Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Gonzo McFee posted:

She has a massive golden piano that she gave a speech in front of.

We're all in this together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.24.20042937v1 is a pre-print of a paper exploring the possibility - I'll leave it to wiser posters to point out any glaring errors in it.

I've flicked through the paper and whilst I think it's an interesting topic, I don't think this is the way to look at it. It's quite a poorly constructed study (they haven't even really established the degree to which countries have good BCG coverage. Does an active vaccine program mean good uptake? Or good population coverage? What if it only started last year?).

There are, simply, far too many factors accounting for differences in death rates between countries in a pandemic than can be reasonably accounted for here.

The best way I can think of doing this is a cohort study looking at ITU admissions for ventilation for cov-19 positive patients. Split into BCG and non-BCG vaccinated patients. Control for age, gender, comorbids. See who does better. This would only tell you if bcg is a protective factor in preventing death in ITU (+/- secondary outcomes like duration of stay, time intubated etc).
You could also do it at point of testing for cov-19, looking at progression to hospital admission +/- I+V. Again this would be limited in that it's only tracking people who get symptoms (maybe BCG stops you from even getting those?) but it'd still be an interesting project.

These could be retrospective audits, but often info on BCG vaccination is poorly recorded so would be unlikely to yield information.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

happyhippy posted:

"Cross me, and I'll do you a Diana."

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.24.20042937v1 is a pre-print of a paper exploring the possibility - I'll leave it to wiser posters to point out any glaring errors in it.

quote:

Our data suggests that BCG vaccination seem to significantly reduce mortality associated with COVID-19.

This sentence (and the paper in general) is a pretty good example of an ecological fallacy. They don't have the data for these inferences.

This blog post explains the issues well:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/madhukarpai/2020/04/12/bcg-against-coronavirus-less-hype-and-more-evidence-please/#7145f9c06b4f

The WHO cautions that there's no evidence that BCG vaccination is protective against COVID-19:
https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/bacille-calmette-gu%C3%A9rin-(bcg)-vaccination-and-covid-19

(apols if these links have been posted, I've been taking an internet break)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that was loud

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

that was loud

Couple of knobheads doing burnouts on their bikes around here, which if nothing else is a waste of rubber when every bike tyre shop in 20 miles is closed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

that was loud

What was?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Banging and clapping I guess

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The National Clap, which is different to what Boris had

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Clap for the NHS is such virtue signalling bullshit. If you really care about the NHS stop voting for a poo poo eating party that thinks, fundamentally that healthcare workers don’t deserve money or equipment.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52312560

UK 2020: "the purchase of snacks and luxuries is still permitted”

quote:

Coronavirus lockdown: Police guidelines give 'reasonable excuses' to go out
By Danny Shaw Home affairs correspondent

Police have been told to stop people "home-working" in parks or sitting on a public bench for long periods of time.

Guidance to officers in England says neither activity is likely to be a "reasonable excuse" for someone to leave their home in the lockdown.

But the advice from police leaders and trainers says that people can move to a friend's address for a cooling-off period "following arguments at home".

It says such moves must be "genuine" and "measured in days, not hours".

The three-page document, entitled "what constitutes a reasonable excuse to leave the place where you live", is designed to help police enforce the emergency restrictions that came into effect three weeks ago and are set to be extended.

It has been produced by the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) and the College of Policing, and appears to be drawn from guidelines issued by the Crown Prosecution Service.

But it has not been made public before - and suggests that some police have been applying the rules in the wrong way.

The regulations say householders can go outside if there's a "reasonable excuse", such as shopping for essential items, providing medical help and for exercise.

The guidance spells out what is "likely to be reasonable" for each of the key categories.

It says buying food for several days, including "luxury items and alcohol", is likely to be reasonable.

"There is no need for all of a person's shopping to be basic food supplies; the purchase of snacks and luxuries is still permitted," it says.

Last week, Northamptonshire Police Chief Constable Nick Adderley backtracked after threatening that his officers would start to look in people's shopping trolleys and baskets if they continued to flout the rules.

It also says people are not allowed to buy paint and brushes "simply to redecorate a kitchen" but can purchase tools and supplies to repair a fence "damaged in recent bad weather".

Exercise guidelines

On exercise, the guidance lists driving to the countryside for a walk as "reasonable" if "far more time" is spent walking than driving.

But it adds that driving for a "prolonged period with only brief exercise" is not reasonable.

That would appear to indicate that someone who drove for an hour to a beauty spot for a walk would not be contravening the rules.

Under the guidance, police are advised not to intervene if people stop to rest or eat lunch while on a long walk, but short walks to sit on a park bench are not allowed.

"A very short period of 'exercise' to excuse a long period of inactivity may mean that the person is not engaged in 'exercise' but in fact something else," the guidance says.

The document also clarifies that anyone can travel to work if it is not "reasonably possible" to work from home. However, it says it is not allowed for home-workers to "choose" to work in a park.

The College of Policing said the information was published for forces before the Easter Bank Holiday weekend.

"It was designed to help officers remain consistent with criminal justice colleagues," a spokesman added.

annoyingly the article doesn’t link a copy of the doc. is it on the web somewhere?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Cerv posted:

annoyingly the article doesn’t link a copy of the doc. is it on the web somewhere?

https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/Documents/What-constitutes-a-reasonable-excuse.pdf

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
some fireworks and stuff here

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
heard the clapping while cycling in south london and i’m surprised how mad it made me

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
So going out to buy an ‘essential’ newspaper every day is likely to be reasonable, but going out once to get DIY supplies is not? Hmm

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ta

notable that exercise is specifically not limited to once per day. I’m sure that contradicts a specific statement by at least one cabinet member

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Cerv posted:

ta

notable that exercise is specifically not limited to once per day. I’m sure that contradicts a specific statement by at least one cabinet member

The Health Protection Regulations doesn't give a limit

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That photo of the Queen reminds me of a Tweet I saw last week. It was her image but on closer inspection she was wearing the white Aheago shirt.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Just came back from a big walk and it felt nice everyone clapping as I walked in the middle of the road. Parade

No birds but I saw some frogs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

So going out to buy an ‘essential’ newspaper every day is likely to be reasonable, but going out once to get DIY supplies is not? Hmm

How else will you find out how well Boris is doing?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Cerv posted:

ta

It said "one form of exercise" so you can do unlimited instances of your chosen exercise, maybe go for 20 walks a day, but you mustn't walk AND cycle on the same day.

(Pretty sure they originally meant one time per day but that's not what they said! Hastily drawn up legislation!)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How long have you been on that bench mate?! Where do you live *whips out calculator*

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
lmao

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1250868122376159283?s=20

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
To my eternal shame, I actually helped that Akehurst campaign in Cabot. (We had no other potential candidates as far as I remember.) He did not resemble Trotsky. He was very pink and barely spoke at all. I thought it was shyness but later realized it's because we were all people he hated.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1250882270896041987

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Stumbled off that tweet into a Carrie Symonds thread. The arslikhan for St Boris is making me :barf:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't know Bruno Mars was a tory.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
in case anyone else is wondering what CCF is, it's this

quote:

The Conservative Christian Fellowship (CCF) is an organisation working within the British Conservative Party. Established in 1990 by Tim Montgomerie and Conservative MP David Burrowes, while they were students at Exeter University,[2] the organisation supports Christians in the Conservative Party and represents the party to the Christian world. Its purpose is to be a bridge between the Christian world and the Conservative Party.

British politics is just so incredibly incestuous, it's all cunts who've known each other since they were 20.

Like literally half the time I google an MP/journalist they seem to be married to an MP/journalist.

burn britian to the ground and start over, imho

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't know Bruno Mars was a tory.

"Easy come, easy go
That's just how the Tories live
We take, take, take it all but you never give
Should've known we was trouble from the first election
Had your eyes wide open

Why were they open
Took you all the NHS had and we tossed it in the trash
We tossed it in the trash, we did
To give me all your votes is all we ever ask
'Cause what you don't understand is

We'd catch immigrants for ya (yeah yeah)
Throw the NHS on a blade for ya (yeah yeah)
We'd privatise the trains for ya (yeah yeah)
You know we won't do anything for ya (yeah yeah)
Oh whoa oh
We would put you through all this pain
Make you wish for a bullet straight through my brain
Yes you would die for your Tory baby
But we won't do the same
No no no no"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

in case anyone else is wondering what CCF is, it's this

British politics is just so incredibly incestuous, it's all cunts who've known each other since they were 20.

Like literally half the time I google an MP/journalist they seem to be married to an MP/journalist.

burn britian to the ground and start over, imho

I always thought it was Combined Cadet Force!

https://combinedcadetforce.org.uk/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I always thought it was Combined Cadet Force!

https://combinedcadetforce.org.uk/

That was actually my first thought, too, because we had one at my (grammar :commissar:) school, but I was pretty sure the tory boy/cadet correlation wasn't quite official enough for there to be a poster.

lol

e: how old is akehurst, it didn't turn up on the very quick Google search I did and he looks like he could be anywhere between 12 and 50. that leaflet looks like it was produced in the late 70s to me

XMNN fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 16, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

e: how old is akehurst, it didn't turn up on the very quick Google search I did and he looks like he could be anywhere between 12 and 50. that leaflet looks like it was produced in the late 70s to me

48 according to WikiSpooks. (Born in 72)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

If anyone's got any dough:

NB JVL shared the link, they're not the ones running the Just Giving.

quote:

Weʼre raising £5,000 to defend legal proceedings brought by BBC Panorama reporter John Ware

https://twitter.com/JVoiceLabour/status/1250895960265416704?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 16, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Cerv posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52312560

UK 2020: "the purchase of snacks and luxuries is still permitted”

Apologies if I've misread your point but buying alcohol is always going to be permitted, we are a nation of alcoholics and a tide of people going into withdrawal all at once would be a disaster, and if we're letting people get their booze anyway then they might as well buy some crisps too while they're there. The post-Thatcher rise in alcoholism still has a particular wierdly specific place in the Tory superego though they're always going to rhetoric it as 'snacks and luxuries' poo poo.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
at 21 in the early 90s Luke Akehurst looked like a 1950s bank teller lmao

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bump_fn posted:

heard the clapping while cycling in south london and i’m surprised how mad it made me

I'm in a Labour seat so I just think it's pointless, but I'm sure if I were in a Tory seat it would enrage the gently caress out of me

lol he went to Exeter, no surprise there

there can't be many universities where the largest political society on campus is the Tories

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm in a Labour seat so I just think it's pointless, but I'm sure if I were in a Tory seat it would enrage the gently caress out of me

the clapping is okay in Leith because i don't think many people voted tory around here. i may court the ire of the thread here but i did a bit of clapping myself tbh just because it seemed nicer than just sitting by the window not doing anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The clapping woke me up.