Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

There is kind of a key difference between FF13 stagger and FF7R stagger.

FF13's stagger constantly increases the bonus damage - in fact, even when an enemy isn't actually staggered, you get bonus damage, it's just that getting staggered gets you an extra 100% added on. FF7R has stagger be a static +60% to damage taken, modified by some abilities we get later on.

Due to this there isn't the COM(/SAB)/RAV balancing act of actually increasing the number and making sure you can maintain that bonus; stagger doesn't drop at all until the enemy actually gets staggered. (...Then it feels like it drops super quick, at least compared to 13, but maybe that's just me!)

The rate at which the stagger meter drains once an enemy is staggered seems to depend on the enemy. Some enemies/bosses stay staggered for a really long time, while others have very small stagger windows. It always sucks to use those stagger damage modifier boosting attacks you mentioned but then not actually have time to capitalize them on some bosses :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I mean, abs on armor are fairly commonplace, as are huge codepieces. No reason to believe an alternate medieval-renaissance culture where female warriors are more common wouldn't have boobplate armor.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LiefKatano posted:

There is kind of a key difference between FF13 stagger and FF7R stagger.

FF13's stagger constantly increases the bonus damage - in fact, even when an enemy isn't actually staggered, you get bonus damage, it's just that getting staggered gets you an extra 100% added on. FF7R has stagger be a static +60% to damage taken, modified by some abilities we get later on.

Due to this there isn't the COM(/SAB)/RAV balancing act of actually increasing the number and making sure you can maintain that bonus; stagger doesn't drop at all until the enemy actually gets staggered. (...Then it feels like it drops super quick, at least compared to 13, but maybe that's just me!)

Hey, thanks for the info.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The really huge differentiator from FFXIII is that in XIII staggering was so generic between enemies and almost always required; every enemy was staggered in the same way and had the same basic minigame going on; hit 'em with the spells, throw in the occasional physicals, get them over the threshold, get them in the air, make number go up, then calculate the most efficient time to switch to three commandos and fill the screen with 9s. It wasn't bad, but there was only so much to do with it. It was so fundamental to XIII that the final boss was literally invulnerable unless staggered.

In VII-R, it feels much more organic. You don't need to maintain the meter and almost everything you do will add some stagger, and on more than a few mooks it's not even really necessary, but, where it does come up, enemies are hugely varied in how (and when) you get them staggered, and what's the most optimal thing to hit them with once you do. It makes the enemies much more characteristic, rather than them just being big balls of slightly different numbers.

In contrast the most interesting XIII ever got with this stuff was, there was, uh, I forget the context, but I remember there being a group of mobs whose gimmick was you had to stagger them all at the same time, or something.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jesse's breastplate just means she keeps up with fashion. This Tom Ford piece was big a few months back:

yours for only $15,000.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 16, 2020

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
In practice though it works out to about the same thing for most enemies, though it certainly does feel more organic. But yeah, for most enemies it's "cast the spell they're week to, they're pressured now, hit them with your stagger-increasing abilities like Focused Thrust, repeat if needed".

The pressure thing is the most significant practical change to the formula; this is like the pre-stagger thing that doesn't make them more vulnerable to damage yet, but when pressured their stagger gauges increase a lot more quickly. You get an ability eventually that'll clue you in to how to pressure/stagger most enemies.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Lightning Returns was a lot more varied in how you stagger enemies than XIII, but if I recall it was more opaque about what is needed to stagger each enemy than VIIR.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The big thing about Staggering enemies here is that once an enemy is pressured you want to smack them with abilities with focus in the name.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God in retrospect Lightning Returns was almost literally the foundation upon which VII-R was built, right down to managing three characters' ATB gauges and switching between them. Hell, the only thing it really lacked was the ability to desync your three "characters" so you could have them all acting at the same time.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Jesse's breastplate just means she keeps up with fashion. This Tom Ford piece was big a few months back:

yours for only $15,000.

But how many Squeenix Funbux is that? Because I got a code for 25 Squeenix Funbux with my deluxe copy of the game...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of funbucks, friendly reminder that the $2,500 Sephiroth and Cloud watches sold out almost immediately.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Fedule posted:

God in retrospect Lightning Returns was almost literally the foundation upon which VII-R was built, right down to managing three characters' ATB gauges and switching between them. Hell, the only thing it really lacked was the ability to desync your three "characters" so you could have them all acting at the same time.

As I was writing up that post I realized "wow this is way closer to LR Stagger than XIII Stagger, isn't it" but I didn't want to acknowledge LR if I didn't have to :v

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Elentor posted:

Speaking of funbucks, friendly reminder that the $2,500 Sephiroth and Cloud watches sold out almost immediately.

how many did you buy? :mrgw:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In my experience the stagger bar aeems to decrease when a boss enters a new phase

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dash Rendar posted:

how many did you buy? :mrgw:

I'm too poor for that stuff :negative:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
But for everyone else that's swimming in cash, you can buy one right now on Ebay... for, y'know, twice the price on the Squeenix shop. :capitalism:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh you're right, everything from the official store is for sale on eBay with a considerable markup.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Namtab posted:

In my experience the stagger bar aeems to decrease when a boss enters a new phase

For a lot of bosses it felt like filling the stagger bar caused the transition to a new phase, rather than damage. Which was annoying because I didn't get to actually hit them for bonus damage.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Necrothatcher posted:

yours for only $15,000.

:eyepop: ok I take back what I said about Jessie's plate

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Beat this game the other day, loved every minute of it.

Looking forward to this lp, mostly to see other people's reactions.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, this game was delightful. Exceeded most every expectation I had.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 4 - Exposition

Previous Bonus Next

Boy oh boy, that was a weird turn of events. But now that we've entered the elevator everything should be fi-

Uhhhhh

Mmmmm this is not the reactor I don't think.

Heidegger probably surprised a bunch of people that instead of being like an oversized Palmer, he looks like this.

A lot closer to his concept art:

The president just looks profoundly bored. This is the basis behind most of my theories for this game.

Right, this is new to me. I'm almost sure in the original AVALANCHE didn't do anything like that, or at least there are no mentions of it. I wonder if this is gonna be Chekhov's Gunned later on.

I am, however, pondering at how much power Shinra has here. Could Shinra just kill us at will? Would Cloud survive regardless?

I really like the work they put into the body language. Cloud is extremely cool and collected. He finds a position to stay in, and waits. Jessie is relatively carefree and energetic. Barret is anxious, nervous. He keeps walking in circles.

These body languages are more or less consistent throughout this Chapter. It's a pretty cool thing.

This is Barret's tirade from the original, trying to convert Cloud to his cause.

I laughed at Jessie's reactions in the remake. First they look at each other, then she shrugs, then -

She just covers her ears as Barret gets really loud.

You know, this may be just me, but I never saw Jessie, Wedge and Biggs like uh, strong-willed people in the original. My interpretation wasn't as much "these people really want to follow this cause" as much as "Barret just convinced them". This is just how they play in my head.

In a weird way these characters seem even more out of place in the Remake. I like all of them but they just don't feel like they should be here. Don't take me wrong, I don't think this is an issue per se, people find themselves in places they regret all the time in the real world.

But compared to how exaggerated Barret is, Wedge, Biggs and Jessie just look like friends who really like wearing bandanas.

:laffo:

My first thoughts here were "holy poo poo, they actually wrote Cloud as a terrible douchebag".

Jessie just turns to him in disbelief. This scene is glorious.

I thing I got kinda stunned. My main worries at this point is how much they'd miss the point of the characterization, and while I still have my doubts about Aeris (don't spoil!) right now I was like "did they just OutCloud the OG Cloud?"

So yeah this was a pretty amusing exchange.

Speaking of the original, I can't believe they kept these goofy-rear end designs. You know, these:

We get it Barret.

Seriously, look at how goofy these things look compared to the rest of Shinra's equipment. And yes, yes, I know there is sillier. Still, they look kinda like toys. I had put this on the budget of "designs that are gonna change because they're too silly" and to my surprise they're here.

lol

This is straight up played as a comedy.

*Canned Laughter Track*

And you know, I'm fine with it.

So as you guessed these things exist to give Barret his long-range role.

The Camera is not... amazing. It's one of the things I don't like so far. Right, Barret like I said has a long range attack and an overcharge ability. After that you can just hold Triangle to recharge that ability if you want, and roleplay Megaman.

We're in the area equivalent to this:

By the way if you've noticed these updates together are all considerably bigger than, you know, the first Mako Reactor in the original, that's because this whole thing is a lot bigger.

By skipping the dialogues and just rushing you can speedrun this entire chapter very, very quickly, but if you're paying attention to stuff the amount of new dialogue, cutscenes and voice acting pads the playtime a lot.

This right here is the videogamest thing.

Oh come on.

Previous Bonus Next

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 27, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 4 Bonus - Jessie's Thirst

Right, all you people who got the demo early warned the world about this, and the world did not believe. You are vindicated.

There is no way we're not gonna acknowledge this, especially since Jessie plays like a main character who totally isn't going to die (and I still have that theory, don't spoil it) and she gets a ton of exposition.

So yeah, Jessie is... a character. It almost feels like this game really wants to set the ground up for, I imagine, Honey Bee Inn. You know, get the player used right from the start.

"FF7 had a lot of sexual innuendos in it and the character models barely resembled human beings even in the abstract sense."

"No, seriously, the original is hosed up, just imagine what this game is gonna be like."

"You're gonna have to be desensitized to this kind of stuff if you want to have any hope of getting through Wall Market."

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 17, 2020

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I seem to remember some mention of Crisis Core or Before Crisis or Core of Cerecore that the president (or maybe it was Rufus) was kidnapped by Avalanche, or someone claiming to be Avalanche, or someone was claiming to be Core. So that's probably referring to that?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Elentor posted:

Speaking of the original, I can't believe they kept these goofy-rear end designs. You know, these:

We get it Barret.

Seriously, look at how goofy these things look compared to the rest of Shinra's equipment. And yes, yes, I know there is sillier. Still, they look kinda like toys. I had put this on the budget of "designs that are gonna change because they're too silly" and to my surprise they're here.

The "23" is probably something you do to mark out screenshots, left in by accident? Which is why the original FF7 screenshot is pasted twice over?

I feel like these updates are really short.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
It was Before Crisis, yeah. The I guess "original" Avalanche was a fair bit bigger than our little grassroots ecoterrorist cell.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
It’s a big relief they nailed the characters personalities right off the bat. What a huge mountain of work even this opening section must have been for them.

I like the expanded details on Avalanche.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Elentor posted:

I'm not sure that there are any enemy designs in all of Midgar that they changed because they were too silly.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Really makes me wonder about the oft-talked about war with Wutai. A bunch of ninjas versus a bunch of completely ridiculous mechs.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Crisis Core opens with the end of the war, actually.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

You can zoom the camera out in the options. It's still not perfect, but it helps.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I really enjoy the character work they did with Jesse Biggs and Wedge. They provide needed contrast between the broody Cloud and Barret being himself early on. The Jesse thirst is over the top, but I thought it works really well and fits with how excessive everything else is in the game. Chew that scenery!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

I really enjoy the character work they did with Jesse Biggs and Wedge. They provide needed contrast between the broody Cloud and Barret being himself early on. The Jesse thirst is over the top, but I thought it works really well and fits with how excessive everything else is in the game. Chew that scenery!

Yeah I essentially had to get used to it. My first reaction was "wow this is a bit too much" especially given the context.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Final Fantasy VII is not a subtle game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Barret speeling his name with only one "t" really bugs me for some reason

I also want to know how his hand gun works

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It works really well.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

If I ever have the expendable income to do a cosplay (because I was a theater major and therefore everything creative I do MUST BE PERFECT), I'm gonna go as Barrett cosplaying as Samus

Also if I had to see this so do all of you

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr Pepper posted:

Final Fantasy VII is not a subtle game.

Yeah. I prefer changes that go in this direction than sanitizing the thing. Besides I think this is the first time we see some of these characters turbocharged instead of replaced with new personalities.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oh hey, this is up. I enjoyed reading/lurking the original LP, so I'm glad to see how Elentor handles the remake.

Barret speeling his name with only one "t" really bugs me for some reason

From watching some combat videos, I think it might work on a funky pump-action type of system. Barret seems to have one burst of bullets always ready, but when he runs low or wants to add more rounds (for some of his other attacks), he effectively pumps his arm like it were a shotgun to "reload" his gun arm. It's weird, but that's my best guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Tryhard tip: Barret’s Square finisher shares the same animation as Recharge does after using Overcharge. If you hit Triangle at that moment you can boost the meter’s refilling by the same amount as Recharge without sacrificing the damage of holding down Square.

Cloud has a similar trick. You can hit Triangle to switch to Punisher mode while blocking attacks in Operator. Do this with correct timing while blocking a melee attack and the counter-attack will trigger, even though you started in Operator. This lets you block ranged damage while fishing for a melee attack.