because alternatives worked worse for me.

Siege tip probably anyone but me knew: probably by the time you set your camp the castle has 2-3 siege engines ready that are likely to clean yours quickly. What I did was schedule 4 trebuchets, and as first one got deployed I've moved it to reserves. After all 4 were ready I just activated them all and they made short work of catapults on the walls.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

building 4 trebuchets takes a hell of a long time though. honestly it seems easiest to do it the AI way; build a ram and attack as soon as it's done

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

BBJoey posted:

building 4 trebuchets takes a hell of a long time though. honestly it seems easiest to do it the AI way; build a ram and attack as soon as it's done
I think it goes faster if you have a higher engineering skill, doesn't it?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Hello I've put like 25 hours into Bannerlord and I am staggeringly bad at the strategic level. How are you supposed to level up troops? Out of like, 20 recruits only 2 or 3 survive to level up and those 2 or 3 die before a second level up. I think it's related to a similar problem I always had in Warband where if you have enough troops to have a comfortable victory margin you're always .1 or .2 speed slower than the bandits so you can never catch them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You can get spare horses to travel faster in the world map. Looters also never kill on autoresolve, so the training programme should be to 1) buy enough riding horses so that no one has to walk anywhere and 2) jump on looters.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

GruntyThrst posted:

Hello I've put like 25 hours into Bannerlord and I am staggeringly bad at the strategic level. How are you supposed to level up troops? Out of like, 20 recruits only 2 or 3 survive to level up and those 2 or 3 die before a second level up. I think it's related to a similar problem I always had in Warband where if you have enough troops to have a comfortable victory margin you're always .1 or .2 speed slower than the bandits so you can never catch them.
In the campaign options you can increase your map travel speed by lowering the speed difficulty setting to easy (+5%) or very easy (+10%). It's a massive quality of life improvement, even if it may be a bit of a cheesy way to get there. Also, as the poster above said, start collecting horses.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Unlike Warband where spare horses were largely a waste of precious inventory space, in Bannerlord you just load up with as many horses as you have troops and go fast as gently caress boi. The kind that have a bag in their description only provide cargo bonus, the kind with speed arrows can be ridden by infantry and make you as fast as an all-cav army.

Leveling up an army in this game is honestly a nightmare with full damage on. XP gains are so low relative to how many you'll lose and how many tiers there are to go through. Looters really don't provide dick for XP anymore, even with the Vlandian bonus you're talking about spending an inordinate amount of time just to get past recruit.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

K8.0 posted:

Unlike Warband where spare horses were largely a waste of precious inventory space, in Bannerlord you just load up with as many horses as you have troops and go fast as gently caress boi. The kind that have a bag in their description only provide cargo bonus, the kind with speed arrows can be ridden by infantry and make you as fast as an all-cav army.

Leveling up an army in this game is honestly a nightmare with full damage on. XP gains are so low relative to how many you'll lose and how many tiers there are to go through. Looters really don't provide dick for XP anymore, even with the Vlandian bonus you're talking about spending an inordinate amount of time just to get past recruit.

Yeah I'm doing full realistic other than hero deaths off and avatar at 2/3rds damage and it's just absolutely brutal. Maybe I just need to back off on that a little. I didn't know the tip about the different icons on the horses though, so that's good to know.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

strong bird posted:

thats a thing for windows 7 or whatever, ive never had to gently caress with it.

It's a windows 10 thing

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

But not like, all of Windows 10. I don't even have the option to unblock dlls.

Is there a specific version of windows 10 people are having issues with?

e: I have been informed that this is likely tied to UAC

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 16, 2020

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Ugh, I just spent 34,000 of my 41,000 Calradiabux to buy a noble longbow only to find that the "mounted archer" perk (can use any bow on horseback) doesn't do anything yet.

I get that a lot of perks are not implemented yet since this game is still an alpha, but a tooltip specifying which ones don't work would be great.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Smithing is amazing. I just hit 109 and am cranking out thamsskene steel hattorihanzos and tactilolblades that sell for 40-60k a piece. I love it. The fact that you can have whole party cranking at the same time makes it much less a chore. Never change it unless to buff it. I have 2 followers with the wood refiner perk, 4 on smelt duty with no perks and myself refining steel/fine steel/ hanzosteel

You learn new parts randomly on forging stuff as well, and it seems it’s tied to the difficulty of the attempt, so crafting tier 6 2-hand swords might net you 3-4 new parts per sword. What’s best, the new parts can be ANYTHING. I unlocked a sledge shaft by crafting throwing knives.

Bit weird and hack solution of a skill? Maybe. Don’t care, I love it.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Valtonen posted:

Smithing is amazing. I just hit 109 and am cranking out thamsskene steel hattorihanzos and tactilolblades that sell for 40-60k a piece. I love it. The fact that you can have whole party cranking at the same time makes it much less a chore. Never change it unless to buff it. I have 2 followers with the wood refiner perk, 4 on smelt duty with no perks and myself refining steel/fine steel/ hanzosteel

You learn new parts randomly on forging stuff as well, and it seems it’s tied to the difficulty of the attempt, so crafting tier 6 2-hand swords might net you 3-4 new parts per sword. What’s best, the new parts can be ANYTHING. I unlocked a sledge shaft by crafting throwing knives.

Bit weird and hack solution of a skill? Maybe. Don’t care, I love it.

I hate smithing since you only get smithing energy back when you rest in a city. If it was just the passage of time it'd be bearable. Otherwise I'd be all over smithing, it looks awesome.

Is there a mod yet to skip the first main quest that requires you to talk to 10 nobles all across Calradia?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Airspace posted:

I hate smithing since you only get smithing energy back when you rest in a city. If it was just the passage of time it'd be bearable. Otherwise I'd be all over smithing, it looks awesome.

Is there a mod yet to skip the first main quest that requires you to talk to 10 nobles all across Calradia?

Yes, it's called "cultured start" and skipping that quest is one of the options.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The 1.2 patch notes sound like they may have fixed siege tower pathing issues and the issues with the AI doing some weird dance between breaking down the inner gate, wanting to climb the ladders.

Edit: Tested, and it seems like they still only use the middle ladder. :(

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 17, 2020

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think energy gets recovered as you travel, but with slower pace.

As far as unimplemented perks go it's the same with reloading crossbow on horseback. Makes them way less useful for me, because higher rate of fire and more ammo are more important in pretty much any other situation. Maybe if sieges were slower and more deliberate crossbows would be more useful. Right now I can down 20 dudes headshotting them as they climb ladders or bunch up around rams.

Also had my first siege defense, I'd lose but I'm a big baby that installed hp regen on kill mod. I've finished last 45 dudes myself with a 2h glaive.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve been rereading 1491 and it got me wondering are there any good pre Columbian mods for Warband

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

They've kind of screwed the economy in this patch. My caravans aren't producing as much gold now that they're barely protected punching bags for bandits that I'm not even trying to use, but that's okay because after two or three battles the towns run out of money before I run out of loot to sell them.

Also units train so much faster it's great.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The town running out of money part is supposedly fixed in the newest version of e1.2.x. They mentioned in the hotfix patch notes today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oh I saw that, I'm on the main patch and I just mean I have to leave for a bit for them to replenish. It's only in as much as the amount they usually have isn't enough to pay me for all the t5 hats I took from the Southern Empire. Although, they finally agreed to peace so now I'm just stealing bandit hats.