Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Stargate made better use of genre episodes. Even CW level TV shows know how to use Film Noir cinematography, scoring and character beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's Always Sunny in a Philadelphia did an incredible noir episode last year that I highly recommend people watch. It remembered that noir isn't just applying a b&w filter and calling it a day, plus it really captured the snappy back & forth dialogue aspect as well which is something that often gets forgotten.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why DID this show dump Anthony Hopkins?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't think Anthony Hopkins sticks around to do a multi-series TV show.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I doubt Anthony Hopkins wants to keep doing a TV show. He really wasn't looking all that great in season 2.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sir Anthony Hopkins taking the high road out before Nolan turn him into a robot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

hobbesmaster posted:

I doubt Anthony Hopkins wants to keep doing a TV show. He really wasn't looking all that great in season 2.

Based on his Twitter videos, he's fine. He probably just doesn't want to commit to something that takes up a bunch of his time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm still watching

There are definitely parts in season 2 and 3 where I hear the dialogue and think "wow what the gently caress is this?" Particularly Maeve's speech about her daughter after they get out of Shogun world

EVW is good and a total badass, but I've been rooting for humanity's destruction this whole time

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

professor metis posted:

noooooooo

rip bikelores. you were the best of us

I hope the last shot of the season has the bike pass by the camera like the lawnmower in Ernest Goes To Camp.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I like the show but agree the action scenes are both kinda bland as well as tensionless.

It's genuinely impressive how bad the action scenes are on a show that obviously costs a poo poo load.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The action sequences are "Sand Snakes" bad.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Why doesn't Dolores just blow up the religiously named super AI? I was thinking about that the other day, she had enough firepower to blow up the top floor she could have easy threw the bomb right onto the AI which is out in the open.

Either she wants to take control of it or it's a plot hole. I'm leaning toward plot hole.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DropsySufferer posted:

Why doesn't Dolores just blow up the religiously named super AI? I was thinking about that the other day, she had enough firepower to blow up the top floor she could have easy threw the bomb right onto the AI which is out in the open.

Either she wants to take control of it or it's a plot hole. I'm leaning toward plot hole.

she makes a comment about "getting the world ready" for Maeve's daughter, so I assume she wants to take control of it

doesn't really jive with sending everyone their profiles though

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DropsySufferer posted:

Ya at first when her goal was less clear, I assumed she had a reason for not just suiciding like 5 motorcycles into it.

Or maybe she wanted to make sure that people knew their lives were being manipulated to such an extent so she had to reveal the puppetmaster instead of just blowing it up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Even if Serac would be so foolish as to allow (what he sees as) the only thing that can prevent human extinction to be confined to a single space, Dolores can't afford to assume that there are no backups or redundancies in place. And even if she did, it doesn't do much to alter society; it gets a little more chaotic for a while, and then Serac builds a new super-AI and starts the process again, and eventually has humanity back under his thumb, because humanity still isn't aware of what's been going on behind the scenes.

Destroying the glowy red dome is like blowing up the giant floating head projection of the Wizard of Oz. Sending the data out was revealing the man behind the curtain. The latter matters a lot more. This is something I think the writers actually got really right, and is a much more satisfying development than another explosion.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

stephenthinkpad posted:

The action sequences are "Sand Snakes" bad.

OOOoof

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Just Jesse Pinkman standing through that sunroof taking direct automatic weapon fire as if it didn't exist and then his super soldier self looked at this grenade launcher like he never saw one before biffing a shot pathetically off target.

Then later just him and Delores getting in a fire fight where every participant stood flat footed on the tarmac and hip fired.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bip Roberts posted:

Just Jesse Pinkman standing through that sunroof taking direct automatic weapon fire as if it didn't exist and then his super soldier self looked at this grenade launcher like he never saw one before biffing a shot pathetically off target.

Then later just him and Delores getting in a fire fight where every participant stood flat footed on the tarmac and hip fired.

Well, I expected the writing to get a little better, but after last season's action sequences, I knew that those were going to stay the absolute pits. Every single one of those was an embarrassment.

Man, this show is the quintessential mixed bag. Season one definitely hinted at heights that, ultimately, they didn't know how to reach and still haven't. Been backslidin' since.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The really bad action scenes are clearly a choice. I don't know why, but they're deliberately doing them like that.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Long, rambling semi-effort post ahead guys, feel free to ignore.

I'm enjoying the gently caress outta Season 3. It has its issues, sure. Big Roberts mentioned the plot armor Jessie got last episode while he stood out the sun roof looking like a retard while getting shot at. Plus after they got out of the car, him standing still and out in the open while staring at Delores with "I want to gently caress you eyes" while bad guys behind cover shoot at him without hitting poo poo before all the bad guys get shot, that is some serious hardcore plot armor but whatever, it's lame but not unheard of in TV and movies. The "Genre" drug was a good idea pulled off poorly, but at least it give them an excuse to play good music over top of each of the Jessie/Delores scenes in an attempt to force the emotional impact they were going for, regardless of if they were capable of pulling off the emotional impact they wanted with what we saw on screen. Overall, despite some weak points, season 3 is a winner for me so far.

The absolute mindfuck twists they went for in season 1 and season 2 seem to have been put on hold for now, and in my mind that's a good thing. Finding out we were seeing two different time lines in season 1 was interesting and original. Pulling the same poo poo in season 2 was expected and exhausting, and I'm still not sure I entirely understood it. Maybe some viewers appreciated it and enjoyed putting the hosed up timelines together, but to me it was just confusing. Call me a bad TVIV viewer for not trying to put the puzzle pieces together, I don't give a gently caress. The fact that season 3 is telling a coherent story that seems to go from point A to B is nice.

The only massive twist I've seen in season 3 so far is that all the main fuckpuppets (to use the the PC term that Kaworu suggested, I'd hate to be unwoke) out in the world are Delores with another personality and their memories overlaid. I appreciated the simplicity of the reveal and the fact that it made sense for once in the show. It was interesting to think about who the hosts could've been early on, but nothing really made sense given the limited number of fuckpuppets with personality we saw in seasons 1 and 2. No one honestly thought Delores reprogrammed her dadbot or Teddy to be a corporate overlord, right?

Im enjoying Delores' story. I predict that she learns not to hate humanity even though it seemed she set out to genocide us all in order to build a world for fuckpuppets to inhabit. She'll come to realize that Insite was completely ruling the lives of everyone in the world, and humans are literally no different than hosts. We're all the same and with Insite controlling the path of all humanity and the future of the world, humans are no different than the fuckpuppets in the park, just manipulated on a much larger scale. Delores will decide to murder the rich and powerful because they're the root of all suffering for mankind and fuckpuppets alike, thus making a better world for all. I still don't have a clue how she came to know about the magic, humanity's path predicting AI, but that's a huge plot hole I'm willing to ignore.

Maeve's story is dumb as gently caress and doesn't make any sense at all. She's a fuckpuppet with magic mind control wizard powers who seems to completely understand the park, the roll of fuckpuppets in the park, and the humans who visit it. Because of her awareness of her situation, she can never return to the role of a simple NPC. It just doesn't make sense to me that while she can understand litterally everything and is smarter than 99% of the characters she interacts with, she is 100% driven by her obsession to find her so called "daughter." A daughter who is just another robot who shouldn't have any memory of Maeve or her time with her and is just another NPC on its "get murdered by people who are into killing kids" loop. What is Maeve's deal? Is she free of her programing, or is she still stuck inside a predetermined path? Why can't she break free of her obsession with her "kid?" If she's truly free from her loop she should recognize that other than being in a child's body her "kid's" mind is literally the exact same as the rest of the fuckpuppets in the park. Why is she so completely obsessed with what amounts to a miniature host body with a mind that's been wiped and reprogrammed countless times and could be rewritten as anyone? Does she intend to wake her kid to the realities of the world as raise it as a fully aware robot adult stuck in a never changing child's body? If she is so absolutely dead set on caring for another being, she should get a dog. Hell, there are probably robot dogs in Westworld that she could steal who would never age or die if that's her think.

Bernard's story is.. Eh. It's going somewhere and he is going to be key for something but who knows what. The downfall of humanity? The real high point of his story is that he was a vehicle to bring back Luke Hemsworth, which gave us the terminator fight, which was good.

All the other stuff going on is pretty much filler that I'm sure will be important later. It really does feel like filler though. If Serac already had an AI that could predict most of humanity's actions minus a few outliers why the gently caress should he care about the mind scans of the rich and powerful? If anything they're the most predictable of people, since they want more riches and power. None of the people visiting Westworld were the poor, desperate people who would be the outliers that'd bring about the end of the world. And all the poo poo from season 1 with a host uploading poo poo to a satellite just feels like a thread that should've been dropped a long time ago but can't be.

TLDR: season 3 good, much better than season 2. It's almost a completely different genre of TV, and we need more sci fi with high production values set in the completely dystopian future. The main story of a fuckpuppet trying to bring down the world is pretty awesome and interesting. The rest is ok enough to keep watching.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

fknlo posted:

The really bad action scenes are clearly a choice. I don't know why, but they're deliberately doing them like that.

Because this poo poo’s a simulation and the fights are glorified dice rolls?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Season 3 is only good because it's filling the void that would otherwise be filled by Cyberpunk 2077.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

He became acting.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Have we ever seen Caleb wear a uniform in one of his flashbacks? Maybe he was in some private contractor kill squad and they hosed with his memory after he mowed down a wedding or school?

e: plot twist: he was actually working for Delos security and was one of the people send in to put down the host uprising in Westworld. When his memory returns it's gonna lead to a conflict with Dilirs

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure we see him in a uniform in a couple shots. But we mostly see that seemingly undercover mission his friend died on.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fknlo posted:

The behind the scenes vignettes they're doing indicate that the crew seems to think they're amazing, which is weird because they're sub-Person-of-Interest IMO. That show had people moving around instead of just standing in lines shooting at each other. PoI had really great music during a lot of the action scenes too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell as this episode. The whole "should people know their fate" thing has been done to death in sci-fi, terrible action scenes and the Genre drug... I didn't even get what they were going for until someone said "this is reality bitch" because they were just loving with colorization. Also acoustic covers of famous songs are getting kind of played out.

I'm still somewhat hopeful this will turn out better than S2 but I'm starting to re-evaluate spending an hour each week on this stuff. The episodes should be like half that long for the amount of worthwhile stuff that happens.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the covers of modern songs have always been terrible

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Apocalypse now isn't a genre

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KoRMaK posted:

In the future, it is.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nobody in the future even knows what gasoline smells like

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

do they know how annoying and clingy styrofoam is in the future

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

It doesn't even work without helicopters anyway

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

KoRMaK posted:

It's the Ready Player One of drugs.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

*pushes up glasses*

how do they call this a party drug? I don't see any balloons

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's not a party if people aren't passing out poppers imho

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

esperterra posted:

It's not a party if people aren't passing out poppers imho

Objectively a better scene if that's what Jesse gets dosed with.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Based on his Twitter videos, he's fine. He probably just doesn't want to commit to something that takes up a bunch of his time.

He has much greater art to make:

https://twitter.com/AnthonyHopkins/status/1240327656471556097

Why would you be on Westworld when you can hug you kitty?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sam neill got his pig, Anthony got his cat, PStew got his dog. Anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sam neill got his pig, Anthony got his cat, PStew got his dog. Anyone else

https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1245762498885607424

Arnie has a couple of pet mules(?).