Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Made in Elizabeth South Australia, just like Snowtown. So 240v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

:350:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Quit smoking or the longest animal in the world will kill you

https://i.imgur.com/uysreHt.mp4

Siphonophores are cool as, I was just saying to the Mrs the other day that if I had enough income to not worry about money and be comfortable, I'd go and do marine biology and study poo poo like this, it absolutely fascinates me

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
I wish I could still scuba and wish Id done a lot more when I was able.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My mate's old man quit smoking as soon as he retired. He went on a long-awaited, well-deserved round Australia trip with his wife and just didn't take cigarettes. Brave move on her part honestly, but apparently it was so much fun he forgot about the smokes.

He went from a guy who had a tall ashtray - standing height - in the living room and would smoke a dart while using an aerosol can to someone who just didn't smoke. His house and cars still smelt like smoke years after.

His kids are totally anti-smoking after living in that house, to the point where my mate physically cannot smoke weed. He's tried and I've watched and it just can't go in. They're pretty pleased the old man got off the smokes.

My dad has tried to quit for decades, going through gums, sprays etc. What got him to cut down was the prices skyrocketing and him doing some math on it. I wouldn't say he's necessarily cheap, but he's certainly got a thrifty streak. He crunched out how many thousands he'd spent on cigarettes and instantly dropped like 60% of the intake. Lot of money saved which is important for someone who's recently retired. We all had big laugh when I said he'd have more money to spend on mum.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
My old man quit by moving onto vaping before getting rid of the vaping last year. Still uses nicotine spray but nothing else.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Social distancing rules and lockdowns brought on by the coronavirus pandemic are causing more than half of all Australians to feel stress.

It's the first insight of just how the virus is affecting our mental health, with isolation and worries around money the top causes.

A staggering 57 per cent of respondents said they were feeling the toll of COVID-19 lockdowns.

quote:

Millennials were the most stressed of any generation while older Australians reported their relationships were doing ok amid the coronavirus pandemic.

quote:

New data shows that one in five Australians have purchased more alcohol than they normally would over this crisis.

And 70 per cent are drinking more than they normally would.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...ba-a875c7eec992

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Kharnifex posted:

Use that terrible drug that gives you crazy dreams worked for my mates

That poo poo helped me nearly quit 10 years ago but then I had to go on anti malarials before moving to west africa, where smokes are cheap and abundant. I finally quit by stopping drinking entirely and tapering down to one cigarette a day. Smoked one a day for a good 3 months before stopping. I miss it and Im back drinking but it took me a good 10-15 beer sessions without smoking before the cravings went away.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I got a little under 5 litres of ginger-pinapple cider drink from my little homebrew setup

Very encouraging and I'll be making a good 20 litres or so after I test a scalable recipe

So yeah I'm drinking more I guess

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I went from brewing and several hundred litres of beer a year (for reference, I still have about 100L in collaborative batches that are being stored at friends' places in Toowoomba, aging away) to pretty well just not brewing or really even drinking when I moved to Sydney, predominantly as a way to save money.

It's been a blessing in disguise, I've dropped weight like no tomorrow because of it and more careful watching what I eat

I really need to go get all that beer bottled and brought back home

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

For me smoking was heavily tied to drinking. I really had to make some drastic, albeit temporary lifestyle changes to break the cycle. I'm glad I did and I'm back running again and generally feel a lot healthier.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Yellow mushrooms keep growing in my lime tree pot and it's giving me the shits. I've scraped off the top layer of soil a couple of times but they keep coming back. I'm worried the cat is going to eat one eventually.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

having a footbath while i work from home

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Airstream Driver posted:

Yellow mushrooms keep growing in my lime tree pot and it's giving me the shits. I've scraped off the top layer of soil a couple of times but they keep coming back. I'm worried the cat is going to eat one eventually.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/514873372469721?group_view_referrer=profile_browser

Given how broke brained ausgbs posters are I'd warn against Champix, it sounds dangerous .

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

heads up bong lords, https://www.australianvaporizers.com.au has a 20% off storewide sale, with an additional 5% off for orders over $200, and 5% on top of that for $300 or more (so max 30% discount)

They're probably one of the best locally owned online businesses i have ever dealt with in any market.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Laserface posted:

heads up bong lords, https://www.australianvaporizers.com.au has a 20% off storewide sale, with an additional 5% off for orders over $200, and 5% on top of that for $300 or more (so max 30% discount)

They're probably one of the best locally owned online businesses i have ever dealt with in any market.

I have purchased from these guys multiple times and went down to their warehouse to pick up the goods directly and they are v good people who have free 2 compartment grinders sitting on the front counter. You know, the cheap clear plastic ones with a storage container in one side.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I've done a few orders from them and they're usually p good but my last order was picked completely wrong and it took ages to get fixed. They probably just had a new dude in distro or whatever and their CS rep was fine to deal with but I'm still kind of lovely about it a few months later if you can't tell

I also used to pick up orders in person when I was in brisbane and their irl dude is really nice

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They hosed up my order once by duplicating it and sending it to me twice. Unfortunately it was just a vape battery and a glass stem, but easily $30 worth of goods for nothing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i kind of got the reverse of that where I bought a couple of things worth about a hundred total and they sent me like 20 bucks worth of volcano spare parts so there's no way I wasn't chucking a poo poo at them via gods chosen medium for civilized people to lose their poo poo; email.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Laserface posted:

They hosed up my order once by duplicating it and sending it to me twice. Unfortunately it was just a vape battery and a glass stem, but easily $30 worth of goods for nothing.

I sure hope they gently caress up and send me my order I just made twice

<3 thanks for posting this

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Kharnifex posted:

Given how broke brained ausgbs posters are I'd warn against Champix, it sounds dangerous .

It gave me intolerable nausea. I didn't even get to the full dose.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Free nvj

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the second day of not smoking is already way more tolerable, I've got this poo poo on lockdown, no durries no worries

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

There should be a 100% discount on NVJ's resub because he was wrongly permabanned tbh

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Had a case today where someone broke bad and died cooking meth in their mum's house so uhh don't do that in your home and use proper PPE I guess is the lesson here yall.

e: fixed cooked sentence.

naeka fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 17, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

naeka posted:

Had a case today where someone broke bad and died cooking meth in their meth in their mum's house so uhh don't do that in your home and use proper PPE I guess is the lesson here yall.

yo dawg we heard you like cooking meth so we cooked some meth in your meth?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

McSpergin posted:

There should be a 100% discount on NVJ's resub because he was wrongly permabanned tbh

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

there are so many annoying aggressive antagonistic posters in GBS and they ban the guy who was actually funny. Like I thought permabans were for pedophiles and stuff. Like, I'm a far worse poster than NVJ and I haven't even copped a ban.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

there are so many annoying aggressive antagonistic posters in GBS and they ban the guy who was actually funny. Like I thought permabans were for pedophiles and stuff. Like, I'm a far worse poster than NVJ and I haven't even copped a ban.

Sames. No justice in this world, just ice.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

Isn't there a multiply permabanned poster who won't stop making death threats against politicians but regularly gets unpermad for it? And yet we remain NVJless because he wears a turban. This is loving bullshit mates.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Laserface posted:

yo dawg we heard you like cooking meth so we cooked some meth in your meth?

hahhaa just re-read what i wrote, i am cooked from dealing with that poo poo clearly.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Magpies sang a nice song about the waffle scraps.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

ili posted:

Isn't there a multiply permabanned poster who won't stop making death threats against politicians but regularly gets unpermad for it? And yet we remain NVJless because he wears a turban. This is loving bullshit mates.

don't drag the second best poster on the forum into this ya dog

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol this site made its bread and butter off banning and rebanning FYAD and ADTRW psychos for decades. Idk why they can’t just let NVJ promise to be as well behaved as those folks and take the $10.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In the early days of the Keating era, the new Australian Prime Minister was all about forging a national identity through art. Can you imagine? A big part of this was something referred to as his 'Distinctly Australian' initiative – essentially a government funded push to create cultural content which reflected Australian values and aesthetics. The golden-era of ABC Kids was largely due to this push from the Keating government.

One of its more daring programs was Li'l Elvis and the Truckstoppers. An Australian-French animated production which followed the life of the illegitimate bastard son of Elvis Presley, abandoned in the outback by The King himself (allegedly) to be raised by two mega-fans as a rockabilly wunderkind.

He played in a skiffle band with 'Asian-Australian' drummer Janet (who played upright like the Velvet Underground's Maureen Tucker) and Lionel, an Indigenous kid who infuses the otherwise classic rock group with some wild didgeridoo playing. They were essentially an outback Neutral Milk Hotel. All the while they're trying not to get exploited by grubby manager W.C Moore, a Twiggy Forrest type, who is constantly using his magic marble to beat the kids at their favourite schoolyard game (marbles.)

You couldn't make it up, but somebody did. It was a massive international production that cost 11.5 million to make. Taxpayer funded.

The program ran for 26 episodes, and now sits as a weird chunk of nostalgic ephemera floating in the hazy days of 90s Australian children's broadcasting – next to Agro, The Ferals, and Round the Twist. What I find funny is that a show designed to shift Australian children away from Americanised broadcasting and into the cultural signifiers of our national identity was essentially about the looming influence of America's cultural empire on Australia and Australian art: the bastard son of its most recognizable pop-icon, uncertain of his roots, a shadowy reflection of the great American 'other.'

But who was Li'l Elvis? And did the show succeed in its quest to be 'distinctly Australian'?

To find out, I tracked down the voice behind the li'l man himself, Stig Wemyss.

Noisey: Li'l Elvis was part of Keating's 'Distinctly Australian' initiative, can you talk a bit about that?

Stig Wemyss: Keating was a visionary. It was refreshing to have a leader that was so passionate about Australian culture, he saw the need to implement policy that ensured it lived on in our children.

It was a large and expensive project. Was there pressure to make sure it succeede'?

The pressure only came from me. I was proud to be the lead in a brave new style of animation and I felt a sense of responsibility to ensure we made it the best we could. It is a fickle industry, you can't predict what will work and what won't. All you can do is make it the best you possibly can, and hope for the best. I am proud to say we achieved that with Lil Elvis.

The villain WC More reminds me of Twiggy Forrest or even Barnaby Joyce. Is it weird that a cartoon villain reflects so much of modern Australia?

I think it reflects the brilliance of the piece. It shows maturity and insight in the writing and is perhaps the reason it has lasted the test of time. It remains one of the breakthrough children's television programs of its time. Perhaps Barnaby used to sneak into the lounge at 4.30 on weekdays and secretly watch it. I wouldn't mind betting if you asked Mr. Joyce, he would tell you he modelled his public persona on WC Moore.

What are your thoughts on the ABC Kids boom of the 90s? Will we see something like it again?

Back in the 90s the Children's Television Foundation were charged with producing vast amounts of content to meet local quotas and it was a wonderful thing for the industry. It provided so much work for and more importantly, gave Australian stories back to Australian kids. Instead of growing up in the 53rd State of America, kids were hearing about their own culture and history.

In what ways was the show indicative of 90s Australia?

It was indicative of Australian culture. It highlighted our larrikin sense of humour and showed off a beautiful part of the country that most city kids never got to see. Because it was an animation, it had a licence to go where ever it wanted with no budget restrictions. The cost to make a show like that with real actors in remote locations with those outrageous stunts, would be completely prohibitive. As an animation, Lil' Elvis Jones and the Truckstoppers provided true escapism. Fantastical unreal reality that was grounded in the one thing that sustains all of us, friendship. It struck a chord with it's audience so perhaps the best person to answer that question is the audience. What do you think Patrick, was it indicative of 90s Australia?

Is it hard to make Australian content in a market saturated by American culture?

Yes, and it continues to get harder. The more our television is flooded with American content, the harder it becomes. It already feels like American content is the norm, so when you do see the odd thing that is distinctly Australian, it feels like that is the foreign stuff. How hosed up is that?

Do you remember the songs?

Yes. I was the spoken voice of Elvis but Wendy Stapelton sings the songs. Lots of effort went in to making sure our voices matched as we transitioned into the musical numbers. Wendy was awesome.

How did you settle on a voice for the illegitimate bastard son of Elvis, raised in the outback as a music wunderkind?

Prior to the show, I had been doing voice over work for a number of years so I had collected a catalogue of character voices. It just so happened that voice number 703 was described as 'the illegitimate bastard son of Elvis, raised in the outback as a music wunderkind', so I just used that.

I always found it curious that a skiffle group had a didgeridoo player, they were almost an experimental band.

I love the didge and in that outback setting, it was totally perfect. You found it curious in the same way that some people thought it was curious that ACDC featured bagpipes in a gritty, hard-hitting Aussie rock anthem, but can you imagine "Long Way To the Top" without it?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
unban NVJ, take me instead

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

In the early days of the Keating era, the new Australian Prime Minister was all about forging a national identity through art. Can you imagine? A big part of this was something referred to as his 'Distinctly Australian' initiative – essentially a government funded push to create cultural content which reflected Australian values and aesthetics. The golden-era of ABC Kids was largely due to this push from the Keating government.

One of its more daring programs was Li'l Elvis and the Truckstoppers. An Australian-French animated production which followed the life of the illegitimate bastard son of Elvis Presley, abandoned in the outback by The King himself (allegedly) to be raised by two mega-fans as a rockabilly wunderkind.

He played in a skiffle band with 'Asian-Australian' drummer Janet (who played upright like the Velvet Underground's Maureen Tucker) and Lionel, an Indigenous kid who infuses the otherwise classic rock group with some wild didgeridoo playing. They were essentially an outback Neutral Milk Hotel. All the while they're trying not to get exploited by grubby manager W.C Moore, a Twiggy Forrest type, who is constantly using his magic marble to beat the kids at their favourite schoolyard game (marbles.)

You couldn't make it up, but somebody did. It was a massive international production that cost 11.5 million to make. Taxpayer funded.

The program ran for 26 episodes, and now sits as a weird chunk of nostalgic ephemera floating in the hazy days of 90s Australian children's broadcasting – next to Agro, The Ferals, and Round the Twist. What I find funny is that a show designed to shift Australian children away from Americanised broadcasting and into the cultural signifiers of our national identity was essentially about the looming influence of America's cultural empire on Australia and Australian art: the bastard son of its most recognizable pop-icon, uncertain of his roots, a shadowy reflection of the great American 'other.'

But who was Li'l Elvis? And did the show succeed in its quest to be 'distinctly Australian'?

To find out, I tracked down the voice behind the li'l man himself, Stig Wemyss.

Noisey: Li'l Elvis was part of Keating's 'Distinctly Australian' initiative, can you talk a bit about that?

Stig Wemyss: Keating was a visionary. It was refreshing to have a leader that was so passionate about Australian culture, he saw the need to implement policy that ensured it lived on in our children.

It was a large and expensive project. Was there pressure to make sure it succeede'?

The pressure only came from me. I was proud to be the lead in a brave new style of animation and I felt a sense of responsibility to ensure we made it the best we could. It is a fickle industry, you can't predict what will work and what won't. All you can do is make it the best you possibly can, and hope for the best. I am proud to say we achieved that with Lil Elvis.

The villain WC More reminds me of Twiggy Forrest or even Barnaby Joyce. Is it weird that a cartoon villain reflects so much of modern Australia?

I think it reflects the brilliance of the piece. It shows maturity and insight in the writing and is perhaps the reason it has lasted the test of time. It remains one of the breakthrough children's television programs of its time. Perhaps Barnaby used to sneak into the lounge at 4.30 on weekdays and secretly watch it. I wouldn't mind betting if you asked Mr. Joyce, he would tell you he modelled his public persona on WC Moore.

What are your thoughts on the ABC Kids boom of the 90s? Will we see something like it again?

Back in the 90s the Children's Television Foundation were charged with producing vast amounts of content to meet local quotas and it was a wonderful thing for the industry. It provided so much work for and more importantly, gave Australian stories back to Australian kids. Instead of growing up in the 53rd State of America, kids were hearing about their own culture and history.

In what ways was the show indicative of 90s Australia?

It was indicative of Australian culture. It highlighted our larrikin sense of humour and showed off a beautiful part of the country that most city kids never got to see. Because it was an animation, it had a licence to go where ever it wanted with no budget restrictions. The cost to make a show like that with real actors in remote locations with those outrageous stunts, would be completely prohibitive. As an animation, Lil' Elvis Jones and the Truckstoppers provided true escapism. Fantastical unreal reality that was grounded in the one thing that sustains all of us, friendship. It struck a chord with it's audience so perhaps the best person to answer that question is the audience. What do you think Patrick, was it indicative of 90s Australia?

Is it hard to make Australian content in a market saturated by American culture?

Yes, and it continues to get harder. The more our television is flooded with American content, the harder it becomes. It already feels like American content is the norm, so when you do see the odd thing that is distinctly Australian, it feels like that is the foreign stuff. How hosed up is that?

Do you remember the songs?

Yes. I was the spoken voice of Elvis but Wendy Stapelton sings the songs. Lots of effort went in to making sure our voices matched as we transitioned into the musical numbers. Wendy was awesome.

How did you settle on a voice for the illegitimate bastard son of Elvis, raised in the outback as a music wunderkind?

Prior to the show, I had been doing voice over work for a number of years so I had collected a catalogue of character voices. It just so happened that voice number 703 was described as 'the illegitimate bastard son of Elvis, raised in the outback as a music wunderkind', so I just used that.

I always found it curious that a skiffle group had a didgeridoo player, they were almost an experimental band.

I love the didge and in that outback setting, it was totally perfect. You found it curious in the same way that some people thought it was curious that ACDC featured bagpipes in a gritty, hard-hitting Aussie rock anthem, but can you imagine "Long Way To the Top" without it?
:350:

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

Laserface posted:

heck yeah ive missed impulse buying poo poo :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I've had to talk myself out of impulse buying but I've justified it to myself - don't spend the money and once you've saved a few grand you can buy that dope rear end belt grinder that Zubraman recommended