Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The CPS Changer version of Street Fighter Alpha is being released this Friday to patreon subscribers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Street Fighter II, Champion Edition, Hyper Fighting, and all of the permutations therein, have been released this morning by Jotego. Also, Street Fighter Alpha/Zero has dropped as well (CPS changer version).

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Street Fighter II, Champion Edition, Hyper Fighting, and all of the permutations therein, have been released this morning by Jotego. Also, Street Fighter Alpha/Zero has dropped as well (CPS changer version).

It's cool and works pretty well.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Has they're been any production of these yet?

https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-ultra-low-latency-controller-add-on-board.html

Was thinking about finally giving in and building one of these with my trumpbucks/sad pandemic birthday cash (barring my student loans not eating them). I would prefer making my own rj45 adapters with couplers/cut up cable extenders for this and actual hardware.

I would certainly prefer this method than spending 100$ on an adapter set and a 75$ blister board.

Any good prices on parts and boards running right now?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
What's your use case looking like? What kind of controllers do you want to plug in, etc.

There have been a few different types of adapter type stuffs made, but just the USB 3.0 shaped Serial port works well for several cores for native SNAC support, but there are a few different options.

These little adapters are pretty cheap and can DIY them or buy them built for a bit more.

https://twitter.com/antoniovil/status/1202216066090450949

https://twitter.com/Mathieulh/status/1219328556376956934

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Illuminado posted:

What's your use case looking like? What kind of controllers do you want to plug in, etc.

There have been a few different types of adapter type stuffs made, but just the USB 3.0 shaped Serial port works well for several cores for native SNAC support, but there are a few different options.

These little adapters are pretty cheap and can DIY them or buy them built for a bit more.

https://twitter.com/antoniovil/status/1202216066090450949

https://twitter.com/Mathieulh/status/1219328556376956934

Ideally I'd like to run 2-3 set-ups overall, one for console/handhelds using original controllers. One for j-pcs/x86 stuff and one for arcade. Though to start I'd probably build out one that's "fully built" which would become the console one presumably.

Granted I don't what potential future updates there are to the hardware with additional PCBs and RAM increases. I'm usually of the mind that I'd like to buy a thing once and be done with it.

I've got way too many controllers and would prefer to reduce the actual hardware hooked up per monitor while using original controllers. As I've got essentially a 4 player amount+ of controllers for basically every system made, barring a couple. I'd like to try and keep a bit of "authenticity" going in this direction as hand wringing as it is.

I've seen some different options for controller inputs options between LL cool joy, blister, snac and this MC Cthulhu based one. I've had a bit of experience using the later with arcade sticks for multi console purposes. And creating rj45 to whatever console has been pretty easy, I'm just a bit wary of dumping money into an ecosystem when I don't necessarily have to. Presuming there are solutions that fit my (hopefully) reduced price point more specifically.

Additionally, something that uses USB 3.x for external storage would be a boon as well.

I do realize that mister is a sightly more boutique product/platform and there are some costs associated with that. My research into it is still a bit jumbled onto what would be the best setup for me personally, despite knowing what the base set of items I'll be likely to need to get it running.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Anecdotally, there is another new, usually better, option every time you turn around, and standardization is not really a thing.

I just ordered some of those LLAMA boards to DIY, so I'll have 4 extras in probably a month if you're interested.

As of now, officially, only the NES/SNES cores support SNAC. I'm pretty happy with that as I'm usually the only one to play on it, but I'd like to have some future 2 player setups if possible, which is why I'm hoping that works out.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The controller situation is the worst part about MiSTer. I've got a Bliss-Box Gamer Pro, with a BlisSTer theoretically on the way at some point, but LLAPI's never getting merged into the main tree because Sorgelig is gonna keep blocking it. As for everything else, LLCoolJoy is vaporware, LLOAD has the same issues as Bliss-Box stuff since it depends on LLAPI, SNAC is only supported by two cores, and USB doesn't support anything other than regular controllers.

Basically, all the options suck, but for different reasons. I'm loving my MiSTer overall, but this is the one part that's been really frustrating about it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i use a 8bitdo ✌️

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Kreeblah posted:

The controller situation is the worst part about MiSTer. I've got a Bliss-Box Gamer Pro, with a BlisSTer theoretically on the way at some point, but LLAPI's never getting merged into the main tree because Sorgelig is gonna keep blocking it. As for everything else, LLCoolJoy is vaporware, LLOAD has the same issues as Bliss-Box stuff since it depends on LLAPI, SNAC is only supported by two cores, and USB doesn't support anything other than regular controllers.

Basically, all the options suck, but for different reasons. I'm loving my MiSTer overall, but this is the one part that's been really frustrating about it.

This is certainly the problem I've had trying to source a 'solution'. It's just a jumbled mess of options. Oddly enough there's 3 options (MC Cthulhu, Retroboard, PS360+) for arcade stick PCBs for PS3/360 and below that all just need an adapter to console. I don't understand why it has to be so exceedingly complicated and half serviced for original console controllers.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Has anyone managed to get The Minish Cap working on the GBA core? I can’t get past the file select screen, it renders offscreen, jitters and doesn’t react to button presses:

e: I should've read the readme for the GBA core on Github, turns out the open source BIOS has issues, swapping it out for Nintendo's one fixed it.

Magic Mango fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 18, 2020

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

2reachmu posted:

This is certainly the problem I've had trying to source a 'solution'. It's just a jumbled mess of options. Oddly enough there's 3 options (MC Cthulhu, Retroboard, PS360+) for arcade stick PCBs for PS3/360 and below that all just need an adapter to console. I don't understand why it has to be so exceedingly complicated and half serviced for original console controllers.

A big part of it is because Sorgelig doesn't care about them and has been very vocal about USB being "good enough". As far as I know, he just uses modern controllers for everything.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Kreeblah posted:

A big part of it is because Sorgelig doesn't care about them and has been very vocal about USB being "good enough". As far as I know, he just uses modern controllers for everything.

That's certainly viable if that what you want to do. I don't see why, now that the option is available for people to use, the interactive part of original hardware in a hardware-based emulation system for you not to offer the option. They make console to USB adapters for a reason after all.

In my opinion -- there are are options that meet or exceed original controllers design that use USB using a similar form factor to the original.

For example: I would say that the Pokken controller is a way better SNES controller than the SNES controller (poo poo some of the HORI controllers from that era are improvements). The PDP versus fight pad is a perfectly serviceable modern variation on a NEOCD controller with mechanical switches and 6 face buttons, unlike the NEOMINI reissue.

That doesn't mean I don't want the option to use the original offerings or derivatives for a platform that the system is emulating. This is especially true if lightgun support becomes more of a feature.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

2reachmu posted:

That's certainly viable if that what you want to do. I don't see why, now that the option is available for people to use, the interactive part of original hardware in a hardware-based emulation system for you not to offer the option. They make console to USB adapters for a reason after all.

In my opinion -- there are are options that meet or exceed original controllers design that use USB using a similar form factor to the original.

For example: I would say that the Pokken controller is a way better SNES controller than the SNES controller (poo poo some of the HORI controllers from that era are improvements). The PDP versus fight pad is a perfectly serviceable modern variation on a NEOCD controller with mechanical switches and 6 face buttons, unlike the NEOMINI reissue.

That doesn't mean I don't want the option to use the original offerings or derivatives for a platform that the system is emulating. This is especially true if lightgun support becomes more of a feature.

Yeah, I vastly prefer using original controllers myself, even if the responsiveness could be faster with a modern controller. I mean, the system's only going to poll for inputs every so often anyway, so as long as what I'm using is at least as fast as that, I figure I should be good.

And the whole "USB is good enough" thing falls flat on its face as soon as you bring in non-standard original controllers. Like, using a real Arkanoid controller with MiSTer means you're either going to be using a SNAC or an LLAPI device, and LLAPI has some issues with it, as far as I can tell. Dunno about SNAC yet, though, since I'm still waiting on mine. Sure, I could use a mouse, but that really doesn't feel the same, and I haven't really figured out where the diagrams are for building a Mr. Spinner. Plus, I'd have to then, y'know, actually build it.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, I vastly prefer using original controllers myself, even if the responsiveness could be faster with a modern controller. I mean, the system's only going to poll for inputs every so often anyway, so as long as what I'm using is at least as fast as that, I figure I should be good.

And the whole "USB is good enough" thing falls flat on its face as soon as you bring in non-standard original controllers. Like, using a real Arkanoid controller with MiSTer means you're either going to be using a SNAC or an LLAPI device, and LLAPI has some issues with it, as far as I can tell. Dunno about SNAC yet, though, since I'm still waiting on mine. Sure, I could use a mouse, but that really doesn't feel the same, and I haven't really figured out where the diagrams are for building a Mr. Spinner. Plus, I'd have to then, y'know, actually build it.

I'm definitely of the mind to use original controllers when applicable. I was just highlighting a couple modern controllers that fill in a gap that are similar and that use USB while are as good or better than original controllers.

More arcade specific interfaces can be a bit tricky and there are solutions for MAME worked out for a lot of them: trackball, spinner, 49-way and the like. And there are certainly more finicky and expensive options to factor in that are more complicated once you go down that rabbit hole, developer specific arcade sticks and buttons, Konami has a lot of cabs that use leaf Wico sticks, SNK rotary sticks for Ikari and such.

If I wanted to do something like a Tapper specific arcade controller that has two sticks, one 4-way and one 2-way there isn't much out there for setting that up. And that's not even getting into games with weird button only layouts like Asteroids and Defender.

I also realize I sound like a maniac. In for a penny in for a pound I suppose.

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 17, 2020

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Here’s something I couldn’t do without a method to use an original NES controller:

https://youtu.be/ECFyOjVx5gA

https://youtu.be/4rlnfUexnkQ

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

2reachmu posted:

I would say that the Pokken controller is a way better SNES controller than the SNES controller

I have this controller. Didn't even think it would be a good fit with a MiSTer, but I remember it being pretty comfy and responsive. Gotta try it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve been using the 8bitdo M30 for 90% of the cores and then switch to a DualShock 4 if an analog stick is needed. I have a new appreciation for the Sega Dpad.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Saoshyant posted:

I have this controller. Didn't even think it would be a good fit with a MiSTer, but I remember it being pretty comfy and responsive. Gotta try it.

It's certainly designed for hands larger than an 8 year old. The only real downside is that they cutout the LEDs and rumble for the home version making it not arcade accurate!:kingsley:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Looks like the PC Engine CD core is on its way. Sorgelig started creating the commits this morning. Nothing we can actually play yet, but if the past is any indication it shouldn't be too long.

Also, if you want a simple top and bottom protective MiSTer shell, this one on Etsy looks pretty nice and comes in a few colors.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Looks like the PC Engine CD core is on its way. Sorgelig started creating the commits this morning. Nothing we can actually play yet, but if the past is any indication it shouldn't be too long.

Oh hell yeah

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Watch out on today’s MiSTer update release - while it brings the AtariST core, it ALSO breaks a fair number of Jotego’s CPS1 offerings.

Edit: resolved now!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 20, 2020

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

https://twitter.com/AshEvans81/status/1251968970674057222

Apparently LL Cool Joy is still in the process of beta-testing. Promising news for me and my hyper-specific need/want set.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

2reachmu posted:

Apparently LL Cool Joy is still in the process of beta-testing. Promising news for me and my hyper-specific need/want set.

What will that board allow?

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Saoshyant posted:

What will that board allow?

My guess would be Dualshock 2 on down + USB controllers. I had a chat with the Dev for a bit last night but here is some of the info I got:
-it will support 6+ controllers at the same time
-uses RJ45 for cheap original controller adapting
-has onboard DB9/DB15/USB for those consoles that use it
-may have a squid adapter from RJ45 for multiple controllers from one port
-maybe original multi-tap support (if someone wants to do some coding)

My guess is that it's like a blister+ but a fair bit cheaper on the consumer end factoring in the cost of original controller adapters (if you've got a RJ45 crimper).

How long is it going to take to get finished? It's real hard to say, the guy seems like he has a 1000 projects he's working on. But there are some beta boards getting to some folks.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Now that the updated Atari ST core is out and there is a (slow) 486 core for Mister, does anyone have a guide on how it would be possible to connect a Roland MT-32 or SC-55 to Mister? I know the Mist project had a midi interface for this purpose, but I’m not sure on how that works for Mister. Everything on YouTube seems to be using a simulated or emulated MT-32 (Munt), so I’m not even sure what I want to do is possible. I’d just like to play some classic computer games on Mister using some cool synth music.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

I imagine using one of the midi to USB cables that Roland puts out would be the way to do it. How'd you mix the sound fx back in I couldn't tell you. I don't think mister has a line in.

I'm hoping they roll the big Roland SC stuff into it. Hard to say though.

Maybe this board would help?
https://misteraddons.com/product/audio-tape-input-board-adc-in/

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Incoming AtariST content:

https://youtu.be/1bd0ibFYnEs

https://youtu.be/hVFu6nLdpvw

https://youtu.be/bz7TqM-clPk

Also! Legendary Wings!!

https://youtu.be/uweIxK2ka6s

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
8Bitdo is releasing a 2.4g TG16 controller. It doesn't explicitly say it's compatible for PC, but just like the M30 I'm sure it will work fine with a usb cable and also work on the MiSTer. The TG16 version looks super lame, just having the yellow and no orange. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0872QNPHK?th=1

Originally I was going to get this Hori controller, but it never got a new release date after they delayed the TG16 mini: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V1Q2G8T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not going deep into MiSTer to get original controllers working, but I like the idea of having not terrible USB controllers in the same style. Torn about which one to get, I love all 8bitdo controllers but they took some liberty with the design where as the Hori one looks closer to the original.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I don't need the IO Board, so looking at misteraddons, it looks like I'd be better off picking up the $6 USB Hub from the OP over spending $40 on the USB Hub that plugs directly into the main board, right? The cases on Misteraddons all look like they're really designed for the DE10, USB Hub, and IO Board. Is there a good solution for a setup with just the DE10, RAM, and the cheaper USB dongle? Is there a size limitation on the micro SD card?

edit: Oh duh, I see the bottom plate listed now.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 5, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You can't even get your hands on the original design of the IO board anymore in my experience anyway. The new builds have the buttons and ports in different spots so the cases built for the original layout don't work.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I think I ignored arcade stick chat last time it was brought up, cause I convinced myself I was just going to get an 8Bitdo N30 arcade stick, but the last 4 on ebay have sold for $150-$250 which is dumb. Just looking for something to use for the Neo Geo core and Arcade stuff.

My only real requirements are:

*Not cheaply made with bad sticks/buttons, I don't really want to buy something just to have to replace components. ( I was willing to do this when the N30 was $40 on sale... wish I would have bought one then. )
*Something with an adjustable gate, things like Pac Man and Ghost's N Goblins are going to control like poo poo without it. Though I heard a streamer the other night complaining about it even with a 4 way gate, so I guess that might be stick dependent.

Don't need to go crazy on the details, just looking for some names of things to do some research on. I was considering the Mayflash F500 Elite, but only because it's one of the only other arcade sticks I'm familiar with.

edit: Apparently there are a lot of people who make custom skins for the F500 Elite, a nice bonus. My first choice:

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 7, 2020

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Buy a hori rap 3/4. Or a street fighter 4 mad catz stick. Used ones on eBay are sub 100$ all day.

If you want something brand new there's a sale right now on this qanba PS4 stick: https://qanbausa.com/crystal/

You are invariably going to end up buying parts for your arcade stick, be it a new gate or buttons or springs or different stick entirely. Lots of people that are into shoot em ups have converted to Korean levers recently for instance. Plenty of 2d fighter guys like playing on a Hitbox or Seimitsu levers. If you want to play Street Fighter 2 like you remember it in the arcades there are totally different parts you'll need to accomplish that. You may even want mechanical keyboard switch buttons like Crown or Gamerfinger offer.

Some things are more game specific with 2-way/4-way gates and such. Arcade sticks are made for a high level of customization for the most part and you should approach it as such to build out a stick to your liking.

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 7, 2020

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Just got my Mister stuff in today. So many of the guides for attaching the other boards mention to install the heatsink that I just figured the de-10 came with one. So right now I don't have any cooling at all. Currently I just have the 128 Ram and a USB dongle.

I'll be playing on a TV that can do 720 or 1080. Can anyone give me a brief "adjust these settings first" overview? I remember learning about integer scaling and shimmering and scanlines a couple of years back but I think I've forgotten most of it now. If I remember correctly integer scaling puts the exact pixels to the screen with no stretching and this eliminates shimmer from certain pixels being in between an exact position... something like that.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Jolo posted:

I'll be playing on a TV that can do 720 or 1080. Can anyone give me a brief "adjust these settings first" overview? I remember learning about integer scaling and shimmering and scanlines a couple of years back but I think I've forgotten most of it now. If I remember correctly integer scaling puts the exact pixels to the screen with no stretching and this eliminates shimmer from certain pixels being in between an exact position... something like that.
Everyone probably lands on different settings, but for a super sharp image I'd suggest starting by opening up your MiSTer.ini and adjusting these lines:

vscale_mode=2

video_mode=8

That'll give you a 1080p signal with integer scaling at .5 steps for a super crisp picture that takes up as much of the screen as possible. Then within a core you can try applying custom filters to see what feels right. I'm a fan of sharp scanlines for most cores but there are all sorts of options and they're easy to test.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

The beta's been kicking around for a while, but today Josh Bassett put out the public 1.0 release of Rygar.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

If anyone is looking for miSTer hardware, I'm selling my setup on SA-Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923523

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I've been messing around with Neo Geo a bit but haven't found a good answer about the region setting. I can set the region to USA, Europe, or Japan. Generally when I think of Europe and video games my first thought is 50hz but that hasn't been the case with the Neo Geo games I've played. Is there any advantage to setting to a specific region?

Neo Geo has been a fun learning process so far. A lot of these games are gorgeous. There's a Double Dragon game on here but instead of a beatemup it's a fighting game based on the movie.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Jolo posted:

I've been messing around with Neo Geo a bit but haven't found a good answer about the region setting. I can set the region to USA, Europe, or Japan. Generally when I think of Europe and video games my first thought is 50hz but that hasn't been the case with the Neo Geo games I've played. Is there any advantage to setting to a specific region?

Regional differences. Pretty sure they mostly used a single ROM for each game, and stuff like the language and title would change based on the region. As well as other details, red blood in the Metal Slug games for Japan comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Jolo posted:

Neo Geo has been a fun learning process so far. A lot of these games are gorgeous. There's a Double Dragon game on here but instead of a beatemup it's a fighting game based on the movie.

There... is... another! (Rage of the Dragons)