Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yeah if you don't like the way the game is handling economy just ignore the economy. Great advice.

Caravans make like 400-500 gold per day after a 15k gold investment. I can craft a javelin that sells for 59k with about 100 gold worth of mats. That they are choosing to make caravans a far less safe avenue of generating income before addressing the absolutely broken smithing is a valid criticism of a game that has been in development for 10 years.

It's a beta, being patched frequently. This is not the end experience. Yes, the game has been in a very long dev cycle, but thats neither here nor there.

This is the state the game, regardless of that fact. Yes, it should be in a better place but it isn't. But they aren't saying that this is the final product.

If you aren't enjoying the combat and early game stuff --- then don't play right now. Kingdom management stinks, trading stinks, dialogue isn't finished, there are a hundred in depth mechanics that aren't resolved. Especially late game. So, yeah, if you aren't willing to mod out what you don't like or just bypass it completely --- it's going to suck.

In the games defense it is easily moddable, and patched frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
My caravans have only ever gotten to about 100 in profit daily when you factor in guards cost

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

malhavok posted:

So i sent one of my companions of on a quest and now he's stuck somewhere around Ain Baliq and I have no idea how to get him back, quest was finished long ago. I assume he got captured by bandits or something but I've been slaughtering them left and right around that town and nothing. Any idea how to find out exactly where he is?

It's a bug. Get the community patch off of nexus, I believe it has one in it that resolves it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

malhavok posted:

So i sent one of my companions of on a quest and now he's stuck somewhere around Ain Baliq and I have no idea how to get him back, quest was finished long ago. I assume he got captured by bandits or something but I've been slaughtering them left and right around that town and nothing. Any idea how to find out exactly where he is?

I think if you go to the tavern district, they will be one of the people you can talk to in the top menu.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's a beta, being patched frequently. This is not the end experience. Yes, the game has been in a very long dev cycle, but thats neither here nor there.

This is the state the game, regardless of that fact. Yes, it should be in a better place but it isn't. But they aren't saying that this is the final product.

If you aren't enjoying the combat and early game stuff --- then don't play right now. Kingdom management stinks, trading stinks, dialogue isn't finished, there are a hundred in depth mechanics that aren't resolved. Especially late game. So, yeah, if you aren't willing to mod out what you don't like or just bypass it completely --- it's going to suck.

In the games defense it is easily moddable, and patched frequently.

I'm not saying the game is finished. I'm saying addressing the "problem" of caravans earning their large initial investment back in several months time before addressing the issue of 100 gold being able to be turned instantly into 59k was an incredibly dumb development decision. Software dev is triage and they are worried about a stubbed toe while ignoring a sucking chest wound.

If you disagree with my criticism of the prioritization of dev resources here go ahead. But please stop addressing claims I never made, such as "this game isn't in beta" or "this game doesn't get patched frequently" or "this is the end experience of the game".

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Those were points I was bringing to make my own stance that it's in beta and to ignore anything to do with economy right now.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Why can my computer run through huge cities in Witcher 3 without stopping to load, but it chugs at a snail's pace trying to move through a less detailed and less busy town in this game

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Flavius Aetass posted:

Why can my computer run through huge cities in Witcher 3 without stopping to load, but it chugs at a snail's pace trying to move through a less detailed and less busy town in this game

Game beta

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yeah if you don't like the way the game is handling economy just ignore the economy. Great advice.

Caravans make like 400-500 gold per day after a 15k gold investment. I can craft a javelin that sells for 59k with about 100 gold worth of mats. That they are choosing to make caravans a far less safe avenue of generating income before addressing the absolutely broken smithing is a valid criticism of a game that has been in development for 10 years.

No joke about the smithing, I was puzzled before because people were getting outrageous sums for churning out garden forks on beta, while I was getting peanuts for level 6 stuff on main. Now that the beta build is main I'm getting 50K for two-handers and the tournament prizes I kept before the nerf are going for 70 - 80K.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

Witcher 3 is a highly polished game by a company that has a lot of resources and talent, this is early access. It's not that hard.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Parallelwoody posted:

Witcher 3 is a highly polished game by a company that has a lot of resources and talent, this is early access. It's not that hard.

Doesn't the studio have like 13 people or something?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think the point I'll make is that even from release 2 weeks ago I feel like the game has made several steps I don't like. Specifically, at launch, you could very quickly and easily grind up your soldiers on looters- simulated battles gave 8x more experience than fought battles. They changed that, so it takes an unreasonable amount of dead looters to get max tier troops, who frankly are weakened enough from Warband that it is debatable if it's even worth the investment. What was a 2 or so hour exercise to level up replacement high-level troops from fighting in battles is now a horrific grind.

The early game was about focusing on getting enough money through quests and selling bandit gear to grind up enough to start getting workshops and caravans. Not only have they now made your caravans weaker, they've deliberately (or perhaps it's just a bug) made them weaker than all the other AI caravans around- your caravans, regardless of the companion you put in charge, they still have 20 fewer troops than all other caravans. Workshops, yeah, at launch they were hideously broken, those are fine to be nerfed.

They've made high-level armor extraordinarily expensive to the point it barely spawns at all, ever.

I think I'm going to put the game down for a while, I'm still optimistic- the game at least is moddable enough that you can un-grind it if you want- but I'm hoping they reverse some of these decisions, or at least add more ways to circumvent them.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

The studio that is making Cyberpunk 2077? No, they have substantially more than 13 people.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mesadoram posted:

TaleWorld has like 100 employees and has had about that many since at least 2016.

People need to stop acting like this is the same small company with a shoestring budget that created the original M&B. It's not, and having any sort of mild criticism doesn't need "IT'S BETA HURRRR" like it's somehow the year 2002 and we don't know how video games work.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I just play mods that jack up the XP rate on troops.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

TaleWorld has like 100 employees and has had about that many since at least 2016.

People need to stop acting like this is the same small company with a shoestring budget that created the original M&B. It's not, and having any sort of mild criticism doesn't need "IT'S BETA HURRRR" like it's somehow the year 2002 and we don't know how video games work.

"Mild criticism" and "multiparagraph anger posts that start slap fight derails" aren't really the same

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

They've made high-level armor extraordinarily expensive to the point it barely spawns at all, ever.
This is frustrating, yes. I just married a wife and took her armor but its weird that all my companions are basically wearing trashbags and I'm leading tons of elite archers, cavalry, and infantry.

Incidentally, why do some of my companions not have active skills? Also it seems like if you get a companion who starts with skills, you don't get to select the perks that they've unlocked, but you can if they level up while you're leading the,m I tried to make my 120 steward spouse a governor and it didn't do anything to the fief, and she didn't have any perks under riding, trade, or steward. (also she spawned with a bow she can't use).

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 16, 2020

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

It is 2020 and we still don't know how video games work

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Parallelwoody posted:

The studio that is making Cyberpunk 2077? No, they have substantially more than 13 people.

Sorry for not being specific, I know CDPR is a giant studio lol.

Glad to hear they've grown, but sadly it seems like they pushed this out in this state for a reason. If I had to take a guess, probably financial. Hopefully they will stick with it with these frequent updates.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The only thing I've seen is people offering explanations, suggestions or mods that can alleviate the immediate issue people may be having but you do you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Weird, I scrolled up a few posts and saw this.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Weird, I scrolled up a few posts and saw this.

hth

Edit: example: Internet Explorer slow on the uptake.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Washin Tong posted:

Hi, I did more Dark Souls

These are really cool. Hopefully the game adds dyes or something so you can color coordinate your army. Didn't they have dyes in Mount & Blade?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Mesadoram posted:

Glad to hear they've grown, but sadly it seems like they pushed this out in this state for a reason. If I had to take a guess, probably financial. Hopefully they will stick with it with these frequent updates.

Corona baby~!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

All the MP right now is a side show as long as they have things in order for the release of Napoleonic Warfare 2: Waterloord.

:same: times a million

All I want is those stupid siege modes where things explode in a janky absurd way

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The price of javelins is part of an (overly) complicated economic system where the cost of weapons ties into the prosperity of settlement that can spawn it and changing the prices will change how much of which weapons are produced where. They hiked the price in 1.1 with the goal of controlling the spawn rate, with the side effect that high level smiths make even more absurd amounts of cash. The way the entire procedural economy is linked with the availability of your gear tiers is a system in need of work and with a lot of weird-rear end side-effects, but it's clearly quite complex and some designer is going to need to spend time on finding a systemic fix.

The AI ignoring caravans, in contrast, is probably a straight-forward scripting bug somewhere that some engineer fixed before lunch.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that a company doing triage ended up doing the AI fix first. You can argue that caravans should be designed differently but the person assigned to fixing AI scripting issues is not going to go off have a big discussion on caravan risk-vs-reward with the design department when that department is handing them a bug saying "AI parties are ignoring caravans".

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

These are really cool. Hopefully the game adds dyes or something so you can color coordinate your army. Didn't they have dyes in Mount & Blade?

Thanks! The banner editor does let you set two colors for your clothing and the one your troops wear.
The primary color of your clothes is set by the primary of the banner's background and your secondary is set by the main color of the object you place last in your layer order.

That doesn't mean your clothes HAVE to match stuff the banner though, you can set a huge square over the actual background and use that, and have the last layer be an invisible dummy element with size 0x0 to set the secondary you want.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

malhavok posted:

It's a bug, you can get them back by kicking them from the clan on the clan screen. Then you just rehire them at the newest settlement (including villages). It can be expensive if they have good gear, and you don't get the troops back, so install the mod that fixes it if you want to send companions on missions.

Mechanically, I think they are actually getting kidnapped by bandits. I sent a guy to clear a hideout, and they were disappeared to Ain Baliq. When I later cleared out that hideout, I found the troops I sent with him as prisoners. I know for sure because it was a bunch of weird mercs and small faction troops. It's probably just a bugged/unfinished mechanic.

Ravenfood posted:

This is frustrating, yes. I just married a wife and took her armor but its weird that all my companions are basically wearing trashbags and I'm leading tons of elite archers, cavalry, and infantry.

Incidentally, why do some of my companions not have active skills? Also it seems like if you get a companion who starts with skills, you don't get to select the perks that they've unlocked, but you can if they level up while you're leading the,m I tried to make my 120 steward spouse a governor and it didn't do anything to the fief, and she didn't have any perks under riding, trade, or steward. (also she spawned with a bow she can't use).

I think stewardship perks don't do anything yet. If you put an engineer as governor they give you a ton of extra build points.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I just play mods that jack up the XP rate on troops.

This. The game is endlessly modable, it doesn't matter what balance changes they make. That said I wish they'd focus more on bug fixing than balance changes.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's a bug. Get the community patch off of nexus, I believe it has one in it that resolves it.

That just made me crash on launch, sigh :(

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

malhavok posted:

That just made me crash on launch, sigh :(

go into modules/Your_Mod/bin/win64_shippingclient and open properties for the .dll files.

If on the general tab, you see an option to "unblock", select it. Do it for all .dll files on every mod and the game should work.

If you don't see the "unblock" then idk

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's a bug, you can get them back by kicking them from the clan on the clan screen. Then you just rehire them at the newest settlement (including villages). It can be expensive if they have good gear, and you don't get the troops back, so install the mod that fixes it if you want to send companions on missions.

Another way to get them back if you own any fiefs is to assign them as a governor. They'll appear at the assigned place and you can take them with you there. You still lose the troops but at least you don't have to spend cash rehiring them.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

go into modules/Your_Mod/bin/win64_shippingclient and open properties for the .dll files.

If on the general tab, you see an option to "unblock", select it. Do it for all .dll files on every mod and the game should work.

If you don't see the "unblock" then idk

You can try using one of the alternate launchers too. If that doesn't work then the last thing is if you changed any values yourself in a mod config file. If there's an invalid value that will cause the game to crash on load.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Vortex mod manager blows in comparison to most other mod managers. But it's better than dragging and dropping mods.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Bakalakadaka posted:

Well this was unexpected. He was moving around too so the mass of whatever this is was shifting wildly.

This is what angels actually looked like according to the bible

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Looks like a new beta patch dropped a couple hours ago with a bunch of changes. Stuff that stands out most at a glance is a bunch of performance improvements and fixes so the AI properly uses siege tower and rams instead of crowding around ladders.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

scumby posted:

This is what angels actually looked like according to the bible

I don't know about angels but I see lots of angles

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

minchar posted:

I don't know about angels but I see lots of angles

:sbahj:

Washin Tong posted:

Hi, I did more Dark Souls

these are really good

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
holy poo poo lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr-IbMZWVF0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
im super bummed they toned down the range for derpy faces. i really hope they make a come back through a well thought out mod.

Also: I remember seeing the character creator much more detailed in a preview, I swear it was. Any words if that is still to be improved?