Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wasn't getting a check with Trump's name on it a guarantee to have it bounce?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

how are they doing basic trainings and boot camps and whatever the coast guard does?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Wasn't getting a check with Trump's name on it a guarantee to have it bounce?

His MO is more refusing to pay, then dragging it out in court until his contractors settle for something because they need cash or they go out of business.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Woofer posted:

how are they doing basic trainings and boot camps and whatever the coast guard does?

Carefully

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

What on earth does protesting the lockdown have to do with tactilol vests and assault rifles other than implied threat of violence if they don't get their way?

Obama's biggest mistake was letting these people win in Oregon.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Stultus Maximus posted:

What on earth does protesting the lockdown have to do with tactilol vests and assault rifles other than implied threat of violence if they don't get their way?

Obama's biggest mistake was letting these people win in Oregon.

Because it's about THEIR RIGHTS

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ElMaligno posted:

"Carefully"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

BigDave posted:

nah

you guys know anyone with a fetish, like a real, no poo poo, all-consuming fetish? And how EVERYTHING becomes related to that fetish?

That's guns to these people.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

BigDave posted:

They're nerds, but instead of wearing Spock ears or a Harry Potter cape. they are gun nerds. Insufferable, no social skills, everything is about their stupid hobby, and they act as self-appointed gatekeepers that drive off any normal people who might be interested.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MA-Horus posted:

nah

you guys know anyone with a fetish, like a real, no poo poo, all-consuming fetish? And how EVERYTHING becomes related to that fetish?

The guy who wears a buttplug into work is a hole lot less annoying than these fucks. Less dangerous too

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

The guy who wears a buttplug into work is a hole lot less annoying than these fucks. Less dangerous too

I've had two guns drawn on me, I've never been threatened with a whipping.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

I see what you did there.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

PeterCat posted:

They're nerds, but instead of wearing Spock ears or a Harry Potter cape. they are gun nerds. Insufferable, no social skills, everything is about their stupid hobby, and they act as self-appointed gatekeepers that drive off any normal people who might be interested.

How DARE they disparage the good name of gun nerds!

True gun nerds meet at the range once a month and brag about how the serial number on their Mosin is lower then anyone else's, then start a debate about how the FG42 was the true first assault rifle!

It wasn't.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

BigDave posted:

How DARE they disparage the good name of gun nerds!

True gun nerds meet at the range once a month and brag about how the serial number on their Mosin is lower then anyone else's, then start a debate about how the FG42 was the true first assault rifle!

It wasn't.

It was the Henry model 1860.

Prove me wrong.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1250771236331741184?s=20

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I’ve been banking with USAA for over a decade and they’ve always been good to me. They refunded like $50 mil in auto policies or something due to corona.

This twitter post is the only source I’m seeing.

I hope it isn’t true.

Not USAA :(

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PeterCat posted:

They love any excuse to wear gas masks in public too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Most of the "banks took my money" stories are related to overdrafts than anything else. If you have a loan/cc with the bank you use and are behind on those payments, then you can expect it to disappear then, too.

They're not just letting creditors take your money, unless the bank is the creditor you owe.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Love that a handful of them are wearing masks.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

This is disgusting

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Most of the "banks took my money" stories are related to overdrafts than anything else. If you have a loan/cc with the bank you use and are behind on those payments, then you can expect it to disappear then, too.

They're not just letting creditors take your money, unless the bank is the creditor you owe.

Though speaking as someone who worked for a large national bank, gently caress overdraft fees. They are predatory as poo poo and they know it.

There is no reason to charge someone $35x5 because your mortgage check overdrew your account by a buck and then you used your debit card for four smaller transactions before you realized what was happening.

And gently caress the excuse that they made us give of "Well if we didn't let you overdraft, what would happen if your rent check bounced!?!"

Also if you weren't aware, you can opt out of allowing your account to overdraft. Or you can link your savings (if you're fortunate enough to have one) to cover any overdrafts.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Handsome Ralph posted:

Though speaking as someone who worked for a large national bank, gently caress overdraft fees. They are predatory as poo poo and they know it.

There is no reason to charge someone $35x5 because your mortgage check overdrew your account by a buck and then you used your debit card for four smaller transactions before you realized what was happening.

And gently caress the excuse that they made us give of "Well if we didn't let you overdraft, what would happen if your rent check bounced!?!"

Also if you weren't aware, you can opt out of allowing your account to overdraft. Or you can link your savings (if you're fortunate enough to have one) to cover any overdrafts.

Point/counterpoint in one exchange. Appreciate the info.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

MA-Horus posted:

nah

They're as bad as the really militant anti-gun people with the fetishization, they just don't want to admit they have that in common. They all crave the power of the gun and fear that power used against them. They even have the common belief that there are some people who should hold that power while most people should not. The only difference between these tactical larp enthusiasts and the gun banners is who the privileged group should be.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
reading the article, the family had an account negative $8000 due to massive overdrafts. The family claimed "some" of that was due to fraud, but could not prove the fraud. I've had a USAA debit card stolen and a friend has had her USAA checkbook stolen. The requirements to prove fraud are nearly nothing.

I don't mean to be that guy, but that family in particular drained their account as much as they could then opened a new bank account with another bank. I've seen that type of thing happen in the past, and I'm not surprised that the bank used the money towards that debt. It's very common in the personal banking world.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Handsome Ralph posted:

Completely agree.

I'm not saying it's right that USAA took their stimulus money, but those folks dug their own grave if they were $8k in the hole to overdrafts.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NFCU offers a standby checking line of credit to cover overdrafts. It's saved my rear end once or thrice.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Ok yeah, 8K is a loving lot in overdrafts. I have no idea what that families particular backstory is but if USAA is using that money to cover just the actual overdrafts (things they paid for while the family had no money in their account) then that is fair game.

IIRC, most of the time once you hit a certain limit, for obvious reasons, the banks stop letting you overdraft (because a checking account is not a line of credit and it's a liability issue for them). So it's entirely possible out of the 8K, USAA is owed like 150-200 dollars in fees and the rest is entirely what they wrote checks for/used a debit card for.

Mr. Nice! posted:

reading the article, the family had an account negative $8000 due to massive overdrafts. The family claimed "some" of that was due to fraud, but could not prove the fraud. I've had a USAA debit card stolen and a friend has had her USAA checkbook stolen. The requirements to prove fraud are nearly nothing.

I don't mean to be that guy, but that family in particular drained their account as much as they could then opened a new bank account with another bank. I've seen that type of thing happen in the past, and I'm not surprised that the bank used the money towards that debt. It's very common in the personal banking world.

This too. Fraud is as easy as "My account has fradulent activity", we freeze your account immediately, get you to file a police report and depending on what it was, you can sometimes get your money back (if you wired it overseas, you are SOL). It's not a slow process by any means.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 16, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ING Direct was the only bank I ever knew to have a reasonable overdraft policy, you could go to -$135 before getting cut off and it was treated as a 6% APR line of credit

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I will agree that it is absolutely lovely there was nothing in the bill that exempted banks from collecting on these types of debt. I know people need money.

I can also understand USAA receiving a deposit for an account that has been closed and charged off and garnishing it. Especially when said check is less than half of what was actually charged off.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Both times I've had a compromised card the company discovered it before I did. They didn't even do the "Is this you?" temporary freeze, they knew it was BS immediately and shut off the card.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Back when I was super broke, I twice ran into a thing where my credit union just refused to let me overdraft.

Sucked in the moment, but like.

Man, after dealing with overdrafts in the past was I grateful for that little 'yeah maybe don't.'

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

shame on an IGA posted:

ING Direct was the only bank I ever knew to have a reasonable overdraft policy, you could go to -$135 before getting cut off and it was treated as a 6% APR line of credit

When I was broke and hooked on drugs I was able to pull $200 from my already over drafted BofA account.

Only 17.5% interest!

I think this has changed though. This was in 2007/8 timeframe. But it was enough that I’ll never bank with BofA again (on top of the other reasons why they suck).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My credit union cuts off overdrafting at $2k. My balance receipts at ATMs show my actual balance, and the available balance with overdrafts, always $2k more than I have.

At one point years ago I was about $1800 overdrawn and my credit union then set me up with an unsecured loan just so I could still have something to live off of from my VA disability and paid the debt off at like $50-100/month, with interest, of course. But it got me out of the hole when I desperately needed digging out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lesson learned: if you’re going to dump a bank account with a -$8,000 balance, make sure you update your direct deposits

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 16, 2020

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've had two USAA cards autocanceled due to fraud risk before I ever notice anything happen. On my second date with my gf of 2.5 years I made sure my card was paid off that morning and at dinner it was declined cauz fraudsters in Miami maxed it out at CVS of all places. USAA didn't even want s police report I just said the charges were fraudulent and they sent me a new card.

Also BoA is terrible and was hilariously incompetent to litigate against when I did forclosure defense. Definitely do not trust them with your money.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I learned to stop trusting BofA when they held a cash deposit overnight and let a bunch of overdrafts (and fees!) slip through before applying it to my balance.

gently caress BofA.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

gently caress BofA.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Does anyone have a recipe for making Kurdish flatbread?

When we were in Erbil they had these bread shops that seemed to consist of a wood fired oven and stacks of flour. You could get a big bag of bread for a dollar or two.

I think it was just water and flour, didn't seem like it was leavened. I've been wanting to make some for a while.

Also, gently caress BofA.

They would put all the charges first, charge me overdraft fees, then deposit my paycheck.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

gently caress BofA.

My favorite BoFA experience was when they requested permission to appear in court telephonically, the loan manager decided to take vacation instead without getting someone to cover, and BoFAs own attorney ended up on hold bounced around in their phone queue for an hour while until the court got irate enough to hold the bank in contempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Soylent Pudding posted:

My favorite BoFA experience was when they requested permission to appear in court telephonically, the loan manager decided to take vacation instead without getting someone to cover, and BoFAs own attorney ended up on hold bounced around in their phone queue for an hour while until the court got irate enough to hold the bank in contempt.

PLUG IT INTO MY VEINS!