Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
series x will have a slight advantage in absolute power but ps5 looks to be continuing with architectural improvements from the ps4 which will make development easier, and will probably be cheaper to make. i think the only way the xbox "wins" is the same way as when they pulled ahead at the start of last generation: being cheaper and having exclusives. microsoft would probably need to go very hard on loss leading to make the series x cheaper and this generation was all about both of them making their hardware profitable by itself within the first 12 months of release. if the series x is more expensive thats probably the end of it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
glad there aren't any console-only games I care about in this wave. Gato Roboto and Deliver Us the Moon are both on my to-play list so that's cool

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1250468976796110848

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

tjones posted:

Not that I'm taking up for MS being dumb about their UI design, but lol at the people complaining about poo poo that isn't true. You can get to the settings menu from the XBOX side menu, along with almost every other menu/section you'd ever need.

It's cool how you twist my experience of not finding something that's been moved in the UI into "poo poo that isn't true".

Anyway, you are right, looks like they moved it under "Profile" on the left-most side whereas previously it was its own 'System' tab on the right-most side. That's a good example of them constantly moving things around for no good reason like I said.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Barry Convex posted:

glad there aren't any console-only games I care about in this wave. Gato Roboto and Deliver Us the Moon are both on my to-play list so that's cool

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1250468976796110848

I'm super curious to see Gears Tactics.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does it have a console release date yet? Really weird the couldnt launch at the same time everywhere for a marquee franchise series in this age of play anywhere

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Maybe it means they focused on mkb usability first instead of just making a consolized UI

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

hambeet posted:

Forza horizon 4 isn’t grabbing me as much as 3 did

I think the Lego expansion was a wasted opportunity given how amazing the Hot Wheels DLC for Horizon 3 was. They did so much with it in the 3rd game since by nature the Hot Wheels license allowed for some crazy stuff and while Lego owns, it's a weird inclusion for a racing game and you can tell they didn't really know what to do with it.

Red Warrior posted:

I'm real interested to see what is coming next in the Forza franchise. I know Horizon 4 was the last game but it seems like Horizon has become the cash-cow. I'd love to see a surprise Horizon 5 but I guess it still makes too much sense to launch the Series X with a new mainline entry.

They're totally prepping Forza Motorsport 8 as a launch game, that'll be the next Forza title and I imagine they'll still do the back-and-forth where they alternate between Motorsport & Horizon releases. What's also interesting is Playground Games have another studio open now that are apparently working on the Fable IP? So they're going to be making both Forza Horizon and Fable games. I'm not sure if they'll be able to maintain yearly Forza releases however, they might go two years now between Horizon/Motorsport games? E.g. If Series X launches this year with Forza 8 I'd expect Horizon 5 in 2022 and Forza 9 in 2024. Then again maybe Motorsport will be a one-off launch for the entire generation that just gets DLC instead, kinda like Gran Turismo Sport. Seems sensible for the Motorsport franchise, they can just keep building on a solid foundation with more cars/tracks compared to Horizon that always needs to go to a new location. Motorsport would make a good candidate for a GaaS game.

My only hope with Forza Motorsport is that going forward they're not so obsessed with real-life licensed circuits. There are some great ones and true classics (Nordschleife, Laguna, Le Mans, Bathurst, Brands Hatch, Infineon) but they make reeeeeeeeeeally good fictional circuits and that's their strong point, but they've fallen into the same trap Polyphony Digital did and it's affecting the game like it's affecting GT. People had to wait until the last Motorsport game of the generation to finally get Maple Valley back and that is hosed up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

Maybe it means they focused on mkb usability first instead of just making a consolized UI

Fair but the whole point of the xbox sdk was to make it seamless to port these games

Instead we are left with a bunch of unsatisfying possible situations

If they made gears tactics with no controller in mind thats a major gently caress up cause they could have planned from the beginning how to handle it like halo wars for instance was made and launched on win10 and xbox simultaneously with both schemes

If they just didnt put the money behind it thats not a good sign for how ms is going to treat what should be a major game. Imagine if like uncharted had a tactics or duh look at mario x rabbits for how big a deal nintendo treated a tactics spinoff game with their marquee console characters. Xbox cant even ensure a gears game is on console day one despite their whole mantra being cross play and gears fanbase being mainly on console

If they think the genre is not going to do well on console or caters to a pc only crowd (despite xcom console sales being huge) like an age of empires they picked the wrong ip.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gears Tactics looks really fun and I want to play it real bad.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Real hurthling! posted:

Fair but the whole point of the xbox sdk was to make it seamless to port these games

Instead we are left with a bunch of unsatisfying possible situations

Minecraft Dungeons not being crossplay/save on release is also another bummer. Would have been the perfect game to play on the bone at home and move across to the switch on the go.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Previews for Gears Tactics have shown that there's controller options available and Steam page mentions partial controller support.

I don't understand why they wouldn't release it simultaneously on both platforms. Going PC first is unfortunate since Chimera Squad is also PC only and much cheaper.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

And an IP that is much more well established on steam

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SUNKOS posted:

I think the Lego expansion was a wasted opportunity given how amazing the Hot Wheels DLC for Horizon 3 was. They did so much with it in the 3rd game since by nature the Hot Wheels license allowed for some crazy stuff and while Lego owns, it's a weird inclusion for a racing game and you can tell they didn't really know what to do with it.

Just to give another take on this, I thought the Horizon 4 DLC was a lot better than that of 3. I'm probably in the minority, but I thought the Hot Wheels expansion was hot garbage because it boring as poo poo to look at. Blue and orange plastic tracks suspended in mid-air. The cars were cool, but you only got a handful.

The snow mountain DLC was made completely reduntand with the release of 4 as well.

I'll admit the overall base map of 3 was better however.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

If they think the genre is not going to do well on console or caters to a pc only crowd (despite xcom console sales being huge) like an age of empires they picked the wrong ip.

I don't mind waiting for Gears Tactics, it's not like there's a shortage of great games to play and reviews say it's a fantastic game so I'll just patiently look forward to it :)

On the subject of PC-to-console games however, I am wondering when Grim Dawn will finally be released on Xbox. I think the devs have been saying it's nearly ready for 2-3 years now? Strange situation.

You mention XCOM console sales being huge and I was thinking about picking the collection with the War of the Chosen DLC etc. during the sale that just ended (and the sale before that, and the sale before that...) but I keep seeing mentions that the console versions of XCOM2 are broken and have a lot of bugs/glitches as well as often crashing and wiping saves. I looked at recent user reviews from this year which seem to echo the same sentiment so I don't know what to make of it. It's just not worth it to build a gaming PC imo and I'm used to console gaming being the safe guaranteed-to-work option which I prefer but stuff like this makes me wary.

I wanted to buy Worms WMD since it looks like the perfect 2D Worms game as well but apparently the console ports of that are busted too? :(

Fly Ricky posted:

Just to give another take on this, I thought the Horizon 4 DLC was a lot better than that of 3. I'm probably in the minority, but I thought the Hot Wheels expansion was hot garbage because it boring as poo poo to look at. Blue and orange plastic tracks suspended in mid-air. The cars were cool, but you only got a handful.

Honestly a big part of why I liked that Hot Wheels DLC was the visual aesthetic being like a classic Sega arcade racer.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fly Ricky posted:

I'm probably in the minority, but I thought the Hot Wheels expansion was hot garbage

this is what we in the business call a wrong opinion

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xcom2 imo was a bad port on console just because of the insane loading times but yeah there were bugs too

Edit: oops awful app has me twisted up

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 16, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I wonder when that XCOM-styled game made by one of the original dudes will come to console? I can't remember the name but it looked cool and then when launch came it was suddenly Epic Store exclusive and people were pissed. It looked really promising from the early gameplay vids and seeing how enemies evolve/mutate based on how you play.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I turned on my xbox with the intent of playing that savage planet game, but instead just played skate 1 for two hours.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's their first time doing a Xcom like game and they horribly hosed up Gears 5 so they want to get it completely right before even thinking about doing a controller version so that's fine with me. It's a PC genre anyway.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

I wonder when that XCOM-styled game made by one of the original dudes will come to console? I can't remember the name but it looked cool and then when launch came it was suddenly Epic Store exclusive and people were pissed. It looked really promising from the early gameplay vids and seeing how enemies evolve/mutate based on how you play.

Phoenix point i think? Impressions were sour from what i saw but maybe just a bad sample

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I turned on my xbox with the intent of playing that savage planet game, but instead just played skate 1 for two hours.

You should still fire it up, its a fun if very short game that got the devs bought out by Google

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

RBX posted:

It's their first time doing a Xcom like game and they horribly hosed up Gears 5 so they want to get it completely right before even thinking about doing a controller version so that's fine with me. It's a PC genre anyway.

The big problem with Gears 5 was that there wasn't enough maps at launch because they added that silly escape mode. Rather than focus on adding more maps to make up for this they just keep on adding more and more modes and it doesn't make sense. They added Free-For-All with like... two or three maps? I know one or two were randomly generated but that's left untouched now and they just added some sorta-CTF mode along with talking about a new map for that escape from the hive mode but still. To their credit they've brought some Gears 4 maps over to kinda fill the void but Gears 5 looks so nice that they stick out like a sore thumb in comparison to the native maps and I can't figure out wtf. The game's good but people play it for multiplayer and horde, and thankfully both of those use the same maps so why are they making dumb new modes when they should be making new maps?

And yeah, I know they just released that one new map and there was that ugly coliseum map which I'm convinced was a binned Gears 4 map because of how unfinished it looks but :psyduck:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Barudak posted:

You should still fire it up, its a fun if very short game that got the devs bought out by Google

Apparently Google finally took down the "Don't be evil" sign in their headquarters. Must be freakin' weird/depressing for the people working there to walk in and see that gone.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this is what we in the business call a wrong opinion

Hey I warned you I was in the minority.

A big part of the appeal of the Horizon series for me is the variety of environments. Hot Wheels had almost none of that. The base map in 4 doesn't have a ton relative to the others, but the seasonal effects sorta cover it up.

But I can see how it would appeal as a change of pace.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Are they just....out of stock on Xbox One X on amazon or is it just me?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It’s entirely possible, they did just make a big deal of slashing the price.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also: is there a fan favorite for XboxOne rechargeable battery packs? AA batteries always annoy me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

People spending their stimmy money!

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also: is there a fan favorite for XboxOne rechargeable battery packs? AA batteries always annoy me.

I use the Ikea rechargable AA's. They are unbranded eneloops and work great.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BrownieVK posted:

I use the Ikea rechargable AA's. They are unbranded eneloops and work great.

How long does it last you think?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How long does it last you think?

I've never really tracked how long my eneloops last. I just realize my controller keeps dying and then swap in new batteries and put the old ones on the charger and keep playing.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I bought two pairs of Eneloops like a decade ago and they just recently started to refuse to charge. I've used them a lot.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Why not use the official kit? Even if there are some crazy high density AAs, you're losing out on convenience having to remove them to charge every time. And if you want an instant backup, you can get and use multiple units

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ruffian Price posted:

Why not use the official kit? Even if there are some crazy high density AAs, you're losing out on convenience having to remove them to charge every time. And if you want an instant backup, you can get and use multiple units

Getting ripped off for no less convenience

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

4 2 dollar batteries or 2 20 dollar packs?

Plz help my family is dying

Edit: holy poo poo msrp of 30 dollars

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

I debated getting the official wireless adapter for my PC because the $7 bluetooth adapter would intermittently lose signal when sitting on my couch (8+ feet) and I was getting pissed off about it.

I suppose I could just get a male to female cable and plug it into that instead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm glad I got a free wireless adapter with my Rift all those years ago.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My xb1 controller was unusable via bluetooth on my pc without an extra dongle.
Tons of latency and connection issues.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

My xb1 controller was unusable via bluetooth on my pc without an extra dongle.
Tons of latency and connection issues.

What was the extra dongle you got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Same here, the bluetooth signal when paired with a PC has all sorts of weird problems.