Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I mean, I get being pissed and feeling like the way the game ended posthumously ruining the game running up to that point. I legit felt exactly the same way about Farcry 5's ending and how the base game there is exactly 0 ways for the primary antagonist to be defeated. In every ending he is either proven explicitly correct and survives, or you gently caress off and leave him to his antics. I was so put-off by it that that I quit the game and immediately uninstalled it. It was bullshit and left a sour taste in my mouth. But I also feel like FF7 flags that poo poo's getting weird and preps you to start expecting the unexpected really early in the game and it has setup and payoff to the whole plot ghosts thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

Cloud x Rufus forever.

which penis opens up to accept the others tho?

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
So this is an interesting bit that doesn't get reflected in the English dialogue track:

https://twitter.com/SchalaKitty/status/1250498614369169408

Tl;dr Sephiroth uses "ore" pronouns in the Edge Of Creation scene instead of "watashi"; "ore" was his standard usage before he went bugfuck/got good and Jenova'd, while "watashi" is crazy!Sephiroth. He does use "watashi" throughout the rest of FFVIIr, only using "ore" at the Edge Of Creation.. Make of it as much or as little as you like, I spose.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Asema posted:

which penis opens up to accept the others tho?

What the gently caress

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress

come on now the office wasn't that long ago

i guess for context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8QPOsLBeXM

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vino posted:

Yup, that's pretty close to how I feel. It's the first game in decades I've allowed myself to get excited for, and then it's not even what was on the tin. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew this. Look I'm OK if they change stuff, I thought they made a lot of positive changes, I thought it was an overall good game. They did better than the original in many many ways. If they had called it "Final Fantasy 7 Whispers of Destiny" I would be fine and we wouldn't be having this conversation. But they put the name "Remake" on it, and I feel lied to and betrayed.

This is basically how I feel. It feels like so much surrounding this game was deceptive if their plan all along was "actually we're planning on changing how the story plays out." And when I say changes, I don't mean "we expanded sections of the game." I don't care about small story adjustments to make the story more cohesive, but if the next game has Aerith aware of her death and it turns to heroic sacrifice or say she doesn't die at all. That sucks (to me, obv).

I don't want a 1:1 shot-for-shot remake. I want the story to play out how it did before though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

taichara posted:

So this is an interesting bit that doesn't get reflected in the English dialogue track:

https://twitter.com/SchalaKitty/status/1250498614369169408

Tl;dr Sephiroth uses "ore" pronouns in the Edge Of Creation scene instead of "watashi"; "ore" was his standard usage before he went bugfuck/got good and Jenova'd, while "watashi" is crazy!Sephiroth. He does use "watashi" throughout the rest of FFVIIr, only using "ore" at the Edge Of Creation.. Make of it as much or as little as you like, I spose.

The implication is in that moment he's not gently caress crazy and is actually sincerely trying to make a point....which is odd.....huh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Asema posted:

come on now the office wasn't that long ago

i guess for context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8QPOsLBeXM

:laffo: I have not seen that one before.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mordiceius posted:

This is basically how I feel. It feels like so much surrounding this game was deceptive if their plan all along was "actually we're planning on changing how the story plays out." And when I say changes, I don't mean "we expanded sections of the game." I don't care about small story adjustments to make the story more cohesive, but if the next game has Aerith aware of her death and it turns to heroic sacrifice or say she doesn't die at all. That sucks (to me, obv).

I don't want a 1:1 shot-for-shot remake. I want the story to play out how it did before though.

In your words, what were these changes they made?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Asema posted:

sounds like they are remaking the story and you just cried for nothing about it, better go into the court of law to get your refund bud loving lmao

gently caress off.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Flopsy posted:

The implication is in that moment he's not gently caress crazy and is actually sincerely trying to make a point....which is odd.....huh.

It explains(? maybe) the slight surprise/flinch/whatever you want to call that brief look when Cloud goes hell no. It certainly looked more like a genuinely human response.

Maybe we will see him fight himself, or something.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress off.

i'm sorry my post making fun of the guy who cried about 5% and is demanding square give him a refund in the court of law apparently also applies to you.

Like I said, being upset that they changed it is fine, nobody is going to like everything somebody else may enjoy, but being a crybaby about it to the point of "I was lied to and wanted a refund based on the ethics of the word remake!!!!!" should be made fun of lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There's a game out there for people who want to enjoy the original story of Final Fantasy 7, it's called Final Fantasy 7 and it's currently ported to pretty much every device short of an actual potato.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They really were telegraphing that it wasn't going to be a faithful adaptation pretty hard. Sorry if you were disappointed with the game you got, but the best thing to do is just play something else you enjoy now instead of being mad about it and hate playing the sequels.

DrNutt posted:

There's a game out there for people who want to enjoy the original story of Final Fantasy 7, it's called Final Fantasy 7 and it's currently ported to pretty much every device short of an actual potato.

Also this.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

taichara posted:

It explains(? maybe) the slight surprise/flinch/whatever you want to call that brief look when Cloud goes hell no. It certainly looked more like a genuinely human response.

Maybe we will see him fight himself, or something.

Intriguingly it opens up more questions about what's going on with Sephiroth's mental state in this game. We mostly assume (understandably so) he's an irredeemable lunatic but in the remake he has this rare moment of lucidity when he asks Cloud for help. I wonder if some part of him is still human and is genuinely begging for some sort of help?

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 16, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

“Sephiroth as party member” and “save aerith” were both famous fake rumours back in the day so I will be extremely amused if both of them are made possible in the remake

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The only thing I know for real, is that there will be blood shed.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Vino posted:

Sephiroth is trying to slam a meteor into earth to crack it open and slurp up lifestream. He's only interested in Cloud insofar as Cloud can help him. He has no reason to fight Cloud. As for Cloud, he can't even fight Sephiroth because he's still lying to himself about his identity and is under Jenova's thrall. Barret Aeris and RedXIII have never even seen Sephiroth. Sephiroth has never explained his intentions or motivations or plan. Cloud and Aeris say they have to fight him because "Believe me he's bad". My friend who has never played the original watched me play it and I asked her "why do we want to fight Sephiroth" and her answer was "I dunno ... he's the bad guy?"
What you are saying is significantly more true in the original. "Why are we chasing this guy?" is never really made clear until Cloud drops 2+ hours of exposition on you and even then it's tenuous. Having Sephiroth show up, loving kill Barret, and then dare the party to change Destiny serves as a valuable plot device - you are introduced to the actual bad guy of the game and everyone has a personal stake in the outcome. Would you have preferred they end the game on Motor Ball? Like... seriously?

quote:

You're defending a popular series to release utter trash for as long as they want because it will make money. I don't buy that one. All other things being equal, good stuff makes more money than bad stuff. Regardless of how you felt about SW 8 and 9, if they had made generally likeable movies instead of polarizing ones, they could have kept their cinematic universe going a lot longer.
I am not defending the idea that they could release trash and it would still make money, I am telling you that those are the facts. Regardless of how you feel about SW 8 and 9, they made money. Like, a shitload of money. And those are cases in which the IP was handled with let's call it a less than deft touch. I've seen arguments from you and others about people who won't buy the sequels now because they've been LIED TO and BETRAYED and the reality is that I don't buy that one for a second. FF7's new sub-series is the closest you can get to a sure thing in terms of sales, so to suggest otherwise is specious, at best, and seems like a temper tantrum at worst.

quote:

I'll applaud the effort as soon as I'm over being lied to. They called it a "Remake" - it's not a remake. It's a completely different story by their own in-universe logic.
I think the dev team was trying to go for the idea that remakes don't have to be 1:1 recreations of classics with new graphics and voice acting. Even then, apart from the ending, this game is extremely a remake! Everything that happened in the original FF7 also happened in this one, more or less, up until the last cutscene, barring Wedge being dead versus alive. There's more stuff in it, but they didn't really cut anything, and then the ending happens. In that sense it makes sense that they'd call this one FF7 Remake and the next ones will drop the "remake" from the title entirely.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FF7-2: Rewrite

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think a big part of it is that a lot of the things that changed and have nothing to do with the Whispers--new areas, new chapters, all of Wall Market, expanded characters like the Avalanche crew, etc.--have been received really positively. Again, I'm sure there are some ultra-purist nerds out there who are annoyed at them, but overall, it seems like Square could've changed things on that level--even down to, like, Wedge somehow surviving by falling into an underground Shinra lab--without any real uproar or controversy. And expanding on the story to that degree would on its own have made this a pretty exciting remake, even over the course of three parts.

It's just, I dunno, the Whispers are kinda dumb.

But again, there's a lot of dumb poo poo in the original FFVII. They feel out of place to people like us who know the original well but I'm not sure they necessarily are out of place. They're dumb, but so is Cait Sith, and if you asked my non-FFVII-veteran girlfriend which seemed more out of place, she'd probably tell you it's the weird cartoon cat.

So yeah, I'm really conflicted over the whole thing. I do think that handwringing about the definition of the word "remake" is pointless, though.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

guts and bolts posted:

I think the dev team was trying to go for the idea that remakes don't have to be 1:1 recreations of classics with new graphics and voice acting. Even then, apart from the ending, this game is extremely a remake! Everything that happened in the original FF7 also happened in this one, more or less, up until the last cutscene, barring Wedge being dead versus alive. There's more stuff in it, but they didn't really cut anything, and then the ending happens. In that sense it makes sense that they'd call this one FF7 Remake and the next ones will drop the "remake" from the title entirely.

I mean at the same time, at the end of midgar you are in the literal same exact position you would be in the og game so like ?????

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

What you are saying is significantly more true in the original. "Why are we chasing this guy?" is never really made clear until Cloud drops 2+ hours of exposition on you and even then it's tenuous. Having Sephiroth show up, loving kill Barret, and then dare the party to change Destiny serves as a valuable plot device - you are introduced to the actual bad guy of the game and everyone has a personal stake in the outcome. Would you have preferred they end the game on Motor Ball? Like... seriously?

My assumption going in was that they'd have a Jenova fight as the final boss after Motorball, especially because the first Jenova fight in the original game just kinda comes out of nowhere anyway. Moving it earlier wouldn't be too big a deal, and Jenova would make a pretty fitting final boss.

Clearly I was thinking too small :v:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Is this Vino guy seriously calling the remake trash? Seriously? 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘭𝘺?

Buddy I've seen loving trash alright. it's called Ride to Hell: Retribution.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 16, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

I think a big part of it is that a lot of the things that changed and have nothing to do with the Whispers--new areas, new chapters, all of Wall Market, expanded characters like the Avalanche crew, etc.--have been received really positively. Again, I'm sure there are some ultra-purist nerds out there who are annoyed at them, but overall, it seems like Square could've changed things on that level--even down to, like, Wedge somehow surviving by falling into an underground Shinra lab--without any real uproar or controversy. And expanding on the story to that degree would on its own have made this a pretty exciting remake, even over the course of three parts.

But again, there's a lot of dumb poo poo in the original FFVII. They feel out of place to people like us who know the original well but I'm not sure they necessarily are out of place. They're dumb, but so is Cait Sith, and if you asked my non-FFVII-veteran girlfriend which seemed more out of place, she'd probably tell you it's the weird cartoon cat.

So yeah, I'm really conflicted over the whole thing. I do think that handwringing about the definition of the word "remake" is pointless, though.

Yeah it's okay to be conflicted over it because it's most likely going to not go away until we see exactly how this plays out. Which we won't know for 2-3 years at the very very very earliest. I posted a few pages ago that the super optimistic viewpoint was that the whispers are 'dead' and the dev team got over the 'we can't faithfully remake the entire game plot by plot' hump with the end and now they will most likely follow the same script, make changes, have the same familiar set pieces and dramatic moments but have them happen for different reasons or at different times. That's the most optimistic take I could come up with.

I'm sure we can just look at KH3 and write novels about the pessimistic version of the outcome.

But crying an essay that is trying to argue the actual terminology behind the word "Remake" while focusing on 5% of the game is just absolutely loving childish.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I kinda think they should have saved the Sephiroth fight for later and left it at beating the whisper things (with the big one turned into a proper boss fight), but I get why they didn't.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flopsy posted:

No you see he liked 95% of it and had a good time but gosh would you believe that the 5% just absolutely sent him into a blind rage that he not only destroyed his ps4 and controller but he has contacted the authorities AND his lawyer so that he can fight a legal battle with Square?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Asema posted:

I mean at the same time, at the end of midgar you are in the literal same exact position you would be in the og game so like ?????

Yeah, I'm personally of the opinion that not much is actually going to change plot wise for the next part, excepting that all the Zack stuff seems to be a wild card at the moment.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I'm personally of the opinion that not much is actually going to change plot wise for the next part, excepting that all the Zack stuff seems to be a wild card at the moment.

If the other Avalanche members are still alive, I wonder if they'll get poo poo to do with Zack in Midgar while the A team is off chasing Sephiroth. If they start throwing in a bunch of stuff like that though, the games are either going to have to get substantially longer or there's going to be five of these things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Side note I'm really glad they put a Jenova fight into this because this version of J-E-N-O-V-A is loving amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpNkx2uXLY

I absolutely love how they have it build up and tease you with the full theme through each phase. It's really dark and imposing for a while, with bits of the J-E-N-O-V-A theme coming in and out but never quite reaching the big, iconic riff every FFVII player knows. Then the final phase starts and the synth riff hits and the piece does this sudden accelerando and it owns so hard. What an awesome way to use this theme.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Harrow posted:

The Whispers are literally a stand-in for purist fans who insist that things must be the way they were always meant to be - it's extremely obvious allegory - and if you dislike that, that's fine, but it's important to consider the meta reasons for their inclusion and not just the diegetic purpose they serve in the narrative. Aerith's gambit is the FF7R team's gambit; we're going to change things in the hope we can make it better the second time around, even though the first time was a success and there's a good chance we actually just make it worse.

But there's a chance it could be better. So why not, wahey.

It is extremely worrying to think that Tetsuya "lol did you even try to play KH3" Nomura is a controlling voice in the direction this sub-series will take, to be sure. Nu!FF7 could be loving horrible from here on out, it's true. Concerning stuff! But maybe not! Maybe this new poo poo extremely rules and it turns out they pull it off. That is both the allegory being made in-game and the actual meta discussion about the game.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DrNutt posted:

I want moar turk content.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
god the absolute banger of an OST is something that I believe everybody can agree on

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Asema posted:

god the absolute banger of an OST is something that I believe everybody can agree on

The OST is the one area where I'm being a weird purist and probably need to get over it.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Here’s a though... how would Aeris not dying help Sephiroth win? Her only contribution after her death was guiding the lifestream in the end - but she only had to do that because the others spend most of the rest of the game stumbling around aimlessly due to loosing the one person who knew what needs to be done.

now that Sephiroth has had some time to chill out and appreciate what being Dead As gently caress really means, maybe he's having second thoughts about this whole "follow Jenova to my demise" thingamajig. maybe he's gonna betray Jenova and help the gang save Aerith and the planet. the final battle is Cloud, Zack, and Sephiroth fighting Jenova's true form in a zone where time does not exist and she can be defeated forever. boy i bet the posts about that game would be really mad

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinteres posted:

The OST is the one area where I'm being a weird purist and probably need to get over it.

You'll get there.

I thoroughly enjoyed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr4hSqlo1sU way more than I should have.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh man turning Seph into a playable ally would be amazingly stupid, yet also brilliant.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

now that Sephiroth has had some time to chill out and appreciate what being Dead As gently caress really means, maybe he's having second thoughts about this whole "follow Jenova to my demise" thingamajig. maybe he's gonna betray Jenova and help the gang save Aerith and the planet. the final battle is Cloud, Zack, and Sephiroth fighting Jenova's true form in a zone where time does not exist and she can be defeated forever. boy i bet the posts about that game would be really mad

Well now the thought is getting me excited.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Asema posted:

If I had known I would have ordered that 7 disc limited edition Japan only soundtrack no matter the cost.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Buddy I've seen loving trash alright. it's called Ride to Hell: Retribution.

I'm pretty sure he's just calling the last 5% trash. Which, I can mostly agree with. Remove all the poo poo with the Whispers and I would be significantly happier with an already really good game (apart from the ending).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Avalanche / Local Florist / Lab Rat Dog / Up Your rear end was such a great moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3GQFC1K-kk&t=7777s