Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I did and it took me to this fly palace but it just leads back to the main sister's residence. I did find a hidden path to to the arena where I fight the invader.

This gave me a lot of trouble too at the time: there's a switch in the fly palace that unlocks a door above you

Doesn't help that I think the place underneath Friede's home is the single grossest place in any video game I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why do I keep reading/hearing about how Old Demon King is one of the hardest bosses in the game? He's been consistently one of the easiest in my experience.

Arrhythmia posted:

This gave me a lot of trouble too at the time: there's a switch in the fly palace that unlocks a door above you

Doesn't help that I think the place underneath Friede's home is the single grossest place in any video game I've ever played.

Thanks.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do I keep reading/hearing about how Old Demon King is one of the hardest bosses in the game? He's been consistently one of the easiest in my experience.

For me it was that it's a player-vs-camera fight. That's a problem for me with all the huge bosses (Midir, Demon Princes, King of the Storm). I get motion sickness from the spinning camera :barf:

Also, I went in a bit underleveled for a new player, since I hadn't found the Cathedral and died a lot.

Later I learned that it's a good fight for summoning the NPC phantom since it gets you some nice stuff for Fashion Souls.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks.

People click with different bosses for some reason. I never had trouble with Dancer or the Abyss Watchers but found some of the other bosses pretty rough.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
ODK is just very binary. When I got there first it was pretty late, and I just bumrushed him and kept staggering him into oblivion, he could barely do anything (and I had enough health to tank the twoish attacks he DID get off), and I just L1-combo'd him forever with the Drang Hammers.

Later, when getting there earlier and also trying to keep the NPC alive, it was far harder, surprisingly so. He does have a wide variety of low- and high-range attacks, can do a lot of damage, and surprise you with some really quick moves. You just don't ever get to see any of that if your tactic of choice is Leeroy Jenkins.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
A lot of these bosses can be fought out of order so I think someone doing peewee junior damage with a +2 weapon to someone who happens upon them with a +8 and OP rings makes a fairly big difference.

I first fought the old demon king after giving up on soul of cinder and reading up on what I missed to level up and I think I beat him on the second go

:edit: I’m on NG+3 and still haven’t beat any of the ringed city bosses other than Gael without summoning, or sister Frieda. I wonder if I’d bought the dlc on my first play through would it have been a bit more of a reasonable fight. Same with Laurence in BB - NG+2 the first time and he even before +7 and my character at pretty high level he just does SO MUCH DAMAGE

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 16, 2020

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Summoning Gael for Friede doesn't count :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

E: nvm good to see you got it

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

axolotl farmer posted:

Summoning Gael for Friede doesn't count :colbert:

Pls don’t :negative:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqK5-hv7ITc

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I reinstalled Dark Souls Prepare to Die to give it another play, and found that it doesn't really want to support controller use. Googling tells me that it can be forced to - do I actually want to do this? My memory of it is poor and I'd assumed a game like this was better with a controller, but if it's only reluctantly doing it then should I actually be using M+KB?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
What's your controller? It worked flawlessly with the X360 controller when I played it. Anyway the answer is: good god no, the KB+M control scheme is horrible and while there are mods to make it passable it still doesn't hold a candle to the controller.

Plus learning the controller scheme for Dark Souls will give you instant advantage on every soulslike game you'd be willing to play in the future!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

The saw spear (and the saw cleaver too) make so many Bloodborne fights a breeze, and I think it reveals a bias Bloodborne and DS3 in general have to the faster/whippier weapons, particularly in late game zones and bosses, while a lot of the regular playerbase love the flash of the bigger greatsword and ultra greatsword weapons that do not deal well with aggressive bosses that have very small openings.

That honestly hasn't been my experience at all. I almost always go for quality builds in Souls games and focus on non-huge swords or polearms, but in my recent playthrough of DS3 I decided to use Vordt's goofy enormous hammer and it was by far the easiest playthrough of any Souls game I've ever done. With the "no fun allowed" weapon balancing in that game it probably would have been even easier with whatever the generic greathammer is. Similarly my second easiest Bloodborne playthrough was probably where I used the axe and just did the transformed spin2win on everything. (easiest was my chikage run because that thing is just silly)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I reinstalled Dark Souls Prepare to Die to give it another play, and found that it doesn't really want to support controller use. Googling tells me that it can be forced to - do I actually want to do this? My memory of it is poor and I'd assumed a game like this was better with a controller, but if it's only reluctantly doing it then should I actually be using M+KB?

Figure out how to use a controller.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Moon Monster posted:

That honestly hasn't been my experience at all. I almost always go for quality builds in Souls games and focus on non-huge swords or polearms, but in my recent playthrough of DS3 I decided to use Vordt's goofy enormous hammer and it was by far the easiest playthrough of any Souls game I've ever done. With the "no fun allowed" weapon balancing in that game it probably would have been even easier with whatever the generic greathammer is.

Probably not actually, Vordt’s hammer went from ok to really good when frostbite was buffed after Ringed City.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It was already good, it just got better. It's probably the easiest weapon to play through the game with. Big weapons are bad for 1v1 pvp but staggering enemies more easily is really good. An easy example is the big machete dudes in the undead settlement, who are fairly difficult normally but can be stunlocked with stuff like greathammers.

though they still also have a place in pvp in big messy group battles, which is essentially the intended pvp experience what with dried fingers, invasions targeting players with summons, separate invader slots for covenant invasions, multiple version of the way of blue...

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 17, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm having trouble with Blackflame Friede. Despite me having a fair share of endurance (40 points) it's still difficult to not tire out/keep up with her. Any tips in defeating her?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm having trouble with Blackflame Friede. Despite me having a fair share of endurance (40 points) it's still difficult to not tire out/keep up with her. Any tips in defeating her?

With a standard melee build I like to stay away and wait for backstab opportunities. Her grab attack is very easy to punish because she turns her back to you if it misses, and if you can track her down during invisibility that's another free hit. The overhead leaping attacks are also punishable but the timing/spacing are more precise on those, so personally I don't go for them. Otherwise her ground combos can all be backrolled safely if you stay at a decent distance, except for the one where she drags the frost scythe forward in a trail, which needs to be siderolled.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Friede is sensitive to bleed and lightning. If you are summoning Gael, keep him alive and let him be bait and you can get backstabs and bleedouts.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Friede also has very little poise/hyperarmour for a boss so you can knock her out of alot of attack animations just by hitting her back. I found constant aggression and interrupting her attacks was a much easier way of dealing with her than consistently dodging her massive combos.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Beat Soul of Cinder last night, then put up a summon to help other dudes best him too. Think I completed it 4 or 5 times total, so that's pretty cool. Also started a new pyromancer so that I can have some SL20 fun with the new influx of players.

Man this game is good.

Question though, I have access to both DLCs but I kind of want to jump into a NG+. Am I missing anything by skipping them right now? I know one is supposed to be pretty good, and the other one is just ok?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bengy81 posted:

Beat Soul of Cinder last night, then put up a summon to help other dudes best him too. Think I completed it 4 or 5 times total, so that's pretty cool. Also started a new pyromancer so that I can have some SL20 fun with the new influx of players.

Man this game is good.

Question though, I have access to both DLCs but I kind of want to jump into a NG+. Am I missing anything by skipping them right now? I know one is supposed to be pretty good, and the other one is just ok?

The DLC boss fights are really good and Ringed City is a really good capstone to the series, but they'll be pretty spicy content if you put them off until NG+

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 18, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The DLCs are both good, but they’re rough to learn in NG+. I’d do them now.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Ringed City especially I'd imagine to be really rough in NG+ blind. Plus there are some really good items in that DLC that you would be glad to have into NG+.

So uhh now that the game is really cheap this weekend and there are more concurrent players than even 2 months after release, is it a good time to low/mid-level invade?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Logan 5 posted:

So uhh now that the game is really cheap this weekend and there are more concurrent players than even 2 months after release, is it a good time to low/mid-level invade?

I barely do any invasions in the series but I have notice a fair amount of people in my friends list who have picked up the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I’m trying out Lifehunt Scythe for the first time and it’s...surprisingly good? The health regain is only okay unless you hit a lot of enemies at once, but it also outdamages Lightning Spear/Stake and has a ton of stagger on top of that. It completely shuts down the crow knights in the painted world for example, you can just cast it, riposte them, cast it again as soon as they get up, and riposte them again.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well I finally did it. I beat Sister Freid. Very great boss battle. Her first two forms are pretty easy, but the third one is brutal. There are openings but you have to work for them. I'm surprise that Ashes of Ariandel gets a bad rap for being "poor DLC". From what I've read the consensus on it is that the level design is negative but the bosses are good. Personally I enjoyed the level design and found it to be a unique world that was pretty fun to explore. One of the better DLCs for sure.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

punk rebel ecks posted:

I barely do any invasions in the series but I have notice a fair amount of people in my friends list who have picked up the game.

I enjoyed 1&2 as their own games and was good enough to (mostly) beat them, but never thought I could wrap my head around the pvp gameplay to even be just okay at invading. I ended up loving 3 way more than I thought I would, and so ended up a decent invader.

Beaten the game a few times now, so invading has gotten me some great fun extra hours outta DS3.

I do wish that more people would have fun with invading/invaders instead of thinking they're in some epic salty-meme youtube montage though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well I finally did it. I beat Sister Freid. Very great boss battle. Her first two forms are pretty easy, but the third one is brutal. There are openings but you have to work for them. I'm surprise that Ashes of Ariandel gets a bad rap for being "poor DLC". From what I've read the consensus on it is that the level design is negative but the bosses are good. Personally I enjoyed the level design and found it to be a unique world that was pretty fun to explore. One of the better DLCs for sure.

Some parts of Painted World aren’t very good. I don’t like the snowfield at the beginning with all the wolves and trees at all. It feels like it’s just a gauntlet you’re supposed to rush through. It gives a bad first impression of the zone. I’m also not crazy about the side zones with the giant knights, or dropping down branches over death pits, or the ice lake with crabs. The part between Vilhelm and the fly pit is really good though, one of my favorite parts of the game. I think it’s kind of overshadowed by Ringed City which is bigger and better in most ways, but it’s still good.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

skasion posted:

Some parts of Painted World aren’t very good. I don’t like the snowfield at the beginning with all the wolves and trees at all. It feels like it’s just a gauntlet you’re supposed to rush through. It gives a bad first impression of the zone. I’m also not crazy about the side zones with the giant knights, or dropping down branches over death pits, or the ice lake with crabs. The part between Vilhelm and the fly pit is really good though, one of my favorite parts of the game. I think it’s kind of overshadowed by Ringed City which is bigger and better in most ways, but it’s still good.

Yeah the beginning is rough. Though I did kind of like the mad dash. The giants were annoying though since it is so difficult to beat them, especially with wolves chasing you. I also enjoyed how the world felt so real. You truly saw all the citizens suffering, yet the sisters were oblivious to this. Especially the painter who conveniently is shut out from the outside world. At least the other sister has to know something is up being that she is locked up in a room guarded by a knight.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

skasion posted:

Every iteration of crabs in DS3 are great: swamp crabs, smoldering crabs, ice crabs, and the ever-important skeleton ball crabs. Frankly, this game needs more crabs.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I really wanna replay DS3, but I've already played a guy with most of the common builds (quality dark sword, large club, katana, ridiculous sellsword/gottard twinblade spam), is there anything super-fun that feels noticeably different to play than those guys? One thing I'm flirting with is pyro + witch's locks, but I'm really reluctant to try a caster build because of how hard they nerfed damage relative to in-your-face quality melee.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pyro is the least worst option for casters in DS3. witch’s locks take absolutely forever to get, but there’s a number of other fun (mostly also late game) weapons.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Finally completed all achievements in DS3. With this, I have 100% achievements in every soulsborne and Sekiro. (well, except for demon's cause I don't have a PS3)
DS3 is great, but is easily the worst game to get 100% in. All those covenant rewards are just so painful to grind for. If they just added an alternate way to get those items DS3 would have been one of my favourites to 100%.

Also, holy poo poo I love Friede's Great Scythe. The weapon art is great, and I used it to shred so many invaders. It also stunlocks a fair number of annoying enemies.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

BadMedic posted:

DS3 is great, but is easily the worst game to get 100% in. All those covenant rewards are just so painful to grind for.

Seeing as you mentioned you don't have Demons Souls, I can forgive this comment.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BadMedic posted:

Finally completed all achievements in DS3. With this, I have 100% achievements in every soulsborne and Sekiro. (well, except for demon's cause I don't have a PS3)
DS3 is great, but is easily the worst game to get 100% in. All those covenant rewards are just so painful to grind for. If they just added an alternate way to get those items DS3 would have been one of my favourites to 100%.

Also, holy poo poo I love Friede's Great Scythe. The weapon art is great, and I used it to shred so many invaders. It also stunlocks a fair number of annoying enemies.

Demon's is pretty easy to emulate now. Highly recommend.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Oldstench posted:

Seeing as you mentioned you don't have Demons Souls, I can forgive this comment.

Now I'm curious, how bad is 100% in Demon's Souls?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

BadMedic posted:

Now I'm curious, how bad is 100% in Demon's Souls?

Plat needs a Pure Bladestone which requires you to farm a drop from two dual katana skeletons which, depending on your world tendency, can have a drop rate as low as 0.028 PER CENT. If you got pure black WT it’s not that bad but...yeah.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
People used to be able to trade for (most likely duped) Pure Bladestone which made it not so bad, but now that the servers are gone...yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I feel like the servers being down probably makes doing the World Tendency events a lot harder, too.