Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JUNGLE BOY posted:

all main roster talent released today are under 90 day non competes until july 15th

https://heelbynature.com/wrestling-...nd-for-30-days/

It notes in the article that they'll still be getting their downside guarantee for those 90 days but if I understand correctly how that works (perhaps not!) any released wrestlers who have already exceeded that get... nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

It notes in the article that they'll still be getting their downside guarantee for those 90 days but if I understand correctly how that works (perhaps not!) any released wrestlers who have already exceeded that get... nothing?

Correct, it's how WWE were able to gently caress over the Revival extra-hard for the past 2 months

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I got a question. Could a person under one of those 90-day non-compete clauses go onto some form of media but not be in a match? Like let's say Rusev or whoever was on Being the Elite. Is that allowed?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
So it's pretty crazy that the wwe has all the power here. American labour law is tough

In say rugby league in australia if a player signs for 4 years for 800k a year and he stinks it up and become a liability on the salary cap that player is still entitled to his contract. The club can try and move him on but have to pay the difference between a deal he gets elsewhere and his existing deal

It seems terrible that Rusev was stuck in the wwe but could be cut any time. Obviously this is from their contract position as independent contractors but it's just a rip off

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Sarah Logan had 8 televised (i.e. Main Event doesn't count) singles matches in three years on the main roster and 4 of them were squash losses. Her WWE singles career lasted roughly half an hour. Of course she looked like poo poo.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

I got a question. Could a person under one of those 90-day non-compete clauses go onto some form of media but not be in a match? Like let's say Rusev or whoever was on Being the Elite. Is that allowed?

A person under a 90-day non-compete clause could do whatever the gently caress they wanted if they felt like spending money to win a court case. The contracts are total bullshit and Brock destroyed them in court about it already

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Waffleopolis posted:

Technically they can, but it's tricky. The whole deal with the non-compete is that you get paid the rest of your downside for those 90 days, but if you appear in another promotion you void that pay. You could probably challenge it in court, but most wrestlers don't have Brock Lesnar money and aren't willing to burn that bridge if they hope to get rehired down the line.

I don't know where BTE fits into this criteria since it's just a YouTube show and "officially" doesn't have any affiliation with AEW (like obviously it's run by AEW talent, but the show is never acknowledged on AEW television and as far as I know they remain separate entities). But either way, it's probably not worth the risk.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

If they're under a 90 day no-compete but have already gotten their entire downside, they can just start working anywhere they want, as I understand it.

The central gently caress here is that nobody is operating except for the evil company that just fired them in the middle of a loving global crisis

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Yeah in ideal times there would be other options. With everyone shut up shop it's gonna be tough.

Japanese promotions aren't gonna be flush with cash to sign guys. Plus with travel restrictions going forward one good source of wrestling income might be cut off. Someone like say Robbie Eagles is gonna have to consider relocating permanently to Japan

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I can't predict the smackdown releases because everyone there is such a loser that sheamus can win handicap matches versus people with names and corbin has been the #2 heel for over 6 months. Maybe the lucha house party, tamina (or she signs another 100 year deal), or bobby roode.

Quick Trivia: Drake Maverick was actually drafted to smackdown when it moved to fox, who knew

I gotta wonder, if Matt Hardy took that NXT producer job would he be jobless right now and waiting for them to "call him back when things get better"?

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 16, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So if released international talent lose their work visas does this mean they turned Drake Maverick into an illegal immigrant in the middle of a pandemic?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
He would be a nonresident alien, but I don’t trust anyone in ice to make that distinction. He better watch his back or they’re going to shut him in a pan with 90 possibly sick people who weren’t born in the good old US of a.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
spud is a phenomenal talent IMO, it's just depressing that they found a good role for him and destroyed it by making him into the "wacky short guy" that pisses his pants and can't gently caress his wife

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Low Desert Punk posted:

spud is a phenomenal talent IMO, it's just depressing that they found a good role for him and destroyed it by making him into the "wacky short guy" that pisses his pants and can't gently caress his wife

If you can't figure out how to use Spud in your promotion then you suck at running a promotion. He'd be a perfect fit anywhere.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's a mark of how overstuffed WWE's bench was after the "sign everyone" panic that there are so many names on this list that I don't recognise.

Hearing that Bobson Dugnutt has been let go from 205 Live...

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Bee posted:

He would be a nonresident alien, but I don’t trust anyone in ice to make that distinction. He better watch his back or they’re going to shut him in a pan with 90 possibly sick people who weren’t born in the good old US of a.

Why on earth would ICE go after a white dude from England? Their only motivation seems to be racism.

Also, RIP in peace Zack Ryder.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lamuella posted:

It's a mark of how overstuffed WWE's bench was after the "sign everyone" panic that there are so many names on this list that I don't recognise.

The brutal reality is that the roster cut is overdue. The timing is rank rotten & indefensible, but they've been stockpiling guys without trimming guys who didn't make it and it's not been good. They could easily chop a 100 men & women from their talent pool and still have too bloated a roster.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Max Coveri posted:

Oh god I just realized Rusev got released but Lana didn't :gonk:

This is probably their ideal situation. Lana resigned a while ago while Rusev wanted out. Lana can make that main roster money, and Rusev can do what he wants that makes him happy elsewhere.

forkboy84 posted:

The brutal reality is that the roster cut is overdue. The timing is rank rotten & indefensible, but they've been stockpiling guys without trimming guys who didn't make it and it's not been good. They could easily chop a 100 men & women from their talent pool and still have too bloated a roster.

This is true. It's really lovely that they are cutting them now, but it is shocking that they've been sitting on all these people and doing nothing with them for years. Like if you're someone like No Way Jose, is it better to have been paid through July 15th 2020 with main roster pay to do what you did, or been more realistically cut 2 years ago when you peaked by beating Curtis Hawkings on Main Event?

It's still indefensable to cut anybody in the middle of all this poo poo when they claim they have a stockpile of half a billion dollars and can ride it out and pay talent until they can actually work elsewhere. Because who knows how long until they can work again

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 16, 2020

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Benne posted:

If you can't figure out how to use Spud in your promotion then you suck at running a promotion. He'd be a perfect fit anywhere.

TNA used him properly, that's how badly the WWE hosed up

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Testekill posted:

TNA used him properly, that's how badly the WWE hosed up

People in the last 5 years I can think of that TNA used better than WWE (Sting, Joe and Christian go without saying, but they're lifetime achievements here):

Robert Roode
EC3
Rockstar Spud
James Storm
Lashley
DJZ
Maria
Matt, Reby, Maxel and Jeff Hardy
Eric Young
Kurt Angle (final match vs Lashley in TNA or final match vs Baron Corbin in WWE, which would you rather have? Exactly, he's staying on this list)

The Too Early To Say department but I'll pencil them in:

John Morrison
Scarlett Bordeaux
Killer Kross

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 16, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Think they knew exactly who they were cutting when they offered Florida their $18 million dollar bribe?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Anymore releases coming?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I remember when James Storm popped up on NXT for exactly one squash match and used it as leverage to get like a $250k guaranteed personal services contract from Panda Energy.

King.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fatherofmustard posted:

Anymore releases coming?

absolutely, that giant list of people was only wrestlers from RAW with a few nxt/pc people

i'd bet there's going to be more nxt cuts announced either today or tomorrow and then a bunch of smackdown cuts announced after that show

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

flatluigi posted:

absolutely, that giant list of people was only wrestlers from RAW with a few nxt/pc people

i'd bet there's going to be more nxt cuts announced either today or tomorrow and then a bunch of smackdown cuts announced after that show

Heath Slater was on SD

bartok
May 10, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

I remember when James Storm popped up on NXT for exactly one squash match and used it as leverage to get like a $250k guaranteed personal services contract from Panda Energy.

King.

I know a lot of people, myself included, thought James Storm was an idiot for returning for TNA. In hindsight he was absolutely right.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fatherofmustard posted:

Anymore releases coming?

Dave on Observer Radio said from what he was told he doesn't think there's more main roster cuts coming. Fightful said there've been on-camera talent furloughed that will come out if the talent choose to make that public

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

well, this is certainly a good day to bury bad news in the wrestling world, so if they're going to release anyone else, this is the day for them to do it

rip Howard Finkel

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

People in the last 5 years I can think of that TNA used better than WWE (Sting and Christian go without saying, but they're lifetime achievements here):

Robert Roode
EC3
Rockstar Spud
James Storm
Lashley
DJZ
Maria
Eric Young
Kurt Angle (final match vs Lashley in TNA or final match vs Baron Corbin in WWE, which would you rather have? Exactly, he's staying on this list)

John Morrison
Scarlett Bordeaux
Killer Kross

Gunner and Sam Shaw were also used better

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

People in the last 5 years I can think of that TNA used better than WWE (Sting and Christian go without saying, but they're lifetime achievements here):

Robert Roode
EC3
Rockstar Spud
James Storm
Lashley
DJZ
Maria
Eric Young

John Morrison
Scarlett Bordeaux
Killer Kross

Sami Callihan, RVD, and Tessa if you include her appearance in that Mae Young Classic.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Robert Roode
EC3
Rockstar Spud
James Storm
Lashley
DJZ
Maria
Eric Young

John Morrison
Scarlett Bordeaux
Killer Kross

There were ebbs and flows for sure but I'd put Joe on the list if only for the years of amazing X-Division matches and his series with Kurt.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
When I started watching NXT a few years ago, the first dude I saw was No Way Jose, and immediately thought that he had the kind of presence that a Dusty Rhodes/JYD/Hulk Hogan had. Where you just want to see what they're up to. And then nothing happened with him until yesterday.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oh yeah Samoa Joe's prob in the lifetime achievement section too at this point, his latest injury just kinda made me forget about him altogether

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Is the furlough situation going to end up with wrestlers not getting paid for several months — still without access to any traditional employment benefits like health insurance — only to have the time they were furloughed added onto the end of their contracts whether they want it or not?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It’s producers that are furloughed, not wrestlers.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

It’s producers that are furloughed, not wrestlers.

No, you just might not hear from the furloughed wrestlers.

https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1250630851869716480?s=21

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How the gently caress do you even furlough an independent contractor?

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Chris James 2 posted:

People in the last 5 years I can think of that TNA used better than WWE (Sting, Joe and Christian go without saying, but they're lifetime achievements here):

Robert Roode
EC3
Rockstar Spud
James Storm
Lashley
DJZ
Maria
Eric Young

John Morrison
Scarlett Bordeaux
Killer Kross

Awesome Kong, Gail Kim, Mickie James & Victoria could probably make that list, too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Very carefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Cerebral Bore posted:

WWE labels it’s talent whatever designation benefits WWE the most, switching it situationally.