Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

A sourdough ball the morning after a pizza night.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ogopogo posted:

A sourdough ball the morning after a pizza night.

Where’s the ring?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

Where’s the ring?

Ring free for food safety!

Margherita from my curbside pickup night -

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Ogopogo your results look consistently awesome. You may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but what are you using to cook yours and do you have any tricks (turning down flame before cooking, baking steel, etc)?

Just got an Ooni Koda 16 from the wife for our anniversary. Going to test it out tonight.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

mls posted:

Ogopogo your results look consistently awesome. You may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but what are you using to cook yours and do you have any tricks (turning down flame before cooking, baking steel, etc)?

Just got an Ooni Koda 16 from the wife for our anniversary. Going to test it out tonight.

Thank you! It's been a long and fun journey to this point. I'm currently using a Pizza Party Pizzone wood fired oven, and I love the thing for its portability and ability to fire off pizzas in 90seconds.
My biggest advice really is getting a handle on your dough recipe and what style of pizza you're after. I make neapolitan style sourdough pizzas, so I have a couple of extra factors to take into account. If you're more into NYC/Sicilian/grandma/roman style pizza, then there's some work to be done on your end to determine the best recipe and hydration for your dough and knowing the environment in which you prep. I live in the desert with barely any humidity so I have to be aware of that for when I'm working my hydration ratios or during the bulk/balled ferment stage. NYC style pizzas that use active dry yeast can be made and bulk fermented in the fridge, then balled out and put back in the fridge for a few days of low and slow fermentation/proofing. For my sourdough neapolitans, I typically make my dough around 8pm, bulk ferment in the fridge for 12 hours, ball out the next morning and let proof in a cool room for another 8-10 hours then cook around 6pm that day.
Once you have a properly proofed and well made dough ball, cooking it is fairly straight forward.
I had lots of luck with my baking steel in my regular oven back in the day, as long as you can really crank it to 500-550F. NYC style doughs really rock around 650F, so the closer you can get to that the better. The broiler is also your friend for finishing that top.
Less is more in the way of ingredients - it's tempting to load up a pie with all your favorites but the amount of cheese/veg/meat you put on affects how well that dough of yours will cook. Remember that those things are usually pretty wet, and will steam out water as they cook and make for a soggy crust.

Th Ooni is a great piece of kit, I had the 1st gen one that he did the kickstarter for. It worked well until I melted out the fan props, but the models these days are much better designed . Post pictures of that thing with your pizza!

Hope that long rambling post helped, I'm happy to answer any more specific questions.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is it true that round baking steels are rare now and you can only get the rectangular ones anymore?

If so, why?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Probably rectangular ones are way easier to use and deal with, and work well with things other than just pizza.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bakingsteel seems to still sell them but they are OOS right now till may.

i think they might have discontinued the model i got, which is a round, 3/8" thick steel with a grease groove on one side for griddling

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My baking steel keeps getting surface rust on it... even after scrubbing it off and re-oiling it's coming back. Kinda frustrating.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BraveUlysses posted:

i think they might have discontinued the model i got, which is a round, 3/8" thick steel with a grease groove on one side for griddling

That's the one I have. Got it as a gift like six years ago and now I use it all the time.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

ShaneB posted:

My baking steel keeps getting surface rust on it... even after scrubbing it off and re-oiling it's coming back. Kinda frustrating.

By any chance are you baking bread and leaving the water tray in during oven cool down?

This was my mistake this week.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

By any chance are you baking bread and leaving the water tray in during oven cool down?

This was my mistake this week.

Nope! I have been using it a bit more in the oven as a heat spreader/shield for the above rack, which has a cast iron dutch oven for sourdough baking. That's it. No steamy stuff.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What is the trick to making a pizza with a thin crust but a thick edge? Do I just pinch a ridge around the whole thing and use more dough on the edge?

My wife is asking for a pizza with a crust (I like deep dish with cheese to the edge so the question is hard for me to consider).

It seems like it goes against most baking rules I've learned about making sure all of your layers are similar in size.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A deep dish is more of a cornbread you roll out and shape. Which you can also do with a sloaped pan if you are so inclined.

If you are baking on a stone you essentially nailed it. Just YouTube it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Work excess dough from the middle to the outsides when you're shaping to get that extra dough buildup around the edge. Also you'll get more rise from the edge if you keep sauce off it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I think I got maybe carried away in doing dough that was too wet, I tried to make doughs that were like 80% hydration and I just can't spread them without them either being way too covered in flour or like they just instantly spread too thin and get stuck to the peel

I think maybe 65-70 is more the sweet spot for being able to keep it thick enough to not instantly stick

Also I made some bread that was like 65-70% hydration and I couldn't actually tell a huge difference as far as like it didn't seem dry or tough or anything to me

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
From what I've read, pizza dough hydration should be matched to your oven temp. The idea being the longer cook times that result from lower temperature bakes will dry out your dough more, so you need to up the hydration to compensate. E.g. If you've got an oven that can get up to 700-900 F, you'd probably want something in the 55-60% hydration range for Neapolitan style (maybe a little higher for the lower end of that range), but if you're stuck with your typical 500-500 F home oven, you probably want something around 70% hydration.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Splinter posted:

From what I've read, pizza dough hydration should be matched to your oven temp. The idea being the longer cook times that result from lower temperature bakes will dry out your dough more, so you need to up the hydration to compensate. E.g. If you've got an oven that can get up to 700-900 F, you'd probably want something in the 55-60% hydration range for Neapolitan style (maybe a little higher for the lower end of that range), but if you're stuck with your typical 500-500 F home oven, you probably want something around 70% hydration.

Hmm that seems backwards from what I know? As far as I know neapolitan dough is very wet and NY is drier but I could be wrong

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Stefan Prodan posted:

Hmm that seems backwards from what I know? As far as I know neapolitan dough is very wet and NY is drier but I could be wrong

Well, style of pizza is also a factor. But within a given style, that rule applies. The example I've seen is if you're making authentic Neapolitan pizza @ 900 F you'd want something like 58% hydration, but if you want to make Neapolitan style in a home oven you'd want more like 70%, or the dough will dry out.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Splinter posted:

Well, style of pizza is also a factor. But within a given style, that rule applies. The example I've seen is if you're making authentic Neapolitan pizza @ 900 F you'd want something like 58% hydration, but if you want to make Neapolitan style in a home oven you'd want more like 70%, or the dough will dry out.

I run a 69% hydration for my Neapolitan dough in a 900F oven, lower hydration’s are better for lower temps/longer bakes as far as I’ve seen. The heat essentially flash vaporizes the water in the dough and causes that super light, pillowy, thin style crust.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

What is the trick to making a pizza with a thin crust but a thick edge? Do I just pinch a ridge around the whole thing and use more dough on the edge?

My wife is asking for a pizza with a crust (I like deep dish with cheese to the edge so the question is hard for me to consider).

It seems like it goes against most baking rules I've learned about making sure all of your layers are similar in size.

when you have the dough ball and lay it on the flour, push an inner ring around the disc with the tips of your fingers and go around. then you can pick it up and stretch with your knuckles staying within the pinched ring of dough. that outer part will, as a result, not get stretched and will have a better chance to rise. Also a good high rise on the crust entails high high heat. In my lovely rear end oven that required a pizza steel to refract heat as fast as possible to the dough. And put your stone or steel under the top broiler. if you have a bottom heating element, keep the stone or steel on the lower rack instead. thats what works for me.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

ogopogo posted:

I run a 69% hydration for my Neapolitan dough in a 900F oven, lower hydration’s are better for lower temps/longer bakes as far as I’ve seen. The heat essentially flash vaporizes the water in the dough and causes that super light, pillowy, thin style crust.

Whatever works, works. My example was based on the AVPN guidelines, which works out to ~55-60% hydration I believe based on the flour ranges they give.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Tried out the Ooni Koda 16 last night for the first time. Definitely a learning experience. Minor hand burns and some singed hair. I didn’t have a turning peel and my wood launching peel wouldn’t do the trick so I ended up scrambling for a metal spatula and tongs. I tried it with a baking steel (don’t recommend since it overlooks the bottom) and used ndjua, mozzarella, and basic. Wife made the dough but we are out of 00. Overall, I really like the oven and the idea that I won’t have to heat up the whole house during the summer. Thanks for your tips ogobogogobo I’ll use some of them next go around. About to buy an infrared gun, turning peel, and 55 lbs of 00

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Really proud of this -- been experimenting with pizza since I've been stuck inside, and this is the best result I've gotten. Was supposed to be a weird cheese bread -- but will use this dough again and do a proper, fully spread out pizza. Getting decent yeast made a HUGE difference.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Fundamentally, you'll have to toss the dough by hand rather than roll it out. If you work all the parts of the dough except for the very perimeter, you'll have that thicker, outer ring. If you are having some trouble with it then try a more hydrated dough. Just slide both sides around in some flour before handling and that should offset the extra stickiness.

I've been experimenting with a higher hydration lately and it comes with its own flaws. They're not browning as well now, but it encourages me to keep the pizzas in the pizza oven longer. This appeases my wife who thinks I tend to make them underdone. The crust will develop a lot more little boils, which would be something of an authenticity flaw, but I haven't met a person that didn't prefer them.

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm not really focused on baking steel at all but now you got me going on a griddle. I want to slap one in my grill to get some more miles out of it. Also, maybe one on my big burner. I love me some smashburgers. I didn't really think that a baking steel place would be a good source for them!

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I tried something different; sfincione! Not exactly pizza, but certainly pizza-adjacent, it's Sicilian, and features a focaccia-like crust, tomatoes, anchovies, bread crumbs and a ton of onions. Hit the spot.

Graphic closeup image:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Fundamentally, you'll have to toss the dough by hand rather than roll it out. If you work all the parts of the dough except for the very perimeter, you'll have that thicker, outer ring. If you are having some trouble with it then try a more hydrated dough. Just slide both sides around in some flour before handling and that should offset the extra stickiness.

I've been experimenting with a higher hydration lately and it comes with its own flaws. They're not browning as well now, but it encourages me to keep the pizzas in the pizza oven longer. This appeases my wife who thinks I tend to make them underdone. The crust will develop a lot more little boils, which would be something of an authenticity flaw, but I haven't met a person that didn't prefer them.

I'm not really focused on baking steel at all but now you got me going on a griddle. I want to slap one in my grill to get some more miles out of it. Also, maybe one on my big burner. I love me some smashburgers. I didn't really think that a baking steel place would be a good source for them!

I took to making smashburgs with my baking steel over a turkey fryer burner outdoors. With no lip I could get the spatula under them to turn them, and doing it outside meant no smoke inside.

10/10 would smash again

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Made some actual round pizzas for a change. Bought a bigger pizza stone and an actual peel to use. Things are getting real now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
God that looks like the most perfect ideal pizza to me, good job man.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I tried making some sauce from fresh tomatoes, but it was too much liquid and the pie ended up a bit soupy in the center. Bad pizza is still pizza, and it comes out pretty good reheated on a skillet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Drain the liquid next time with a fine mesh strainer. Or just cook the sauce for longer until it thickens up.

How long did you cook the sauce? What kind of tomatoes?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I stick with sauce I've cooked down for about an hour or so. I like it thick.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
My first try with our new Ooni Koda, pretty happy with it. Need a wetter dough next time (this was kenji's home oven dough recipe) and an infrared thermometer (managed to light one pie on fire) but I think it's gonna work well:

large hands fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 22, 2020

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Last pizza I made, with 70% hydration so that I could stretch it out a bit more without it falling apart which I can't do if it's 80%+

This was also my first time trying cornmeal instead of flour on the bottom and it instantly made it taste like Mellow Mushroom to me

Was very good!

Rude_Dude
Jun 2, 2009
Has anyone ever tried using shaved low moisture mozzarella instead of shredded? A very popular pizza place in my town (featured on Action Bronson's vice show) does it this way (video showing here https://youtu.be/Ap1GmGGZPKs?t=339). I like the coverage and look of it.

Also she says they like to joke around with the customers in this video which is a nice way of saying "we have lovely customer service." JERSEY.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Rude_Dude posted:

Has anyone ever tried using shaved low moisture mozzarella instead of shredded? A very popular pizza place in my town (featured on Action Bronson's vice show) does it this way (video showing here https://youtu.be/Ap1GmGGZPKs?t=339). I like the coverage and look of it.

Also she says they like to joke around with the customers in this video which is a nice way of saying "we have lovely customer service." JERSEY.

That's basically how I've been doing NY style pies and it works great. Only difference is I probably add too much, and my slices are generally thicker than theirs.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Pepperoni in the Koda today. Tried oonis dough recipe, it was ok but harder to work than a longer ferment dough:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice lookin pizzas! the price on that koda is pretty tempting, might have to think about getting one eventually

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

nice lookin pizzas! the price on that koda is pretty tempting, might have to think about getting one eventually

I can't recommend it highly enough, it's small, light, attractive and instantly transformed my homemade pizzas into real pizza. Sips propane and heats up quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've been debating pulling the trigger on an Ooni myself. The Koda looks like an easy to use winner, but any thoughts on their other models that can use wood/charcoal (and also gas via add-on, e.g. the Karu)?

Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 24, 2020