Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't Yoko decide to fast-forward to the closing sequence of the Wrestlemania IX match because he was gassed and like four minutes were shaved off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn't Yoko decide to fast-forward to the closing sequence of the Wrestlemania IX match because he was gassed and like four minutes were shaved off?

Apparently yes, haha. It would explain why it takes Fuji, like, thirty seconds to get the salt out because even he was taken aback by it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bret had great wrestling matches, Shawn had great sports entertainment matches if that makes sense.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I get differentiating them but hate the idea of "sports entertainment" being something that is good or bad on its own since it's just a shitass McMahon term. Great matches are great wrestling matches. Shawn was a great wrestler and after people get over his horrible tender moments he keeps agenting, things will go back to that

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

You can still be great & over-rated though. IE the Shawn Razor ladder match at Wrestlemania X is both extremely good & also over-rated because some people have claimed it was the best match on a show with Bret vs Owen which no. Sorry Dave Meltzer, you were wrong.

Shawn was extremely good & had some great matches but he also did a lot of loving terrible stuff. Like the Undertaker & Flair WM matches in the late '00s. And that DX vs Spirit Squad poo poo was baaaaaaaaad. I LOVE COCK HAHAHA

I don't think Meltzer was wrong at the time--the WMX ladder match was really groundbreaking and we hadn't really seen anything like it at the time (I know Bret brought the idea from Stampede, but those matches looked totally different from what I've seen). It looks tame now that there are thousands of ladder matches with more spectacle, but I can't fault anyone for rating it at the top in 1994. Whereas Bret/Owen is just high quality work from start to finish that is pretty timeless.

But even now, I think you need to give the ladder match extra credit for how influential it was.

bartok
May 10, 2006

The only thing that I hate about the Wrestlemania X ladder match is how everyone downplays Scott Hall's role in the match, but that might be the Razor Ramon fan in me talking. I also think Bret/Owen was the better match.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think it's still Rey
It is Rey but Juvi is only like 3 weeks older than him.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Watching some of these WWF Superstars episodes from 1992 and it got me wondering - was there any particular reason Jim Powers was relegated to enhancement talent in the early '90s? He's Vince's prototypical muscular dreamboat and looks really out of place among all the schlubby jobbers. It's especially odd since they were repackaging Hogan-era midcard guys left and right at the time.

bartok posted:

The only thing that I hate about the Wrestlemania X ladder match is how everyone downplays Scott Hall's role in the match, but that might be the Razor Ramon fan in me talking. I also think Bret/Owen was the better match.
Anecdotally, I was the biggest Bret mark but found myself liking the ladder match more at the time. But as the years went on, Bret/Owen overtook it in my mind. Interesting that it seems that way for a lot of people. :)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Minidust posted:

Watching some of these WWF Superstars episodes from 1992 and it got me wondering - was there any particular reason Jim Powers was relegated to enhancement talent in the early '90s? He's Vince's prototypical muscular dreamboat and looks really out of place among all the schlubby jobbers. It's especially odd since they were repackaging Hogan-era midcard guys left and right at the time.

He was short

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Shawn Micheals, (known arsehole), oversold clownishly for known arsehole Hulk Hogan, and did so just to mock and humiliate the large bald orange man.

Thus he is at least a little bit cool and good.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

OFFICER LIGER posted:

I will say regarding shawn vs bret, bret hart's matches have aged way better than shawns

this. bret's matches will still be incredible twenty, thirty years from now. bret understood his craft at a level where unless the entire structure and concept of professional wrestling completely changes, those matches will always be timeless

shawn was entertaining but a lot of matches just seemed hollow and shallow to me. he got a lot better though as he got older and had to work smarter

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shawn's best matches are better than Bret's best matches.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Shawn's best matches are better than Bret's best matches.
I think Mania 13 is a better match than any of Shawn’s

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Bret's greatest singles matches: Mr Perfect, Owen x2, Piper, Austin x2 HBK x 3 (Iron Man match is debatable), Bulldog x 2, Undertaker, Diesel, Benoit

Shawn's greatest singles matches: HHH (three good ones, the rest are over indulgent crap), Angle x 2, Undertaker x 5, Jarrett, Bret x 3, Bulldog, Flair, Cena, Austin x 2, Mankind

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

I think Mania 13 is a better match than any of Shawn’s
og Hell in a Cell is slightly better

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

wrong

e: although probably a bigger differentiator is that Bret had a much better opponent for his best match than Shawn did for his

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Bret's greatest singles matches: Mr Perfect, Owen x2, Piper, Austin x2 HBK x 3 (Iron Man match is debatable), Bulldog x 2, Undertaker, Diesel, Benoit

Shawn's greatest singles matches: HHH (three good ones, the rest are over indulgent crap), Angle x 2, Undertaker x 5, Jarrett, Bret x 3, Bulldog, Flair, Cena, Austin x 2, Mankind

Iron Man is one of the worst, most boring WM main events.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fight me irl :bahgawd:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Randaconda posted:

Iron Man is one of the worst, most boring WM main events.

It's not great but it's not actually that bad. Maybe in the bottom 3rd but only just. There's been some right crap WM Main events

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s stupid overrated by WWE but it’s better than the mania main events that both preceded and followed it

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

forkboy84 posted:

It's not great but it's not actually that bad. Maybe in the bottom 3rd but only just. There's been some right crap WM Main events

Yeah, but they didn't last an hour.

Although Miz/Cena or Brock/Roman going an hour sounds horribly fascinating

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seams posted:

pretty amazing that HHH didn't politic himself into retiring flair

Oh this reminds me though, gently caress I loved that cage match between Flair and HHH at Taboo Tuesday, and it had the right finish too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

Oh this reminds me though, gently caress I loved that cage match between Flair and HHH at Taboo Tuesday, and it had the right finish too.

That match loving owned. Love the close up to Hunter when he realized the Nature Boy wasn't as old and washed as he thought he was.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Yes this is really great. Triple H had some actual good matches in 2005.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Come to think of it, why was HBK the guy who Flair had his last match with anyway?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
HHH was in the three way match with Cena and Orton. Probably to add some "star power". I'd imagine HHH was wary of the reaction he'd receive if he retired Flair. HBK was/is more beloved.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Probably because it ensured it would be a good match.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Probably because it ensured it would be a good match.

Oh for sure it's just that when I think of guys who Flair had a history with, HBK doesn't exactly spring to mind. Looking at the rest of the WM 24 card though it's hard to see who else could've replaced Shawn other than HHH who as Breitbart is Rightbart said already had a match.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I still cannot believe that Edge/Orton is the second-longest Wrestlemania match after the XII Iron Man, and the runtime is after they had a week to edit it down.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jerusalem posted:

I recently rewatched Taboo Tuesday 2005 and yeah, that match ruled. Too bad about most of the rest of the card that night, that was some dire poo poo.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hate the Iron Man match but it's a better Mania main event than Miz/Cena, Roman/HHH, Roman/Taker, HHH/Orton, and Sid/Taker.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked Sid/Taker. It being the one true hoss off in 'Mania history probably helps, though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I almost forgot about Hogan/Sid, that match was poo poo. Swap it out with Sid/Taker if you want.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Benne posted:

I hate the Iron Man match but it's a better Mania main event than Miz/Cena, Roman/HHH, Roman/Taker, HHH/Orton, and Sid/Taker.

Also Hogan/Yokozuna, Hogan/Sid, Hogan/Bundy and Hogan/Slaughter.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 16, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hogan/Slaughter was a perfectly fine match

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I rewatched Hogan/Slaughter recently and while I don't think it's a bad match per se, the entire angle leaves such a bad taste in my mouth that it seems much worse than it is. I mean, the climax is Hogan ripping up an Iraqi flag as people cheer.

The Sid match from the following year is just bad though, and that's before you even get to the completely botched finish.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The Hogan-Slaughter DESERT STORM MATCH from MSG is legitimately great, though. As Loss from ProWrestlingOnly described it: "Hogan looks like the coolest guy in the world wearing the camo and throwing fireballs at those who dare disgrace America."

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What Foley putting over a young guy match do people prefer? Orton in 04 or Edge in 06? I've just watched the Orton match for the first time since it happened and it's probably the most lauded of the two. But the Edge one is really good.

Talk to me about Mick Foley putting over young future stars in hardcore matches.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HHH in a street fight at RR 2000 and hell in a cell the next month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That hell in a cell should have been the WM2000 main event